HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:59 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 2 Manhattan West | 950 FT | 60 FLOORS

First Filings Submitted for Manhattan West’s Second Office Tower Show Height Decrease, Hudson Yards
By: Nikolai Fedak
October 18, 2017

Quote:
Yesterday, YIMBY reported on the latest progress at Brookfield’s Manhattan West, in Midtown West/Hudson Yards. Today, the first filings have appeared for the site’s second office tower, which will sit on the northwest corner of 31st Street and Ninth Avenue, and has evidently seen a moderate height chop.

Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill LLP will be designing the building, and it will have a total construction area measuring just shy of 1.75 million square feet. Within that, the entirety of the usable 1,693,220 square feet will be for commercial use. The tower will rise 59 floors and 849 feet to its rooftop, a considerable drop from the original estimates of over 1,000 feet, and approximately 70 floors.

There may still be a rooftop element that adds a few dozen feet to the parapet, but this will no longer be an actual supertall, falling short of the 300-meter (984-foot) threshold.

The filings are the first sign that Brookfield is moving forward with its second office tower. Leasing activity has been very strong for 1 Manhattan West, with Ernst & Young recently taking 600,000 square feet, and between the new building and what’s left at 401 Ninth Avenue, about two million square feet remains available.
Sad to see the height go, but at least those air rights can still be used for Four Manhattan West or sold...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Sad to see the height go, but at least those air rights can still be used for Four Manhattan West or sold...
We expected this one to be a little shorter just going by the number of floors.
It was cut so that 3 Manhattan West could live. Not supertall status, but still big enough.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristin.../#5c3f222c3446

https://www.6sqft.com/som-architects...n-west-towers/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

I don't get office developers. What's the point of this? Why not just spec the rest of the original height. Does anyone really believe it wouldn't fill up? Is the construction financing from the bank so stringent that they make them lop a few floors off of a project like this unless they have every tenant sign on the dotted line?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It was cut so that 3 Manhattan West could live. Not supertall status, but still big enough.
I didn't know that, but now that I do I feel like it was the right decision. Sure a behemoth tower would have been nice to give 30HY some company, but the density brought to that area of the skyline -especially when viewed from the south- really connects Manhattan West with the rest of Hudson Yards. No 3 MW would mean an unsightly gap in the skyline, like a missing tooth in a nice smile.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 11:56 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I'm liking the subtle differences in the skin treatment for both towers.

I'm just wondering why that 3rd pic doesn't reflect it...Or is just a placement sketch?

Is the glass blue reflective or transparent? I can't tell from the fist few panels they put on 1MW.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 5:57 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:04 PM
New Yorker for life

https://ny.curbed.com/2017/11/27/167...ion-update-nyc

Quote:
The Department of Buildings has processed plans for Two Manhattan West, a 59-story office tower measuring just shy of 1.75 million square feet. The tower will rise at 401 West 31st Street at the corner of Ninth Avenue and will stand 849 feet, per plans on file with the city. Those stats mean the building will be taller than Manhattan West’s completed rental The Eugene but shorter than its centerpiece office building at One Manhattan West.

Manhattan West’s official website recounts the building’s stats a bit differently, saying it will stand 56 floors, 935 feet, and cover 1.9 million square feet. Curbed has reached out to the develop for clarification.

That was the old figure, when 2 MW was on the site of 1 MW. But they do have this info on the current site...

http://www.manhattanwestnyc.com/visi...-west/gallery/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:01 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

50' short of being a supertall now?

give it a couple more floors -- CAHMAAAHN!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:17 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

That last street level render is powerful indeed.

The overall podium is magnificently proportioned and the way the angles of the tower juxtapose with "Big Brother" is awe-inspiring.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
That last street level render is powerful indeed.

The overall podium is magnificently proportioned and the way the angles of the tower juxtapose with "Big Brother" is awe-inspiring.

I keep saying it, but it's very WTC-ish to me.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:42 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

The more I study it, the more I'm fascinated by the subtlety of the countours both these towers assume.

The rounded corners are one thing (but a good thing...just saying); but the convexity at both tower's lower levels clinch it.

I'm somewhat surprised at how overlooked the similarity to the 10/30 HY juxtaposition now is given 2MW's height chop.

Are there any renders showing both pairs in context? It would serve to illustrate my point.

PS: IMO it's rather a shame that 3MW seems so pedestrian (no pun intended) in comparison.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:24 PM
New Yorker for life

https://nypost.com/2018/01/02/ey-sig...anhattan-west/

Quote:
...Brookfield also recently filed Buildings Department plans for Two Manhattan West, a 62-story tower at Ninth Avenue and West 31st Street. Clark said, “There’s lots of tenant activity although we’re nowhere near announcing anything, but we hope to in 2018.” Clark said the tower should be open in 2022.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:25 AM

I love the two together rendition! So the height is up a little from the cut to 59 stories to now 62 stories? Or was that a misprint?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 4:28 PM

This is apparently U/C, from CaseyP432 on Yimby :

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 7:09 PM

Might just be base floors and foundations like 2 WTC. Wouldn’t this tower need a major tenant to rise, or did one get signed and I just missed out on it?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Might just be base floors and foundations like 2 WTC. Wouldn’t this tower need a major tenant to rise, or did one get signed and I just missed out on it?
I thought this would need a tenant too, and I don't think they've signed one yet, although Brookfield did recently file fresh DOB permits. It was reported in January that EY was increasing the amount of space they were taking in MW 1, so maybe EY upsized again, and now there's not enough space in MW 1, so they're moving here...?

It's hard to tell where that steel erection is happening on site, but with no announced tenant, I'd imagine they're building the ground of the plaza between buildings 1 and 2, shown below :

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 2:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
This is apparently U/C, from CaseyP432 on Yimby :

Probably something related to the construction, but not the tower itself. They haven't yet been given building permits by the DOB.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 7:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 9:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

No time to waste.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction