HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 2:09 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The Williamsburgh Savings Bank argument was used to fight the Ms Brooklyn tower part of the colloquially named Atlantic Yards.

The NIMBYS fought Atlantic Yards (known as Pacific Park) for years, and lost. In fact, they did not want anything to eclipse the Savings Bank, and look at the current state of affairs now. We have 9 Dekalb, Citypoint Phase III, and the rest of the 500+ foot residential(s) that have risen.

I don't think the height argument will work in this case. Given the extensive timeline for this project, it will take some time to become reality, but I think it will rise ultimately at its current dimensions.

Brooklyn has experienced Manhattanization on a massive level. The city must grow. LIC is a notable example. From a district of warehouses lies dozens of skyscrapers u/c and recently finished, with plenty in the pipeline.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 7:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Hearing for Controversial Boerum Hill Tower Postponed, Public Review Expected to Start Soon

Quote:
When we last checked in on 80 Flatbush Avenue, the controversial development plan at the nexus of Boerum Hill, Fort Greene and Downtown Brooklyn, local residents were concerned that the 74-story tower — the highest of a pair — is too tall for the surrounding neighborhood.

This was before Alloy, the developer and architect of the project, had even started the official public review process, or ULURP, which was expected to begin in January 2018.

But a scheduled public hearing on the matter for February 13 has been postponed, we’ve been told, due to the environmental review not being completed on time.

Without the environmental review, the first steps of the ULURP process can’t begin. It’s now expected that the City Planning Commission will certify the application at their review session on February 12.

CB2 is anticipating a new public hearing will be scheduled in early to mid March, although a date and location have not been confirmed.

The development, which will occupy a whole block, calls for two towers, 900 apartments — including 200 affordable units — and two schools. Two historic buildings will be retained, although not the fairly ordinary two buildings covered in artist Katie Merz’s recently completed murals.
======================
https://www.brownstoner.com/developm...ing-postponed/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 12:15 PM

Ugh, it’s going to be an ugly NIMBY fest.

It’s 2018 in downtown Brooklyn. It’s their 2-3 story buildings that are out-of-place.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 12:41 PM
BANNED

The ridiculous thing is that Downtown Brooklyn is not the Heights or Park Slope.

Downtown Brooklyn still has a "hood" vibe. Hopefully, it will be gone soon.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:01 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Downtown Brooklyn still has a "hood" vibe. Hopefully, it will be gone soon.
I don't know what that means. But Downtown Brooklyn has always been vibrant. I hope that doesn't change.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't know what that means. But Downtown Brooklyn has always been vibrant. I hope that doesn't change.
When you walk in Midtown, you don't see a lot of "gangstas." In downtown Brooklyn, you see plenty. It's not yet fully gentrified.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
When you walk in Midtown, you don't see a lot of "gangstas." In downtown Brooklyn, you see plenty. It's not yet fully gentrified.
Again, I don't know what you mean by "gangstas".

But I can tell you that Downtown Brooklyn is NOT Midtown. And while there are a lot of good things happening in the city right now, your sentiments are a sign of everything that is WRONG with the city. It's the "out with the natives" and in with the "flashy, expensive, gentrified" streets that New Yorkers don't recognize. Let everything look squeaky clean, and God forbid the people who actually live there, and have lived their their whole lives should walk down the streets. No, bring in the newcomers to shine it all up.

That sir, is exactly something New York doesn't need more of, and is not what makes the city great.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 4:51 PM
BANNED

I work in Midtown and spend a lot of time in court in Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn needs to clean up more in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:00 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ you are both right.

however, i do not like seeing the fulton mall dismantled for the yuppies.

at all.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I work in Midtown and spend a lot of time in court in Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn needs to clean up more in my opinion.
Cleaned up for whom? I worked in Downtown BK, and used to like to spend my lunchtime walking the area around the Fulton St mall. And the streets have always been crowded, full of people who come there to shop or browse the stores, and there are more on the way. It in NO WAY needs to be morphed into Midtown Manhattan. People who are uncomfortable in the environment that downtown BK is now would probably be better suited to Midtown anyway (at least the shiny side of it).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 5:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

There's a fine line between retaining the existing culture and gentrification. Both can be had at the same time, but it must be cautioned that gentrification (full blown), tends to kill the culture and steer it predominately towards one side. Its not heterogeneous in other words.

Brooklyn can grow, but it must not lose its character. The byproduct of growth is change, no doubt, but it can't be 0 to 100, where 100 is in favor of "X" side. What makes NY great is its melting pot nature. Without it, without the chaotic nature of the soup called life, the city would suck. Fortunate it is not the case.

I think what he's referring to are the criminal elements (but its not gentrification that eliminates crime but better police work and presence). Its a far-cry from the 70's, but the city has seen a decline in crime, and with a booming area, police presence is always ticked up a notch and more eyes on the street (more folks outside). So naturally, it will become safer. No worries!!!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:04 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

downtown brooklyn could be a bit more upmarket and 'centered'. 'gangstas' aside, haha.

i mean even brooklyn heights has that stretch on henry with the falafel place, the taxi cab company, the pizzeria etc that look like they time travelled here from 1976. BK heights also has its share of oldsters paying rent-controlled 300$ rents, buildings that have very little turnover.

regarding downtown:

the remaining defaced/destroyed facades all along fulton should be improved with city funds. without kicking out the businesses.

another problem is too many courthouses/notaries/legal crap downtown. this kills other uses, much more than having too many modells and shoe stores.

there is still the parking lot on adams and fulton near the shake shack - it needs to go.

I would like to see the popeyes on court st near joralemon go extinct, not gonna lie. that thing stinks of frying oil some afternoons.

the pace of renovation/new build on schermerhorn/atlantic/3rd avenue/fort greene near bam is such that maybe that will be the market upmarket side of downtown in the near future.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:51 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Those parking lots are on borrowed time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
There's a fine line between retaining the existing culture and gentrification. Both can be had at the same time, but it must be cautioned that gentrification (full blown), tends to kill the culture and steer it predominately towards one side. Its not heterogeneous in other words.

Brooklyn can grow, but it must not lose its character. The byproduct of growth is change, no doubt, but it can't be 0 to 100, where 100 is in favor of "X" side. What makes NY great is its melting pot nature. Without it, without the chaotic nature of the soup called life, the city would suck. Fortunate it is not the case.
Yes, I am not a fan of "gentrification" as a cure for all things, especially in a area that really didn't need a "cure". Downtown BK has always been vibrant by day, similar to how the financial district was once strictly vibrant by day, but now with residential growth has become more alive. You could use more of that in DT Brooklyn, but not at the cost of replacing existing character. In other words, there can be improvement without replacement.

Quote:
I think what he's referring to are the criminal elements.
Then I've got news, there are criminal elements all over the city, and yes on the streets of Midtown.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:29 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

^
JUst a quick aside; but that's a probem the Bronx needs to *seriously* deal with before it can hope to plat catch-up with Kings & Queens counties for peripheral development. But it *is* catching up.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like a supertall!

========================

New Renderings For 74-Story 80 Flatbush, In Downtown Brooklyn

Quote:
New information has been revealed about 80 Flatbush, in Downtown Brooklyn, by Alloy Development. The release brings new renderings, as well as a construction timeline and design revisions in response to a substantial voluntary review process. The proposal will begin the formal public review through ULURP, i.e. the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, in early to mid-March. Architecture Research Office will be responsible for the design of the school, to be included in the base.

The project will total five buildings, utilizing two old structures from the mid-late 19th Century, and creating three new ones. Nearly 900 apartments will be created, with 200 designated as affordable under the City’s Inclusionary Housing Program. 15,000 square feet will be dedicated to the cultural use, 200,000 square feet for office space, and 40,000 square feet to commercial-retail use.

The taller tower remains unchanged. It will rise 74 floors, peaking at 986 feet above street level.

Construction is expected to start next year. Completion of Phase One, which includes the triangular tower and schools is expected to open in 2022. Completion of the second tower and redevelopment of the existing structures is expected by 2025.

Two schools will be created, including a replacement facility for the Khalil Gibran International Academy, the first New York City public school to focus on Arabic language and culture. A combined 700 seats will open up, nearly 78 per 100 households produced.
=====================
NYY

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:28 AM
New Yorker for life

^ It's at least still a 900 footer...

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/2/13/1700...avenue-changes

New looks, details for massive Downtown Brooklyn development ahead of ULURP
80 Flatbush Avenue will bring 900 apartments, two schools, and more to Brooklyn

By Amy Plitt
Feb 13, 2018

Quote:
In response to that critique, as well as others regarding traffic in the area, Alloy has amended the proposal ahead of the ULURP. “We feel like we have a civic responsibility to leverage this transit-rich location in Downtown Brooklyn to address the housing crisis and provide essential infrastructure for the area,” Della Valle said in a statement. “We’re excited to move ahead with what we think is well-crafted, sustainable development, and look forward to further opportunities to hear from the community throughout the review process.”

Other changes are meant to ameliorate concerns over increased traffic. Alloy has moved a truck loading area so that it’s not on residential-heavy State Street, and will seek to eliminate parking that was previously planned for the development, choosing to instead emphasize the development’s proximity to the transit hub at Atlantic Avenue. (Transit advocates have taken notice: Both Transportation Alternatives and the Riders Alliance voiced their support, with the latter’s John Raskin saying that “it is hard to find a more transit-rich development spot in the five boroughs” than the building’s site.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
^
JUst a quick aside; but that's a probem the Bronx needs to *seriously* deal with before it can hope to plat catch-up with Kings & Queens counties for peripheral development. But it *is* catching up.
Development is already beginning there. People will move where there are apartments, that's why the city doesn't have any problem with putting market rate housing on the site of housing projects. As long as there is access to transit, people will move anywhere in the city, especially if they are priced out of other areas.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 5:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:08 PM

Mods need to change the taller tower to 987 ft. per the new designs.

Another supertall (just barely).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 8:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Shorter Component.

Credit: https://80flatbush.com/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 11:29 PM

Does anyone really think the height is going to survive the ULURP, i.e. NIIMBY soapbox, unscathed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals