HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 5:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...-yards-hustle/

The Hudson Yards hustle
With Related furiously locking in tenants, a look at who’s signed and how much space in the megaproject is left

November 01, 2015
By Rich Bockmann

Quote:
PHASE 2: WESTERN YARD

With a total of 6.2 million square feet of mixed-use development scheduled for completion in 2024, the second phase of Hudson Yards will be roughly half the size of the first. Sitting between 11th and 12th avenues with views of the Hudson River, it will include seven residential buildings, compared to two in Phase 1.

It will also include a 750-seat public school. And, Related is planning a 2-million-square-foot office building. Other than that, details are thin. “Except for getting the zoning, we haven’t really given it much thought,” Cross said. “The Western Yard will be driven by market demand.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 10:48 PM

two million sq ft? i'm gonna cry

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 10:50 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertallchaser View Post
two million sq ft? i'm gonna cry
I don't think the supertalls will stop at phase 1. Driven by market demand is great. Demand for office is high, and even more is expected in the years to come.

If anything, there is not enough. Even with all of the construction in the residential and office sectors, there's not enough according to most analysts. More Class-A space is needed.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 6:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I don't think the supertalls will stop at phase 1. Driven by market demand is great. Demand for office is high, and even more is expected in the years to come.

If anything, there is not enough. Even with all of the construction in the residential and office sectors, there's not enough according to most analysts. More Class-A space is needed.
No, there is not enough, even with the midtown east rezoning that is expected to add more development. That's why I'm not a big fan of changing some of the targeted commercial sites to residential, which can be built anywhere, and yes that includes 5 WTC.

As far as the 2nd phase goes, that is where Related expects to make money, on the residential portion of the railyard development. They will likely kick off the 50 Hudson Yards tower first (it's now scheduled for 2017 construction) as both 10 and 30 Hudson are practically full now. But that's also good news for Manhattan West, 3 Hudson, and Tishman's tower.

In a sense, the second phase is more or less Battery Park City.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Either Related's buildings are rendered too tall or the Empire State is shown too short but something looks off in that rendering. Tower Verre looks taller than the ESB.
is the location for 15 Penn if I am not mistake. Verre would be to the left of ESB

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 3:17 AM
New Yorker for life

url]http://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/the-story[/url]

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 7:44 PM

That rendering is bananas. Can't wait to see the area when it's finished.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 8:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Vertical_Gotham

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 12:18 AM
Urban Explorer

It's hard to tell from that rendering whether the southern-most buildings are within the Hudson Yards block or not. If not, it's worth noting that the entire two blocks south of 30th Street are also vacant and will likely be tall as well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 3:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
It's hard to tell from that rendering whether the southern-most buildings are within the Hudson Yards block or not. If not, it's worth noting that the entire two blocks south of 30th Street
are also vacant and will likely be tall as well.
Those are the two that will sit above the school. The two with the curvy features are in the center (in the original zoning there were supposed to be no towers there, which is why
most of the competing site plands left that space open).

This is Related's original proposed site plan...

Most people loved Brookfield's plan...

Tishman had the original winning bid...

Extell's bid....

Durst/Vornado...

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 30, 2016 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 3:48 PM

Boy am I glad we got the design that is going up now.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 4:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGGLEWORTH View Post
Boy am I glad we got the design that is going up now.

What, you didn't like Extell's three-headed monster? Lol

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 6:18 AM
New Yorker for life

http://nypost.com/2016/06/06/douglas...-park-ave-lot/

By Steve Cuozzo
June 6, 2016

Quote:
Related expects to start building a deck over the western rail yard between 11th Avenue and the West Side Highway next year. Although architects have yet to be chosen, the western component is to include 6.22 million more square feet of office, residential, retail and school space.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 12:30 PM

Wow. Those pics bring me back. When were these proposals released? It must have been eight -nine years ago, right?

I remember thinking the Brookfield proposal was very nice but the Extell proposal was drop dead gorgeous and brilliant. Good to see that the younger me was right on the money. Geeesh, it's just so beautiful and cool. Now we know Extell would have neutered the design completely but at least we have those pictures.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 3:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Wow. Those pics bring me back. When were these proposals released? It must have been eight -nine years ago, right?

I remember thinking the Brookfield proposal was very nice but the Extell proposal was drop dead gorgeous and brilliant. Good to see that the younger me was right on the money. Geeesh, it's just so beautiful and cool. Now we know Extell would have neutered the design completely but at least we have those pictures.
I don't remember exactly how long it's been (so much has gone on since), but it was before the financial markets caved and everything everywhere was put on hold. But I do remember Brookfield's being a favorite.

Now we'll just sit back and wait for this next phase to see who Related selects to design these towers.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:23 PM

Looking back on it now I actually prefer the Vornado/Durst proposal. It has the one thing that Hudson Yards is sorely missing: a signature tower.

I'm sure that the centerpiece that Related has planned with Thomas Heatherwick will provide this element on the street level, but I'm still hoping for something to clearly break through the plateau on the skyline and give a focal point to the cluster. The Spiral had the development rights to do it, but it looks like Tishman is going with a more conservative approach. I'm not aware of any other assemblage that can make it work, but here's to hoping.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Minimis NY View Post
Looking back on it now I actually prefer the Vornado/Durst proposal. It has the one thing that Hudson Yards is sorely missing: a signature tower.
Given the fact that we now know what's rising around it, and the fact that 30 Hudson is taller, I don't know that it would have stood out any better. Ultimately, like the Related bid, it would have been revamped as well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 7:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Gehry and Stern confirmed....(western yards begins at about 36 minutes in)...

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Vanity addresses (addresses that overlay existing addresses) are often used in New York. Here's an interesting look at Related's plan for vanity addresses for its Hudson Yards development, which will include many towers...

The layout of the entire plan, with building entrances:

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:46 PM
New Yorker for life

This Hudson Yards explosion will eventually consume the remaining open yards...

Steven J. Messina

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 27, 2017 at 6:56 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals