HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Air Canada looks at expanding service to MEM
Michelle Corbet, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...ce-to-mem.html
What's premium about that content. that was already announce as a 1x daily on a 50 seater. I would even be happy if the bookings supported an equipment upgrade or 2x daily.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:26 PM

Demolition underway for One Beale

http://wreg.com/2017/03/27/demolitio...beale-project/

I wonder why this hasn't been brought up. The developers for One Beale have received a demolition permit to demolish the W.C. Ellis and Sons building to get ready for One Beale. I'm a preservationist, but Memphis has so many old buildings with more architectural significance. Tear it down, and build the tower!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
http://wreg.com/2017/03/27/demolitio...beale-project/

I wonder why this hasn't been brought up. The developers for One Beale have received a demolition permit to demolish the W.C. Ellis and Sons building to get ready for One Beale. I'm a preservationist, but Memphis has so many old buildings with more architectural significance. Tear it down, and build the tower!

Yeah I saw this a while back. I was under the assumption they were starting to tear it down.. or at least the first building. Haven't been that way lately though. Hopefully something new comes out with One Beale in regards to updated plans soon.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
Yeah I saw this a while back. I was under the assumption they were starting to tear it down.. or at least the first building. Haven't been that way lately though. Hopefully something new comes out with One Beale in regards to updated plans soon.
Yeah, Carlisle said that they aren't finished with the final plans, but a demo permit on a 100+ year old building must mean that they are serious about starting the project.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 10:52 PM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
Yeah, Carlisle said that they aren't finished with the final plans, but a demo permit on a 100+ year old building must mean that they are serious about starting the project.
I don't think they should be allowed to touch anything until they've pulled permits. This group, as good as their intentions may be, have been leading the city on for 10+ years now. Sure, a portion of that time was during the recession. But since the recession, just about once a year, they come forward with some update/design change/quote/etc. It's ridiculous. Either build it, or don't. I don't understand their strategy.

And for the love of Elvis, Memphis does not need any more "boutique" hotels.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
I don't think they should be allowed to touch anything until they've pulled permits. This group, as good as their intentions may be, have been leading the city on for 10+ years now. Sure, a portion of that time was during the recession. But since the recession, just about once a year, they come forward with some update/design change/quote/etc. It's ridiculous. Either build it, or don't. I don't understand their strategy.

And for the love of Elvis, Memphis does not need any more "boutique" hotels.

I agree on One Beale-- I understand things like this are costly but hell just build the apartment tower alone since they've come out and said the hotel/office is the tricky part with costs etc, still hopeful since they have bought the adjacent property but still have doubts since the "new" plans since the recession came out what 3 years ago?

And at least this latest hotel is farther down Beale so would be good to extend-- BUT-- again with the track record have doubts on actual "action" vs plans.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 5:28 PM

I see there is a MBJ article about one of the Carlisle's leaving their position for another company and how that relates to One Beale-- I do not have subscriber content, not sure if anyone on here would? I'm eventually going to give up hope if something else regarding another setback or delay lol...

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG901 View Post
I see there is a MBJ article about one of the Carlisle's leaving their position for another company and how that relates to One Beale-- I do not have subscriber content, not sure if anyone on here would? I'm eventually going to give up hope if something else regarding another setback or delay lol...
There's nothing particularly interesting or noteworthy in the story... They say it will still happen, yada yada yada. I'm so fed up with the whole thing. I'm going to try and ignore it until dirt is moving.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:19 PM

Well, I'm eager to see the new plans

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...tion-plan.html

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:40 PM

https://youtu.be/QKMMcD28aPo

http://www.flymemphis.com/modernization

Timeline
Early 2017: Jet bridge construction to accommodate additional airlines on A and C
Mid 2017: Bidding on B construction
Late 2017: Delta Air Lines moves to A Concourse; Allegiant moves to C Concourse
Late 2017: Retail, food & beverage relocate to A and C
Late 2017: B Concourse closed
2018-2020: B Concourse construction
Mid 2020: Modernized B Concourse opens
Mid 2020: Airlines begin moving to B Concourse

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
https://youtu.be/QKMMcD28aPo

http://www.flymemphis.com/modernization

Timeline
Early 2017: Jet bridge construction to accommodate additional airlines on A and C
Mid 2017: Bidding on B construction
Late 2017: Delta Air Lines moves to A Concourse; Allegiant moves to C Concourse
Late 2017: Retail, food & beverage relocate to A and C
Late 2017: B Concourse closed
2018-2020: B Concourse construction
Mid 2020: Modernized B Concourse opens
Mid 2020: Airlines begin moving to B Concourse

Nice video, thanks

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:23 AM

Images from the airport's website of what Concourse B will look like after reconstruction:

It's definitely a vast improvement from the original plans.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:09 PM

Work has finally started on the Hilton Garden Inn.

From the Commercial Appeal:http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...nue/100840666/

Quote:
Construction is ramping up along the stretch of Union Avenue that leads to Downtown's core.

Work has started on a new, seven-story Hilton Garden Inn at 201 Union, where the Greyhound bus station once stood across from AutoZone Park.

And Enterprise Rent-A-Car on Monday demolished its 1,000-square-foot building at 426 Union to make room for a new, 2,232-square-foot office on expanded grounds.

Those new projects are neighbors to the newly opened, $5 million Made in Memphis Entertainment recording studio at 400 Union and the nearly completed LaQuinta Inn & Suites at 310 Union.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:06 PM

Airport Renovation Is Starting Up (early phase)

MBJ:
Quote:
Memphis International Airport is getting a $214 million makeover, but first, it has to move some things around.

F&F Construction Co. filed a $2.6 million renovation permit Monday, April 24, for the "renovation of existing space" at Memphis International Airport.
F&F will remove walls and add gate holding areas, as well as install the passenger boarding bridges that are currently being refurbished.
These projects need to be done by the end of the calendar year, so we can move Delta to A and move forward with modernization,” Brockman said.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:44 PM

Looks like they've modified the Overton Gateway Apartments with design closer to the street and looks less suburban.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/vide...way/100960680/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2017, 12:58 AM

Cargill, Calysta Break Ground on Presidents Island Facility
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
NouriTech, a joint venture between Cargill and Calysta, broke ground on its new 37-acre Presidents Island gas fermentation facility, which will be the world’s largest upon completion.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...land-facility/

rendering (submitted)

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:34 AM

IMPROVE Act Addresses Backlogged Shelby County Projects
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
While the Tennessee Department of Transportation will distribute the funds across the state, there are 20 major projects in Shelby County that TDOT has committed to, but not funded, totaling roughly $583 million. At the top of the local list is a much-needed proposed upgrade to Lamar Avenue from south of Shelby Drive to the Raines Road/Perkins Road interchange, which carries a price tag of $125.3 million. In fact, improvements to the often-bottlenecked Lamar account for five of the 20 projects, with a total cost of $252 million.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...unty-projects/

Quote:
Shelby County Projects Included in the IMPROVE Act
1. $125.3 million: Lamar Avenue from south of Shelby Drive to Raines/Perkins Road interchange
2. $81.4 million: Lamar Avenue from Raines Road/Perkins Road interchange to Getwell Road
3. $51 million: Interstate 240 from I-55 to I-40 near Midtown
4. $47 million: I-40 from Germantown Road to one mile east of Canada Road
5. $42 million: Lamar Avenue from Mississippi state line to south of Shelby Avenue
6. $42 million: I-240 interchange at Airways Boulevard
7. $40 million: I-40 from one mile east of Canada Road to Collierville-Arlington Road: $40 million
8. $35.4 million: Summer Avenue from north of Sycamore View Road to north of Elmore Road
9. $28.3 million: Summer Avenue from I-40 to north of Sycamore View Road
10. $20 million: Austin Peay Highway from east of Kerrville-Rosemark Road to Tipton County line
11. $20 million: Austin Peay Highway from Paul Barrett Parkway to east of Kerrville-Rosemark Road
12. $15.5 million: Elvis Presley Boulevard from Craft Road to Shelby Drive
13. $9 million: I-269 expansion from I-40 to Mississippi state line
14. $6.6 million: Thomas Street bridge over overflow
15. $4 million: Tenn. 385 expansion between mile markers 7 and 15
16. $3.6 million: Thomas Street bridge over CNIC railroad
17. $3.4 million: Lamar Avenue bridge over ramps from I-240 and Tenn. Route 4 (Lamar)
18. $3.2 million: Jackson Avenue bridge over Harrison Creek
19. $2.7 million: U.S. 70/79 bridge over Clear Creek
20. $2.1 million: Poplar Avenue bridge over Cypress Creek
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...unty-projects/

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:42 AM

Glad to see projects like this-- Memphis has had vast improvement that's been recognized nationally in biking/trails with the Greenline, Big River Crossing etc. With this if it adds more activity on Peabody Place that'd be great-- I was thinking the building farther towards 4th connected to the parking garage that's only had a Hooters that's really lasted long-term would hopefully benefit with what they were saying with shops, cafes, etc along this stretch.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlog...ormed-downtown

http://www.commercialappeal.com/vide...ect/101246266/

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 4:02 PM

I'm predicting that LIT's Vegas nonstop via Southwest may be in trouble. I imagine there's still a bit of bleed from Memphis on that flight but this will end most of it:

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...las-vegas.html

Frontier is opening a base there and I think this route will be successful and go daily sooner than later. They have had smashing success on their Denver flights from MEM, upgrading to an A321 to service it.

Southwest is in a bit of change right now, retiring older planes as new ones comes in, not affording much domestic route growth, just playing with frequencies but that will change and I see them adding MEM/DEN as it looks like low hanging fruit to steal from Frontier. They could easily switch LIT for MEM using the same plane as well even if it is one of their no plane change stops to a larger destination for other passengers.

The O&D from MEM continues to grow. They had an increase  of over 13,000 passengers in March over last year's monthly total.

April's number will be a bit wacky as Delta used Memphis as a temp reliever for Atlanta when Hartsfield was shut down from storms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations