HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
Oak City

RALEIGH_DURHAM | Projects & Development

This thread will contain updates of development news for the Triangle area of NC. I also regularly update the Charlotte construction thread located here.

Raleigh:

23 floor Skyhouse apartments

This will be the same design as the Skyhouse apartments under construction in Atlanta and planned for several other cities too.

This rendering shows the location of Skyhouse in downtown Raleigh, directly across from Moore Square park:

Source

The Edison

In the last rendering above you see a greenish building to the left of Skyhouse. That will be the site of The Edison office building. Plans have come and gone but the latest rendering is this:

Source

This 13 floor building would bring 225,000 sq. ft. of office space to downtown.

In addition, there is residential phase that is part of the Edison too:

Source

Charter Square

The Charter Square site had completed site prep and I believe foundations had been poured before work halted due to the recession. Now they are ready to proceed with completing an 11 floor building:

Source

This is a photo I took Dec. 2006 of the site (on the right) with a crane still in place before work was halted:

This building would also add 225,000 sq. ft. of office space downtown. The market is probably there for 225,000 but not 450,000. Most likely we could see either The Edison or Charter Square begin going up this year but maybe not both. I think we will see a bit of competition to see who can sign tenants before the shovels move. We'll see.

New 11 floor convention center hotel

Raleigh has been bidding for a new hotel adjacent to the convention center to be built on a empty city-owned lot. The proposal is for an 11 story hotel currently branded as a Residence Inn:

Source

Union Station

Headed to design phase is Raleigh's Union Station. To be located near the current Amtrak station, Union station will be the central stop for Raleigh's proposed commuter rail and light rail lines.

Source

Clarion Hotel renovations

The Clarion hotel has been bought and renovations are planned by the new owners who will re-brand the hotel as a Holiday Inn. It was originally a Holiday Inn when it was first built.

Photo by me.

227 Fayetteville renovations

This building is having major renovations done. How it looked this past year (the building in the foreground)

Photo by me.

How it will look after renovations:

Source

I'll add more to this list later.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 3:26 PM
Oak City

Durham updates:

11 floor Justice Center

This new building opened a couple of months ago.

Source

Possible 26 floor tower

Source

There are plans for a 26 floor, 424,000 sq. foot mixed-use tower with retail, office and condos planned for the old Woolworth site, which was purchased by developers last Nov.

Details

Capital Broadcasting building

The latest development around the Durham Bulls ballpark and the Durham Performing Arts Center. Located on the far left of this image I took:

View of the building on the right side of this image I took:

Details

5 floor urban housing

Source

Details

Durham-Chapel Hill light rail

Plans are moving forward on light rail but the process is slow - groundbreaking won't happen until 2020. The route is still being studied. Current map:

Source

Details

Last edited by initiald; May 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:24 PM
Oak City

Up date on Durham's 26 floor City Center building

The following images are from the proposal approved by the Durham City-County Planning Department and Durham Historic Preservation Commission which can be found here.

Construction is not expected to being before 2014. Also, and interesting tidbit - Durham has a downtown height limit of 300 feet.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 1:02 PM
Oak City

New rendering of The L building. This will be a mixed-use building (in an "L" shape) around an existing parking deck. It is located on the SW corner of W Davie St at S McDowell St in Raleigh.

"This mixed-use project will consist of 93 studio, 1, and 2 bedroom apartments and 8,000 square feet of office space above 10,000 square feet of ground floor retail.

Ground breaking is planned for this Fall with a project completion around Fall 2014."

Source

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 8:57 PM
Oak City

Kane plans 18-story office tower for Raleigh's North Hills Read more here: http://ww

Kane plans 18-story office tower for Raleigh's North Hills

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/19/2975021/18-story-office-tower-planned.html#storylink=cpy

This will be adjacent to the 17 floor Capital Trust tower in North Hills. North Hills is also known as Raleigh Midtown - a new (faux?) urban mixed use development along the 440 beltway.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 12:35 PM
Oak City

Architects offer first look at planned Raleigh Union Station

Source of images

Union station will serve as a station for future Amtrak high speed rail as well as regional commuter rail service and light rail.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by initiald; Jun 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:35 PM
Oak City

Charter Square Project Clears Hurdle

Quote:
The long-anticipated Charter Square project has passed an important milestone on its way to completion. Following a public hearing held during its July 9 meeting, the City of Raleigh Planning Commission voted unanimously to approve the project.

The 11-story building will be constructed on top of a City-owned underground parking lot at the south end of Fayetteville St., across from the Marriott Hotel. The construction site was acquired from the City for $5.28 million in November 2008.

The new building will provide 243,379 square feet of office space and 27,875 square feet of retail space. Charter Square LLC plans include construction of the building to the United States Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum standards.

Open-space requirements will be met by an 11,500-square-foot open pedestrian plaza located to the north of the new building.

Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2013. Completion is expected within 12 months of the start date. A second building is anticipated to be constructed on the north end of the site at an undetermined date.
Source

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 2:18 PM
Oak City

Raleigh's SECU building nearing completion

Photo credit Leo Suarez via Flickr

The SECU (State Employees Credit Union) building is nearing completion in downtown Raleigh.

Quote:
When the $45 million, 12-story building is completed in early 2013, it will have close to 76,000 square feet available for lease overlooking the state museums and government buildings along Salisbury and Jones streets.

The Salisbury Street building is expected to set a new bar for rental rates in downtown Raleigh, with rates starting at $30 a square foot. SECU is seeking gold-level LEED certification for the building based on U.S. Green Building Council guidelines.

Raleigh-based SECU, the nation’s second largest credit union with 1.7 million members and $23 billion in total assets, is building the 240,000-square-foot, glass-paneled mid-rise with money from its operations and using no debt, says SECU spokeswoman Leigh Brady.

Once complete, SECU will move about 80 of its financial advisory services employees into the building on the sixth and seventh floors.
Source

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:34 PM
Oak City

7 floor hotel proposed for NC State University.

Source

The Bell View Hotel will be on Hillsborough Street in Raleigh, across from the NC State bell tower. It will be owned by the university. The hotel will be 7 floors and have 125 rooms with two ground floor restaurant spaces.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 6:43 PM
Oak City

New renderings of Raleigh's Edison tower which breaks ground later this year:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 4:53 AM

Thanks for the continued updates, initiald!

Way overdue for a trip up there to see what would probably blow me away since my last visit...

I used to live on the hill above Crabtree off of Edwards Mill, but haven't been back in years. I feel like I need to be at a Moral Monday event, actually.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 2:46 AM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Thanks for the continued updates, initiald!

Way overdue for a trip up there to see what would probably blow me away since my last visit...

I used to live on the hill above Crabtree off of Edwards Mill, but haven't been back in years. I feel like I need to be at a Moral Monday event, actually.
There's a similar thing going on in the city like there is in Charlotte and Atlanta where downtown is finally starting to thrive and attract residential development. Glenwood South has become home to a lot of bars, restaurants and arts and breweries as well as restaurants have grown in the warehouse district in western downtown.

Crabtree is started to feel like a dated area. The new hot place is North Hills at I-440 and Six Forks. It is becoming like a smaller version of Atlanta's Atlantic Station.

Last edited by initiald; Jul 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:49 PM
Oak City

New signage atop the Red Hat Headquarters. After the merger between Duke Energy and Progress Energy, Red Hat occupied the former home of Progress Energy.

Source

Here's a photo I took of what it looked like as they were taking the signage off last year:

Old Posted Jul 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
Oak City

Crank Arm Brewery opens in downtown Raleigh

Source

Crank Arm is the 8th brewery to open in Raleigh, and the 3rd to open in Raleigh this year. The Triangle metro now has 22 breweries open with a handful more under construction and set to open this year.

Quote:
Co-founders Adam Eckhardt, Mike Morris and Dylan Selinger funded the venture through an online Kickstarter campaign earlier this year, during which the team raised more than $40,000 and gained nearly 500 backers.

The brewpub will offer two flagship beers - the Rickshaw Rye, a Rye India Pale Ale; and the White Wall Wit, an American Wit - with a seasonal rotation of four craft beers.

The team plans to incorporate its existing rickshaw business by taking customers on tours of the city and delivering beer to individuals, restaurants and bars in Raleigh.

Local deliveries will be made with rickshaws and what the team calls a “greasel” truck, which runs on waste vegetable oil.
Read more here

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 2:51 AM
Fourth and Main

I love the proposed building in Durham. It should look great on the skyline.

I thought Wake Forest University's 8-storey hotel and conference center (on the south end of Winston-Salem's downtown, away from their campus?) was the only university owned hotel in the state. Why do universities own hotels? It seems as if they would partner with a hotel near their campus for any hotel needs, rather than trying to operate their own.

It's good to see a thread for updates in the capitol!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2013, 6:04 PM
Oak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I thought Wake Forest University's 8-storey hotel and conference center (on the south end of Winston-Salem's downtown, away from their campus?) was the only university owned hotel in the state. Why do universities own hotels? It seems as if they would partner with a hotel near their campus for any hotel needs, rather than trying to operate their own.
Because money I guess? The ability to offer specials to VIPs without having to pay someone else out of pocket? Not sure. I think Johnson & Wales operates the Doubletree across from campus in Charlotte but might now own it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2013, 2:23 AM
Oak City

Aloft Hotel

This hotel will be on Hillsborough Street across from NC State's bell tower. I mentioned it previously when it was just refered to as "Bell View Hotel." It looks, from my understanding, that the university may own the property but Aloft will run it. New rendering:

Source

Carolina Ale House

Coming to the growing Glenwood South district adjacent to downtown:

Details.

New apartment construction brings change, debate to Raleigh’s Cameron Village

Quote:
As two apartment buildings rise along Oberlin Road, neighboring Cameron Village is in the midst of its biggest transformation since it opened in 1949 as the first shopping center between Washington and Atlanta.

Crescent Cameron Village and 401 Oberlin are expected to open this winter, bringing 532 new apartments and more than 20,000 square feet of new shops and restaurants. The influx of new residents will bring more pedestrian activity and more nightlife to the upscale shopping district.
Read more here.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 6:54 PM
Oak City

This sideways snapshot shows that site prep is beginning on Skyhouse Raleigh! Now we can have a generic midrise residential too!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:04 AM
Oak City

Rendering showing the location in the skyline of the under-construction Skyhouse apartments. The Raleigh skyline is very linear, running north and south. This will extend the skyline a little to the west:

Here is a construction webcam for Skyhouse Raleigh.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 3:40 PM
Oak City

I took some new photos of the Citrix headquarters construction in downtown Raleigh:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations