HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 2:34 PM

Agreed.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:17 PM

With 13 days left to go before the deadline, we estimate that approximately 50,000 referendum signatures have been collected thus far.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
With 13 days left to go before the deadline, we estimate that approximately 50,000 referendum signatures have been collected thus far.
disgusting.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:27 AM

Well, I signed the petition today. The packet I signed was pretty dang full. Also while I was in the place of signing quite a few others signed as well. The shop will also be participating in a show/convention at the southe towne expo center this weekend. So, I am guessing that they will have the petitions there as well. That will add a few signatures as well I'm sure.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Well, I signed the petition today. The packet I signed was pretty dang full. Also while I was in the place of signing quite a few others signed as well. The shop will also be participating in a show/convention at the southe towne expo center this weekend. So, I am guessing that they will have the petitions there as well. That will add a few signatures as well I'm sure.
I am now on an anti-Viperlord kick for the next 2 weeks. Down with Viper!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:30 AM
Denver is the M/W Father!

Location: IN THE LAND OF MILK AND HONEY WHERE HOPS AND CANNABIS REIGN SUPREME!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Would it be distributed evenly throughout the SL metro region if the stadium was in SLC (where the minority of the people in the metro live)?
Now by "minority" do you mean as a whole? Or is there another SLC Valley Metro City that has surpassed SLC Propoer? isn't SLC Almost like 130K alone? Which other city in that "valley" has a higher population? I am not trying to be rude or start anything, maybe that is not what you meant? Clearify Please Wreny wren...

There is no such thing as remaining constant.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:47 AM

no other city has a higher population than SLC.. just questioning whether money would be distributed throughout the REST of the Metro area. SLC has 180k, and the metro is much much more than that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 5:47 AM
100 days to economic ruin

Quote:
Don't forget that all the signatures have to be certified and about 15-20% are typically rejected.

When is RSL going to get an expert publicist? Fewer people would oppose the stadium if they really understood that much of the money was going to be spent on the parking garage anyway and land is land. In SL valley it's always a good investment.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 2:43 PM

sources say that construction should start on April 2nd....

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 3:02 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
sources say that construction should start on April 2nd....

Those anti RSL Soccer Player Haters are running out of time. Lets get this project on the move.

4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:29 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Breaking:

Dave Checketts spoke to Fox 13 news and says that work on the RSL stadium is now only days away, not weeks.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 12:32 AM
Bring out the cranes...

The RSL Stadium now has it's own website. It goes over how this stadium deal is a good deal and that the people here don't have to pay for it.

http://www.rslstadium.com/index.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 1:21 AM

hmmm... link doesnt work for me... what a good deal.

Real knows that there deal is unfavorable with the citizens, and is scared that this petition might throw a wrench in their plans. That is the only reason why they throw out this whole "its good for the people" campaign.

e-mail general manager Steve Pastorino, and tell him what you really think of his team. I have and I feel much better lol

spastorino@realsaltlake.com

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 1:40 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I e-mailed the guy and told him that I like the team and that the stadium must be build and that in the long run this deal will be good for the people. Now I feel better. Thanks for the e-mail link Viper.

Also word is that work on the stadium could start any day now.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:09 AM

good work RSL... people like Viper need to be informed of what is really happening with the stadium funding.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:28 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Groundbreaking for RSL stadium is this Monday, also due date for those jerks that are trying to get people to sign and stop the funding.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:41 AM

Link?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:49 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Link?
Not sure about a link. But it was on fox 13 news tongiht. You could try out their website. Myfoxutah.com

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 12:51 PM

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,660209483,00.html

Checketts, Real poised for stadium construction

By Amelia Nielson-Stowell
Deseret Morning News
SANDY — Eight months after the official ceremonial groundbreaking for the Real Salt Lake soccer stadium, literal groundbreaking on the site will finally happen Monday.
Michael Brandy, Deseret Morning NewsDave Checketts stands on the 136-acre site that he and Sandy officials hope to turn into a mega-development. Real team owner Dave Checketts toured the location of the future $110 million Major League Soccer stadium Thursday with officials of Layton Turner Construction, which is building the stadium on the northwest corner of 9400 S. State. It's slated to open in August 2008, with a game against Real Madrid.
"Why I came down here instead of downtown (Salt Lake) — this was a blank canvas," Checketts said, standing on what will soon be the north corner of the field.
"What I'd like to do is create an international square of sorts," he added, speaking of what Real and Sandy hope will be a 136-acre mega-development of that entire block, with outdoor dining and shopping. Checketts envisions the look of a European market.
Checketts also revealed that beer will be sold in the stadium; that a big-time developer is partnering with Real to develop the "superblock"; and that the hockey team St. Louis Blues, which he owns, could play exhibition games on the field if it is turned into an ice rink during the winter off-season.
Since a much-publicized groundbreaking in August with soccer superstar David Beckham, no actual construction has been done on the site outside of brush clearing and site staking.
Negotiations to give the team millions in public funds hit roadblocks throughout 2006. Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon denied a funding plan for the stadium three times, once in May, again in July and for a final time this January. He deemed it a risky investment of the county's hotel-tax dollars.
But in February, the Legislature approved a last-minute funding package for the stadium, forcing $35 million of the county's hotel-room tax revenue to go toward land and parking at the site.
Those never-ending negotiations also forced Real's first investor, Goldman Sachs, to pull out of the project last month. Real, however, quickly secured iStar Financial as a new investor.
That land cost Real $20 million to $22 million for two pieces: private property from resident Bonnie Miller and the Ardell Brown RV park (per terms of the RV park sale contract, Brown gets to kick the first ball at the opening Real Madrid game).
Under terms of the deal with the state, Real will sell that stadium site for the same price they bought it for to the state. The state will own the land the actual stadium, parking and additional roads will sit on.
The Monday construction start date is the same day signatures are due for a voter referendum against public funding for the stadium. If nearly 92,000 signatures of registered Utah voters are collected by April 9, a decision on whether the $35 million in hotel-tax dollars goes to the stadium could be up to voters.
Checketts said he recognizes the referendum is part of the political process. But he said he's concerned that there's been misinformation about the project.
Real has been running full-page color ads in the Deseret Morning News detailing the stadium deal. Those ads, he said, are part of "Real Week," the week leading up to the first home game of the season, which happens Saturday. He added, though, that they clear up confusion surrounding the funding details.
"There had been enough misinformation that we were obligated not to fight anybody," he said, "but inform the state."
Sandy city has been leery of approving any sort of parking plans with Real because of numerous unresolved issues. City officials are worried about the limited amount of stalls on-site and how to funnel more than 20,000 fans in and out of the stadium for games.
The limited surface parking (less than 1,000 spots) is a temporary plan, and Real plans to build a larger parking structure as a permanent solution once the bigger development falls into place. Checketts said he's not "stressed about that at all.
"We're confident that there's 7,000 parking places in a 15-minute walking distance," he said. "I don't think they're (Sandy) comfortable yet, but they'll either get comfortable or we'll figure it out."
Jake Greenland, project manager for Layton Turner Construction, said 400-450 employees will be working to build the project. Steel will start going up in mid-June.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 2:35 PM

Awesome! August of 08 opening, huh. That means 4 months of RSL on the road? Doesn't the lease with RES end after this year?

Also interesting to see that the Blues might play some exhibition games here at the stadium. That would be cool. Maybe it will be a tryout to see if we would support an NHL team here....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West