HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:50 AM

Your question should be in the city discussion section.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:30 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Sincere question - does Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania have a comparable equivalent to UrbanOhio? Not talking blogs or Instagram accounts or eNewswhateverthekidscallit but a comparable apples-to-apples messageboard format that reaches a similar audience and scope?

UrbanOhio is a spin off of SSP and took a lot of the "day to day" updates with it but the format seems to work because new members keep coming. Just curious as to whether anything like that was considered for Pittsburgh and if yes/no - why did or didn't it happen? Does anyone moderate the Pittsburgh thread on an active basis or is it on an "as reported" basis? I just wonder if UrbanOhio never materialized - how would things be different?

In about two years, I'll have been an SSP forumer for 20 years and it's interesting to look back and see how our community (architecture/skyscraper/urban geeks) and our outlets to connect with each other have grown and evolved.
Not really.

Philadelphia has its own dedicated message board, Philadelphia Speaks, but it's kind of dead. A lot of urbanist discussion has moved to the UrbanPHL Facebook group. I'm not sure what-all Pittsburghers have. Or peeps from the many smaller cities in the state.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 6:39 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Sincere question - does Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania have a comparable equivalent to UrbanOhio? Not talking blogs or Instagram accounts or eNewswhateverthekidscallit but a comparable apples-to-apples messageboard format that reaches a similar audience and scope?

UrbanOhio is a spin off of SSP and took a lot of the "day to day" updates with it but the format seems to work because new members keep coming. Just curious as to whether anything like that was considered for Pittsburgh and if yes/no - why did or didn't it happen? Does anyone moderate the Pittsburgh thread on an active basis or is it on an "as reported" basis? I just wonder if UrbanOhio never materialized - how would things be different?

In about two years, I'll have been an SSP forumer for 20 years and it's interesting to look back and see how our community (architecture/skyscraper/urban geeks) and our outlets to connect with each other have grown and evolved.
Not that I know of. The SSP development thread is the most interesting and informative Pittsburgh thread online for daily information. City-Data has a lot but I can't deal with the level of stupidity and ignorance on that site. I never joined. SSC never appealed to me.
I kind of oversee page 1 development like you do and assist with other forumers in trying to steer the conversation in a productive direction. I am about to create a new development thread with updated projects and info in the next few weeks since it is overdo.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 2:03 AM
Ex Houstonian

I wish someone would update this thread at least weekly from urbanohio

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 1:43 AM

^ I wish someone would post more pictures of Cleveland. You've got the skills! Nice shots.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 1:59 AM

Cleveland Hilton Downtown Opened June 1st

Quote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cleveland skyline entered the 21st century on Wednesday afternoon, with the official opening of the city's newest skyscraper, the 374-foot tall Hilton Cleveland Downtown.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jphenney/27138663883

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 7:30 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That looks fantastic!! Should go very well with that shiny new Larry O' Brien trophy...
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:31 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Just a few quick updates for now - Public Square moved to Completed, added the Cleveland Clinic Health Education Campus, will be adding and updating a lot more in the near future

Old Posted Jul 14, 2016, 11:12 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

This could be interesting - construction of apartments atop an existing parking garage. Nadaaa are the architects:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:35 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Added quite a few updates, most notable is One University Circle is officially under construction with the base of the tower crane in place:

The Cleveland Clinic/CWRU Health Education campus is coming along nicely:

Added two sizable office buildings that are being redeveloped into residential use - the Standard Building (287 units) ...

... and the Garfield (123 units):

On the Proposed side, added the proposed project for the 22-acre site next to Nautica on the West Bank of the Flats. Pretty ambitious but who knows:

And the big updates for the Completed section are Public Square:

And the Hilton hotel and Drury Plaza:

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 6:57 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Cleveland was ready for her closeup during the RNC, and looked great. All of the media coverage I saw portrayed the city in a positive light, usually with a 'comback kid' type of narrative.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Cleveland was ready for her closeup during the RNC, and looked great. All of the media coverage I saw portrayed the city in a positive light, usually with a 'comback kid' type of narrative.
You beat me too it fflint and Cleveland did shine this past week ! What a nice looking city!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 1:19 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Apologies for the hiatus, been busy with work and family but some good stuff going on in Cleveland; made the following updates on the first page. Anymore there's more projects than I can keep up with, but I guess that's a good problem to have

One University Circle
$112 million project/20-story apartment tower

Rendering:

Progress as of October 9, 2016:

The Edge/CSU
11-story student apartment building; 200+ units

Rendering:

Progress from October 5, 2016

West 25th and Detroit
$60 million mixed-use project - new construction of 250 apartments; renovation of former Forest City Bank building

Rendering

95 Lake Townhomes
New construction of 10 townhomes

Rendering:

Progress from October 12, 2016:

Edge32
Six-story apartment building

Rendering:

The Foundry
$9 million renovation/repurposing 10+ historic buildings on West Bank of the Flats into rowing/sailing facilities.

Rendering:

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 5:14 AM

The Cavs just announced in conjunction with the city plans for a $140 million renovation to the Quicken Loans Arena in hopes of getting the NBA all star game by 2020.

http://www.theqtransformation.com/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 2:49 PM

Here's a link to the Cleveland.com story with some images. Not 100% sold on the exterior, but it probably is time to upgrade the Q a bit.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index....rmation.html#0

Old Posted Feb 9, 2017, 11:17 PM

http://realestate.cleveland.com/real...rt_river_index

First tenants for the NuCLEus project announced. Cleveland Live! announced as it's anchor and Shake Shack, HopCat and Starbucks Reserve also sign on

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 11:43 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

This is proposed for the area around West 28th and 29th near Detroit Avenue. Love the overall massing but reserving judgement on the facade for now.

From cleveland.com:

Ohio City apartment proposal would fill gap along Detroit Avenue

By Michelle Jarboe, The Plain Dealer
on February 27, 2017 at 8:33 AM, updated February 27, 2017 at 2:29 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - A pair of Ohio City parking lots is earmarked for a mixed-use project called the Church and State apartments, as part of a broader push to build up major corridors west of downtown Cleveland while preserving houses at the heart of the neighborhood.

Plans for the $50 million project show 161 apartments over 20,000 square feet of retail and 211 indoor parking spaces along Detroit Avenue, on roughly an acre between lower-slung, existing buildings at West 28th and West 29th streets. Named after historic and current Ohio City streets, the buildings will reach five floors - the Church, to the east - and rise to 11 stories - the State, to the west.

More at:
http://realestate.cleveland.com/real...roposal_w.html

Old Posted Apr 16, 2017, 11:32 AM

I'm a very big fan of Cleveland, as is my father who's an architect. I truly enjoy reading the updates when they are posted and look forward to seeing more in the future.

Your city is a fantastic comeback story!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 9:59 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

A few recent updates:

New beach house at Edgewater Park - will feature a second story restaurant and walkway:

Rendering:

Progress as of April 23:

Edge 32 - apartments in Detroit-Shoreway:

Cleveland Clinic Health Education Campus:

One University Circle - 20 story apartment building:

And rumor has it that the Beacon apartment tower starts construction next week

From cleveland.com:

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 11:00 AM
Member of SSP since 1997

At some point I'll try to update the main page but this was good news to hear. I've heard the Beacon tower has been pushed back to August for construction start.

Text and image source: Michelle Jarboe at cleveland.com

Playhouse Square plans 34-story apartment tower in downtown Cleveland's theater district

CLEVELAND, Ohio - After years of behind-the-scenes planning, Playhouse Square Foundation is getting ready to stage its biggest real estate act: Building a 34-story apartment tower at the edge of downtown Cleveland's theater district.

The nonprofit organization will own the project, a $135 million investment comprised of a 319-unit rental building and an adjacent, 550-space parking garage at East 17th Street and Euclid Avenue. Hines, a global real estate firm, will serve as the development manager, shepherding the project without holding a stake in it.

Playhouse Square's decision to push forward on a long-held development dream comes during a rental renaissance for Cleveland, which is seeing proposals for new construction pick up as the supply of potential conversion projects - older buildings primed for residential makeovers - thins.

More at: http://realestate.cleveland.com/real...art_river_home

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations