HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:53 PM

Berryessa BART development

Planned development around the future Berryessa (San Jose) BART station. The station is opening Fall/Winter 2017.

The development includes 3 12-story buildings and 2 10-story buildings with 7,000 parking stalls.

Sources:

http://www.marketparksanjose.com/home/

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/faf/cp/...%20reduced.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 5:55 PM

Piper Drive Residential 12-Story building in Milpitas (First city north of San Jose):

Current lot right now. Maybe 2 more years and it's done?:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Planned development around the future Berryessa (San Jose) BART station. The station is opening Fall/Winter 2017.

The development includes 3 12-story buildings and 2 10-story buildings with 7,000 parking stalls.
As an example of transit-oriented development, this really sucks.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
As an example of transit-oriented development, this really sucks.
I was gonna say...instead of housing that we need now, we get a bunch of squat blocky office towers in a park, and two massive parking garages? And then maybe some housing in the "future". What the hell are they thinking?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
I hope that Oakland residential tower breaks ground soon. Oakland hasn't had any development in awhile other than Brooklyn Basin
Over 2,500 new residential units now under construction in Oakland (this is not an exhaustive list):
1640 Broadway, 33 floors, 254 Housing Units
2400 Valdez, 7 floors, 224 Housing Units
2315 Valdez, 6 Floors, 234 Housing Units
2300 Valdez, 6 Floors, 196 Housing Units
1700 Webster, 20 Floors, 206 Housing Units
3093 Broadway, 6 Floors, 423 Housing Units
459 8th Street, 5 Floors, 50 Housing Units
1110 Jackson, 5 Floors, 71 Housing Units
612 18th, 6 Floors, 80 Housing Units
Mac Arthur BART Station, 287 Housing Units
Broadway and 51st, 127 Housing Units
Broadway and 51st, 130 Housing Units
4801 Shattuck, 44 Housing Units
2935 Telegraph, 162 Housing Units
Alice Street, 74 Housing Units

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Over 2,500 new residential units now under construction in Oakland (this is not an exhaustive list):
2400 Valdez, 7 floors, 224 Housing Units
2315 Valdez, 6 Floors, 234 Housing Units
2300 Valdez, 6 Floors, 196 Housing Units
1700 Webster, 20 Floors, 206 Housing Units
3093 Broadway, 6 Floors, 423 Housing Units
459 8th Street, 5 Floors, 50 Housing Units
1110 Jackson, 5 Floors, 71 Housing Units
612 18th, 6 Floors, 80 Housing Units
Mac Arthur BART Station, 287 Housing Units
Broadway and 51st, 127 Housing Units
Broadway and 51st, 130 Housing Units
4801 Shattuck, 44 Housing Units
2935 Telegraph, 162 Housing Units
Alice Street, 74 Housing Units
Sorry, I meant as in a high-rise development. I'm mostly aware of Santa Clara County development and somewhat of San Francisco but not really Oakland.

^ Glad to see that there is a 33 floor high rise coming soon!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:23 PM

Can you guys explain to me about what is wrong with having offices next to a BART station? Isn't it ideal to have people commute to work easily via public transit?

Sure, I'm not a fan of the blocky office buildings but I thought having your work located next to a station, especially BART, is ideal. I mean, Tesla is literally right next to Warm Springs location too.

If you're talking about future housing, refer to this photo and you can see that they are already planning to have more residential development next to the station. I believe that the owners of the San Jose Flea Market (where it says "future transit residential" in the other photo), are planning to move near the San Jose Fairgrounds. Once completed, I believe that more residential development will happen.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 4:18 AM

I agree that I can't see anything wrong with this plan. Many people won't like living too close to the railway line due to the noise, so best to block the noise with a parking garage and office buildings and then build the residential area after that.

Quote:
Can you guys explain to me about what is wrong with having offices next to a BART station? Isn't it ideal to have people commute to work easily via public transit?

Sure, I'm not a fan of the blocky office buildings but I thought having your work located next to a station, especially BART, is ideal. I mean, Tesla is literally right next to Warm Springs location too.

If you're talking about future housing, refer to this photo and you can see that they are already planning to have more residential development next to the station. I believe that the owners of the San Jose Flea Market (where it says "future transit residential" in the other photo), are planning to move near the San Jose Fairgrounds. Once completed, I believe that more residential development will happen.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 5:16 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
days after saying nothing going on here, have to update this already! new crane has gone up and that looks like steel poking up above ground

these are more than a week old now, but steel is going up quickly at the Success Factors building site on the side of San Bruno Mountain I assume technically in South San Francisco, but really by itself

and here the transit village in San Carlos

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 8:09 PM

VTA says that the Milpitas BART station is 96.5% done and is projected to open in December 2017, 6 months ahead of the original plan. Hopefully this means that Berryessa will open at the same time or close to the date.

I'm taking this lightly due to how Warm Springs opened up... (completed in 2014 but opened in 2017??)

Source: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/2...mber-vta-says/

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:

I think the big problem most of us have with the design is the parking garages next to the office buildings. 7,000 parking spaces doesn't exactly encourage the office workings to take BART. This is clearly NOT Transit Oriented Develop, it transit adjacent development. Just for comparison, the maximum capacity of one freeway lane is about 1,900 vehicles per hour. It would therefore take over 3.5 freeway lanes to accommodate the rush-hour traffic the garage vehicles could potentially generate.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 7:36 PM
Droppin' Loads

I think the idea is that the parking garage is for commuters going north. This is the last BART stop for probably quite a long time, so the anticipated BART commuters need a place to park.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 9:30 PM

2 million square feet will probably hold 15,000 employees. So 7,000 stalls isn't really that bad. It is probably far lower than what you would typically see in a regular suburban office park.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
I think the idea is that the parking garage is for commuters going north. This is the last BART stop for probably quite a long time, so the anticipated BART commuters need a place to park.
I tried to confirm, but couldn't. However, I don't think the garages are for BART patrons. They are part of the business development. It appears most (all?) of the BART parking is on the other side of the BART tracks.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
2 million square feet will probably hold 15,000 employees. So 7,000 stalls isn't really that bad. It is probably far lower than what you would typically see in a regular suburban office park.
Actually standard convention is about 250 square feet per employee, so 2 million square feet would hold 8,000 workers.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:54 PM

Some aerial shots of Milpitas BART that I took this past weekend:

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilly View Post
Actually standard convention is about 250 square feet per employee, so 2 million square feet would hold 8,000 workers.
Where did you get that number?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...140702483.html

Quote:
The average for all companies for square feet per worker in 2017 will be 151 square feet, compared to 176 square feet today[2012], and 225 square feet in 2010.
https://www.officefinder.com/how.html

Quote:
The general rule of thumb is to allow anywhere between 125 and 225 usable square feet of office space per person.
I suppose you can read something in the "usable" part and say there is so much space in the lobby, elevators, stairs, bathrooms that your numbers are correct, but honestly it seems so far out of left field I would really want to see a source for it tbh.

Now doing math based on more accepted numbers, let's just use the 176sqft from the article in 2012, we get up to 11136 employees. Now clearly it will be a tough sell to get employers to embrace Berryessa, so it likely won't ever be 100% filled. Now the other part is that parking minimums exist, so the parking has to go somewhere. Based on the zoning laws of the city it is required to have 7840 parking spaces, 4 for every 1000sqft. Looks like the developer may be looking to get an exclusion though TDM measures.

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/12657

Quote:
Consistent with direction from the T&E Committee, staff is proposing Zoning Code changes to encourage the shift in overall commute transportation mode share from gasoline-fueled automobile travel to less-polluting and less energy-intensive transportation modes. The proposed
ordinance would provide reductions to the required amount off-street parking space if specific Transportation Demand Management (TDM) measures are provided by a developer/owner for a project. EcoPasses and car-share programs would be included in the list of TDM measures which may be considered as the basis for a reduction in a project’s on-site parking requirement, consistent with a memorandum dated October 9, 2008 to the Rules and Open Government Committee from Mayor Reed and Councilmembers Liccardo and Chirco.
The 2008 memorandum discussed ways to encourage developers to implement measures supportive of the concept of planning for a city for people, not just cars. Staff’s proposed changes to the Zoning Ordinance are intended to support this principle, particularly for the Downtown, Transit Employment Centers, Urban Villages, Neighborhood Business Districts, and other key growth areas in the Envision San José 2040 General Plan. The proposed reductions would support pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit riders, thereby facilitating San José’s mode-
shift and vehicle-miles-traveled reduction goals.
Both the 12 story buildings and the parking below minimums may require special allowances by the city to be implemented. But the developer cannot ignore the minimums.

Though you're right in that there is nothing in the law saying that the developer cannot charge for parking and open it up to commuters. Or in any other way "unbundle" the parking.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Picture credit to cardinal2007 from skyscrapercity in the San Jose Development thread:

These are photos of Silvery Towers in Downtown San Jose as of early March 2017. Completion is expected Spring 2018.

While I appreciate that I put the photos public, perhaps letting me post this stuff would be best. There is a San Jose compilation thread I post to. Don't want to flood this thread with every little thing about SJ.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
While I appreciate that I put the photos public, perhaps letting me post this stuff would be best. There is a San Jose compilation thread I post to. Don't want to flood this thread with every little thing about SJ.
Haha, hi cardinal

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:47 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Some aerial shots of Milpitas BART that I took this past weekend:

I like the form of the station and love the fact that it connects to the light rail, but even if there were anything within walking distance, can you even get to it on foot?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations