HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 6:40 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Red face TORONTO | Crosstown Community | 60 ACRES | 135 M / 443 FT | 44 FL

The Celestica Redevelopment at Eglinton and Don Mills is starting up very soon, which is a 60 acre redevelopment of a formerly industrial/commercial space which used to be the headquarters of IBM, and now is for Celestica. Office, residential, and retail uses are proposed, with a new building proposed for Celestica's offices.
(Website); https://wynfordgreenvip.ca/

I went to the site today, and the southern wing is being demolished inside,
TJ235223 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
The art-deco entrance which would be saved in the proposed development,
TJ235229 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr
TJ235232 by Josh Kenn Photographics, on Flickr

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jan 21, 2022 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 3:29 AM
The New Republic

It will be sad to see it go. I've always liked driving by it. Will any of it be preserved?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:18 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It will be sad to see it go. I've always liked driving by it. Will any of it be preserved?
The back end of the site, and the two front entrances of the building will be saved.

I will be sad to see it go as well.....but it's good that the parking lot in front will be filled in. This'll be an incredible development in just how impactful it is.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:28 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Taken A Week ago

Demolition has been ongoing for a good few weeks now....I finally managed to get a photo of this a week ago....finally found it haha.
Evening Demolition of a Landmark. by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Evening Demolition of a Landmark. by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 10:48 PM
The New Republic

The destruction of Toronto's architectural layering continues. And it's ass backwards that we bulldoze when they're the very last of their kind surviving yet jump through hoops to save a 3 floor Victorian when we literally have thousands of them left. You'd think it would be the other way around: when we get down to only 10 left of something in the entire city we'd save every single one of them.

Toronto doesn't get to complain about architectural layering when it routinely destroys the stuff it does have.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 6:28 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I agree. It's just ridiculous we allow this shameless destruction of our heritage, our past to continue. I understand intensifying this area a bit, but this is just wholesale destruction of most of the site for a quick buck.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:58 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this today whilst riding a bus...I've been much to busy to get to this area in the last few months by foot.
Both office towers are now under construction:
Construction Along Eglinton by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
I agree. It's just ridiculous we allow this shameless destruction of our heritage, our past to continue. I understand intensifying this area a bit, but this is just wholesale destruction of most of the site for a quick buck.
Agreed. It's barbaric.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 12:21 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Forgive my ignorance on this, but what was so special about the previous buildings there? Architecturally they look just, well, average.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 12:27 AM

^ I'm with him. Not from Toronto so I don't know the heritage, not being sarcastic or anything but genuinely I'm confused.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 5:59 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Yesterday

I took this yesterday, on the way to run some errands. They're building out the two office buildings on the corner first
Office Construction at Don Mills and Eglinton by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
Office Construction at Don Mills and Eglinton by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 7:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Forgive my ignorance on this, but what was so special about the previous buildings there? Architecturally they look just, well, average.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
^ I'm with him. Not from Toronto so I don't know the heritage, not being sarcastic or anything but genuinely I'm confused.
I think it's more that Toronto doesn't have a lot of art deco rather than about those buildings specifically. That area in particular could benefit from additional architectural diversity and visual interest so it's frustrating to see what little that does exist disappear.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 9:50 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I think it's more that Toronto doesn't have a lot of art deco rather than about those buildings specifically. That area in particular could benefit from additional architectural diversity and visual interest so it's frustrating to see what little that does exist disappear.
That makes sense and appreciate the context. That being said, this building was built in 1951, so would have been way past the Art Deco era. Looks to be more of a mid-century modern building with a vertical element at the center. And based on the site plan, it appears they are incorporating a lot of the early 60's addition to the IBM campus that has the vertical brick elements in it, so retaining at least some of the history of the site, architecturally speaking.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 4:50 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
That makes sense and appreciate the context. That being said, this building was built in 1951, so would have been way past the Art Deco era. Looks to be more of a mid-century modern building with a vertical element at the center. And based on the site plan, it appears they are incorporating a lot of the early 60's addition to the IBM campus that has the vertical brick elements in it, so retaining at least some of the history of the site, architecturally speaking.
Apologies, I forgot to get back to this. What Nouvellecosse sums up pretty well my displeasure about this building plan. I think the existing buildings (not the whole thing obviously, but sections of it) could've been retained as facades and built with additions over it, perhaps emulating a street environent where the previous facade was, with a new building flanking it on the other side, with shops and landscaping creating a more welomign environment. This current plan, while nice in that they kept soe heritage features.....it still very lacklustre. The general layout and densities are underwhelming and could be done with more vision I find. And I'm not talking about more skyscrapers on the site....I mean put in more midrises over the big block of townhomes planned.

This area has seen a lot of architecturally significant buildings already demolished recently, so I think keeping in mind the area's history and importance to the city, especially in the last 60 years, is needed when looking at sites like this. If you google streetview, or visit say, the area east of Don Mills on Wynford Drive, you'll see several buildings which are unique to the area and designed with more vision than the usual run of the mill office park.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 5:33 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Taken a few hours ago....the new Don Mills and Eglinton station box is in front:
Construction in Central East by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
This is a more general view, from the south....the view here, while already beautiful, wil be blocked up by this development. The two cranes in the centre are for this first phase.
Construction in Central East by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 1, 2022, 11:57 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Yes, that does put it into more context and appreciate the history, as I am obviously not as familiar, and just looking at things from the point of view of what I can Google (outside looking in). That being said, I agree with you that the overall plan could be better.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 12:16 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Keep in mind that Art Deco isn't an architectural era like Victorian, but rather a specific style that happened to be very popular in a particular era. When it comes to specific styles, being built outside the era of their main popularity doesn't classify them as a different style. Unless you see a wider re-emergence of that style in which case it's referred to as a revivalist version of it. But there's definitely similarities between simple versions of deco and some Modernist/International-style buildings.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 4:35 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I find it strange that my last update of this project was when I was still sick from having covid-19...what a terrible two weeks. Anyways, this will be a lot of images, but the first phase, which is a nine floor office building, is quite the pretty thing:
Here's that general view again:
March 20th by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr
This is the first phase of that masterplan, right at the corner of Eglinton and Don Mills. I think the other office building was axed which, if it's true, is very unfortunate:
Other phases down the street
From the south

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 12:45 AM
Midtowner since 2K

I took this yesterday. The office building is visible on the right:
Alone I Stood, Tuesday by Draulerin Photographics, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction