HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 5:08 PM

Avondale's New Tallest Approved

Somehow missed this earlier in the month, but Avondale's got a mixed-use project with hotel/residential towers planned and approved for 99th/Indian School Rd:

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...torno1010.html

Their new tallest at 8 stories.

The 101-West corridor continues to go vertical...

Quote:
Avondale's tallest building is projected to sit on 160 acres as part of a development boasting hotels, residential towers, a retail and office commerce park, and homes.

The City Council last week agreed to rezone land at the southwestern corner of 99th Avenue and Indian School Road for the project, called Entorno.

Councilman Jim Buster, who lives near the site, said he was concerned about the height of the building, which likely would be the city's tallest at eight stories high.
advertisement

"Anytime you go over four stories, people start to get nervous," he said.

But Councilman Ken Weise and Vice Mayor Charles Wolf both said the time has come to look at taller buildings near the Loop 101 corridor.

Weise said he would like to see the building even taller than eight stories.

Wolf agreed, saying the corridor is exploding with development, and Avondale should be ready to catch some of the investment along that freeway.

"Even a little bit taller along that corridor wouldn't hurt," he said.
Good sentiment from local governments regarding building height along that corridor.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 6:55 PM
-_-

Oh my god!!! That building is going to be more than 4 stories!! What are we going to do?!?!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 8:03 AM

I have a 4-bedroom 2 bath, swimming pool and spa. It's about 2 miles from the stadium along Glendale Ave. I'm thinking of renting it out for a week during the superbowl. Is anyone else thinking of doing this? How much do you think I should start the bidding at? I will be posting on eBay if I do decide to go for it. Is this a good idea you think?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 4:36 PM

I'd say its very risky, personally. If its not your primary residence, that's one thing. If it is...you're risking that they won't trash/steal anything.

However, during the last superbowl here in Phoenix, I did hear about people renting their homes for upwards of $2400 for the weekend. That was about 10 years ago too. I'm sure you could do some research online and see what homes went for at last years Superbowl - but I do think you could make some quick cash if you want to take the risk. (odds are people who would put up that much cash for a place wouldn't trash it, but stranger things have happened)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 6:27 AM
Desert Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC2001 View Post
I have a 4-bedroom 2 bath, swimming pool and spa. It's about 2 miles from the stadium along Glendale Ave. I'm thinking of renting it out for a week during the superbowl. Is anyone else thinking of doing this? How much do you think I should start the bidding at? I will be posting on eBay if I do decide to go for it. Is this a good idea you think?
You might want to check with the City of Glendale to see if that is allowed per Zoning. Just a thought (as a Planner).

-Andrew

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:47 PM

Azndragon837 is right. I could have swore that I read the city passed an ordinance a while back banning people from renting out their houses for major events.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomingthe305 View Post
Azndragon837 is right. I could have swore that I read the city passed an ordinance a while back banning people from renting out their houses for major events.
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's better to rent out the rooms and not rent the entire house. At least I can keep watch. And avoid the city ordinance thing.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:11 AM

Major projects to reshape farmland along 101
2 new developments would join 9 others
Carrie Watters
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 22, 2007 06:49 AM

Bella-Villagio, Main Street, Glendale Corporate Center, 91 Glendale, cbd 101.

Most are still unfamiliar names to residents in Glendale and the larger Valley. But, they are some of the projects that aspire to reshape west Glendale from farmland to economic powerhouse.

Word of the latest two projects is just beginning to bubble up with no formal applications yet filed with the city.

Developers with Stadium Holdings are in early talks with city planners to create Bella-Villagio west of Loop 101 and south of Bethany Home Road. They hope to create a mixed-used development with two residential towers, high-end retail, offices and an upscale hotel, according to Brent Langbehn of Stadium Holdings. The development would be in a Tuscany-style architecture with cobblestone accents, he said.

Langbehn said he hopes to see the first phase break ground in 2008.

The other mixed-use project would be on 80 acres east of the loop that have long been owned by the Pendergast family, said zoning attorney Nick Wood, who is working with developers for both projects.

The Loop 101-area projects join a slew of others in varying stages of development.

• cbd 101 - The Bidwill family plans to develop 77 acres south of Bethany Home road on the east side of Loop 101. The mixed-use project, still in the city's planning process, has a heavy corporate thrust with plans for a 40-story tower.

• Westgate City Center - The development anchored by Jobing.com Arena brought the first restaurants and office space to the area when it opened its first 500,000 square feet last fall. The project expects to boast 6.5 million square feet of mixed-used development at full build-out.

• Zanjero - East of Loop 101 and north of Glendale Avenue, the project brought Cabela's outdoor outfitters in 2006 along with two luxury apartment complexes in 2007 and four hotels that should be open by 2008.

• Zanjero Falls Corporate Oasis - Nevada-based Investment Equity Development is constructing 160,000 square feet of office condominium space and eight one-acre for-sale lots in a California Mission motif north of Glendale Avenue and east of 91st Avenue.

• Districts at Zanjero - Nevada-based Marathon Commercial Real Estate plans a 51-acre mixed-use development with two high-end hotels, retail, restaurants, offices, residential lofts and mid-rise residential towers next to Cabela's east of Loop 101, north of Glendale Avenue.

• 91 Glendale - Shea Properties, which has its headquarters in California with a Scottsdale branch, is finishing an 18-acre mixed-use project at Glendale and 91st avenues with offices, retail and restaurants. Wells Fargo should open a bank branch on the site and soon occupy one of the office complexes, making it the banking giant's West Valley hub.

• Main Street - Phoenix-based RightPath Development plans a 166-acre project west of Loop 101 stretching from Glendale Avenue to Bethany Home Road that includes retail, residential and restaurants with a resort and golf course that would snake from the south to the Los Angeles Dodgers and Chicago White Sox spring training stadium near Camelback Road that should soon break ground.

• Cornerstone at Camelback - Scottsdale-based Patrick Properties is developing 20 acres north of Camelback Road and west of Loop 101. A Comfort Inn and Denny's Restaurant should open by February's Super Bowl. A National Bank of Arizona branch and an 84,000-square-foot Class-A office complex should break ground in 2008. Retail and restaurants are planned for the remaining acreage.

• Glendale Corporate Center - Phoenix-based Opus West Corp. is constructing multiple buildings on 21 acres west of Loop 101 immediately north of the Patrick Properties. The project will boast 300,000 square feet of Class-A office space.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:12 AM

2 new projects eyed near stadium

Developments drawn to Loop 101 corridor
Carrie Watters
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 22, 2007 06:49 AM

Two more mixed-use developments are in the works for Glendale's sports and entertainment district.

Both are still in the early stages and no plans have been filed with the city. City planner Jon Froke said he hopes to see applications sometime this fall.

The developments would be just south of Bethany Home Road. One is east of Loop 101, the other west.

Bella-Villagio would be a 44-acre development with a half-mile of freeway frontage on the west side of the loop. Stadium Holdings, owned by two Valley men, is in the process of closing on the property.

The other mixed-use project involves the Pendergast family, which provided much of the land for University of Phoenix Stadium.

The family hopes to develop 80 acres east of Loop 101, although not with freeway frontage. The property is just east of the 77-acre mixed-use development the Bidwill family is planning along Loop 101.

Attorney Nick Wood, working with the Pendergast family on the project, said plans still are being firmed up.

"We won't file anything until we meet with our neighbors to the south," said Wood, referring to a county island of residents in Pendergast Estates. "We intend to meet with them and talk about our project before we file it."

Old Posted Oct 23, 2007, 4:23 AM

Here is a website on Bella Villagio: http://www.az4realestate.com/glendale04.htm

I found that website over a year ago. I just figured the project had been scrapped. Good to see that it hasn't. It sounds amazing.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 6:32 PM

The Majestic at Westgate:

http://www.westgate-living.com/

Not much info on the project but the website says a sales office is opening on 02.02.08.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:21 AM

So is Westgate ready for the Superbowl? Are the restaurants open?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:43 AM
Dbacks baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC2001 View Post
So is Westgate ready for the Superbowl? Are the restaurants open?
yes, there are several restaurants and retailers open at Westgate. FoxSports Grill and the Yardhouse are a couple of popular restaurants that are open that I can think of right now. Its been awhile since I have been out there, I know a lot more has opened since then.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 1:34 AM

Margaritaville has also opened up, and a client of ours, Paparone's, has also opened up recently.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 1:49 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Margaritaville has also opened up, and a client of ours, Paparone's, has also opened up recently.
My Dad (worlds biggest Buffet fan) dragged me into Margaritaville after the Cardinals-Rams game that we went to, holy cow, that place is nuts. Drunken middle aged white folks everywhere, screaming children in faux pirate ships, trinkets of every manner with Jimmy Buffets name on them.

As much as I don't get it, Buffet sure is a genius, he's turned himself into a Disney like brand for adults, its crazy.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:24 AM

Westgate Sucks! It seriously feels like Main Street in Disneyland. I have no intention of ever going back there. It's full of crappy chain restaraunts that have 2 hour wait times and tons of old people bitching about how crowded it is. I hate it, but that is just me. The middle age white folk out on the West Side sure to seem to love it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archdevil View Post
Westgate Sucks! It seriously feels like Main Street in Disneyland. I have no intention of ever going back there. It's full of crappy chain restaraunts that have 2 hour wait times and tons of old people bitching about how crowded it is. I hate it, but that is just me. The middle age white folk out on the West Side sure to seem to love it.
haha... that was funny. I went there on a Friday night and the wait was about an hour at Yardhouse. Of course I'll still come back to Westgate though. Not even a fifth of the places are open. I'd like to see when everything is open for business.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:19 PM

All in due time. I had a similar experience earlier on this football season during a Cardinals vs. Lions game, a match up that you wouldn’t expect to draw large crowds. The Yard House, Gordon Biersch both had an hour plus waiting time, maybe a testament to the success of this development. Although I realized that many more places need to open in order to alleviate the crowding. We ended up at Moe’s – not a place you want “hang out” at and drink beers before the game. The only silver lining is that when you look at the build out of Westgate you realize that there will be many more places to get a bite and drink. This will definitely help with the over crowding. Besides the West Valley residents are long overdue for something better than another strip mall or having to drive to neighboring cities.

My only real complaint has more to do with the Bidwell’s, I absolutely hate the Bidwell’s . They have shown nothing but contempt and disdain towards loyal fans that have continued to support an underperforming team that has done little to earn that loyalty. The parking scheme is a joke, you have to be a season ticket holder just get into the stadium parking or to tailgate and some how, even though they are limited in their involvement with Westgate you also need the same pass to park at Westgate. Since when did the Bidwell’s take over Westgate? What type of agreement did they make that allows them to monopolize parking at a development they are not developing? If you don’t have a pass and once you slogged through an hours worth of traffic to get to the stadium you will need to park at a satellite parking lot and catch a shuttle bus . As much as I hated ASU’s limited amenities – and I mean an elongated bathtub as a urinal limited – there was none of these shenanigans going on, screw the Bidwell’s!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:21 PM

I went by Westgate last night to go to the Sweet O Wine (or something along those lines) which isn't too bad and then noticed the Puma store had opened and stopped in there.

Overall the place isn't that bad, I just wish it was bigger and had more "streets", not just that middle area surrounded by a sea of parking spaces. While sitting in the wine/chocolate bar, by the window, with a mini-street next to it and cars parallel parked plus people strolling by, you get a small sense that you are some place else, not farm lands in Glendale.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 1:42 AM

The Bella Villagio project has an official website up and running, though there is not much information.

www.bellavillagioaz.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest