HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
Are they the same colours as the regular seating? I cant distinguish them on the cam??
Yup, red/grey/black. It's hard to tell them apart on the webcam other than the white seat identifiers on the regular seats, and the backs are higher on the club seats.

The picture from post#2072 on page 104 in this thread shows the distinctions a little bit better.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 11:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's the webcam image showing the scoreboard:

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
Yup, red/grey/black. It's hard to tell them apart on the webcam other than the white seat identifiers on the regular seats, and the backs are higher on the club seats.

The picture from post#2072 on page 104 in this thread shows the distinctions a little bit better.
Ahhhhh, I see the difference now. Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here's the webcam image showing the scoreboard:
I wish this was a live webcam as they always tend to test these out on the floor before they lift them up in place. It would be interesting to see.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:40 PM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post
I wish this was a live webcam as they always tend to test these out on the floor before they lift them up in place. It would be interesting to see.
Link to Live Web Cam http://www.moncton.ca/Visitors/Web_C...e_Internal.htm

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 11:22 AM
Random Contributor

CTV Building Momentum

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 4:48 PM

12:44 pm and if you are currently viewing the outside camera a snowblower is removing snow from what appears to be the outside skating oval.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 8:09 PM

IIHF has announced that Canada will be hosting the World Junior Hockey Championship in 2021, 2024, 2026, 2029 & 2032. A Moncton/Saint John bid or even Moncton/Halifax would be nice to see at some point. Halifax/Sydney hosted back in 2003.

After raking in heaps of cash during the 2000's by hosting solely in NHL markets in North America, the most recent tournaments in NA didn't sell real well (Buffalo, Montreal). I wonder if we'll see them eventually go back to the smaller cities where junior hockey thrives.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
IIHF has announced that Canada will be hosting the World Junior Hockey Championship in 2021, 2024, 2026, 2029 & 2032. A Moncton/Saint John bid or even Moncton/Halifax would be nice to see at some point. Halifax/Sydney hosted back in 2003.
The conventional thought is that Moncton/Halifax gets the 2021 tournament. Saint John getting the U17s in 2018 is basically a sign that the city is out for the Memorial Cup, at least IMO.

It's become obvious with Toronto/Montreal/Buffalo that the tournament cannot be staged in multiple large-scale arenas. Vancouver/Victoria next year is going back to one large/one small and expect that to continue into the future.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:12 PM

Anyone know what this space is going to be used for? There's a door to access the ice surface. Zamboni entrance is at the other corner of the ice.

Seems like a lot of wasted seat space to access the ice.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is floor level access here leading directly to the main lobby area, useful for patrons using floor seating during concerts. Otherwise, I'm not sure if this entry point has a designated function.......

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:49 PM

The problem with Toronto/Montreal/Buffalo, is that they took place too close to each other. People who went to Toronto twice didnt felt the need to go to Buffalo and vice versa.

And Montreal...well lets just say that Laval will probably be the next spot the tournament will be held if they ever come back.

Moncton/Halifax seems like a good fit, the problem (well for Moncton anyway) is that it would mean that the Medals round would be held in Halifax (bigger arena), unless maybe Moncton covers the profit difference.

Moncton/Bathurst or Moncton/Charlottetown would be good option that would automatically give Moncton the Gold medal game.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:55 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
The problem with Toronto/Montreal/Buffalo, is that they took place too close to each other. People who went to Toronto twice didnt felt the need to go to Buffalo and vice versa.
The problem is that the tournament doesn't have exposure in larger markets and priced most people out of tickets.

Quote:
Moncton/Halifax seems like a good fit, the problem (well for Moncton anyway) is that it would mean that the Medals round would be held in Halifax (bigger arena), unless maybe Moncton covers the profit difference.
How is this a problem for Moncton? What are you talking about when you mention profit difference? If Moncton has a choice between 1) No games or 2) Round Robin/Knockout games, what do you think they go for?

Quote:
Moncton/Bathurst or Moncton/Charlottetown would be good option that would automatically give Moncton the Gold medal game.
Bathurst isn't happening. Charlottetown is unlikely. Moncton only really hosts GMG if it co-hosts with Saint John, which is less likely than co-hosting with Halifax.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Moncton events centre (8,800 seats) will not be that much smaller than the ScotiaBank Centre in Halifax (11,000 seats). One would wonder if they wouldn't split the medal games between the two arenas in a joint bid (gold medal game going to Halifax, bronze medal game going to Moncton).

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:50 PM

You dont think Moncton would want to have the Gold Medal game played in their brand new Centre??

Of courses if the only way to get the tournament is playing second fiddle to Halifax, then they'll have to do it, and I know it will be a success. I was just saying that If I was them, I would try to found a way to make it happened by checking with a smaller city. It might only a 2200 seats difference, but at 200$-75$ a ticket it will shown in the balance sheet. (loss in revenue)

As for Bronze in Moncton, Gold in Halifax. Both games are played 1-2 hour apart. That would mean moving all the TSN/RDS crew from one place to the other ($$). Plus if I live in Halifax and I buy the Total Package, I better watch both medal games live.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
As for Bronze in Moncton, Gold in Halifax. Both games are played 1-2 hour apart. That would mean moving all the TSN/RDS crew from one place to the other ($$).
Good point, I didn't think of that.

I'm sure if the bid was Halifax/Moncton that the Haligonians would never agree to being second fiddle to Moncton in the deal - they never do........

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
You dont think Moncton would want to have the Gold Medal game played in their brand new Centre??
Obviously yes, but I think you're putting more weight on a single game than you should be. Moncton should be thrilled with having the opportunity to host any U20 games over the new year. It would be foolish to argue GMG or nothing from Moncton's POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad
I'm sure if the bid was Halifax/Moncton that the Haligonians would never agree to being second fiddle to Moncton in the deal - they never do........
Halifax has zero reason whatsoever to play second fiddle to Moncton in this scenario. Bigger building, much bigger market, more exposure potential.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 10:00 PM

Moncton is perfectly capable of hosting the entire tourney by itself.
What am I missing, that we would have to do it jointly with another city?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Moncton is perfectly capable of hosting the entire tourney by itself.
What am I missing, that we would have to do it jointly with another city?
A magical influx of a half-million or so people in the immediate area would be a start, preferably with a much higher percentage of high income individuals than we have now.

List of past WJHC host cities from wikipedia

The cities that have hosted the tournament solo are Buffalo, Helsinki, Malmö, Ufa, St Petersburg and Ottawa. All cities that have well over a million in the metro area (Malmö technically has 700k, but Copenhagen with 2 million metro is 20 mins away).

Cities like Moncton (or Halifax for that matter) don't have anywhere near the population and money to support this monstrosity of a tournament without joining together. Maybe 30-40 years ago when the tournament was in its humble infancy, but definitely not today.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 11:58 PM

I see.
Yeah I can see that it's not reasonable to expect to sell 8,000 tickets at those prices.
I also don't think it's reasonable to sell tickets at those prices in Halifax, either, at least not enough to fill the rink.

I would pay that price if I could but just cannot. And I make a decent living.
Shame.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces