HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 8:11 PM

Webcam shows cladding on the theatres:

http://www.earthcam.com/clients/plaza88/?cam=2

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 12:02 AM

Webcam pic from today:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 7:09 AM
ARTchitecture

Great pic!

I got a great pic of the complex from the Quay the other day.

Taken from my phone

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 2:08 PM
BANNED

This thing is hideous. Looks nothing like the original renderings. Way to go City of New West.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 5:27 PM

The former parking lots looked better. New Westminster (and Burnaby) continues to show their appreciation for good architecture and urban design.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 7:11 PM
scared of rain

I have always thought that the south elevation was a terrible design. This is so much worse than I thought it would be. After all of the investment in Columbia Street, why kill it with an enclosed shopping mall with a HUGE blank wall? I can't understand this one.

"Come to New Westminster, never leave the Skytrain Station"

Stupid. Soooo Stupid.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 11:37 PM

that area never worked good to push people to use the street the block to the north columbia bends there and there is too much traffic and will never be anything on the other side - good use of a dead zone if you ask me

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 6:58 AM

The design of Plaza 88 isn't the problem, it's the heavy truck traffic and awkward intersection that kills any chance of that part of Columbia becoming pedestrian-friendly. If this building was a few blocks east, I would agree that it's a problem, but at that spot it isn't ruining anything that Front Street hasn't already destroyed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 8:17 AM
ARTchitecture

Exactly, I of course think it is a hideous design... but it is a good use of the skytrain station and the city needs more stuff downtown, like the theater, a grocery store, and a bit more retail... so overall, I like this development, especially the towers which add a significant amount of density to downtown I love new west, I'd love to see more office, hotel and residential space get constructed on Columbia so that it could be a bit more lively. Some nights walking from Richmond St. all the way to Columbia station, I only pass 3 - 10 people :S

It's really a severely underrated city and has a lot of potential, and yes this design was a flop, but as was noted above, the area it is in is a flop regardless of the design. Hopefully the new accessibility to the Quay overpass will encourage more people to go to the Quay

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
ARTchitecture

Safeway is aiming to open early in December, with other tenants soon to follow, including Landmark Cinemas, Shoppers Drug Mart, CIBC, RBC, Wireless World Solutions (Fido), Western News, Subway, A&W, Arden Holdings, Extreme Pita, Flight Centre and Yogabody Lifestyle Shop.

Read more: http://www.royalcityrecord.com/Trans...#ixzz1cvK7MuBR

There will be a total of 75 retailers sharing the 200 000 square foot space. The theatre is now projecting an April 2012 opening.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Safeway is aiming to open early in December, with other tenants soon to follow, including Landmark Cinemas, Shoppers Drug Mart, CIBC, RBC, Wireless World Solutions (Fido), Western News, Subway, A&W, Arden Holdings, Extreme Pita, Flight Centre and Yogabody Lifestyle Shop.

Read more: http://www.royalcityrecord.com/Trans...#ixzz1cvK7MuBR

There will be a total of 75 retailers sharing the 200 000 square foot space. The theatre is now projecting an April 2012 opening.
"Inside the 4,000 square foot space to be occupied by Safeway, signs have already been erected for the various departments and some display units have been delivered. Workers busily move around the space doing their work."

Read more: http://www.royalcityrecord.com/Trans...#ixzz1cwQxKIxM

Wow.. that's a small Safeway!

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 8:23 PM
ARTchitecture

They probably had to make it smaller than normal because there's already a grocery store half a block away? I dunno. Perhaps it was just a typo and it's 40 000... cause it doesn't look that small from the outside, that's for sure!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 8:41 AM

The Safeway in new Westminster station will be 39,403 sq ft.

Www.sitings.ca

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 9:30 PM

Thanks!

Links to floorplans here:

http://www.sitings.ca/currentproject.cfm?projectid=36

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 10:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Awesome link! Thanks office dweller!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 10:02 AM

I saw signs at the station today that say the Safeway opens December 9th.

P.S. I'm definitely making my transfer here from now on whenever I go between Millennium and Expo lines.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:09 PM
BANNED

This "thing" is an eyesore. Keeps getting uglier by the day.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 7:59 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
I saw signs at the station today that say the Safeway opens December 9th.

P.S. I'm definitely making my transfer here from now on whenever I go between Millennium and Expo lines.
Yeah for sure! I wish they would spruce up Columbia station too. It's in a very cool location, they could do so much with that building.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:24 PM

Funny thing is that Columbia Station and the building around it won awards when it was opened for being transit oriented development - the goalposts have moved a lot since then.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:05 PM

they changed Columbia a lot since it opened - they removed the escalators and a some of the businesses space got closed in, the thing just never seemed to do what it was designed to be

plus losing all the people who transferred from the trains to the coquitlam busses lost of pedestrian action through the station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley