HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 12:44 AM

Whoa!
Did the new courthouse and New Era mate and give birth to this?

Nice work though!

What do you think of putting this up on Buffalo Rising to share with a wider audience?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2006, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN
speaking of the Dulski project, after it came up i tooled around a little with a picture in PS and did some of my own renovation & facelifting...

unfortunately i didn't have any of my own pictures on hand so i had to fish for one.

anyways, enjoy.

OH, YOU'RE GOOD!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 6:36 AM
NIMBYcrusher9000

it has fangs!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel_ready
it has fangs!!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 2:27 PM

According to Business First, we're competing with Chicago, Toronto and Long Island for this facility that could be four-stories and 250,000 sq.ft. and 2000 jobs.

Citigroup may put facility in Amherst
By JONATHAN D. EPSTEIN
News Business Reporter
9/15/2006

Citigroup is considering placing a second major back-office facility in Amherst's CrossPoint Business Park, but Western New York is still competing tightly with other parts of the country, local real estate and economic development sources said Thursday.

The nation's largest banking company and parent of Citibank is discussing a proposal to expand its existing corporate and investment banking presence in the region, the sources said. The bank is working with Buffalo Niagara Enterprise and Empire State Development Corp., and talks so far have been positive, but no decisions have been made, they added.

Details of the proposal have also not been finalized, but could involve moving jobs from the New York City area, where real estate and salary costs are significantly higher.

"Whatever they're considering, they haven't chosen a site," said James Allen, executive director of the Amherst Industrial Development Agency, who isn't directly involved but said he was briefed on the project. "They are looking at Amherst and other sites around the country."

Citibank officials could not be reached for comment.

Citibank is opening a new facility in Uniland Development Co.'s
CrossPoint park early next month. The 107,000-square-foot project will house its Global Transaction Services group that is now based on Ridge Lea Road, behind Boulevard Consumer Square in Amherst.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 5:17 PM

Lets keep those fingers crossed!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 1:42 AM

The auditorium turned office space at Oak School Lofts. Vaspian communications is moving in this month- they've grown from two to forty employees in just three years.

stage to become their conference 'area'

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 10:40 AM

Very nice.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 10:43 PM
welcome to the madness

I don't know why everybody says that the economy is bad here in WNY. It's slow, but it's not bad. From the most recent stats published in the Buffalo News this past week I believe the area has turned a corner. Yes we are continuing to bleed unionized unskilled manufacturing jobs, but now at least there are enough new jobs in other sectors that we are seeing a net gain in private sector jobs each quarter. It may not result in a construction boom downtown, but it is resulting in a lot of renovations and a new interest in downtown. Open your eyes WNY--things are looking up!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar
I don't know why everybody says that the economy is bad here in WNY. It's slow, but it's not bad. From the most recent stats published in the Buffalo News this past week I believe the area has turned a corner. Yes we are continuing to bleed unionized unskilled manufacturing jobs, but now at least there are enough new jobs in other sectors that we are seeing a net gain in private sector jobs each quarter. It may not result in a construction boom downtown, but it is resulting in a lot of renovations and a new interest in downtown. Open your eyes WNY--things are looking up!
Your name wouldn't be Pataki by any chance would it?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2006, 7:52 AM
Trendy.

Quote:
If you travel and/or live outside out of WNY, it's really apparent that it's bad here.

I'll second what Halovet says - is your name "Pataki" by chance

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 12:58 AM
welcome to the madness

No

I lived in Lexington KY for 3 years--traveled frequently to Nashville and Raleigh, before moving back here. Sorry but I like here--a lot. The economy is just different here that's all and that's not necessarily a bad thing. What I see has WNY's biggest problem, perhaps all of upstate is costs associated with running a small business. Bigger players like HSBC and Citi don't necessarily face the same obstacles a small business has--IDA's will fall all over themselves giving breaks benefits to big projects. What really set the Southeast apart as a whole was the number of small startups happening. It wasn't huge companies--although there were plenty--but tons of small and medium businesses that filled the gaps--that's what WNY doesn't have enough of. However, I still believe the area as a whole has turned a significant corner.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=Sulley]If you travel and/or live outside out of WNY, it's really apparent that it's bad here.

"Ain't that the truth" and things are getting worst everyday.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 2:04 PM
welcome to the madness

After this post I'm done commenting on the state of the economy. Having absurd sprawl around a city does not make for a hot economy--check back in 20 years to places that have been overwhelmed with infrastructure costs.

Back to Buffalo--"Ain't that the truth" and things are getting worst everyday. This is an absurd statement not based on anything that's happening in Buffalo. Last I checked there were a multitude of large and small projects happening around downtown. As for population loss--Buffalo needs to show some guts and dispute the population freefall stats coming from the census bureau. They tried to do the same thing to St. Louis and St. Louis disputed the figures which actually led to a population increase.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 2:31 PM
try being in the Buff

[quote=FireMedic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
If you travel and/or live outside out of WNY, it's really apparent that it's bad here.

"Ain't that the truth" and things are getting worst everyday.

Nice to have you back Fprmer!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 5:57 PM
Great White Norf

Ellicott Commons Update (Sept 15)

from the blog AllThingsBuffalo: http://www.allthingsbuffalo.wnymedia.net/?p=280

"If you decide to enjoy your lunch from Washington Market on their patio you will be enchated with the sounds of serious construction going on right next to you at the Ellicott Commons.
This part of Downtown has soooo much potential to be a contempoary, young, cool place. Here’s hoping that once the commons are up and running, we’ll see the infamous Genesee block next to it developed."

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 6:02 PM
Great White Norf

Also from AllThingsBuffalo Blog

oops double post

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 6:02 PM
Great White Norf

Also from AllThingsBuffalo Blog (285 Delaware)

http://www.allthingsbuffalo.wnymedia.net/?p=279

above image from AllThingsBuffalo blog

above rendering image from BuffaloRising

"Large, inflatable rats can only delay 285 Delaware so long. The mix of unionized and non-unionized workers have put up a couple stories of steel on this 5 story building that will be mostly occupied by M&T."

Last edited by Wigs; Sep 19, 2006 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 9:53 PM
Trendy.

[QUOTE=steel]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic

Nice to have you back Fprmer!
I think he's you - afterall, the grammatical styles are very similar. At least I can spell.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 10:21 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
After this post I'm done commenting on the state of the economy. Having absurd sprawl around a city does not make for a hot economy--check back in 20 years to places that have been overwhelmed with infrastructure costs.
And what do you say to those cities that are rapidly densifying in the core at the same time?

Quote:
Back to Buffalo--"Ain't that the truth" and things are getting worst everyday. This is an absurd statement not based on anything that's happening in Buffalo. Last I checked there were a multitude of large and small projects happening around downtown. As for population loss--Buffalo needs to show some guts and dispute the population freefall stats coming from the census bureau. They tried to do the same thing to St. Louis and St. Louis disputed the figures which actually led to a population increase.
While I believe Buffalo is much better than it was in the 70s/80s, do you honestly believe that the city is increasing in population when even the metro is declining? That's quite the stretch, IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations