HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Skintreesnail: love the pics.
Seems like the subway entrance may be out on the curb, so that it's not blocking the pedestrian space between the buildings?
Yeah, I don't think it's blocking too much, but it does look kind of funny head-on, like a bouncer at a club or something.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:32 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Yeah, I don't think it's blocking too much, but it does look kind of funny head-on, like a bouncer at a club or something.
for sure - that's what i was (poorly) trying to describe a few posts back. it isn't physically preventing people from accessing the footpath, but the visual is definitely a bit of a psychological deterrent.

make it all/mostly glass and it would feel way different.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:38 PM

^ Might be worth an offer from National to Septa to replace it with a Dilworth Plaza type glass entrance.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 7:49 PM

I'm surprised that none of the other buildings have taken advantage of the Signage District permitting to spruce up their exteriors, add some pizazz to the streetscape, and earn additional $$ with advertising revenue.

Can someone explain to me why they seem to be putting super dark tinted windows on the gallery exterior skin? They are going through all this effort to tear down walls and bring the streetscape inside, but the windows seem to be incredibly tinted, almost opaque - which completely ruins the effect? Retail should be crystal clear plate glass (ala Apple Store) so you feel compelled inside, not dark tinted black that obscures the offerings all to save a few $$ on heating/cooling. Is that an optical illusion?

It's certainly not with the "renovated" Inquirer/Daily NEws portion. Those windows are so dark they might as well be a wall from the outside. Man, these architects blow.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Man, these architects blow.
Who blew first, the client or the architect?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:13 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Well, I wouldn't rule out that either party got pleasure from it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Well, I wouldn't rule out that either party got pleasure from it.
I wouldn't rule it in either.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that none of the other buildings have taken advantage of the Signage District permitting to spruce up their exteriors, add some pizazz to the streetscape, and earn additional $$ with advertising revenue.

Can someone explain to me why they seem to be putting super dark tinted windows on the gallery exterior skin? They are going through all this effort to tear down walls and bring the streetscape inside, but the windows seem to be incredibly tinted, almost opaque - which completely ruins the effect? Retail should be crystal clear plate glass (ala Apple Store) so you feel compelled inside, not dark tinted black that obscures the offerings all to save a few $$ on heating/cooling. Is that an optical illusion?

It's certainly not with the "renovated" Inquirer/Daily NEws portion. Those windows are so dark they might as well be a wall from the outside. Man, these architects blow.
There was no renovation of the Inquirer portion of the building. Only the storefront below. Hopefully they won't be putting in windows like in the parts that were actually renovated.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
There was no renovation of the Inquirer portion of the building. Only the storefront below. Hopefully they won't be putting in windows like in the parts that were actually renovated.
EDIT: I do now see similar windows on the second floor of the renovated portions further West. But the ground floor is not supposed to be like that.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
awesome pics, guys.

one thing that i noticed while walking by is that the subway entrance blocks the pedestrian walkway, which takes away from the welcoming feel - you wouldn’t even necessarily know it was back there or open to the public. hopefully once the fences and everything clear out it will have a different vibe, but it likely won’t be readily apparent from the opposite side of market.

I'll add my voice to the chorus about having entrances to the underground coming up through the sidewalks. On new construction it seems like it would be a no brainer for the City to offer a zoning bonus, or something that the developers would like, in exchange for having at the bare minimum a envelope/room/space in the new building where SEPTA could build a subway entrance. If 1301 Market St. happens that would be another spot where the public sidewalk could be reclaimed. I think the buildings owners and tenants would like having a direct entrance.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I'll add my voice to the chorus about having entrances to the underground coming up through the sidewalks. On new construction it seems like it would be a no brainer for the City to offer a zoning bonus, or something that the developers would like, in exchange for having at the bare minimum a envelope/room/space in the new building where SEPTA could build a subway entrance. If 1301 Market St. happens that would be another spot where the public sidewalk could be reclaimed. I think the buildings owners and tenants would like having a direct entrance.
There are FAR bonuses for "Transit improvements" that I think would fall under that definition: Philadelphia Code section 14-702(8)

Quote:
(8) Transit Improvements.

(a) Criteria.

A floor area bonus or building height bonus, as applicable, may be earned by improving, connecting to, constructing or extending a rail, subway, or trolley transit station or stop, concourse, or water taxi station, provided that the project meets the following standards:

(.1) The applicant shall submit a letter from the appropriate transit authority confirming that the transit authority approves the portion of the project that will be constructed on its property.

(.2) Qualifying improvements made by the applicant may include any of the following:

(.a) New access easements or improvements to connecting passageways, mezzanines, or concourse areas;

(.b) Constructing a new rail, subway, trolley transit or water taxi station;

(.c) Extending the concourse of an existing rail, subway, or trolley transit station or expanding an existing water taxi station;

(.d) Permanent structural improvements, not including routine maintenance or repairs, to an existing rail, subway, trolley transit, or water taxi station or stop; or

(.e) Streetscape improvements in excess of the minimum code requirements that enhance pedestrian and bicycle connections to an existing rail, subway, trolley transit, or water taxi station or stop. Streetscape improvements provided to earn the transit improvement bonus shall be approved by the Commission for the provision of safe and attractive pedestrian and bicycle routes to transit.
For CMX-5 properties the bonus is:

Quote:
100% of lot area per each 1% of estimated building hard costs spent on transit improvements, up to a maximum of 400% of lot area

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
They definitely renovated the upper portion and added windows.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
They definitely renovated the upper portion and added windows.
Windows look no different to me than before the renovation began: https://www.google.com/maps/place/90...!4d-75.1556782

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 12:50 AM

Entrance to SEPTA

FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
apparently the developer got a grant to replace the headhouse entrance on this block. They are actively removing the sidewalk near 11th street and getting ready to put in new sidewalk. Hopefully people will be able to stop walking in the street within a few weeks.
Can’t find anything verifying this but hopefully it’s true.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 2:23 PM

If anyone remembers, I wrote a letter a few days back to the architects of Fashion District/Gallery kindly suggesting that the exterior of the building going up is a bit alarming and asking what will be done to make it look better, response below:

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out. Like you, we are very excited by all of the improvements occurring in the market east corridor. Regarding our project, prior to opening, the façade will be cleaned and LED signs will be installed on the exterior of the building. The glass cube entrance at 9th & Market will also incorporate LED lights to complement the digital signage – you may have seen them lit up already if you walked by at night.

We also plan to install festive holiday décor and lighting which will substantially improve the building façade. We appreciate your and the neighborhood’s support throughout construction as we work to deliver a world-class shopping destination to Philadelphia!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:46 PM

Quote:
If anyone remembers, I wrote a letter a few days back to the architects of Fashion District/Gallery kindly suggesting that the exterior of the building going up is a bit alarming and asking what will be done to make it look better, response below:
Are they covering the entire facade with LED signs? Are they covering the windows there? (I would be totally fine if they did)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Are they covering the entire facade with LED signs? Are they covering the windows there? (I would be totally fine if they did)
? No they are doing nearly exactly what East Market is doing. I think they'll have 10-14 total signs/billboards (all of the renders clearly show this). I highly doubt that windows will be covered.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the effort. The response offers at least some consolation.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 11:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 12:44 PM

Happy 4th.
Looks like the sky cam has been down for a week . Not sure it's needed anymore .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive