HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
This is insane.....

Again the two week forecast for Vancouver shows nothing but 4 to 6 degree below seasonal temps with a continued mix of rain and snow.

Would not be surprised if this becomes the worst March ever. Also, seeing how the last 3 months was the coldest 3 month stretch in the Pacific North West since 1985, adding a 4th month to it may set us all the way back to the 1960s or further for coldest stretch of weather. Again, not the most extreme (2008 still had more extreme conditions) but just persistent cool.
Dislike it when the already short window of opportunity to do anything in Vancouver becomes that much shorter. If I never see a fall/winter/start to spring like this again in my life I would be okay with it. There are going to be 26 or 27 days of precip. this month. The normal is 16. Add to that the snow and the 53 days of rain in Oct. and Nov. (normal for both months is 35) then my nerves get frayed. Ready to head out to San Diego or Las Vegas. You would think that there would be more colour in our architecture given the weather conditions. Seafoam green glass, gray spandrel, and concrete are not the answer.

Thanks for the pictures of spring mcminsen. It adds a bit of colour to a drab fall/winter/start to spring. The latter cant come soon enough for me. Heat and lots of sun is what I am hoping for in late spring/summer.

Last edited by sburnaby33; Mar 26, 2017 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 6:45 PM
life in the present

If this is the new winter / spring weather pattern for the next few years we're going to require some therapies to cope with the lack of light such as the 'light rooms',https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053580 they have in Scandinavia and as sburnaby33 mentioned, far more colour in our architecture like many other northern latitude parts of the world.

Personally I'm finding it difficult to cope, even more-so with the anticipation of the 'end of it' and the start of spring which just doesn't seem to be happening. Almost every weekend has been terrible, I'm part of a hiking group and we've been cancelling everything, this time last year I'd already started climbing the Chief, going up Skyline Trail on Grouse and many others, today we cancelled a hike around Buntzen Lake.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 7:05 PM

please tell me its not going to snow, i am finally escaping the snow after 5 weeks hoping to see some spring time weather..up north here winter is expected to remain until may this year, march and april are supposed to remain below normal with cold temps

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 10:26 PM

We are living a La Nina winter following last year's El Nino winter. I am not denying that I miss the sun, but next winter is again going to be more normal after these past few years. This phenomenon is nothing new to West Coast.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 11:57 PM
life in the present

Have to disagree a little Klazu, while, yes we're in a La Nina, I've never witnessed a winter like this, 2008 - 2009 saw tons of snow but we had an early and warm spring, 2011 spring was terrible, rained right up to June but winter was mild. Been here most of my life and most of us 'old-timers' concur regarding the severity and length of this winter.

We've also been at or near record breaking rainfall every month since October coupled with record snowfall and well below average temps.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 12:24 AM
See ya down under, mates

This is the most depressed I've ever been from Vancouver weather. I've always hated rain/local weather but this is unbearable. Wish my wife would agree to move.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
This is the most depressed I've ever been from Vancouver weather. I've always hated rain/local weather but this is unbearable. Wish my wife would agree to move.
...in your estimation, would you say that Calgary's weather is "better"??? Calgary weather for the upcoming week: https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html

Last edited by Caliplanner1; Mar 27, 2017 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:32 AM

agreed with everyone else, this fall/winter/start to spring has been unbearable for me, I seriously can't stand this much longer, getting seriously depressed.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:25 AM

where I am up north, it is sunny pretty much every day which is nice that it's not grey and gloomy but it will be -20 and sunny which isn't pleasant and the snow is so blinding from all the sun reflecting off it. So I am about 5 hours south and its been pretty warm and the snow is melting around here and there is grass showing through now. Back up north it was snowing a few days and lots of snow still.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:59 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliplanner1 View Post
...in your estimation, would you say that Calgary's weather is "better"??? Calgary weather for the upcoming week: https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html
I think all of Canada is terrible for weather but yeah I would probably like Calgary better... for weather only.

I was pushing hard to move to Auckland when my wife was ironically offered a great job by the notary processing her NZ citizenship. Just when you think you're out, they pull you back in.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:35 PM

I've been hearing about this quake hitting a lot lately. They are saying it will hit in May. My brother wants to fly my mom to alberta so she isn't there in May.

this guy seems to always get everything else he predicts right...

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:50 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I've been hearing about this quake hitting a lot lately. They are saying it will hit in May. My brother wants to fly my mom to alberta so she isn't there in May.

Earthquakes are not weather related. We are also well past the 2 weeks every 14 months when we get higher seismic activity.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Video Link
"They" are not saying anything. You cannot predict an earthquake with that type of precision.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:11 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to post it. According to Environment Canada, Metro Vancouver will be split into 5 different forecast regions so separate forecast and alert can be issued:
  • City of Vancouver - including Burnaby and New Westminster
  • North Shore - including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley

This means we will now see something like "Snowfall Warning issued for North Shore". I guess this will prevent the case where places like Richmond was under a snowfall warning but is raining all day...

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 6:27 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
This means we will now see something like "Snowfall Warning issued for North Shore". I guess this will prevent the case where places like Richmond was under a snowfall warning but is raining all day...
With the elevation differences even the north shore should be split in half. Weather is very different near the inlet, warmer and drier.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:11 PM

Apparently we're headed for an extended period of warm, dry and sunny weather. At least a week, probably more. It's actually happening, I can't believe it. It's been almost a year.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Apparently we're headed for an extended period of warm, dry and sunny weather. At least a week, probably more. It's actually happening, I can't believe it. It's been almost a year.
Since Monday this week, the forecast has literally been "cloudy/cool/rainy today, tomorrow and the foreseeable future: sunny".

And now it's Thursday.

The continual inability for these "professionals" to actually predict the weather is amazing. They should give this up as a real area of study or attention.

Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Almost a year? You mean September?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:45 PM

This week is going to be a scorcher...

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:25 PM

I went out to Kits Beach to see what I could of the solar eclipse. I used my binoculars to project an image of the sun onto some paper. At the peak we saw about 88% coverage of the sun. It got noticeably chilly for a while but I didn't see too much difference in the overall light of day. The second pic below was taken about 35 minutes before the peak, the third pic was at the peak and the fourth pic was about 25 minutes after the peak. As I was leaving the area (about 30 minutes after the peak) I noticed the sunspots on the sidewalk shining through the leaves of the trees were little crescents instead of round spots (last pic).

Aug.21 '17, my pics

35 minutes before peak:

peak:

25 minutes after peak:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion