HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:33 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Could Bloor west of Yorkville be construed as a St-Denis analogue? Totally different vernacular, but some similar vibes in sections. Or maybe the Danforth?

I don't think there's an exact analogue to Mile End, but the closest would probably be Trinity-Bellwoods and Parkdale.

The Junction is kinda like St-Henri.
I think I'd agree with you. When I was in Toronto the last time, the place that felt the most like the Mile-End was West Queen West.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:33 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Could Bloor west of Yorkville be construed as a St-Denis analogue?
That's the Annex. It's next to U of T, so there are lots of students and academics around there. Not really like St. Denis.

Quote:
I don't think there's an exact analogue to Mile End, but the closest would probably be Trinity-Bellwoods and Parkdale.
I think that probably works.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:48 PM

Like the Annex, Outremont is home to a lot of academics and "opinion leaders."

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Didn't Montreal sign an order for a whole bunch of LRT (basically streetcars) recently?
LRT in Montréal is SkyTrain, and that is for the REM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:04 PM

Yonge is Ste-Catherine. Eaton Centre is a smaller Eaton Centre, but with the biggest food court in North-America.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:08 PM
More transit please

North York/West Island
Etobicoke/East Island

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:11 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That's the Annex. It's next to U of T, so there are lots of students and academics around there. Not really like St. Denis.
I am not sure I'd call these areas equivalent either but UQAM is right on St-Denis. The name Quartier Latin is a reference to post-secondary institutions in that area.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:12 PM
Montérégien

I have the intuition that Toronto shares more similarities with Vancouver than Montreal...

That being said, another analogy I have in mind from my last visit is that Gerrard St. East (between Greenwood and Coxwell) surely looks like Jean-Talon St. between Acadie boul. and Parc ave. in Montreal.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The Annex is much like Quartier des jardins i.e. Concordia University neighbourhood.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:14 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I am not sure I'd call these areas equivalent either but UQAM is right on St-Denis. The name Quartier Latin is a reference to post-secondary institutions in that area.
Oh, right, I forgot. By "St. Denis" I was thinking of the long stretch north of Sherbrooke, not the nightlife-heavy section south of Sherbrooke.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
I have the intuition that Toronto shares more similarities with Vancouver than Montreal...

That being said, another analogy I have in mind from my last visit is that Gerrard St. East (between Greenwood and Coxwell) surely looks like Jean-Talon St. between Acadie boul. and Parc ave. in Montreal.
Nope, Vancouver is more like Longueuil/Brossard. I never felt the Toronto vibe in Vancouver, while DT Toronto is a replica of DT Montréal, but N-S instead of E-W.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:23 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
Nope, Vancouver is more like Longueuil/Brossard.
It's the first time ever I read such an analogy. As far as I know, it doesn't do justice to Vancouver at all. I know the South Shore very well (I grew up there), and I never felt anything vancouverish about it. Maybe some chinese commercial strip of Brossard could be similar to what you'd find in some areas of Richmond, but that's about it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
It's the first time ever I read such an analogy. As far as I know, it doesn't do justice to Vancouver at all. I know the South Shore very well (I grew up there), and I never felt anything vancouverish about it. Maybe some chinese commercial strip of Brossard could be similar to what you'd find in some areas of Richmond, but that's about it.
Vancouver IMO is a big suburb, there is nothing much city about it. The core is much like old Longueuil with the DT core.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:47 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Nope, Vancouver is more like Longueuil/Brossard. I never felt the Toronto vibe in Vancouver, while DT Toronto is a replica of DT Montréal, but N-S instead of E-W.
Have you been to Vancouver? Or Longueil? Or Brossard? This is the most absurd thing I have read on here in quite some time.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:50 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Vancouver IMO is a big suburb, there is nothing much city about it. The core is much like old Longueuil with the DT core.
Yeah this:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.28444...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Totally looks the same as this:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.52682...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I would even say that Longueuil looks better, but it's a subjective thing. I've been to Vancouver many times and can't take it seriously as a city, it's just a sprawling suburb, besides its small tight core.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:04 AM

*grabs popcorn*

Also, shifting back, I agree with the above correction of my statement - Outremont and the Annex are more tied. Avenue Mont-Royal has some Queen-west-of-Bathurst vibes (I don't think all of that is "West Queen West").

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:16 AM
Fake News

Quote:
I would even say that Longueuil looks better, but it's a subjective thing. I've been to Vancouver many times and can't take it seriously as a city, it's just a sprawling suburb, besides its small tight core.
So you find Vancouver too suburban but prefer Downtown Longueuil? What?!?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:23 AM
Fake News

Quote:
*grabs popcorn*
Is he fucking with us? For the life of me I can't take what he's saying seriously. Call Vancouver a bland sea of green glass. Call it unaffordable to live in. Call Canucks fans losers. But how in the fuck can you call it the same as Longueuil and Brossard?!? I can't even think of a worse comparison except maybe saying Airdrie and Ottawa are exactly the same city.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Is he fucking with us? For the life of me I can't take what he's saying seriously. Call Vancouver a bland sea of green glass. Call it unaffordable to live in. Call Canucks fans losers. But how in the fuck can you call it the same as Longueuil and Brossard?!? I can't even think of a worse comparison except maybe saying Airdrie and Ottawa are exactly the same city.
I dunno, man. I thought it was a pretty ridiculous comparison. I'm not a huge fan of Vancouver, personally, but I know it's more than a "big suburb" or whatever. In fact, considering how constrained things are there, and the emphasis on compact forms, Vancouver does quite well at being anti-suburban, despite being relatively young. It's less suburban-feeling than Seattle (which still feels big city) and Portland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada