HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 12:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They will probally appeal to business men/women for the nearby Chase or 1 JS Plaza. Port Authority as well. Always visitors.

Any sort of hotel near the PATH in general will be successful. Potential for lawyers as the County Court is nearby. So various clients in theory could get rooms there year round.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:29 PM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:32 PM

From Jersey Digs - new renders look FANTASTIC!!

https://jerseydigs.com/harborside-te...ransformation/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:04 PM

So they are(were) planning to secretly build at least four new towers too? Where will they fit them so close to the pier?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:16 PM

So the 3 on the left are Urby Harborside. The one in the middle is the existing Harborside 5 at 185 Hudson. The one on the left is Harborside 4... 1.2 million sqft of office space.

I'm already calculated the floor count for Harborside 4. The problem is it's a very large site. They could build a short stubby building at 20 floors and use the full 1.2 million sqft. Here's to hoping they only develop 1/3rd the site and leave the rest for a park. The first pic HINTS at that - it doesn't look like it's going to be short and stubby. Looks to have a slightly larger floorplate than the Urby buildings. The curves hints at something Libeskind or Foster would design.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:53 PM

Here is the current rendering of Harborside 4 from SJP Properties
http://www.sjpproperties.com/

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:39 PM

Oops, in my excitement I was really daydreaming or something but how could I miss that it was URBY all developed out and included Harborside 5. So this HAS to be a dramatic revision of Harborside 4... the one in the current plans looks nice but this curved beauty...wow! THAT is the eye catcher and the mystery here... maybe they're really planning something huge here to be part of the draw and something like that would be iconic for Jersey City, put an individual stamp on it. CIA, I'm sure you'll be on it any new info that you get an inkling of! It does look at least in the 700-800 ft range.

As for the Harborside Terminal rendering, it's going to look so good.... can't wait until they really start up on the exteriors and gets built out and becomes a must visit destination on our waterfront.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 5:44 PM

The CH Martin site is planned to be redeveloped into a 25 story tower with retail and/or restaurant uses on the ground floor and lower lobby level (connection to PATH?), office uses of floors 2-5, and rental apartments on floors to 6-25.

Frankly, I'm surprised it's only 25 floors.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post

The CH Martin site is planned to be redeveloped into a 25 story tower with retail and/or restaurant uses on the ground floor and lower lobby level (connection to PATH?), office uses of floors 2-5, and rental apartments on floors to 6-25.

Frankly, I'm surprised it's only 25 floors.
That official? I'm still very happy... another midrise when with several smaller developments going at least 14-18 stories and the Homestead Place and Central Avenue connection with Newark Avenue another 6 or 7 at 18-27 stories plus 2973 Kennedy Boulevard at 20 stories (and the already topped out 13 story 3 Journal Square Plaza) we have now quite the nice mixed mid/high rise skyline developing at JS and hopefully we can help convince the Harwoods to be a little bolder with height(already a nice 49/55 stories, but still..) with their Loews Art District two tower plan.

Plus the CH Martin development will open up another passage into PATH and line it with shops and restaurants... CIA I believed mentioned that there was an open passageway lined with shops from the 20s til the 70s and the streetlife killing opening of the new enclosed PATH terminal. Do you or anyone else have pics from that period to show what it lOoked like with the other open passageway?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
That official? I'm still very happy... another midrise when with several smaller developments going at least 14-18 stories and the Homestead Place and Central Avenue connection with Newark Avenue another 6 or 7 at 18-27 stories plus 2973 Kennedy Boulevard at 20 stories (and the already topped out 13 story 3 Journal Square Plaza) we have now quite the nice mixed mid/high rise skyline developing at JS and hopefully we can help convince the Harwoods to be a little bolder with height(already a nice 49/55 stories, but still..) with their Loews Art District two tower plan.

Plus the CH Martin development will open up another passage into PATH and line it with shops and restaurants... CIA I believed mentioned that there was an open passageway lined with shops from the 20s til the 70s and the streetlife killing opening of the new enclosed PATH terminal. Do you or anyone else have pics from that period to show what it lOoked like with the other open passageway?
Everything is official except for my speculation of the PATH connection. They have a lower lobby level, which will include possible retail uses. So my guess is that it makes sense for this to be a corridor below the street to PATH.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Everything is official except for my speculation of the PATH connection. They have a lower lobby level, which will include possible retail uses. So my guess is that it makes sense for this to be a corridor below the street to PATH.
The PATH connection is as good as official - the City Planning director told us that the City's policy is that *any* plan on this site would need to incorporate a PATH connection with retail as a condition for approval.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:42 PM

There is a lot of new projects that don't have a thread in the Highrises and Supertall Proposals forum. I'm thinking of getting all of the Jersey City ones above 12 floors added.

https://jerseydigs.com/jersey-city-d...ottage-street/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 5:52 PM

Thanks CIA.. great idea! Very excited about this project as it will really revitalize the Square with the passageway and aligned shops and restaurants even if it's only the 25 stories, will be a very vital cog right next to the Loews development. One thing kinda flummoxed me about 2973 Kennedy Boulevard... great project as it is with 20 stories according to Jersey Digs will have only 79 residences...will it be condo because you see something this size and think 200-300 units at least. A smaller number seems to indicate larger apartments and likely condo over rental.

And thanks Hamilton for confirming indeed that a PATH passageway/retail will be part of any redevelopment of the CH Martin site.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Thanks CIA.. great idea! Very excited about this project as it will really revitalize the Square with the passageway and aligned shops and restaurants even if it's only the 25 stories, will be a very vital cog right next to the Loews development. One thing kinda flummoxed me about 2973 Kennedy Boulevard... great project as it is with 20 stories according to Jersey Digs will have only 79 residences...will it be condo because you see something this size and think 200-300 units at least. A smaller number seems to indicate larger apartments and likely condo over rental.

And thanks Hamilton for confirming indeed that a PATH passageway/retail will be part of any redevelopment of the CH Martin site.
Good question - I have no idea. We really need more non-luxury condos here in Jersey City. The site is small, so 4 units a floor isn't too surprising. I imagine they'll be 2-bedroom units.

Anyone remember when this building was first announced? I was very excited. I still rate it right up there with Journal Squared in its importance for the area's redevelopment. It's going to set the tone for future mid-rises in Journal Square. The maximum height could have easily been 8, maybe 12 floors. Instead, JFK is going to have densities rivaling anywhere else in the county including New York City. The street will be very animated, and more retail options will follow.

The city has plans for a streetcar running on JFK. They're going to score really high if they ever pursue funding from FTA's New Starts grant program.
(1)40 percent of the population already takes transit to work
(2)the densities are already very high
(3) and the development potential from a streetcar would easily rate us #1 in justification for funding. So we'll see what happens.

Traffic is unbearable now. It's stupid to drive through the area, especially during peak hours. Transit upgrades must follow.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:45 PM

Hi citybooster, two things to consider are that the site is small so the floor areas are small, and that the first floor will have retail, and several of the floors above the retail will be office. All of that cuts down on the unit count.

By the way, interesting side note- according to the Census's American Community Survey, more than 75% of the renters that live in the census tract that includes Journal Square live in car-free households. Too many of these cars in these traffic jams are people coming in from the burbs and elsewhere in JC and mucking everything up.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:01 AM

Thanks CIA and Hamilton for the comments.... love the streetcar idea! Hope you're right CIA and it does get front of the line consideration. I hadn't thought about the office contigent to 2973 Kennedy Blvd plus as said the relatively small area of the building would cut down some on the density...especially should they go condo.

And with that survey it's just nuts anyone would defend building a lot more parking into the mid size and large scale towers especially being right by a number of public transportation options... bus, train and hopefully streetcars. Building up the transit infrastructure as the density of the population around Journal Square dramatically rises over the next 5-10 years is imperative but please, enough with the large scale parking garages! Who cares what the NIMBYs say... and credibility and intellectual consistency can't be a hallmark of their considerations for their neighborhood.. who in their right minds wants stifling congestion.. unbearable traffic in the neighborhoods they say they want to so much conserve?

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 3:48 AM

232-238 Sip Ave was approved unanimously by the Planning Board at 14 stories, 129 units.

There's a new proposal going before the Zoning Board for 400 Newark Ave (the building in white behind the tree is 380 Newark Ave, which is currently under construction):

It will need some variances from the Zoning Board. The proposal calls for 25 units in 7 stories (6 full stories plus a setback penthouse). 380 Newark was already granted similar variances, and goes up to 7 stories.

http://www.hpnajc.org/News/4791560

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:43 PM

Something is heating up in Newport

700 Washington Boulevard
construction of a mixed-use residential building to contain 338 residential units, 16490 sq. ft. of commercial space and associated amenities,

700 Washington Boulevard & 40 -14th Street
Maintain the existing Site Plan approval for this site knows as Site 8 of the North east
Quadrant, approved 11/2010 for 790 DU, 794 parking spaces, 15,000 sq.ft. commercial
space, waterfront walkway and surrounding roads. Extend the Final approval as
permitted by the NJMLUL and add temporary parking and bicycle storage for the new 338 DU building proposed at Block 7302, lot 3.09.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:46 PM

From 2010... let's hope there was a redesign

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_...es_left_column

Quote of the decade: "Leon Yost, senior commissioner on the Planning Board, said the project is really two towers and that he was “pleasantly surprised” by the architecture, which he credits to the design of the Toronto-based architecture firm Page and Steele."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations