HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:06 AM
BANNED

THis is another beautiful tower!

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:24 PM

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:15 AM

rgarri4, my friend, you do amazing work. Just spectacular! Your models give such an accurate glimpse as to what could be in our future. Thanks again

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post

[/IMG]
Crossing my rebar fingers that this view materializes within 5 years.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
Crossing my rebar fingers that this view materializes within 5 years.
No kidding! Truly an exciting time. It's going to change the whole perspective of that area.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post

dude thank you so much for these.

elite content.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
^ I wouldn't worry too much about the approval process. The real ticking time bomb is the maturity of this very long lasting bull market, and how many of these proposals can secure financing and begin construction before the housing market implodes in the next year or two, and which will have to wait until after.
Or which developers are willing to take a punt on timing the delivery of units with the eventual recovery. Even if we had a brief recession in 2019 (say over 4 quarters), none of these would be ready to close sales before things started heading up again. So unless something happens to change the medium-term thesis, a recession doesn’t really matter as long as they don’t have too many balls in the air. The 2008 crash was different because you actually had major banks struggling with solvency; no one could place a bet on anything.

But I think what he meant is that, if Amazon chose Chicago, the local high-end condo market would probably grow through any national recession anyway, whether it was actual amazon employees or just speculators looking to flip to them. Hell, if Amazon chose Chicago then I might look for a 2-bedroom to buy quickly at the right price.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:31 PM
1st Ward

^ Amazon choosing Chicago is a long shot (technically all the locations are long shots; from a purely mathematical perspective its 5% for each of the 20 locations.... short of the DC area that is) but if they do indeed choose us, you are absolutely right. I don't see why any of these major 1000+ ft projects wouldn't get built, recession or not. It would be a fantastic situation to find ourselves in.

Regarding an upcoming recession, you are correct in that most likely we wont see all bank lending dry up completely as was the case in 08-09, but it might cause some parties to put a few projects on pause, especially if they have several high end projects all going at once in the same market (like Related Midwest, for instance). The fact that these towers are predominantly rentals also works in their favor of being built during a down market, since mortgages wont be an issue and people need a place to live regardless of the economic situation. It all really depends on how well the high end segment of the rental market fares when the economic headwinds go south in the next year or two. People may feel pressured to trade down to more economical living quarters, even if they keep their job; the fear of losing it could be enough to depress demand.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:47 PM
TL;DR

Mortgage lending is already pretty anemic IIRC. It's definitely too cautious to fuel a true condo boom around the city. Banks are already extending mortgages to the most credit-worthy folks only, so I'm not sure they have much room to pull back in the event of a recession.

In other words, the folks buying high-end downtown condos right now would probably be doing that anyway, recession or not.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:44 PM

Maybe not a condo boom, but there is demand not being tapped. There really has not been much of anything built with moderately well to do condo pricing. There is a demand. Anything that has gone on sale in my building in the West Loop has not even lasted a week on market and gets higher than what they were asking most of the time. It is insane.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:33 PM
THAT Guy

Round 2:

Quote:
Alderman Reilly invites you to join him and the New Eastside Association of Residents (NEAR) at an informational presentation regarding revisions and updates to the development proposal at Lakeshore East for Parcels I, J, K, and L, located at 197-301 North Harbor Drive and 452-500 East Waterside Drive.

WHAT: Revised development proposal at Lakeshore East:
Parcels I, J, K, and L

WHO: Hosted by Alderman Brendan Reilly and the
Near Eastside Association of Residents (NEAR)

WHEN: Wednesday, August 29, 2018, 6:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.

WHERE: Radisson Blu Hotel - Atlantic Ballroom
221 N. Columbus Drive, Chicago, IL 60601

Representatives of both the Lendlease Development Inc. development team and the Lakeshore East LLC development team will present their updated and revised plans and answer any questions you may have about this proposal. Alderman Reilly will be present at this meeting to monitor the discussion and record your feedback.

The Applicant is proposing revisions to the development proposal at Lakeshore East: Parcels I, J, K, and L located at 197-301 N. Harbor Dr. and 452-500 E. Waterside Dr. to include three (3) buildings containing a total of up to 1,700 residential dwelling units and 30,000 square feet of retail.

In July 2017, the Applicant presented their development proposal to the neighborhood at a public community meeting with Alderman Reilly.

After the community presentation to the neighborhood, Alderman Reilly directed the development team to hold meetings with each residential building in the New Eastside to ensure every resident was afforded the opportunity to review the project and express their concerns.

This resulted in over a dozen subsequent meetings, which Alderman Reilly's staff attended to monitor and take detailed notes.

After reviewing substantial neighborhood feedback and cataloguing his own concerns regarding this initial proposal, Alderman Reilly announced his rejection of the project in December 2017. Since then, the Applicant has incorporated community feedback to improve their plans and they are now prepared to share their new design with the community for further input.
Looks to be the same # of units.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Nice. When it rains it pours.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:39 PM

New housing for Salesforce, jk. lol

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New housing for Salesforce, jk. lol
Ha, pretty much

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 12:29 AM

No, WPE is new housing for Salesforce, this is where the Amazon employees will live...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
No, WPE is new housing for Salesforce, this is where the Amazon employees will live...
Yeah I know. Nah I don't think Amazon people would go there public transit objectively sucks from there. My least favorite part of downtown.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Not so fast. I personally would rather paint my living room beige than work immediately next door to the building I work in. I can't think of a more monotonous and numbing way to live. At least in this location you could commute via the riverwalk.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Not so fast. I personally would rather paint my living room beige than work immediately next door to the building I work in. I can't think of a more monotonous and numbing way to live. At least in this location you could commute via the riverwalk.
After the grueling 3 hours I spent in traffic yesterday, I would gladly take the option to live next to where I work

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
I am 100% with you!!! And worst case scenario...

"We can see the lights are on in your condo so your home. We really need your help with a problem so could you come to work for a few hours"....

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 4:29 PM

I wonder how different the new design will be from the original design?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals