HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Friday, January 30, 2009
Replacement for St. Luke’s coming fast
San Francisco Business Times - by Chris Rauber

Despite the California budget crisis and worldwide credit crunch, San Francisco’s California Pacific Medical Center is making rapid progress on designing a replacement for St. Luke’s Hospital and is also moving forward with its proposed new $1.7 billion Cathedral Hill campus near downtown.

“St. Luke’s is moving faster, since the time frame is so compressed,” said CPMC spokesman Kevin McCormack. CPMC filed initial designs for a rebuilt St. Luke’s Dec. 19, he said, just three months after its board agreed to preserve the campus as part of a broader compromise with San Francisco officials, labor unions and community groups that appears to have rescued the Cathedral Hill project from potentially devastating political crossfire.

Plans currently call for a $200 million to $250 million replacement for 143-bed St. Luke’s, a significant jump from earlier estimates starting at $120 million.

CPMC will focus this year on designs and other documentation required for the Cathedral Hill and St. Luke’s projects, according to Geoffrey Nelson, CPMC’s director of enterprise development. It hopes to gain entitlements by early 2010, Nelson said, and start construction on both by mid-2010.

CPMC saved St. Luke’s from potential closure early in the decade but last year started taking steps to shutter it as an acute-care facility before a storm of protest caused CEO Martin Brotman, M.D., to backtrack.

Now that initial plans for the new St. Luke’s have been filed at the Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, “We can focus on (more detailed) design of the hospital, obviously as quickly as we can,” McCormack said.

As part of that process, CPMC is working to refine Cathedral Hill’s environmental impact report, and talking to neighborhood and community groups about its plans for the $1.7 billion, 555-bed hospital and medical office complex at Geary Boulevard and Van Ness Avenue.

Even so, officials at CPMC and its Sacramento-based Sutter Health parent acknowledge that little is certain in the current economic environment. Nor will they yet provide details on where the $2 billion needed for the two hospitals is coming from, and if it has those funding commitments in place.

“People think that health care is immune to a recession, but clearly it’s going to take a hit just like everything else,” said McCormack. “We haven’t heard anything from Sutter saying, ‘Sorry, the money’s not going to be there,’ but obviously that could change.”

Sutter spokesman Bill Gleeson said the 26-hospital system is in the midst of a “formal capital reassessment, given the current economic slump and our concern about its duration and ultimate enormity,” the first such reassessment in three years.

crauber@bizjournals.com / (415) 288-4946
Source: http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:05 PM
BANNED

77 Van Ness

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:50 PM

I really like that building. Simple, classic, great scale, etc. I think taller would be ok on Van Ness, but I'd love to see this type of building lining Mission from 14th through 30th and Geary from at least Masonic to the Ocean (Geary should have highrises from Van Ness to Divis, IMO).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 1:51 AM
BANNED

I agree with you, Gordo, but I do think that where it is it looks a little peculiar because the next-door Masonic building kind of towers over it. If it had been another couple of stories taller so they were about the same height I think the effect would have been more pleasant.

Meanwhile, I've been wondering if there's any chance any of the "stimulus" money for fixing up schools might be used for fixing up the potentially gorgeous but presently depressing SF schools administrative HQ on the next block. Anybody heard anything?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 7:14 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
I agree with you, Gordo, but I do think that where it is it looks a little peculiar because the next-door Masonic building kind of towers over it. If it had been another couple of stories taller so they were about the same height I think the effect would have been more pleasant.

Meanwhile, I've been wondering if there's any chance any of the "stimulus" money for fixing up schools might be used for fixing up the potentially gorgeous but presently depressing SF schools administrative HQ on the next block. Anybody heard anything?
It's the school district's former administrative headquarters since they moved into the former CA State Bar Association headquarters just up the block on Franklin at McAllister. The old Commerce High School was supposed to become the City's High School of the Arts, but the $25 million bond issue that we passed years ago is now wholly inadequate. As usual, some planning!

At least that's the way I understand all of this to be. It's a stunning complex though and richly deserves to be restored.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 7:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The old Commerce High School was supposed to become the City's High School of the Arts, but the $25 million bond issue that we passed years ago is now wholly inadequate. As usual, some planning!

At least that's the way I understand all of this to be. It's a stunning complex though and richly deserves to be restored.
I thought the High School of the Arts was in that building on Oak between Franklin and Gough (a block from the new Conservatory of Music). They built a new gymnasium across Oak for whatever school that is a few years ago (could be many years ago now--time flies).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 6:26 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I thought the High School of the Arts was in that building on Oak between Franklin and Gough (a block from the new Conservatory of Music). They built a new gymnasium across Oak for whatever school that is a few years ago (could be many years ago now--time flies).
No, that's the a former CalTrans building that became the shared campus of the French-American International School and the Chinese-American International School which opened in 1997. They just completed a major renovation of the facility in time for this academic year.

The old Commerce High School (on Van Ness and across Hayes from Davies Symphony Hall) eventually became the Board of Education headquarters for many years prior to their moving into their new headquarters behind the Veteran's Building in Civic Center. You can find old pictures of the CHS athletic field which was behind it across Franklin Street, where the new little condo building is rising.

The current SOTA (School of the Arts) is closer to me at 555 Portola on the former McAteer High School campus. Prior to their relocating there for the 2002-2003 school year, SOTA was on its original campus on Font Boulevard, which is completely surrounded by San Francisco State University. That parcel has been in the middle of a squabble between the Board of Education and the University for quite some time.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 8:45 PM

This is pretty funny. I haven't seen any renderings for this site, but 85 feet is certainly more appropriate than 65, so I'm not too concerned, regardless of the "goof".

Quote:
Goof gives Newsom donor 20 more feet

Robert Selna, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

(02-03) 20:14 PST -- San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom used a clerical error to ensure that one of his major political donors would get a chance to build a taller condominium project than is otherwise allowed, members of the Board of Supervisors alleged Tuesday.

The clerical error, which boosted the allowed building height of a parcel on Mission Street to 85 feet among many blocks that are limited to a uniform 65 feet, stands to benefit restaurateur Gus Murad.

Murad, who owns a popular restaurant and lounge in the area, has submitted a proposal for the condo project at 2550 Mission on a site occupied by the shuttered New Mission Theater.

Over the past several years, Murad has contributed thousands of dollars to Newsom campaigns and ballot measures. He also sits on the city's Small Business Commission.

On Jan. 6, as part of a major rezoning effort, the board approved legislation limiting building heights on Mission Street to 65 feet. Prior to the vote, there had been discussions about giving an exception to the Murad project because it had been under city review before the zoning plan was finalized and would add needed housing and other community facilities to the neighborhood.

The board declined to make the exception, but a city planner who wrote the final legislation inadvertently inserted the 85 foot height for the Murad property. The board later approved another ordinance restoring the 65 foot limit. Newsom then vetoed that legislation, placing the Murad property back at the accidental 85-foot height.

Supervisor Chris Daly said at the Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday that Newsom's actions gave the appearance of, "impropriety and malfeasance."

"And here we are with four votes, a clerical error, and a mayor who has gained politically from the property owner," Daly said. "And that's how it's going to go down. This is disgusting."

Daly was referring to the four votes that Newsom needed to sustain his veto. Newsom got those votes from his allies on the board - Sean Elsbernd, Carmen Chu, Michela Alioto-Pier and Bevan Dufty.

Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard said the mayor rejected Daly's "false accusations."

"During this fiscal crisis, the people of San Francisco need to work together not attack each other," Ballard said.

Supervisor David Campos expressed concern that a clerical error was essentially redirecting the decision of the city's legislative body.

"Isn't there a legal problem here? Campos asked. "The intent was to vote a certain way and here we are not going along with the will of the board."

Deputy City Attorney Cheryl Adams said that there was no recourse to change legislation that had already been filed and made public.

Gus Murad could not be reached for comment.

E-mail Robert Selna at rselna@sfchronicle.com.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAO915MO0L.DTL

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 9:38 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Too funny!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 9:52 PM

Quote:

i walk by this all the time and its really sad because it is such a nice building. there was even a fire inside recently and it doesnt look like much was done to fix any of the damage.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 3:27 AM
Only Mostly Dead

One Kearny update from today. The seismic addition is coming along, but I really want to see the work being done on the historic building under the scaffolding. Hopefully that will come off before too long.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 3:30 AM
BANNED

I wonder why they didn't try to match the color of the brick on the old building better on the new fake brick or whatever it is on the addition.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 3:39 AM
Only Mostly Dead

From the renderings, it looks to me like they're trying to make it look like a separate building from the outside, even though it is all one space inside.

Also, I posted a few shots of the new Diesel space in the SF Retail thread.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:51 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
I wonder why they didn't try to match the color of the brick on the old building better on the new fake brick or whatever it is on the addition.
It seems to match the restored old Chronicle building across the street.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 9:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

OK, so this isn't really even a proposal yet (AFAIK). But in the absence of much else to look at, check out this rendering for 48 Tehama, from CurbedSF:

This would fill a tiny space opposite the 500-foot proposal at 41 Tehama, which is also largely a fantasy at this point. It's supposed to be 19 floors with a hotel, offices and residences. We all know this is unlikely to see the light of day in the foreseeable future for a lot of reasons. But wouldn't it be a nice addition to this little piece of SOMA?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 7:00 AM
Green Berniecrat

That is one radical looking building. In a strange way, I like it. Too bad it'll probably be a while until we hear about it, if at all.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 7:45 AM

One Kearny

[QUOTE=peanut gallery;4068596]One Kearny update from today. The seismic addition is coming along, but I really want to see the work being done on the historic building under the scaffolding. Hopefully that will come off before too long.

Peanut Gallery - I've walked by the structure lately. I think the "brick" is metal with a baked on finish. Not my style, but o.k.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Too funny!
A blatant case of corruption. It is responsible for poverty in most of the world. I don't see what's funny about it.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 2:59 AM
Only Mostly Dead

That's because you have no sense of humor. Others of us can get a chuckle out of the series of events that created this situation. Especially here where height (and development in general) are so stymied by the process.

But don't let that stop you from thinking this building being 20 feet higher than zoned is in any way related to the amount of poverty in the world.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
A blatant case of corruption. It is responsible for poverty in most of the world. I don't see what's funny about it.
Is the it to which you refer corruption in general or the typo that allowed the extra 20 feet for the New Mission development. Either way, attributing that much global heft to corruption is simplistic and naive. But most of the 'progressives' in this town are rich with both attitudes. We all know lack of money is the real cause of poverty in the world

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations