HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:54 PM

Infill

Speaking of Midtown infill, there are two good photos at the Urban Planet forum link below that capture a recent view of the infill taking place in Midtown.

They just seem to be from a slightly different vantage point.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/t...ments/?page=44

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:01 PM

Latest Colony Square rendering

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:08 PM

Piedmont Park Infill

I would like to see more infill development between Peachtree and Piedmont Park that is of the quality seen in the Mayfair Towers. Those buildings along with the Four Seasons and One Atlantic Center give the surrounding area a little Central Park flair.
With the new buildings proposed, I am getting a little worried that it will look like the Florida Coast or Myrtle Beach along the park. As nice as the Yoo on the Park is supposed to be, it seems rather bland on the outside above the tree-line.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:12 PM

Regarding Alexan 880; yuck, looks like it got value-engineered to hell. Almost all the brick is gone.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:13 PM

They're putting glass on the front lobby part of NCR today, and it looks fantastic. I agree with the sentiment that the overall shape/scope of the building is a bit disappointing given how they marketed it as a landmark, but the materials and details so far are absolutely world class.

Rendering:

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Speaking of Midtown infill, there are two good photos at the Urban Planet forum link below that capture a recent view of the infill taking place in Midtown.

Wow that picture of Midtown from Piedmont Park is a great one. There are a lot more buildings than there were even 10 years ago. The spires give a whiff of Manhattan.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
I would like to see more infill development between Peachtree and Piedmont Park that is of the quality seen in the Mayfair Towers. Those buildings along with the Four Seasons and One Atlantic Center give the surrounding area a little Central Park flair.
With the new buildings proposed, I am getting a little worried that it will look like the Florida Coast or Myrtle Beach along the park. As nice as the Yoo on the Park is supposed to be, it seems rather bland on the outside above the tree-line.

I don't understand this worry. I agree about Yoo's exterior, but almost none of those buildings even remotely resemble one another. The tallest office towers prevent it from looking like Myrtle Beach.

Last edited by Vaden; May 2, 2017 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:

To each their own-- I have always thought of those two buildings as being among the most mediocre in Midtown. Midtown will never look anything like Myrtle Beach with its super cheap fake stucco and glass residential towers. Yes we need better buildings but there is not always agreement on what exactly that means. Lili will be great if it looks like the renderings and One Museum Place is a great building by a nationally re-known (local) architectural firm. Yeah Yoo is surprisingly bad and 880 is a TCR project (they don't know much about design and don't really care)-- Cheap matters most.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaden View Post
I don't understand this worry. I agree about Yoo's exterior, but almost none of those buildings even remotely resemble one another. The tallest office towers prevent it from looking like Myrtle Beach.
I would like to see more infill from Peachtree to Piedmont Park, with the idea of a bit more mixed use as it's a pretty large area with only a handful of restaurants and doctor's offices, other smaller offices, etc.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Restaurant owners are already saying that the Intown market is saturated with so many new offerings in all the new developments. In the Midtown core we have Colony Square planning a food hall (if they don't sign Eataly), The Canteen on 5th and Whole Foods basically functions in a similar way. There is going to be a period where some good restaurants may not make it.
I don't think that's a big deal 'cause I believe NCR alone is expected to bring 3,600 employees in the first phase. I believe the second may be an additional 1,000 or 2,000.

And CODA is supposed to have 2,400.

Just daily for lunch you're talking potentially 7,500 employees and then students on top of it.

I don't think it's a big deal particularly around Tech Square, some may not survive, but it forces good products to come to the forefront hopefully.

I personally think they should do food trucks on top of the old Office Depot or in the parking lot of the strip club once NCR opens as well, as there will be money to be made.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 9:15 PM

So I just found a video of the inside of the sales center of Opus 2 and it's really cool. They have a sort of "mock room" that has video screens that projects the view from any unit's balcony so you can see what it would be like.

Here a link to the video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BTkjp2ggsTJ/

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Somebody is proposing a massive development by the Falcon's Stadium

http://www.dca.state.ga.us/DRI/Initi...spx?driid=2686

Name of Proposed Project: Friendship Village

Location: 535 and 550 Mitchell Street, 536 MLK Jr. Drive, 35 and 99 Northside Drive

Brief Description of Project: Mixed use development with 6 Parcels including:
  • 1637 residential units
  • 134,700 SF commercial
  • 186,600 SF office

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Somebody is proposing a massive development by the Falcon's Stadium

http://www.dca.state.ga.us/DRI/Initi...spx?driid=2686

Name of Proposed Project: Friendship Village

Location: 535 and 550 Mitchell Street, 536 MLK Jr. Drive, 35 and 99 Northside Drive

Brief Description of Project: Mixed use development with 6 Parcels including:
  • 1637 residential units
  • 134,700 SF commercial
  • 186,600 SF office
Lloyd Hawk is CEO with Friendship Baptist LLC ... overseeing the redevelopment of the former church property

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:57 AM
mladýho člověka

Beautiful Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Man, our city's skyline is really looking huge!
What is wrong with building in foreground? Looks like pimple building with disease. Building is short squat undistinguished shape or form. Otherwise congratulations Atlanta very pretty very nice skyline with many classical buildings.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBalik View Post
What is wrong with building in foreground? Looks like pimple building with disease. Building is short squat undistinguished shape or form. Otherwise congratulations Atlanta very pretty very nice skyline with many classical buildings.
That's precisely the building they were commenting on, Three Alliance. I happen to like it.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 11:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Lloyd Hawk is CEO with Friendship Baptist LLC ... overseeing the redevelopment of the former church property
No CEO/Preacher of a Baptist church would be able to oversee a project of this scope. Most likely Friendship Baptist has been approached by a developer who is interested in buying this property if they can get the appropriate zoning.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I remember how excited we all were when The Spire started going up in 2004; how far we've come!

The Spire never gets the credit it deserves for pretty much being the mother of all the more recent developments happening in the area within the past decade.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 1:22 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasBalik View Post
The "pimple" effect comes from the glass panels angled in various directions so that they catch and reflect light differently. Here is a link to an up close photo of the building taken and posted a few days ago by Atlanta3000 [Post #3101]

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
I remember how excited we all were when The Spire started going up in 2004; how far we've come!

The Spire never gets the credit it deserves for pretty much being the mother of all the more recent developments happening in the area within the past decade.
Wasn't Metropolis before Spire?

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
The "pimple" effect comes from the glass panels angled in various directions so that they catch and reflect light differently. Here is a link to an up close photo of the building taken and posted a few days ago by Atlanta3000 [Post #3101]
I think he was being sardonic about the building given the most recent batch of comments arguing over the aesthetics of Tishman Speyer's 3 Alliance project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations