HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post

Developer: Market Square groundbreaking by midsummer

-$76.6 million office and hotel project by midsummer

-95,000 square feet of office space

-175-room Hilton Garden Inn hotel

-23,000 square feet of retail space

-325-space parking garage.

-hoping to have the office and retail portions open by December 2013
- the hotel by March 2014

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11349/1197129-100.stm
KDKA did a piece on the Market Square Development today as well. Must have been a press release or something.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/...market-square/

Says the hotel will be 17 stories.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:40 PM

Of the 200 largest metros in the U.S. Pittsburgh came in 37th for "2011 Best Performing Cities". Pretty good, but 5 spots worse than a year ago.

2011 Best Performing Cities

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 2:17 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...-advances.html

Quote:
Hot Metal Corporate Center advances

Pittsburgh Business Times by Tim Schooley, Reporter
Date: Friday, December 16, 2011, 6:00am EST

Tim Schooley
Reporter - Pittsburgh Business Times

Oxford Development Co. , backed by a high-powered team of partners, is ready to push forward with the leasing and marketing of what it is calling Hot Metal Corporate Center, a new name for an established proposal to build a four-story, 120,000-square-foot office building at SouthSide Works .

It’s a project slated for an open plot on Hot Metal Street between a SpringHill Suites Hotel and the Circuit Center union facility that’s seen proposals come and go without ever reaching construction.

Shawn Fox, director of business development for Oxford, sees plenty of reasons why circumstances are different this time.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattejb View Post
Images form PNC website look great. I really like the contrast of sharp and smooth surfaces.
Is it just me or does there look like there are two completely different designs

here?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 3:43 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Is it just me or does there look like there are two completely different designs

here?
YES. The front looks rounded and uses blue glass and the rear is completely boxy and features green glass. But somehow it's the same thing.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 4:02 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_772477.html

Quote:
Trail-bridge funding next for Riverlife nonprofit

By Tom Fontaine, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Pittsburgh nonprofit applied this week for the first building permits related to a $3 million project that would plug a large hole in the city's riverfront trail system.

Downtown-based Riverlife Pittsburgh now needs to plug a large hole in funding for the project.

To date, Riverlife has raised about $2 million to build the Mon Wharf Switchback, said spokesman Stephan Bontrager. The project will connect the Smithfield Street Bridge to the Mon Wharf Landing and Eliza Furnace Trail below for pedestrians and bicyclists.

"I can't speculate how the (funding) gap will be made up," Bontrager said. "We're hoping the community will come forward to support this project, as it has so far."

About two-thirds of the money raised has come from foundations and individuals; the rest is from public agencies. This month, the Allegheny Regional Asset District announced plans to put $100,000 in public money toward the project over the next two years.

Currently, bicyclists and pedestrians must use a steep set of stairs off the bridge or a steep vehicle ramp to the Mon Wharf Landing. The switchback will provide a gently sloped, U-shaped path from the bridge to the trails below, and a new set of stairs will be constructed.

Also in the works, as a separate project, is a plan to create a better connection from the western end of the Mon Wharf riverfront park and trail to Point State Park. The only path now is four feet wide and separated from highway traffic by a concrete barrier and from the Monongahela River by a chain-link fence.

Bontrager said the Point State Park Connector project is expected to cost another $3 million.

Once completed, pedestrians and bicyclists on the Great Allegheny Passage will be able to get to the Point without having to get off their bikes in Pittsburgh or navigate what can be treacherous city streets.

"This is the missing link," said Scott Bricker, executive director of the Lawrenceville-based advocacy group Bike Pittsburgh. "These are important projects."

A Riverlife study released this fall predicted that the switchback, connector and planned Allegheny Riverfront Trail in the Strip District and Lawrenceville would result in more than 16,000 people switching from the roads to the trails for the bulk of their transportation needs. That would mean less traffic congestion and pollution and reduced transportation costs for those who use the trails, the study said.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 4:53 PM

I wasn't thrilled with the rounded part of the new PNC Tower design, but I like it better knowing it also has square parts--I'm particularly curious how it will look overall from the south (Mt Washington or Station Square).

By the way, I don't think the Millcraft project will do much to obscure it from Market Square, unless maybe you are deep into the southeast corner. Here is my crude attempt to show how the buildings will relate from Market Square (with a now outdated rendering of PNC Tower):

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 11:44 PM

I said the Millcraft Gardens would block views PNC tower a few comments back, but I was stupidly mentally placing the Tower at PNC Plaza on the wrong side of Forbes. Like you say, from a part of Market Square there will still be some partially blocked views, but for the most part it looks like the Tower at PNC Plaza will be quite visible from most of the square. There is going to be quite a different view from Market Square in a few years when looking up Forbes Ave.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 1:26 AM

Between Three PNC and these two projects, Market Square is definitely going to feel much more "surrounded" by buildings.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 3:32 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Between Three PNC and these two projects, Market Square is definitely going to feel much more "surrounded" by buildings.
I know. It should feel "surrounded" by vertical urban development. It is surrounded by only a few "tall" buildings (3 PNC Plaza, One PPG Place to name a couple), but more tall buildings will really give it even more of a dense urban feel...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 4:14 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post

Developer: Market Square groundbreaking by midsummer

-$76.6 million office and hotel project by midsummer

-95,000 square feet of office space

-175-room Hilton Garden Inn hotel

-23,000 square feet of retail space

-325-space parking garage.

-hoping to have the office and retail portions open by December 2013
- the hotel by March 2014
Glad to see there's another hotel in the works for downtown. It could definitely use another hotel (or three, quite frankly!)

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 4:53 AM

I'm particularly glad it is a mid-priced chain.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 12:30 AM

Don't forget that McKnight is probably going to turn the top floors of the Oliver Building into a hotel too.

I would think that Hilton would still want to have a hotel in downtown too.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 1:15 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Don't forget that McKnight is probably going to turn the top floors of the Oliver Building into a hotel too.

I would think that Hilton would still want to have a hotel in downtown too.
Isn't the Doubletree going to have the Hilton name associated with it? According to the previous, someone posted that it would. Not to mention, I believe the hotel portion of the Gardens project is going to be a Hilton Garden Inn...

I still think Pittsburgh can have at least one additional high-end hotel. If Baltimore and St. Louis can have a Four Seasons and Cleveland a Ritz Carlton, then I think the Steel City could have either one of those two. Or, are the Omni and Renaissance chains also in the same category as Omni?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 1:42 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

A few comments:

1) Glad to see that the office project in Southside Works is going to finally happen. That ugly dirt lot by the hotel is sorely in need of being developed!

2) I'd say the Fairmont Hotel is very nearly equal in stature with the Ritz Carlton and/or Four Seasons, so Pittsburgh does have one luxury hotel already. Of course, I do see either a Ritz or (more likely) a Four Seasons probably coming to town in the next few years, especially if the economy of the region continues to improve.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 2:46 AM

I wouldn't have a problem with a Four Seasons or Ritz, but personally, I'd be more interested to see a couple upscale boutique hotels.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 3:29 PM

Don't forget that the Fairmont is very high end.

That said, it would be nice if downtown also had a Four Seasons, Ritz, or InterContinental as well and a nice boutique hotel.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 11:31 PM

Those are my sentiments. Sure, the Fairmont and Omni are high up there in terms of luxury, but they're not 5-star. They're close (4 or 4.5) but not quite. I thought the Fairmont would actually be the city's first 5-star hotel, but they gave it 4... I think Pittsburgh has a market for such a hotel. Maybe if they finally can secure financing for One Grandview, perhaps that could house the city's first 5-star hotel. Other mid-size cities have 5-star hotels, so why not the Burgh?

I haven't given botique hotels much of a thought, actually. Those would be a nice addition.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:20 AM

The removal of the stainless steel roof from the Civic Arena is almost complete. There are only a few thin strips remaining on the side facing the Hill District.

Men at work(a bit out of focus):

I posted two more pics of the roof on the Hill District Redevelopment thread. Since, I had my camera and the sky was a nice color from the onset of dusk, I figured I would take a few pics of some other buildings. I always liked this building front and center. I guess it is just the downtown post office?

The big guy:

I have always thought the BNY Mellon Client Services Center was a beautiful building. Came out a little dark in this shot but anyways here it is:

And lastly, the new home of the Pittsburgh Penguins tucked in behind Epiphany Catholic Church.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 3:32 AM

That's the US Post Office and Courthouse (mostly courthouse):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...,_Pennsylvania)

It is a notable "American Fascist" building (quite literally):

http://fatherpitt.wordpress.com/2010...rican-fascist/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations