HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 5:01 AM

I was wondering if they can replace expo line with Wider cars rather than extend the platforms (which they plan to do soon).

I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that the skytrain line was built so they could be widened. For example, at the platforms....there is a yellow plastic/metal siding that overhangs the concrete. If I remember correctly....these could be removed to allow wider cars. Of course ALL cars would have to be changed. I am unsure if the track needs to be adjusted. I know wider cars exist because some skytrain lines in other cities (eg...i think beijing) use the wider skytrain cars.

I dont' think wider Mark I cars were ever produced....but I know for certain wider Mark II cars were made.

If Expo can be widened...this would be the best time. Buy wider cars for expo, put all the current narrow stock on Millenium/Evergreen (ie, don't need to buy cars for evergreen), and just renovate the Expo stations to fit the wide cars (ie remove the yellow plastic/metal sidings) thus mitigating the need to expensively lengthen the Expo platforms.

I think wide trains would fit more and be more comfortable than super long 8 car MARK I or 6 car MARK II narrow skytrains on lengthened platforms.

The only downside is that Expo line would be permanently seperated from Millenium and Evergreen lines.....which I don't really think is a huge problem...and will be fixed when years later....we widen the Millenium and Evergreen lines too when capacity becomes an issue.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure