HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 2:38 AM

in that pic City watch, thats the Hollywood and Vine project on the left, right? and the new one on the right, right? (i know that was a little confusing, sorry.)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 2:50 AM

^ Yea, which makes the combo of the two projs, side by side, that much better for the Hollywood/Vine area!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 4:10 AM
BANNED

petition for citywatch to relocate to san diego

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 4:12 AM
Ascension

I'm luvin it.

Ba ba ba ba baaaaaaaa

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch

All this stuff you keep digging up, LAMG, is testing my patience to the breaking point!
Sorry... I'll stop!

I can't wait for all these Hollywood and Downtown LA surface parking lots to disappear forever!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 6:19 PM
homemoaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA
There is actually talk of moving the farmers market to a new location.
Really? What locations are they considering?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 6:34 PM
urbanphile

^ You know, I can't for the life of me remember. But I clearly remember reading about it; It wasn't a far move, just closer to highland. And the reason given was because so many new buildings in the area were making it harder for the market to close the streets down.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 6:47 PM

As for the hollywood and vine complex. It's doing great, my friend lives there and it seems like a great place to live when I go over there. When he got a unit, there were only 2 available and people were just moving out of them.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2006, 8:41 PM
homemoaner

^^ I'm not really opposed to a minor move for the Hollywood Farmer's Market. But I think one of the reasons for the building boom in that Cahuenga-to-Vine corridor has something to do with the fact that there's a large, captive audience every Sunday morning between Selma and Ivar.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2006, 6:18 AM
BANNED

mmmm whole foods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 8:14 AM

LA Times, March 3, 2006

Bit of Old Hollywood Imperiled

L.A. agency votes to oust about 30 small firms to make way for a $400-million retail-residential project. Merchants protest.

By Bob Pool, Times Staff Writer

With a loud thud, new Hollywood collided Thursday with old Hollywood at Tinseltown's most famous intersection: Hollywood and Vine. Los Angeles officials cleared the way for a luxury hotel developer to seize buildings housing about 30 small businesses through eminent domain so a $400-million project with a W Hotel, condominium and apartment units, and glitzy shops and restaurants can be built on the southeast corner.

The condemnation proceedings, authorized by the Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency, set the stage for one of the most ambitious revitalization efforts in Hollywood. But the action was loudly protested as heavy-handed and unfriendly by homeowners and merchants who said it was wrong to use public money and power to benefit a private developer.

The debate comes as Hollywood is in the midst of a major revival that has brought dozens of trendy nightclubs, restaurants and massive new shopping complexes such as the Hollywood & Highland Center, where the Academy Awards ceremony will take place Sunday. Just a decade ago, the district was struggling with shuttered movie theaters, rising crime and a subway construction project that crumbled parts of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The development at Hollywood Boulevard and Vine Street would replace several buildings from the district's golden era that are home to a roster of only-in-Hollywood tenants — including billboard figure and sometime actress Angelyne.

As the agency's board of commissioners was voting 5 to 0 to adopt a "resolution of necessity" that will allow eminent domain proceedings to begin, one soon-to-be-ousted property owner erected a huge sign above his Vine Street shop denouncing the action. Luggage store owner Robert Blue said his historic, 78-year-old building was designed by an architect who helped set the tone of Hollywood in its golden age — and who went on to win an Academy Award for his art design work on the classic Errol Flynn-Olivia de Havilland film "The Adventures of Robin Hood." Architect Carl Jules Weyl won the 1938 Oscar for best art direction.

Before his studio career, however, he designed the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant and the next-door Herman Building, which is the site of Blue's six-decade-old, family-owned Bernard Luggage store. Blue's sign — visible Thursday afternoon to passersby on both Hollywood and Vine — resembles a movie poster. "Reverse Robin Hood Pictures presents, 'Murder on Vine Street: Eminent Domain Kills Small Businesses,' " it reads. "This story tells it all: Greed, Corruption and Gridlock." It lists as its "stars" the U.S. Supreme Court, Hollywood-area City Councilman Eric Garcetti, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, "the Community Redevelopment Agency as 'The Godfather' " and "the Little Rascals as 'the developers' ."

Blue, 46, who said he grew up working in his parents' luggage shop, complained that "those with the most political and economic clout" are coming out the winners in the Hollywood redevelopment derby. "It's such a shock what the CRA did," he said after the vote. "After 60 years in business in Hollywood, you get three minutes to speak. For me, there's a lot of family feeling in here."

Blue's shop manager, Ziggy Kruse, told commissioners that this would be the second time she has been forced out of a job by a Hollywood eminent domain proceeding. In 2002 she was working at the Hollywood Star Lanes bowling alley when it was seized by the Los Angeles Unified School District as a campus site. "I never dreamed lightning would strike me twice," Kruse said.

Other businesses that will be displaced include a nail-and-hair salon, a cocktail lounge, insurance office and a state Department of Motor Vehicles facility, along with Angelyne's business office. The landmark Taft Building on the northwest edge of the site will remain.

"We'd support this project if it did not grind the little guy down and did not subsidize a private developer with public funds," said Robert P. Silverstein, a lawyer representing Blue and other business owners.

Longtime Hollywood community leader Chris Shabel said the old Herman Building, in particular, deserved to be saved. "We have very few historic buildings left in Hollywood," she told commissioners. "It would be nice to have one on Vine Street."

Resident Carol Knapp complained that the city was "killing the little guy and offering up his corpse" for development. "It's corporate communism," she said.

David Scholnick, president of the city's Hollywood-Studio District Neighborhood Council, decried the loss of "our mom and pop businesses" while Hollywood Heritage leader Aaron Epstein asserted that merchants had survived riots, recession and Red Line subway construction only to have their property "snatched" by big builders.

But others supported eminent domain, which despite the flurry of new development in Hollywood has been used there only twice before by the redevelopment agency: at the Egyptian Theatre and for a housing project at Hollywood Boulevard and Western Avenue that replaced an earthquake-damaged structure. Alison Becker, planning deputy for Garcetti, called the planned project "a terrific addition to Hollywood" that has been embraced by other city agencies such as the Planning Commission.

"Property owners weren't investing; the community was spiraling down," said Leron Gubler, president of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. He called the redevelopment agency's involvement "crucial and appropriate."

Statistics compiled by the Chamber of Commerce paint a vivid picture of Hollywood's resurgence as new nightclubs, retail centers, residential developments and office rehab projects have been launched. The Cinerama Dome Entertainment Center with its upscale ArcLight Theaters is a $90-million venture. The Hollywood & Highland complex with its Academy Awards' Kodak Theatre was a $615-million development. The Sunset and Vine residential-retail project was valued at $120 million, according to Gubler's group.

The proposed Hollywood and Vine project — which will be partially built on Metropolitan Transportation Authority land above a Red Line subway station — will include 375 apartment units, the 300-room, four-star W Hotel, 150 luxury apartments and 61,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space.

J.J. Abraham, vice president of Legacy Partners, one of the principals in the development, pledged that the project would be a good one. "We're not the big, bad developer coming in to squeeze out the little guy," the Irvine-based builder said.

Redevelopment agency commission Chairman William Jackson asked that the developers work with the soon-to-be-displaced stores to help keep them in business. "We have to make an extra effort not to destroy something as we attempt to create something," Jackson said.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 3:48 PM
Ridin' The Metro

While I obviously prefer the new plan (hotel, housing and retail) to the old (anonymous offices in non-descript buildings), I still feel using eminent domain for strictly private projects is a scary road to go down.

It used to be eminent domain was reserved for either public projects or blight removal. Again, my preferences aside, the current buildings certainly aren't "blighted", i.e., "in a state of ruin".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2006, 4:13 PM
Peace be with us

^The new constitutional ruling by the Supreme Court unfortunately doesn't require that the area or buildings be "blighted" in order to be siezed by private developers for the greater good of the community. This is what happened in New London, CT that led to the landmark ruling. New London is not exactly hurting economically, although they will be when General Dynamics Electric Boat closes one day, but they will probably just turn NL into another ritzy seaside CT town.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 2:54 AM
urbanphile

Libertarian?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 7:08 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Hollywood has plenty of historic buildings. I would much rather see this project go forward. Too bad the development couldn't have encorporated the Herman Building but the building wasn't kept up; where is the owners civic pride? All and all it will be better for the community and more aesthetically appealing. Thank goodness the 1540 project appears to be on an empty lot.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 8:39 PM

Hopefully the luggage store can be either given a retail space in the new development -- at a reduced rent -- or relocated somewhere nearby. I'm sure it would do well with a W Hotel right next door...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2006, 8:46 PM

Normally I'm all for adaptive reuse and buidling conservation, but enough's enough. There are tons of 80 year old buildings in Hollywood that have little historical or aesthetic value. The need for investment like the W project is critical for the longterm survival of the district, so I have no problem with a smattering of small business owners being ejected. Especially if they're compensated for their effort.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2006, 6:38 PM
Environmental Sabotage

The CIM group has leased out the space in the Hollywood Galaxy. A Longs Drug (already doing remodel construction) will sit in front of the Knitting Factory, LA Fitness is going in where all the theatres were in the back (already under construction too) and a rather large DSW shoe warehouse is also going in facing Hollywood Blvd. The building will be 100% occupied for the first time since it opened. LA fitness reps stated they will be updating the exterior of the building to something more contemporary.

Last edited by dktshb; Mar 5, 2006 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2006, 8:18 PM

I looked at the virtual earth aerials of that Hollywood/Vine site..
FOUR low-rise boring buildings. How the hell are there 30 small businesses!!

Also, man it's really depressing that that used to be the most famous intersection of Hollywood because today it actually looks like it was fire-bombed. That area is about as Parking-lot dead-zone as you can get in LA unless you go to a Box-store mall in, well, actually I think you'd have to go to Anaheim.

I can just see all those W-er's stepping out of their fine hotel to grab a bite to eat only to find themselves in parking-lot section "Dopey."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2006, 10:35 PM
übersupermegascraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220
I can just see all those W-er's stepping out of their fine hotel to grab a bite to eat only to find themselves in parking-lot section "Dopey."
umm, have you been to hollywood in the last two years? there's a lot of upscale and interesting places to eat now, within walking distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West