HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 5:45 AM
Fourth and Main

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
We now have higher quality renderings, thanks to Linville Team Partners. If you would like to lease, the phone number is (336) 724-1715. Office, retail, restaurant, and entertainment space is available. (CIC) Cambridge Innovation Center's Venture Cafe is among the tenants, along with a minority business incubator. A pharmaceutical clinical trials company's headquarters (relocation from another city) is rumored to be a possible tenant in the office space. I've also heard The Porch restaurant is planning a new concept in one of the restaurant spaces in the project. A brewery is said to be considering this project. Apartments with retail spaces have broken ground across Fifth Street from the power plant, with 344 apartment units. There was talk of bowling and a movie theatre in the power plant at one time. The leasing agent can tell you more. (336) 724-1715

You know you want your business in this awesome project. It's a massive coal-fired power plant converted to office and retail/entertainment space in downtown's IQ District (innovation district)! It's between the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel and Bailey Park, near classrooms for Wake Forest University (Engineering School and Downtown Medical School) and Virginia Tech University's School of Biomedical Engineering & Sciences. It's a great location for creative or tech company offices and retail/entertainment businesses.

Credit: Linville Team Partners

I've heard they are considering ice skating, skate boarding, and rock climbing in the Coal Pit:

Outside area of a restaurant space:

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:39 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
Thank you for visiting this thread for your weekly update on "Hyphen City." We have a massive update this week! I also want to thank the photographers and local businesses who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

A construction update on the project posted in the renderings above.

A rare interior view of the construction:

Credit: daddysmoney404

Credit: simplyseton

Workers pour the concrete floors (also note construction starting at Link Apartments Innovation Quarter - Lower right corner):

Credit: alovelylula

More from Friday's (April 7) concrete pour:

Credit: ChandlerConcreteCompany

Credit: ChandlerConcreteCompany

An older concrete pour from a few weeks ago:

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

Gallery Lofts II:
Chaucer Creek Capital (CCC Gallery Lofts II) requested a rezoning, that allows for downtown apartment buildings without parking, on a site they own next to The Gallery Lofts. However, they recently pulled the rezoning request and will resubmit again, soon. They are preparing to start construction, soon, on a new residential project for this site. No plans submitted at this time. This could be a larger project than we expected? We will see what happens.

The O'Hanlon:

Exterior photograph from Sunday (April 9):

Credit: parks_stallings

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Construction workers are on site, the silt fencing is up, workers are installing the construction fence (closing more sidewalks), site demolition is underway, and excavation has started. This should be a fun project to follow. It is a massive apartment development, with 344 apartment units and two Fifth Street retail spaces. Yes, this is the apartment building across the street from Bailey Power Plant's construction site.

Credit: alovelylula

Credit: innovationquarter

So many sidewalks and streets are closing, due to all of the construction downtown.

Fiddlin' Fish Brewing Company:
"Things are really taking shape down at 772 Trade Street NW! Framing is complete and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing are being roughed in this week. The anticipation is building!"

Credit: fiddlinfishbrewing

Hotel Indigo:

The back side of the hotel, seen below, will be covered by a new addition:

Credit: chad_conger

I'm guessing the entire back walls will be demolished, as part of the hotel renovation?

1791 Tower Clock Restoration:
Is this project now completed?

Workers clean the clock face on the 226 year-old clock:

Credit: oldsaleminc

Applying new gold leaf to the clock face:

Credit: home1771

1802 Vierling House Restoration: Built!
Yes, it's finally completed and open to the public as a museum on the city's biotech/medical history, from 1802 to today. When it was built, 215 years ago, Dr. Samuel Benjamin Vierling's office was the only up-to-date doctor's office within hundreds of miles of Winston-Salem. The well-educated doctor from Europe would attract patients from every part of North Carolina and from neighboring states. He was a physician, dentist, surgeon, pharmacist, and veterinarian. The building was restored with materials similar to those used at the time of construction. Part of the restoration repaired cracks from an earthquake in 1886. Staples & Charles Ltd., designed the museum displays. Be sure to visit this museum the next time you are in Winston-Salem!

An 1875 photograph:

Photograph from last week: (Notice it has Victorian earthquake bolts in this photograph)

Credit: Bill Wells

Credit: welcomewinstonsalem

NoTra Mixed-use Building: Built!
This project is now completed. It's still one of the least photographed construction projects on this thread, so I don't have any new photographs to show of the completed building. If any are shared, maybe I can post them in a later update?

Credit: DWSP

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:
I think they are pouring a new sidewalk and planting new landscaping on the eastern side of the project?

A good look at Twin City Lofts on the skyline: (Grey building in the middle)

Credit: BEERSNGEARS

757 North Apartments:
We haven't seen any updates on this project since January 17! It looks great.

Credit: 757northapts

Reynolds Athletic Complex:
Frank L. Blum Construction said "Here you can see the columns that have replaced what was formerly a four-story wall traversing the building, creating a much more open layout. The new facility will have 19,000 square feet of workout space, including a Cross Fit area on this new section of the third floor. Roman arches in the central part of the building are being reinforced with a hidden lintel system." Completion is scheduled for August 2017.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

AFAS Center for the Arts:

Credit: prowebwriter

Credit: andresrichner

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Credit: DebDubya

500 West Fifth Street:

Credit: mabisonline

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Central on 5th:

Alternative Transportation:

Passageway Park:

Credit: osgoodla.inc

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)
rmhpmi at the WSTB Forum is reporting the segment south of Third Street is completed and open. Construction will be completed in 5-6 months on the segment north of Third Street. No details on future segments north of Eighth Street? When fully built-out, it will end around 25th Street, next to Blum Park.

They don't have the color-changing LED lights operating on these bridges:

Credit: t_sparks97

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
I have a big update and I'll try to shorten it as much as possible! According to those on the restoration team, this building was saved from neglect in 2011, when the city took it by eminent domain. They were very close to losing the plaster work on the ceiling. It was in rough shape in 1976, when the 50 year bonds expired and the building had mold, dirt, and animals living there. The ceiling was leaking in 1976 and the building had a dirty sludge on the lower two floors. Everyone who worked on it in 1976, converting it to a repair shop, was in the hospital due to the mold and sludge. A question many people ask: Why did cities like Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Winston-Salem locate their train stations outside the core of downtown? The answer: It was due to the dirty steam engines of that time and the smoke, which covered the clothes of people in downtown. About the restoration: This will be an historically accurate restoration. The yellow brick road, outside the train station, is in great shape. They have the original blueprints and several original fixtures and light shades to reproduce anything missing. Reconstructing the cast iron seems to be the biggest challenge. The original cast iron entrance and light fixtures are being reproduced. The Tennessee pink marble is no longer quarried and they must restore the remaining pieces. Sadly, the pink marble in the women's restroom is badly damaged and they may not be able to save it. Old phone booths will be renovated into three display cases for historical items found at the site and an original 1926 water fountain will be restored! The city's use of eminent domain does require 50% or more of the building be used for transportation. Interesting fact: This is the only train station in North Carolina with rails in all four directions. This station also had it's own dedicated sleeper trains, showing the city's historical importance. The city views this as a tourist attraction. A section at the back of the building, where passengers waited to board trains and crossed tracks to the platforms, will be transformed into a train viewing area, with memorabilia, comfortable seating, a place to watch train videos, a restaurant, and they will allow you to hear the train radios. The area where you would cross the tracks to access the platforms will be all glass, to make it a viewing area. The city has acquired a site for a possible park-and-ride deck and the 1947 parking area, with 115 spaces, will be restored for transit riders. This is expected to be a new introduction to the city's eastern side. WSSU's History Department is interested in working on this project, including student involvement. The development team is in conversations with tenants, including restaurants, for spaces in the building. Expect regional bus service and local bus service from routes that don't have to stop downtown. This will operate as a secondary bus hub. They want streetcars at Union Station for seamless transfers from future train service. One of the lines they are working to bring to Union Station is a train to Asheville. They also want commuter rail or light rail connecting Mocksville to downtown and are working to include Union Station on the high speed rail corridor. To bring Amtrack service back to Union Station they must have a ready-to-go train station. Completion is expected in June 2018 and it will be Amtrack ready. They are also looking into bringing a rail service shop to Union Station, to take advantage of the five rail lines, which could bring jobs to the project. This should bring a sizable increase in train traffic to Union Station. If you have interior photographs of the train station, from before the 1970s, contact Michelle Portman Walter at Walter Robbs Architects.

Credit: New Atlantic Contracting

Off-Subject:

Winston-Salem Light Project:

Credit: jhkerans17

Credit: mmtillett

Credit: chad_conger

Random Photographs:

Credit: taylorwalkermarketing

Credit: hieronymu.s

Credit: marianafaye_photography

Downtown independent film theatre:

Credit: the_traveling_canon

An interesting old rowhouse:

Credit: thatdunlopgirl

Credit: uniondotco

Credit: Bill Wells

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 4:04 AM

757 is a pleasant surprise!

I want a permanent UNCSA Light installation downtown.

When can we expect more tenant announcements for Bailey?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:22 PM

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 8:56 PM
Fourth and Main

We should have an update on leasing, at Bailey Power Plant, by the middle of next month. I'm guessing we may see more leases signed, at Bailey Power Plant, the closer the project moves toward completion? Likely around Summer?

I do wish UNCSA had year-long lighting displays in downtown. If not year-long, at least something that is in place from April to October? It would be a great advertisement for UNCSA. What if they worked with downtown developers and DWSP on some of the projects we see in this thread? Imagine if UNCSA would've designed the permanent lighting or permanent "art lighting" for Passageway Park?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
We should have an update on leasing, at Bailey Power Plant, by the middle of next month. I'm guessing we may see more leases signed, at Bailey Power Plant, the closer the project moves toward completion? Likely around Summer?

I do wish UNCSA had year-long lighting displays in downtown. If not year-long, at least something that is in place from April to October? It would be a great advertisement for UNCSA. What if they worked with downtown developers and DWSP on some of the projects we see in this thread? Imagine if UNCSA would've designed the permanent lighting or permanent "art lighting" for Passageway Park?
I have always wondered why UNCSA doesn't do a full time art lighting. I go look at the art projects every year and I love it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
The number of projects posted each week has grown dramatically in the past few weeks! I've recently dropped the small retail/restaurant openings, that aren't part of a larger project, from this thread. I also dropped the festival/event updates. And the update posts, each week, are still growing in size! The updates I've posted recently are among the largest posted on this thread. This is a very exciting time to follow Winston-Salem development! I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

BB&T Sports Park Expansion:
Twin City Sports Association has already raised nearly $4 million and is raising nearly $7 million in the first fundraising phase of a major expansion to BB&T Soccer Park. The expansion will add three new artificial turf fields, facilities for lacrosse, an adult sports social club, ultimate Frisbee, volleyball, and cross country. I'm not sure how many fundraising phases they will have? Construction will have four phases. This expansion will allow the complex to host larger events and more events. There is talk of Major League Soccer in some news articles on this project. I'm not sure how far into the future that would be? As part of the expansion and adding other sports fields, BB&T Soccer Park will be renamed BB&T Sports Park. Construction on the first phase will begin in Late Summer 2017. The second phase will enhance the stadium, with a press box, covered seats, and locker rooms to host larger events. Other phases will add a restaurant, coffee shop, workout and rehabilitation space, field house improvements, and additional restrooms.

Wise Man Brewing Expansion:

"Two shiny new 30BBL tanks!"

Credit: wisemanbeer

"Time to start a barrel program"

Credit: wisemanbeer

Residence Inn:

Nearing completion:

Credit: eddiemichaelheiner

1791 Tower Clock Restoration: Built!
This project is now completed and it looks amazing!

Credit: taylor

The O'Hanlon:

Credit: jhkerans17

607 North Trade Building:

Credit: blackadventures6

According to Yes! Weekly, the building's opening party will include food trucks, live music, body painting, a ribbon cutting (at 2 p.m., with the mayor), building tours, and interactive artists as part of the Concrete Canvas Mural Festival. They will also include other events in the opening party. Pick-up a copy of Yes! Weekly to learn more.

Credit: Yes! Weekly

Boardroom doors:

Credit: nico_malo1

How many boardrooms have doors like this:

Boardroom doors:

Credit: nico_malo1

Easter Creek Partners Headquarters:
An update on the headquarters for an LGBT-owned development company and space for Duke University.

Credit: summb003

1834 Nissen Wagon Works - Police District Two Office: Built!
This project had its official ribbon cutting on Thursday, last week. Yes, it is now completed. This adaptive reuse project converted an old horse-drawn wagon/carriage factory, with structures built between 1834 and 1974, to a district police station. 75 people will work in this police station.

Credit: Winston-Salem Police Department

Credit: cityofwinstonsalem

US News & World Report Underrated Vacation Destinations:
Winston-Salem made the US News & World Report top-10 list for underrated vacation destinations, due to its Downtown Arts District, restaurants, and National Landmark Districts.

Graylyn Hotel & International Conference Center: Built!
The third floor of this 4-star luxury hotel is now completed, as of last Friday. Make your reservations today!

Credit: Graylyn

Construction photograph from February:

500 West Fifth Street:
We have more details. The first floor will have a coffee shop and a restaurant space. The sixth floor will have a fitness center and a community gathering space. This will become a start-up hub. Flow wanted to combine capital, ideas, mentors, and the energy they create, to one downtown location where they can grow and expand. It will also have multi-tenant space for other companies interested in relocating from other cities to downtown Winston-Salem. Flow is currently in talks with four to five possible tenants, interested in relocating to downtown Winston-Salem, for multi-tenant office space in the building. Closing appears to be delayed until June 30, so completion won't happen until Fall 2017. Construction will begin on June 30. Flow would like to have their headquarters and the start-up hub completed as soon as possible.

Credit: cineschneider

Convention Center Renovation:
Can they complete this in 16 days?

An update from WSTB Forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDrip @ WSTB Forum
Rockwell Collins - New Jobs?:
Aerospace company Rockwell Collins talked about growing their Winston-Salem operations last week. Winston-Salem is among Rockwell Collins' largest employment centers. No details at this time. Rockwell Collins employs engineers, designers, and office workers in Winston-Salem, if you're interested in working there.

The new steel appears to have topped-out?

Sunday sunset:

Credit: drewpert

Credit: carmelrhall

You can see the topped-out steel in this photograph (right side):

Credit: bill_odoowod

Credit: gabewise1

Credit: emaceee

A construction worker provides a view from the roof:

Urban explorer photographs from a few weeks ago:

Credit: imlikenevernotsarcastic

View from The Coal Pit:

Closing the openings in the floor:

This is, by far, the slowest moving construction project in downtown.

Credit: dbll_photography

Credit: shreddyroosevelt

Hotel Indigo:
It appears as if the walls and asbestos tiles were removed and the trash was cleared-out? Do you remember the big piles of trash on the floors and in the elevator banks?

Interior demolition update:

Credit: kburn705

I'm guessing they will reuse these doors in the design of the boutique hotel?

With the asbestos tiles removed, we can finally see the original wood floors:

The light is reaching these floors once more. It's big and open without the walls and drop ceiling. The old luxury department store was big and open, similar to this, in 1928.

This floor was gutted, but the floor still has dust and paint chips on it: (Notice the original 1928 elevator doors leaning on the wall)

Robotics in Schools:
Salem Academy's all-girls high school robotics team will compete in the Tech Challenge World Championship in Houston this week. Winston-Salem-area tech companies are working to get more young people in city interested in robotics and engineering, including more young women.

Frogman Interactive Headquarters:
This is an adaptive reuse project for a creative company's Fourth Street headquarters.

Credit: frogmandiver

Conference Room:

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:

Installing a banner:

Credit: bookmarksnc

As reported last week, the section to the south of Third Street is now completed and open. It's still under construction between Third and Eighth streets.

Completed access ramp, south of Third Street:

Credit: mjrhodes

Off-Subject:

New 9th Street Brewery Mural:

Credit: aciaccia

Credit: willredding15

Credit: thatguydoub

Credit: jahblisz

Credit: jahblisz

Matt Colors? (...looks at self) Me? I guess my shirts are colorful?

Diversity Mural Restoration:
I remember seeing this mural when I was a kid. It's great to see it restored. It could be 20+ years old?

Random Photographs:

Credit: urbanmez

Credit: thatdunlopgirl

Credit: peytonclifford

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Sawtooth Center for Visual Arts:

Credit: meghan_parsons

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 5:52 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Credit: Susan Smith

757 North Apartments:

A dated update, with the apartment building on the bottom of the photograph:

Credit: santiagospacheco

As discussed earlier, this project won't be completed next week. Completion was pushed-back to May 21. Furniture and fixtures will arrive in June and July.

One of the convention groups visited for a construction update, last week:

Credit: christmas4city

Novant Clemmons Medical Center - New Jobs:
This hospital is adding 100 new full-time jobs right now! They are jobs in emergency and operating rooms, emergency room administration, post-anesthesia care unit, and clinical nursing. If you're looking for a medical job, contact Novant Health.

500 West Fifth Street:

The new owners inspect the current condition of the interior:

Credit: oxenfree_

Long Creek Park:
The City of Winston-Salem is working with The Conservation Fund to acquire a 164 acre tract of land for a new park. The Conservation Fund will seek grants and transfer the land to the city at no cost. The City will hire a consultant to help plan the park.

Lost History:
The vintage neon Kopper Kitchen sign was replaced with an ad for the brewery in the building. It is sad to lose this piece of Winston-Salem history. I thought the building owner agreed to leave the old neon sign as it was? Does anyone know if it was the last decades-old neon sign remaining?

Original vintage neon sign:

Credit: Winston-Salem Time Traveler

New replacement sign:

Credit: rosiehairninja

1794 Boy's School Restoration:

Credit: OldSalemInc

Welden Village:
Arden Group is planning a "traditional" neighborhood development, centered around short walks. It will be an integrated walkable community with well-connected streets where residents can make short walks to parks, open spaces, civic amenities, and retail. The village will have features such as front porches and wide sidewalks to encourage interaction. Expect to see 200 town homes and 500 apartment units, with a 30 acre commercial village. 30 percent of the 385 acres will be open space and will include include 12 miles of bike & walking trails. Welden Park Apartments, a 306-unit complex adjacent to the village center, will be the next building in the development, breaking ground in Summer 2017. The General Contractor for the apartment building will be Parr Construction.

Credit: Arden Group

Credit: t_sparks97

Credit: foreveristomorrow

You know you want more of what the Whiting-Turner truck is serving at Food Truck Fridays:

Credit: jamie_oswald

Credit: joseph.hamby

Central on 5th:

The glass wall is now completed:

Credit: anndavisrowe

Credit: libbyskinner

Credit: lit_4_lifee

Shah Basketball Complex:
This project is now under construction and will appear on our first page construction list. Completion is scheduled for Fall 2018.

Credit: wfudeaconclub

It appears as if GEMCAP will renovate the ground floor and the renovation looks nice! We can also see where the "TWIN CITY" letters will be installed, on the corner column. STITCH Design Shop is the architect for the retail space renovation. The ground floor renovation is something I've wanted to see since the project was announced! If you would like to rent one of the three retail/restaurant spaces, call (336) 724-1715.

Credit: Linville | Team

Credit: leonardrydenburrrealestate

The coffee shop in the bookstore will be called Foothills Café.

They found issues with the roof that need to be addressed:

Credit: glennfulk

Did you know: Wise Man Brewing has Winston-Salem's very own UpDog Kombucha on tap. They currently have plans to provide a wall space for local artists. Harvey Williams said “We want to join the downtown arts scene because we’re right on the edge of it, so we’re a perfect place for local artists to showcase their work.” It's more than just a bar. Olivia Blute said “My friends went last weekend and sat outside and played games while they had their beers. It seemed different - not like every other bar. It has games and activities you can do, so it isn’t just about drinking.” This place appears to be packed every day! They are doing everything right. They recently installed two new fermenters and are increasing weekly production to keep up with high demand.

Credit: camelcitynightlife

Kaleideum Science Museum:
Kaleideum now has a maker space for kids.

AFAS is already moving into the building. Completion is set for next week.

Our first look at the back side of this building (left side):

Credit: x1communications

Credit: amandagatesrealtor

Credit: paintmonsters

The view:

Gallery Lofts II:
The second phase of this project will have 50 apartments. A big increase from the originally proposed 35 units.

MINIM:
Did work start on this 11-storey downtown mixed-use project? Wow!

Demolition has started:

Credit: cgcmk3

Rendering of 11-storey MINIM condominium & office proposal:

Wake Forest University Soccer Renovations:
Wake Forest University Athletics has raised over $200 million. Very impressive!

Credit: wfudeaconclub

West End Station:
Demolition has started on this project. Demolition should take two months to complete and construction will begin as soon as possible (Late June 2017). Harold K. Jordan is the General Contractor. The 229 apartment unit project will have three elevators from the 121 car parking garage under the building. It will also have two elevated courtyards with gas grills, outdoor TVs, and lounge seating. Look for stainless steel appliances with French doors, bottom loading freezers, and quartz countertops in both the kitchen and bathrooms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamCityFan @ WSTB Forum
Hotel Indigo:

Credit: girardthatsfrench

Credit: glenn511365

Off-Subject:

Diversity Mural Restoration:
"La Luz de Diversidad" was painted in 1999 and is a design from Marianne DiNapoli-Mylet. Yes, it's 18 years old. It's great to see it restored!

Credit: winston_360

Random Photographs:

Credit: mesmerizer_records

The road is elevated above the sidewalk due to the Victorian streetcar system:

Credit: jphorton

Credit: fletchmoneygrip

Credit: keyyz__

This is on West 9th Street:

Credit: fletchmoneygrip

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:19 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you would like to see your project on this thread, just post photographs to social media.

Shah Basketball Complex:

Credit: WFU

Best Places to Start a Business:
Winston-Salem is ranked among the best cities in the nation to start a business, according to WalletHub. This is credited to Winston-Salem's affordability and growing innovation economy (Downtown's IQ District). Raleigh is 12th and Winston-Salem is 17th on the list, which looked at the top 150 cities in the nation. Winston-Salem is the highest ranking city in the Triad area on the list. The study said Winston-Salem is 3rd in the nation on the list of cities with the highest growth in the number of small businesses. Wow!

"Framing is complete for all of our interior and exterior walls. The plumbers and electricians have been hard at work roughing in all of our mechanical, electrical, and plumbing lines. In the taproom, our bar has been framed out and awaits its reclaimed wood bar top."

"Next on the schedule are drywall and exterior windows and doors. The exterior will have six glass garage doors, giving the space an open, airy feeling. The place is really starting to take shape. Stay tuned for updates as we push hard to open our doors to the public!"

A look at the bar:

Credit: johnsonap

West End Station:

Credit: underdogrecords

Credit: bethclark623

Credit: uncle.patches

The O'Hanlon:

Credit: _nishamary

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Quarry Park:

Credit: jessicaabney2

Where Millennials are Moving to:
Apartment List reported Winston-Salem is among the cities young Millennials are moving to. Winston-Salem is the only city in the Triad with an increase in the number of Millennials from 2005-2015.

Custom built desks made from reclaimed wood from downtown factories:

This office/retail/arts building will be completed this weekend! Yes, it is a car-free development, with no parking spaces. Be sure to attend their grand opening celebration this weekend and the Concrete Canvas Mural Festival!

Third floor office space rendering:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Credit: AFAS

Credit: teamcvawesome

Credit: 336urbanarts

Credit: 336urbanarts

Custom studio tables:

Conference table for STITCH Design Shop:

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

Both Sunnyside and Viator worked on the conference table:

Sunnyside Millwork made these connectable rolling break-room tables:

"This 1300 pound desk left the shop and is now home in the Red Dog Gallery inside the beautiful new Art for Arts Sake Building"

Artwork at Red Dog Gallery in the AFAS Center for the Arts:

The view:

Credit: teamcvawesome

MINIM:

Salem Lake Marina:

Credit: cityofwinstonsalem

The architect, Glenn Fulk, said "Bookmarks Bookstore progress - wall framing going up. You can still see the remnants of the torrential rains but there's progress."

Before wall framing:

After wall framing:

Construction tour for Indie Bookstore Day:

Credit: theliamcs

Off-Subject:

This is an awesome "free" event, held every year in the Spring, with local dancers and dancers from Mexico City to Toronto and NYC to Los Angeles, performing around downtown Winston-Salem. They also have events on rooftops each year. I think this year they will perform on the roof of the Wherehouse Art Hotel. I had to tell you about it!

Credit: HSDanse

Random Photographs:

Credit: wellswt_

Credit: trak3000

Credit: rowdyscarlett

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:16 AM
Fourth and Main

So, you're returning home from Sunday's electronic music fest on Third Street and thinking... Is it Tuesday morning already?

No, I just noticed this project has a massive number of photographs and thought it should be posted individually. I also like to space these posts by 1-3 days.

I want to thank the photographers for their generosity. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen. If you have photographs of construction projects and love this thread, please share with us.

AFAS Center for the Arts: Built!
This is an awesome building! I will miss not posting on it every week. It was fun watching it take shape. Did you know: This building doesn't have any parking! It is an office/gallery/retail/art studio building (mixed-use). It should be exciting to see what AFAS Group's next project will be! AFAS + STITCH Design Shop is a great combination. Liberty Street is seeing a large amount of investment right now. This is a very exciting time for Liberty Street!

Third floor office space (leased by STITCH Design Shop):

First floor - Red Dog Gallery:

The walls:

Credit: dennis_wells_art

Ribbon cutting:

Credit: Matthew Lankford

Credit: mattlankford1

Third floor office space:

Credit: shootyourpassion

Third floor office space:

Credit: vieuxplace

Credit: triadmaya

Tenants in this building have said they don't need lights, since sun light enters the building through the walls... amazing!

The interior walls:

Credit: hetedder

Winston-Salem's own Viator Design & Construction making the awesome back-lit LED sign:

Finished back-lit LED sign:

Credit: shootyourpassion

Credit: byegypsy

Credit: byegypsy

Credit: ricardocordew

2017 Concrete Canvas Mural Festival @ AFAS Center for the Arts:

Credit: girardthatsfrench

Thank you to everyone involved in this project! This is a great addition to downtown. This should make 601-617 North Liberty Street a very valuable site for apartment or office developers. I've heard there are already offers?

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 5:37 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

This is such an exciting time to follow Winston-Salem development. One project is completed and several more are proposed or ready to move forward!

Video Link

640 West Fourth Hotel:
This project is now in design (as of April 19) and appearing on bid sites. It will cost more than twice as much as the hotel on Cherry Street. It should be close to an official announcement, soon.

Credit: volgirl24

"We have lights!! Grand Opening is two months from today - July 8!"

Hotel Indigo:
"Exciting progress! The chasers are in, bathrooms marked out and fingers crossed we'll be able to reuse all of the original 1928 wood flooring that we had to rip up!"

Credit: cherrypips_

Construction update for two buildings being reconstructed behind the original school building, as part of the restoration project.

Credit: Old Salem

Wherehouse Art Hotel Expansion:
This hotel now has an awesome performance space.

Keep Winston-Salem Weird:

Credit: _wherehouse_art_hotel_

Credit: jb0b0

500 West Fifth Street:
Not really much to see at this time.

Credit: jsilkstonephotos

Credit: strike_with_chaos

Credit: abetothek

Reynolds Athletic Complex:
This is just my opinion, but I don't really care for the windows. The entrance looks as if it could be very impressive? Workers recently installed the roof and this project will open in three months.

Credit: Betsy Chapman

Tech Company Headquarters Doubles in Size - New Jobs:
Global tech company Sunrise Technologies announced it's moving to the 525@Vine Building in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The company will double in size with the move. Construction should be completed by early-July. If you're looking for a job... Yes, they are hiring!

Credit: WFIQ

Central on 5th:

On the left:

Credit: spaceonaught_alice

Credit: libbyskinner

DCCC Health Sciences Building:
The Golden Leaf Foundation awarded a $500,000 grant to the DCCC for Technology & Equipment.

Rock Box Bouldering:
This is an exciting new adaptive-reuse project that will convert an old vacant industrial building into a rock climbing center. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Future rock climbing center:

Credit: rockboxbouldering

Six Colleges/Universities Provide Startup Funding:
Six colleges and universities in Winston-Salem are partnering to support entrepreneurship in the city through grants to startups created by students or alumni. David Mounts said “This collaboration sends a very clear message that if you are a student or alumni of a Winston-Salem college or university and you have a great idea, you will be supported here, through your school, this grant program, Downtown's Innovation Quarter (IQ District), Venture Cafe, the Winston-Salem Alliance... Winston-Salem has come together to support innovations." The businesses must be located in Winston-Salem or relocate to Winston-Salem to receive the funding.

Credit: WSSU

Credit: foosye

With this building nearing completion in five months, we are learning of a possible new tenant. Salem College is considering opening a Center for Women & Innovation in this building. Salem College currently needs a sponsor to make this happen. The center will support women and help them identify with being creators, innovators and entrepreneurs. Salem College said they want to be part of inclusive innovation and entrepreneurship in Winston-Salem and take part in what is happening in downtown's IQ District. They will locate next to Venture Cafe, to take advantage of their programing. If you would like to be a financial sponsor for this, please contact Salem College.

Credit: wfustyle

Do I see wall framing inside?

Do I see PVC/plumbing?

Constructing the roof and preparing for cladding:

Keep Winston-Salem weird:

Credit: camposlopez

A rainy morning:

Credit: TBJ

They are moving-in. This project is almost finished. Thank you to Frogman Interactive for sharing the construction with us.

This will be preserved in the office:

Stevens Center Apartments:
Work appears to be starting on this project. I'll add it to our construction list. The person who shared these photographs with me doesn't want to be credited, so I'll credit them to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSTB Forum

MINIM:
A wall collapsed at the demolition site on Tuesday afternoon (last week). One person was trapped for 25 minutes and was seriously injured. The fire department said "The WSFD rescued one patient from the structural collapse. The patient has been transported to the hospital." Twin City Slice Pizza, building next to the demolition site, said this on their facebook page "Lots of news about the building next to Slice! where a wall collapsed today. All Slice employees are safe and sound and so is our building. Our thoughts are with the workers whom we have gotten to know over the last few weeks as they have torn down the building next to us. They have become our friends. Reports are the one worker taken to the hospital is going to be OK. Thank you for all the messages, calls and texts about our well being!"

Credit: cityofwsfire

New Winston Museum:
They have started moving into the former Journal Building, but they are now questioning if they want to permanently move into the Journal Building space or move into space at Union Station, when that project is completed.

Hammerhead shared several updates on this project. Beautiful work!

Credit: hammerhead_built

Blue Ridge Music Center "1930s/1940s Swing Americana" concert, Sunday, in Winston Square Park:

Credit: Keith Hall Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSTB Forum

Fuel Cell Research:
Michael Gross won a prize from the National Science Foundation's Directorate for Engineering. It is a five year prize to fund research into the preservation of nanomaterials at high temperatures for more efficient and higher-powered fuel cell technologies. This research will also help to make fuel cells cheaper. He is moving to a larger research lab in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, across from Bailey Park.

Greg Waddell said "We are seeing a rise in people biking from their neighborhoods to downtown to work." Matthew Burczyk, city transportation project planner, said he believes this new trail will make biking or walking to downtown a lot easier. "People can go on a long run or bike without having to be on the streets."

An aerial view:

Credit: Zane

Passageway Park:
osgoodla.inc said "New milled steel edges framing future stormwater ecology." "Week 6 progress site meeting. Getting close to completion of Phase 1."

Off-Subject:

The Winston-Salem Cycling Classic is just a couple weeks away. It's the top cycling event in North America. These are some of the trophies.

Credit: winstonsalemcycling

Random Photographs:

The Snowbirds, of the Royal Canadian Air Force, visit Winston-Salem:

Credit: keecks

Credit: oh_yes_curlfriend

Credit: sarcasm_4_free

Credit: lorie.jo

Credit: kamnewest

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 5:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

It appears as if they are now working on the restaurant on the far northeast corner. With the crane now on Patterson Avenue, I'm guessing it will be taken apart and moved, soon?

Credit: humpy3rd

757 North Apartments:

These apartments have a nice view:

Credit: 757 North

It appears as if four floors are completed, from this view? They will construct five more floors, with the completed building rising nine floors above the bike and walking path.

Credit: bioshacker

Our first look at the inside. The building will have two restaurant spaces.

Credit: MissOrasKitchen

Credit: MissOrasKitchen

Quarry Park:

Credit: breannafilson

Credit: breannafilson

Plaza Building & Galleria:

Workers have completed the skybridge:

Credit: CareersAtRAI

And just in time, too! I think the city may have banned skybridges or is in the process of doing so? They reduce pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks. Yes, I think I read somewhere that is their reason for banning them?

West End Station:
The demolition for this new apartment development has exposed the back side of a building that was once Colonial Revival rowhouses. It was converted from rowhouses to ugly modernist retail spaces several years ago. Someone also added stairs to separate the upstairs from the downstairs. You can tell from the back that it was once rowhouses, since all rowhouse structures in the city look similar to this on their back sides. This block has another rowhouse structure next to this building, too. That building is restored, though.

Back side of 100+ year old rowhouses converted to retail spaces several years ago:

Credit: clarkwork

Mixxer Makerspace:
We finally have a rendering for this project, which is slow moving. It appears as if they selected the Arts District (DADA) site.

Credit: Mixxer

MINIM:

Credit: film_brilliant

901 North Trade Building:
I was told this project could become a massive arts center. Possibly offering affordable studio space for artists? Still waiting for more details on this project.

An update on the headquarters for an LGBT-owned development company and space for Duke University.

View from the hotel across the street:

San Francisco World Spirits Competition:
Downtown Winston-Salem's own Sutler's Spirit Co., won gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition!

OpenTable's “2017 100 Best Brunch Restaurants”:
The Bistro at Childress Vineyards is on OpenTable's “2017 100 Best Brunch Restaurants in America” list. Very impressive. Only seven restaurants in the Carolinas made the list.

Forsyth County Courthouse:
The cost of all options continue to increase while we wait and wait and wait and wait for commissioners to do something. A new three building proposal includes an office building, a parking deck for county court office building employees, and a courthouse building with underground parking under the building. Yes, a three structure proposal filling three sites in downtown's Government District. The courthouse in this proposal will be designed to add more floors in the future.

Credit: sydsmimi

"Future entrance to Bookmarks' new headquarters/bookstore on 4th Street."

The architect said they will restore these original windows:

This is the cafe space in the bookstore:

Vintage sign in the breezeway:

Credit: cgcmk3

Merschel / Civic Plaza Park:
Someone at WSTB told me MLA Design Group was "doing some survey work" last week.

Hotel Indigo:
The City of Winston-Salem is working with the developer to document the conversion of this building into a hotel.

Credit: bestofwinstonsalem

Credit: 4nnieo

Hotel Lobby:

Credit: cityofws

You can see the original nailing strips to attach the 1920s Zenitherm marble panels:

Original menu and receipts from the Sir Winston Restaurant:

The sub-basement, where the 1920s luxury department store stored merchandise:

Wow, think of what may have been on these shelves in the 1920s and 30s!

Using a drone to explore the former Art Deco department store's old merchandise storage shelves:

Are we sure they aren't ghost hunting (above) with that equipment...

These are the original 1928 glass globes from the "schoolhouse" pendant lights:

The developer will reuse these globes, in the original light fixtures, in the hotel lobby:

Original 1928 electrical boxes and wiring:

Do you think about the original construction workers from 1928, when looking at photographs like this?

As you can see below (and in last week's update), they are cutting-out where the walls and bathrooms in the hotel rooms will be located.

Original 1928 hardwood floors from the old luxury department store:

The new color-changing LED bridge over Third Street, Fogle Street, and the Bath Waterway:

Credit: reid_camelcity

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
If you want to attend this, you have to be there at 8:30 this morning! It looks like fun. I wish it was later in the evening, so more people could attend.

Credit: Creative Corridors

Off-Subject:

Strada Architects shared "before & after" photographs of the 1929 Kimpton Cardinal Hotel.

Credit: Strada Architects

Sadly, the Art Deco Caravan Room Restaurant doesn't look anything like it once did:

Random Photographs:

Yes, this is in the city limits (Winston Lake):

Credit: through_eddies_lens

Longest continuously operating hotel in Winston-Salem (open since 1844):

Credit: ruedesballons_bergamot

Credit: gearsandguitarsws

A foggy morning, as seen from the 30-storey Winston Tower skyscraper:

Credit: ashleydiane85

Credit: swimwtfishes

Credit: graciehearts273

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 5:45 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

On a rainy night or morning, why not listen to jazz and look at what is happening in downtown Winston-Salem.

Video Link

Credit: mazenapuksto

Credit: linvilleteam

The O'Hanlon:
Some of the floors are now shown as "for lease" through Linville Team. If you would like to lease office space in this building, call: (336) 724-1715.

Window signs for the architect, developer, and general contractor:

Credit: colormeblue12

Salem Lake Marina:

Our first look inside - HVAC installation:

Credit: penlandheating

Hotel Indigo:

Wow! This is a massive apartment building:

Credit: algenoncash

Construction Stats:
According to RealData, apartments in Winston-Salem cost significantly more than anywhere else in the Triad area. The city has said there was $614 million in construction last year, in hotels, residential, office, and retail/entertainment. This year, we are still waiting for several big downtown projects to submit plans and pull permits.

Plaza Building & Galleria:

A look at the bridge from the outside:

Credit: ambassadorofsmiles

Credit: ambassadorofsmiles

500 West Fifth Street:
Steven Lineberger will lead Winston Starts. He was previously the Academic Leader of Wake Forest University's Summer Business and Entrepreneurship Institute. Winston Starts will provide education, office space, and access to professional services to startup companies interested in moving to Winston-Salem or startup companies created by students and alumni of Winston-Salem colleges and universities.

A look at the narrow windows on the sides of the building. The receptacle (electrical outlet) shows how narrow they are. Each floor has 4 of these narrow windows on each side:

Credit: jsilkstonephotos

HealthSouth Winston-Salem Hospital:
The rendering is a big 1-storey building. Not that exciting. We will follow construction, if I can find any photographs of it. Construction begins in Fall 2017 and it will be completed in Fall 2018. This is expected to create hundreds of healthcare jobs.

Credit: HealthSouth

Wexford Sciece + Technology, the developer for the Bailey Power Plant project, completed structural work and raised a flag to celebrate. They also celebrated reaching 1 million square feet of space owned by Wexford Science + Technology in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. I think the IQ District has around 3 million total square feet, so Wexford owns a third of the development and they are proposing more than 2.5 million square feet of new buildings. Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2 was also certified LEED Platinum on Thursday.

"Shock & awe. What I think every time I see this (Winston-Salem's downtown IQ District) community." Whiting-Turner's Chris Carlson at the @WexfordSciTech 1 million SF celebration!

Credit: Fox 8

I'm guessing this is for cladding attachment?

Flag raised on Thursday afternoon to celebrate structural completion:

Credit: tvaden

Notice the angled skywalk between Building 23-2 and Building 23-1 is now clad in metal:

Credit: forsythtechatinnovationquarter

The large flag was taken down on Friday morning.

LEED Platinum Certification for Bailey Power Plant's Building 23-2:

Credit: dneves22

Work on the original skylights and the view from the roof:

Credit: psyclehead

Notice the angled skywalk between Building 23-2 and Building 23-1 is now clad in metal:

Credit: neiljohnson85

Credit: g_a_r_e_b_e_a_r

Forbes Magazine’s Small Giants 2017:
Downtown Winston-Salem's OnceLogix was featured in Forbes Magazine’s Small Giants 2017: America’s Best Small Companies. The software company is known for ShareNote. Small Giants highlights 25 privately owned businesses each year.

Thank you to Fox 8! They do have a video you can watch on downtown.

Staybridge Suites Hotel & Office Building:
This project was described as one of the first modular-stack hotel construction projects in the United States. So, this should be constructed quickly, with a crane lifting the finished hotel rooms into place. With modular construction, the units are usually made in a nearby factory and sent to the site on trucks to be lifted into place by a large crane.

"Preview of the "cloud" for Easter Creek's new office."

Credit: summb003

Mixxer Makerspace:
The building, across from the Arts Based School, will have workshops and tools for woodworking, metalworking, 3D printing, digital projects, and more. Expect to see different membership levels, depending on how you use the space. Mixxer expects to sign a lease in a few months and will open in Fall 2017.

Credit: Hub - WFIQ

Architect Christopher Placco, of Monterey, Calif., was hired to work on this project and others in Winston-Salem. He has experience in adaptive reuse, while working as executive vice president at RGB Architects. He is moving to Winston-Salem.

Credit: mshellsmith

"It won't be much longer until we can install our brewing equipment and get down to business!"

Credit: ssargent1978

You can see both the future Light Rail (LRT) line and the bike & walking path:

Credit: ALovelyLula

Pavement really surprised me. I expected other materials, but I guess this rides better on your bike? It rides better, but it doesn't last as long as concrete, if I'm not mistaken?

They are paving the section around Sixth Street:

Credit: jeremythorne

Future Light Rail (LRT) line:

Credit: ALovelyLula

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
Do you like Union Station and the restoration project? Camel City Goods has a new Union Station T-shirt you may like. You can buy them at 1004 Brookstown Avenue in downtown Winston-Salem's Village District. "It's the only train station in NC with rails that run in all 4 directions!"

Credit: camelcitygoods

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
The event from last week had great attendance... though it was at 8:30 in the morning, on a weekday.

This is where the land bridge will meet Corpening Plaza Watergardens & Park:

Credit: twincityhive

Bike Share:
The bicycles and docking stations arrived on Friday! Workers staged them for installation on Friday and have already started installing the docking stations around downtown. This project is now ready for our first page construction list!

Credit: officialbeersngears

You can also see MINIM's construction site with no workers on a Sunday morning:

Credit: twincityhive

Docking station on a cloudy, foggy, and rainy Monday:

Off-Subject:

A nice photograph of 635 Vine Street in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District:

bdcnetwork.com

Downtown Winston-Salem has the nation's fastest growing innovation district. Downtown's IQ District is appearing almost monthly in several national and international publications.

Winston-Salem Cycling Classic:
Many of the best cyclists from around the world are arriving in the city, this week, for the nation's top sport cycling events. Are you ready for this weekend!

Random Photographs:

Preservation North Carolina Office: A restored 1930 Art Deco Shell Gas Station (it's an historic site and doesn't have gas):

Credit: katherine.booth

Credit: wellswt_

Credit: deaneyweaney

A poet for hire on Fourth Street in downtown... with two typewriters:

Yes, this is an urban farm store with honey on tap:

Credit: colonyurbanfarm

It's an Art Moderne building called Colony and has different honey on tap each week.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:54 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Memorial Day weekend in Winston-Salem is a massive celebration of all things cycling. The city becomes a destination for cycling fans and music fans. I will post additional photographs to share some of the activities that take over this city every Memorial Day weekend.

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
640 West Fourth Street Hotel is now known as Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown. Clarendon Properties will be the developer. Thank you to cublover at WSTB Forum for finding a rendering and more details on the project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cublover @ WSTB Forum
500 West Fifth Street:
Winston Starts will take applications in July, if you're interested.

Credit: and_shg

Corpening Plaza Renovation: Built!
This project is finally completed. Be sure to visit for the summer concerts and festivals and enjoy the renovated watergarden and park!

Credit: davidbeesknees

Salem Lake Marina:

Almost completed!

Credit: houck_medford

Pointing directly at it:

Credit: the_great_granola

They haven't started work on the storefronts, but should start soon:

Credit: Unknown

MINIM:
I see a new piece of equipment at the site. The sidewalk is still closed for construction/demolition.

The new bike share is very popular (only 2 bikes available):

Credit: Kings Crab Shack

Workers installed new windows, framed interior walls, started work on the wall of glass on the north facade, poured the lobby floor, continued installing blue foam-board insulation, worked on cladding the skylights... so much excitement!

Workers are enclosing the space with blue foam-board insulation and have installed new windows on the top floor:

Credit: chandlerconcretecompany

They brought back the structural completion flag for Memorial Day... Awesome!

Credit: ahikerlooksat40

Credit: blakeledbetter1

Credit: laneboyers

Beer time:

Credit: stjulien

View from Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: ryanhelf

Credit: alexandervannoy

In this photograph, you can see the window wall being installed on the north facade:

Credit: thebikedoc84

You can see the new windows installed on the expansion:

Credit: amyroarkhopkins

A good look inside:

Skylights:

Credit: carogaudet4

I love the massive flag:

Credit: amanda_allie

Downtown Winston-Salem has concerts all weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday) during the Memorial Day weekend.

Credit: joeparrish

Bailey Power Plant & Link Apartments Innovation Quarter construction sites:

Credit: fourthandtrade

Yes, this is the big construction site with the grading equipment across the street from the power plant. It will become a 344 unit apartment building with retail spaces. It appears as if the tall piles of dirt and rocks, seen in eariler photographs, are now 90% removed from the site? Could we see a crane on the site before the end of June?

Tall red construction fence, blocking the sidewalk:

Credit: cabell4054

Construction site at night:

Credit: lchapman49

Aerial view:

Credit: fourthandtrade

Construction closeup:

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center: (National Cycling Center)
Yes, this is the same National Cycling Center from the bike share project. Construction at the cycling center has slowed-down, due to required cleaning of the tin ceiling tiles and seeking tax credits for the adaptive-reuse project. Construction will begin on the interior in a few weeks. The next part of the project, to move forward, will be HVAC. Richard Rauck said this will be a creative, forward-thinking center that attracts amateur cyclists from across the country and professional cyclists from around the nation and the world. USA Cycling's Kevin Loughery said this facility has an advantageous geographic location, near the mountains and the coast, with intermediary elevations. “This site would serve cyclists in road, as well as other disciplines, such as mountain biking and cyclocross."

The O'Hanlon:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Best Cities for Young IT Professionals:
Winston-Salem was ranked the 3rd best city for young professionals in the IT industry by Verizon's Right Click newsletter. They noted Winston-Salem's business and arts scene. “Today, it (Winston-Salem) offers IT professionals an exciting place to live, high comparative salary, and affordable living.”

Credit: vincerabil

Wherehouse Art Hotel Expansion:

Work is now starting on this room, which is a rough blank canvas:

Yes, art is made in this hotel:

National Geographic - Best Places for BBQ:
Lexington Barbecue and The Barbecue Center are ranked among the best places in America for barbecue by National Geographic.

Hotel Indigo:
It appears as if another developer is trying to buy this building from the current developer... again! Everyone seems to love this Art Deco building. If you're a developer and want to work on a project in downtown Winston-Salem, please select a building that isn't being renovated to purchase for your project.

Credit: kenaethegreat

Bike Share: Built!
USA Cycling's National Cycling Center in downtown Winston-Salem and Cambridge-based Zagster have completed the first phase of a bike share in downtown Winston-Salem. It's officially called United States National Cycling Center Bike Share. Yes, you can ride it right now! It's open for use 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and cost $30 for an annual membership. Locations include Downtown, Salem Lake, and the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. The bikes in Winston-Salem will have gears for the city's hilly terrain and a built-in lock that gives users the ability to ride as long and wherever they want. The bike share is privately owned and maintained by the National Cycling Center.

Sign-up for a membership: https://bike.zagster.com/winstonsalem

"It’s incredibly exciting to see the support for bike share among some of Winston-Salem’s most notable businesses and institutions, bringing another transportation option to the community and moving the City towards its goal of getting more people on bikes," said Matthew Burczyk, AICP bicycle and pedestrian coordinator for the City of Winston-Salem.

This project could return to our construction list when they begin their second phase.

Credit: mmerrittl

This photograph was taken after midnight (Winston Tower's lights are off) and bikes are already in use:

Credit: kadoef

Credit: turnepf

Off-Subject:

Gears & Guitars Cycling Music Festival:
No place does National Bike Month like downtown Winston-Salem. The city's open streets festival, the nation's top sport cycling events, and a massive four or five day music festival. It's not uncommon to have a band on stage with cyclists riding past at high speed.

Alternative rock band Tonic, performing in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District:

Credit: kaseypercussion

Alternative rock band Collective Soul in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District:

Credit: cmcox72885

I think this is Edwin McCain opening for Bare Naked Ladies:

Credit: rockngloss

Credit: roblandwehrmann

Winston-Salem Cycling Classic:

Credit: dnak4

Credit: blackhorsestudio

Credit: teamhincapie

Credit: starlat

Credit: sandy_shep

Credit: cover_the_move

Random Photographs:

Credit: mchews

Credit: rlroikola

Credit: llcoolmabe

Credit: roblandwehrmann

Credit: keecks

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 2:41 PM

I love seeing these parking lots being developed. The Link IQ is massive and will look great next to Bailey. I hope one day ReynoldsAmerican will do the same with their lots on Main St.

Glad to see another hotel proposed replacing a surface lot and suburban 1-story building!

https://www.instagram.com/airwheelcoffee/?hl=en
I wonder if theyre opening at Bailey or Link or somewhere else?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2017, 2:45 AM
Fourth and Main

I apologize for the late reply.

It's interesting to see a post on Airwheel. It was actually in Tuesday morning's update post for this week, but due to the large number of photographs in the post and how slow the thread is loading, it was among the things I removed from the post. The Tuesday morning update posts are made throughout the week and are heavily edited on Tuesday morning. I could've cut-down this week's update even more and should've posted the cycling classic photographs on their own, to help reduce the number of photographs on this page and push the thread to the next page.

The deleted entry from Tuesday morning:

Airwheel's delievery bicycle (Airwheel is a downtown Winston-Salem company that air roasts coffee):

Credit: airwheelcoffee

From what I found, the bike is their office and they use the cargo bike to make deliveries in downtown only. They plan to expand cargo bike delivery into the surrounding neighborhoods, soon. The coffee beans are air roasted, so they float in the air (never touching anything) while they roast.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:02 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Lauren said my jazz and folk music is too depressing for this thread and suggested this song for today's update.

Video Link

I think I should cut the music from the thread, to speed-up page loading time. However, she insists adding music will improve the weekly updates. So, the music returns for this week's update.

500 West Fifth Street:
Construction could begin in a little over three weeks! I'm excited! Sadly, there isn't much to show, right now. I'm guessing it's still in design?

Credit: jonathonohtanoj

A first look at some of the artwork planned for the convention center:

Credit: twin_city_quarter

The artist's name, in the photograph above, is Lea Lackey-Zachmann.

Salem Lake Marina:
The photographer said "7 mile bike ride with beautiful scenery! The Salem Lake Marina is going to be nice once it's finished."

Yes, this beautiful lake and park are inside the city limits, a short bike ride from downtown:

Credit: mandamcc23

Staybridge Suites Hotel & Office Building:
According to posts on the WSTB Forum, the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel didn't like IHG allowing a Hotel Indigo and a Staybridge Suites at the Pepper Building site, across the square from the Kimpton Cardinal Hotel. Remember, last week, this thread reported on a possible buyer for all or part of this two hotel site. The Hotel Indigo flag is already granted to the developer and it's under-construction, but Kimpton was able to stop the Staybridge Suites flag from being granted to the developer. However, the developer is now looking into bringing a Hyatt Place hotel to the site, instead of Staybridge Suites. If they can secure the financing, the Hyatt Place Hotel flag is seen as very likely. Hyatt would like a hotel in downtown Winston-Salem. So, we may have to change the name of the Staybridge project to Hyatt Place? I'll wait for the official announcement, before making changes.

Hotel Indigo:
If you haven't done so already, please read the news on the Staybridge Suites project, above. Hotel Indigo and the Staybridge Suites project are connected.

winston_360 used an infrared filter to make this ghost ad visible:

Rooftop basketball?

Credit: davidbeesknees

I really want to see this building completed:

Credit: a_fletch97

Credit: a_fletch97

It appears as if they closed half of Cherry Street for construction?

Mixxer Makerspace:
We finally know the building and the plans for the space. It's the building to the north of the Arts Based School. It is directly across the street from the downtown art-centered elementary and middle schools.

Credit: Mixxer

First Baptist Church Restoration:
This tall church from 1925 could be restored, beginning in Summer 2018. It still requires a final approval. The congregation has declined from 2,000 members to just under 500 today and it continues to decline. They no longer need a building of this size. So, they will demolish nearly half of the building. The part of the structure to be demolished was constructed between 1954-1961 as expansions. The church can no longer afford the upkeep on a building at the current size, with their older and declining membership. The age of the building also requires more upkeep, which is very expensive. If the church decides to move forward with this plan, they would build a new 4,200 square foot multi-function space and an outdoor chapel where the 1954-1961 expansions are currently located. The plans being discussed also include a major renovation of the 1925 building.

The downside to all of this: The 1961 expansion is attractive. It will be sad to lose it, but I understand why they must do this. Another downside: They may continue to lose members and the building will be less valuable to an apartment developer, arts group, or someone interested in converting it to a massive domed concert venue. I would like to see the church sell the property and rent it from the developer/group that buys it. A developer could use tax credits and restore it as a concert hall and maybe retail or office? Maybe something arts related in the 1954-1961 buildings? If they decide to sell, they should market this building as a concert venue or performing arts center. I've also seen these buildings converted to breweries. It would make an awesome apartment building. Even more interesting than the Courthouse converted to apartments. It could also become part of the convention center or maybe a separate convention/meeting space?

Credit: pulsefbcws

This church was constructed when Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest city and the state's richest city. It was one of the city's "show projects" from that time. It's a very unique interior design I haven't seen before. Even the chandelier is a unique design I haven't seen in a church before. The next time I visit Winston-Salem, I would love to take photographs of some of these amazing church buildings.

Credit: JD Clark

This building has an amazing interior:

Credit: pulsefbcws

This is from the last renovation, around 2007:

Credit: First on Fifth

They painted-over the mural.

4 a.m., on a Thursday:

Credit: violet_t_529

They should be close to starting work on the stair/elevator cores and precast structure?

Credit: mywinstonsalem

Credit: Filip Kricka

Downtown Winston-Salem Law Firm Grows Larger:
WCSR is buying a London-based law firm. WCSR will become a top-80 law firm in the United States after the merger and have around half-a-billion-dollars in annual revenue. WCSR is headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem's One West Fourth skyscraper, as the building's anchor tenant.

Central on 5th:
Frank L. Blum Construction shared a great update and said "One thing is clear: This is not your grandfather's (or your father's) public library! It will be a community gathering place for settling down with a cup of coffee and a laptop computer, attending events and programs in an auditorium, catching up on happenings on the interactive feature wall, AND -- of course -- checking out books!"

This project looks better than I thought it would! I love the bright colors and the LIBRARY sign does light-up at night! Blum Construction did an amazing job with this project! It's flawless construction. Easily, my favorite GC.

Workers are installing glass on the north facade's window wall and are preparing to clad the structure. Could we see a few pieces of cladding installed on the expansion before the end of this month?

Credit: matthines_

Credit: luvthearts

Credit: trak3000

Credit: wfuniversity

See the construction through the windows on the right:

Credit: bbalanced.bwell.byou

Credit: dertyconejo

A great look at the bridge connecting Building 23-1 and Building 23-2:

Credit: cliffordkoufman

Credit: skylerbrownphoto

It's my favorite construction project, too!

Credit: wf_sip

"New exterior walls are up, plumbing and electrical work is wrapping up, and painting is underway. Our bar top, constructed with 105 year old heart pine reclaimed from a historic Trade Street building, has been built and awaits installation. Brewing and bar equipment are beginning to show up at the site. It’s a long process with a lot of moving pieces, but there is light (and beer) at the end of the tunnel!"

Boiler installation:

As I've said before, it's still under construction and people are already using it. It's the back entrance to several residential, office, and school buildings. This should be really popular when it's completed. They are saying it will be completed sometime this Summer?

Credit: baywillums

Zagster Bike Share - Phase II:
And it's back on our construction list! According to City Beat, the next phase will expand the bike share to surrounding neighborhoods and colleges. Matthew Burczyk said during Phase 2 of the project he anticipates more stations will be added to serve a larger geographic footprint. This will allow more bike commuting. And yes, everyone is talking about how popular it is. It's common to see nearly all of the bikes checked-out at the downtown stations.

Credit: krankiescafe

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

The hashtag #hipsterparadise was added to this image:

Credit: justin.hazzard

Credit: irawaywalker

If you live downtown, be sure to visit Cobblestone Farmers Market:

Credit: fair_share_farm

This is across the street from Bailey Power Plant / Bailey Park and they have Sunday dance music parties:

Credit: mesmerizer_records

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:52 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

The theme song for the leading construction project in this week's update...

Video Link

Hotel Indigo:
According to The Possum, at the WSTB Forum, they found contamination in the sub-basement. This will require acceptance in the brownfields program, but it should provide tax credits to the developer for the renovation. walker, at the WSTB Forum, said another developer will likely take over this project. So, this project will likely stop work, soon, for several months. smain, at the WSTB Forum, said they had a dump truck at the site yesterday and there was evidence of workers at the site.

500 West Fifth Street:
Two weeks until construction starts! They filed paper work, recently, ahead of the sale.

Credit: sobieit

An awesome photograph of 500 West Fifth Street from the Northwest Industrial District:

Credit: passion2moody

A smaller view with just the buildings (500 West Fifth Street is on the far right):

Credit: passion2moody

Gallery Lofts II:
TwinCity, at the WSTB Forum, provided an update on this project. They now have the zoning and we have more details. This project will have 42 studio apartments, a saltwater pool, grilling area, parking under the building, and it will break ground in 2018. In the first proposal, the developer didn't want any parking in his development, but complaints by a school over street-side parking led to the developer agreeing to add a small amount of parking under the proposed building. The zoning the developer was granted is for residential buildings without parking. Residents in downtown's IQ District are starting to complain about the large number of closed streets and sidewalks for downtown construction projects. The developer has agreed to avoid long-term streets closures. I don't know if that applies to sidewalks or not?

We haven't seen any updates on this project in a long time! I haven't seen an update on the actual restoration of the 1794 building in months. I do occasionally find an update on the two small buildings being reconstructed behind the building, though. And that is what we have this week. Old Salem Inc., said "Progress on the Boys' School Piazza construction. When completed, this will provide additional experiential learning space for our visitors."

Reconstruction of the Piazza behind the original 1794 brick school building:

It almost looks the same as it did a few weeks ago.

Link Apartments Downtown:

The days are numbered (demolition) for the 1951 windowless box known as the Security Life & Trust Building:

Credit: swoorm

This project will be completed in three weeks. Architect Glenn Fulk did a great job with this project!

Concrete Pour:

HVAC / Duct Work:

Testing colors:

The original steel windows look great:

MINIM:
The sidewalk is open again. I don't see any equipment on the site, currently? The pit is still fenced-off. Twin City Slice has this on their facebook page "As they tear the building down next to us (which is fun to watch) they have revealed several small tin signs on the side of Twin City Slice! They reference E.W. O'Hanlons Drug Store in Winston. (Winston-Salem combined in 1913)" That building was demolished, after a fire, in March 1913. It was replaced by The O'Hanlon skyscraper, built in 1915. Yes, The O'Hanlon is a current adaptive reuse project on our construction list.

This sign still has some of its original color:

Credit: twincityslice

Credit: twincityslice

Friday Morning View:

Credit: dellalawson

New Jobs:
A Turkish company has bought a building in Winston-Salem and is seeking city/county/state incentives to create nearly 400 new jobs and make a major investment in the building.

This appears to be from around May 15:

Credit: photos_by_caleb127

From Saturday:

Credit: itsmemaggz

Fortune 500:
Winston-Salem is second only to Charlotte in the Carolinas in Fortune 500 headquarters. There are three Fortune 500 headquarters in the Winston-Salem city limits and two are in skyscrapers in downtown Winston-Salem. Charlotte has five Fortune 500 headquarters in their city limits.

Winston-Salem Fortune 500 Headquarters:
223: Reynolds American - $12.5 billion (RAI Plaza Skyscraper)
245: BB&T - $11.5 billion (BB&T Financial Center Skyscraper)
432: Hanesbrands - $6.1 billion

When ranked by Market Capitalization, Reynolds American is the second largest headquarters in North Carolina, at $92 billion. Winston-Salem based Reynolds American and Winston-Salem based BB&T are the only Triad companies in North Carolina's top five by Market Capitalization list. Winston-Salem has a large number of major corporate headquarters.

757 North Apartments: Built!
The TBJ and a designer, working on the project, provided a nice update. 757 North Apartments will be officially completed on July 1, however, the developer held an open house and it seems to be unofficially completed as of last Thursday? I've decided to show it as completed in this update. The developer has already leased apartments in this building, including several leased to people who haven't seen a model or the building! They call these "site-unseen" leases. I'm amazed at how quickly apartment buildings are fully leased in downtown Winston-Salem. On social media, the interior designer (Onyx Interiors) said "Projects like these take over a year to complete, so you can only imagine how excited I was to finally see the vision come to fruition ❤️ more pics to follow of the cafe, fitness center and leasing offices!"

This room was completed on Wednesday:

Credit: onyx_interiors

Roll-up doors in the lobby:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Open House:

Credit: Innovation Quarter

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
I never thought we would see an update on this.

Credit: flysmithreynolds

Asphalt Milling:

Credit: flysmithreynolds

QS World University Rankings:
Wake Forest University was ranked among the best universities in the world.

They are preparing to begin construction on the entrance plaza restaurant space, on the far northeast corner of the site.

A great view of the glass installed on the north facade:

Credit: triadrepro

Large concrete pumper truck to pour a floor in the east wing:

Credit: x1communications

A rare look at the other side:

Credit: somethingshane

More of the other side:

Another view from the other side, showing the elevated railroad boardwalk:

Friday Evening - Glass installation on north facade and wrap on expansion:

Credit: hypetheengineer

View of crane from Bailey Park:

Credit: jimlarosee

Credit: oldpine58

A rare detailed look at the corner steel-work:

Credit: vivi.fonck

Signage is installed for the two restaurants:

Credit: carolina_signs

Credit: acreativemindpw

Salem Lake Marina:
Someone serving on the city's Parks & Recreation board took these photographs. She said the building will open at the end of this month or early next month.

We haven't seen this view of the building... I didn't recognize it from this view:

Credit: suzyfielders

This is our first look at the view from Salem Lake Marina:

Quarry Park:

Credit: jeejuno

Someone serving on the city's Parks & Recreation board took a photograph of the view:

It's not even completed and look at all of the cyclists already using it! ...while it's still under construction! Wow! This is very popular!

Most people seem to photograph it from this location:

Credit: xxbowiexx

In this view, we can see the street name markers:

Credit: ajohnsoniv

The street name markers are made from the original Victorian street curbing they removed when they demolished and rebuilt all of the streets for the downtown innovation district.

Some people are already crossing over to the construction section:

Credit: gutterfromthecut

If the music video (the photograph above is advertising) includes the high line project, it could be worth sharing in this thread?

This is an unusual angle we haven't seen before: (I like the color-changing light tower)

Credit: dertyconejo

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

A Reynolds Wrap sculpture: (Richard Reynolds, nephew of R.J. Reynolds, founded the aluminum foil company in 1919 to make foil for food & cigarette wrappers)

Credit: dougcunn

Bailey Park Aerial:

Credit: _froonthego

A nice ballpark & skyline view from Hawthorne Hill (Silver Ridge almost blocks the view):

Credit: andriahjones

Credit: francesbarringer

Credit: ellentrashtelis

This is the city I post on:

Credit: 1katiegentry

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 1:24 PM

Central on 5th is wrapping up construction. Landscaping and public art on the way!

http://www.forsyth.cc/library/Central/default.aspx

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:01 PM

It looks like the new sciences facility has gained funding and is out for bid. The 103,000 sq. ft. building will anchor the WSSU science district which runs along US52\I285. This part of campus sits close to the IQ and should be a dynamic building heading into downtown from the South.

Groundbreaking is set for this Fall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations