HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Gondolas and aerial tramways in cities

I found a thing in the Toronto Star about this. Could it work? It could be a bit like the rooftop-to-rooftop helicopter system in Sao Paulo, except cheaper & maybe(?) safer

Quote:
Gondolas, he says, can cross water or 400-series highways without the expense of bridges. They can run less frequently over low-density areas and more often in highly populated districts. They can be beautiful, don't take up much more space than a telephone pole or light standard, require limited land and don't conflict with traffic.
Quote:
"I would love to see a top-supported system (gondolas) run along the Don Valley or Humber Valley," said Dale.

"There's a system in Asia where one of the stations is located in a skyscraper. The technology is incredibly flexible."
That guy Steve Dale also has a blog called the Gondola Project, which has more details.

Last edited by amor de cosmos; Dec 31, 2009 at 5:36 AM. Reason: included aerial tramways in title

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:36 PM

Woah that looks pretty awesome! The only urban gondola I know of is Pittsburgh (although is that really gondola...I don't know) and Sao Paolo.

Edmonton had a plan for something like Pittsburgh's to bring people from the bottom of the river valley to the top (downtown), I think funding was approved, but we haven't heard anything since.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:39 PM

How does the cost per mile compare with streetcar or light rail systems?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Woah that looks pretty awesome! The only urban gondola I know of is Pittsburgh (although is that really gondola...I don't know) and Sao Paolo.

Edmonton had a plan for something like Pittsburgh's to bring people from the bottom of the river valley to the top (downtown), I think funding was approved, but we haven't heard anything since.
Portland Oregon has their aerial tram - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Aerial_Tram

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 8:47 PM

^Oh right...I knew that one too...and I even saw that one in person...can't believe I forgot it.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 9:00 PM

Remember, Aerial Trams and Gondolas are not the same thing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 9:08 PM

I've always thought something like this would work well in Miami for Mainland to South Beach transit.

With individual cars, I'd imagine that maintenance is a pain. Plus, no matter how pretty you make it, somebody's going to complain about views being blocked and it being an eyesore.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 9:45 PM
Administrator

^Same thing here for Clearwater Beach... I wonder if such a system would work some place like the USF main campus?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 10:02 PM

Anyone who's been skiing should be familiar with the technology.

A couple of things -

These work best for point to point transport - like ski lifts, from base to summit.

Turning can be done, but not easily - both are best run in a straight line (again, as you'd find for most ski lifts).

Gondolas have more capacity with many more smaller capacity cars, while trams can scale much more impressive terrain with a far greater distance between towers - but gondolas do not function like that yellow-skied image in the OP - they only have one cable and would most certainly have more towers in a distance that large.

Reading the article, it would seem like the guy has never been skiing. Honestly, spend a couple days skiing and you'd learn first hand about how cable chairlifts operate, what their limitations are, etc.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 10:14 PM

Baltimore was talking about putting one of these up IIRC.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 10:27 PM
BANNED

To not solve the slams problems in Rio de Janeiro, they made this solution for the so called inhabitants there, see:

http://g1.globo.com/Noticias/Mundo/f...058-FMM,00.jpg

Medellin Colombia has similar solutions of transportation...

http://josegenao.files.wordpress.com...e-medellin.jpg

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 12:36 AM

Lightbulb

I can see these working best in rough terrain with steep grades.
I just don't think they're efficient in fairly level areas...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 2:10 AM

I doubt we'll make a separate thread for aerial trams anytime soon so here's a picture of a new aerial tram. There has been some talk of additional "lines" here in Portland though right now they're just a pipe dream.

Source: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3645/...f7dd28f37c.jpg

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 5:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockski View Post
Remember, Aerial Trams and Gondolas are not the same thing.
i didn't know there was a difference. i fixed the op but i don't think it will show up in the title in the transportation forum

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amor de cosmos View Post
i didn't know there was a difference. i fixed the op but i don't think it will show up in the title in the transportation forum
Well, it's not like they're hugely different, but they are different. For gondolas, the cable itself is moving, and the cabs grip the cable to move. For Trams, the cars move along fixed cables as if they were rails, pulled by a third cable.

That's why trams are usually much bigger (as you have different cables for movement and support). Trams can also scale more impressive terrain and maintain much longer distances between towers, which is why they're chosen for some applications over gondolas. The Portland tram, for example, has only one tower to cover a horizontal distance of 3,000+ feet. This also allows for scaling some impressive heights as well.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 4:29 PM
Administrator

How fast do these things go? How many people per hour can they carry? I'm having trouble finding the 'specs' for such systems.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 4:32 PM

PRT is more likely to appear in cities. For cable cars maybe a closed circuit in the downtown area to connect all the locations of significance.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 4:46 PM
BANNED

@Jason, you have a good example here http://www.seilbahn.net/snn/bericht1...1767&zurueck=0

Pao de acucar recently received a new cab for its Aereal Tram.

I am afraid of Gondolas, i really do not believe much on them, because holding the cable, even hydraulic, is not ever secure. Aereal Tram is better. Once the Mount Blanc one at 4000 m high hit the platform entrance by strong wind when we were inside. People cried and shout. The Gondola in Madeira Island made me most scarried all time, that i came back down with taxi. But it was worse times...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 4:48 PM
Show me the blueprints

Thanks for removing my post. I now see the error of my ways and how inappropriate it was to post a picture of a sandwich. GMAFB

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 5:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
PRT is more likely to appear in cities. For cable cars maybe a closed circuit in the downtown area to connect all the locations of significance.
Here locally, there are some spots where it would seem to be useful. Especially over in Clearwater, where they desperately need an attractive pedestrian/transit connection between downtown and the beach. Anything that can get across the water with as few piers as possible, and can do so cheaply instantly becomes something worth a look.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation