HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:28 PM
New Yorker for life

That's not a big cut in height. I wonder how hard and who's arm got twisted, or whose palm got greased.

Quote:
Council member Stephen Levin, who represents the district in which the development will rise, finally gave his approval to the enormous mixed-use complex during the subcommittee meeting.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Well at least its on its way. I'll take it, still fantastic news.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, I can't imagine any of the NIMBYs being happy with it. All things considered, a victory for us, and the city.

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/storie...-09-28-bk.html

Councilmembers unanimously approve shrunken 80 Flatbush project

BY JULIANNE CUBA
September 20, 2018

Quote:
Councilmembers on Thursday unanimously voted to approve the rezoning application a developer filed in order to erect its controversial five-building 80 Flatbush complex at the edge of Boerum Hill, hours after the builder reduced the size of its massive project in order to win the local pol’s key vote.
Quote:
The taller tower containing the affordable housing will shrink from 986 to 840 feet — but will still rise above the borough’s current tallest building, Schermerhorn Street’s 610-foot Hub, and the 680-foot Brooklyn Point tower in the works Downtown, while falling more than a hundred feet below the planned 1,066-foot structure that will rise from inside DeKalb Avenue’s landmarked Dime Savings Bank nearby. And the smaller high-rise will fall from 561 to 510 feet — topping out just below its landmarked neighbor, the Williamsburgh Savings Bank tower.
Quote:
The complex’s number of below-market-rate units will not change, but in order to scale down the development, the builders agreed to nix 30 market-rate units, reducing the total number of apartments from 900 to 870, according to a rep for the developer. Some of 80 Flatbush’s commerical space will also be reduced, according to Alloy spokesman James Yolles, who said the exact amount has yet to be determined.

Construction of the shorter high-rise, and the schools, is expected to wrap in 2022, with the taller tower scheduled for completion in 2025.
Quote:
Alloy bigwigs also redesigned the shape of the bigger building by placing its denser floors at the bottom and slimming floors out as they rise, in an attempt to reduce the shadows it will cast over the neighborhood and the nearby Brooklyn Bears’ Rockwell Garden, whose green thumbs feared the sky-scraper would block too much sunlight from their growing patch, according to Levin.

“A lot of density at the top of the tower shifted, so that will have an significant impact on light and air issues, and overall density issues,” he said.

I'm sure a finer, revised design will present itself at some point.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:45 AM
New Yorker for life

This will also be close to 590 Atlantic Avenue, a tower of around 800 ft.

That one will rise here, just a couple of blocks removed...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:09 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I like the massing of the design significantly more than this version; and the architecture looks like it'd work much better in another city. But this isn't horrible, or anything.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:18 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Only problem I have with this newer version is that the taller tower looks like a VE'd copycat of 15HY.

And the geometry of the original of same looked awkward...Not a good contrast to 9D.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:40 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

EDIT: I just noticed the base... The curve is well thought out; plus the top bears what looks like a legitimate crown.

This latest spate of approved 500'+ towers here are definitely architecturally suprior to the first, say, three skyline-breakers here.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 2:38 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The base with the cantilever is a mess. Just seems to noisy down there. The mid-to-upper section is okay, but the base area is chaotic.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 1:35 PM

570 Fulton is gonna kill a lot of those views across the street.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 7:11 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.6sqft.com/city-council-a...town-brooklyn/

City Council approves 80 Flatbush development in Downtown Brooklyn

SEPTEMBER 27, 2018
BY DEVIN GANNON

Quote:
The Council voted 48-2 in favor of the development. As part of the agreement reached, the number of apartments at 80 Flatbush was reduced to 870 from 900 units. But 200 of the apartments will remain permanently affordable, as the original plan included. The floor area ratio (FAR) of the complex was dropped from 18 to 15.75.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
https://www.6sqft.com/city-council-a...town-brooklyn/

City Council approves 80 Flatbush development in Downtown Brooklyn

SEPTEMBER 27, 2018
BY DEVIN GANNON

OK, took the NIMBYs long enough...

https://brooklyneagle.com/articles/2...bush-upzoning/

Boerum Hill residents stage court battle against 80 Flatbush upzoning

July 11, 2019
Lore Croghan

Quote:
The City Council’s decision to upzone a slice of Boerum Hill for skyscraper development is long past, but a group of neighborhood residents continues to fight the verdict.

The 400 & 500 State Street Block Association and several members of its steering committee are seeking the annulment of the 2018 rezoning of 80 Flatbush Ave. The zoning changes made room on the property for an 840-foot skyscraper, a 510-foot tower, 670 market-rate apartments and 200 affordable ones, two public schools and office and retail space.

The petitioners who filed the lawsuit live in four-story brownstones on the border of the 80 Flatbush site, whose boundaries are State Street, Third Avenue, Schermerhorn Street and Flatbush Avenue.

They’re suing the City Council, the City Planning Commission, the New York City Educational Construction Fund and Alloy Development. (These entities are referred to as the respondents.)
Quote:
“State Street will be turned into a back alley and an afterthought — the back end of a development so big, it belongs in downtown Manhattan, not a residential neighborhood,” their website says.

A spokesperson from Alloy Development told the Brooklyn Eagle that the company “believe[s] the record will show that the process was lawfully observed and that the decisions reached were well-grounded in the law.”

“It’s a shame that a small handful of wealthy homeowners are making a last-ditch effort to derail a project that will deliver so many public benefits,” the spokesperson said.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 5:49 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

What I love about this development is that it's one of the few new towers in Brooklyn without a blank wall on one side.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 10:32 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Build it!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 11:11 AM
BANNED

I prefer this design over the older, taller one.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 11:59 AM

The NIMBYs can go to H.E. double hockey sticks... and I agree the newer design is better...I love the crown and it will play well with 9 DeKalb in the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 12:09 PM

Holy F I love this!!!! I wish we could start getting towers of this caliber in LIC.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 5:12 PM

I never understand why people who live in a downtown Brooklyn adjacent neighborhoods have an unreal expectations that tall buildings aren't going to happen. Considering that this buildings fronts Flatbush Avenue and is within several hundred feet of one of the largest transit hubs in the country, it's totally ridiculous. Its a shame that it got a height cut, but I prefer the design of the new main tower more IMO.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 5:18 PM

I thought I read somewhere that this 400 & 500 association is a grand total of five people.

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/7/11/2069...atbush-lawsuit

Quote:
The Brooklyn Daily Eagle reports that five residents of State Street, who’ve banded together as the 400 & 500 State Street Block Association, have filed a petition in New York state Supreme Court to annul the upzoning, calling it “unlawful and constitutionally impermissible” in the petition.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:32 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: bkhights

The beginning stages of demo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals