HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:29 PM
Cat Enthusiast

BIRMINGHAM, AL | Urban Renaissance & Construction

Birmingham, Magic City

Taken by briantmurphy on Flickr.

Taken by myself.

Considering the national attention Birmingham has recently received regarding the amount of activity occurring in its downtown, I felt it appropriate to begin a Compilation thread to detail the large and important projects that are under construction, approve/planned, or proposed.

Two recent (within the last few months) articles by the Associate Press and the New York Times have been two of the top contributers to the national attention noted in the above paragraph.

AP: Once dying, Birmingham is suddenly hot

NYT: A Return to Downtown Birmingham

The above articles only underscore the potential that many of us locally believe the city to have. As is mentioned in the NYT article, the city largely escaped the demolish and pave movement that saw many older buildings in downtown areas torn down to make way for parking lots or horrid architecture. Because of this, much of the activity seen in downtown Birmingham has been in the form of renovations and new construction that meshes well with, or takes advantage of, the gritty nature of the cityscape.

For more consistent updates on construction progress or smaller projects that would clutter up this thread, please feel free to check out the Birmingham Development News thread in the Southeast forum.

Now to begin the list of current projects that are under construction, approved/planned, proposed, or recently completed (mid-2012 or later). Starting with the more recent announcements/news. As of March 2013, REV Birmingham reported to Forbes that public/private investment in downtown totaled $938.7 Million.

Recently Completed

Westin Birmingham - DwnTwn-UPTOWN

Source: Starwood Hotels

The Westin Birmingham is located adjacent to the Sheraton Birmingham Hotel and the Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex. The addition of another hotel near the BJCC was a big goal for the city, as it would bring the total number of hotel rooms nearby the BJCC over 1,000.

The Westin Birmingham is also home to the Todd English P.U.B. which has two locations nationwide, the other being in Las Vegas.

Regions Field - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE

Source: Birmingham Barons

Regions Field is an 8,500 seat baseball stadium, completed this summer (2013), On the Southside of Birmingham and is home to the AA White Sox affiliate the Birmingham Barons, who moved to this new stadium from the B'ham suburb of Hoover.

29 Seven Apartments - DwnTwn-LAKEVIEW

Source: AL.com; Tamika Moore

$15 Million project home to retail (4 restaurants) on the first floor, and 54 apartments above.

Benjamin Russell Hospital for Children - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE-MEDICAL

Source: Children's of Alabama

Source: Children's of Alabama

LEED certified, 332 beds, 12 floors, 760,000 sqft.

Sloss Furnaces Visitor Center

Source: AL.com

$5.8 million, opened in Fall of 2012.

Iron City Music Hall - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE

Opened Feb 2013, 1,300 person capacity, $6 million.

Under construction/to be completed

Trinity-Grandview Medical Center - B'HAM-280

Source: NBC 13

Source: Business Alabama

$300 million, to be completed in 2016, will be the center of the Cahaba Center Business Park directly employing 5,500. Daniel Corp. has plans to construct a 200,000 sqft medical office building and 250 room hotel.

UAB Visual Arts Center - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE-UAB

Source: Tim City 2000

$12.5 million, to be completed by Oct 2013.

Uptown Entertainment District - DwnTwn-UPTOWN - WEBSITE

Source: Bayer Properties

Along Richard Arrington Blvd. So far, the restaraunt Texas De Brazil, South, Mugshots, Cantina Laredo, Octane Coffee Bar, and The Ivy are future tenants.

FUTURE I-22 / Interstate-65 Interchange - NORTH BIRMINGHAM

$168.8 million, 14 ramps, 14 bridges, 1.5 miles long, ties together Future I-22/I-65/US 31. Will open in late 2014, connecting Birmingham to Memphis.

Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Intl. terminal modernization

$201 million, upgrade Concourse C, new Concourses A and B, US Customs office, to be completed in 2014. LEED Silver certification anticipated.

Riverchase Galleria renovation - HOOVER

$60-90 million, Von Maur and Old Navy opening in Fall 2013, new (larger) Forever 21 location opened in Aug 2013, Wynfrey Hotel renovation and conversion to Hyatt Regency ($20 million). Announced 9/3/2013, Michael Kors and Cathy Jean will open stores in the mall. Announced 9/4/2013, Belk will invest in a renovation to make it's Galleria location a flagship store, giving Birmingham its second such location and Alabama its third. The Belk store will also soon hire 55 new employees.

Birmingham School of Law - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE

$3.5 - 4 million, 114 seat lecture hall, rooftop patio/meeting area.

Financial Center renovation - DwnTwn-CBD

$5 million

UAB Student Center - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE-UAB

Source: UAB

$48.5 million, to be completed by Fall 2015

Lyric Theatre restoration - DwnTwn-THEATER DISTRICT

Source: Lyric Theatre

Source: Time City 2000

Whitmire Lofts - DwnTwn-THEATER DISTRICT

LIV Parkside - DwnTwn-PARKSIDE

$30 million project, 6 floors, 228 apartments, adjacent to Railroad Park, 2,900 sqft of retail on first floor. To be completed by spring of 2015.

Booker T. Washington Building renovation - DwnTwn-THEATER DISTRICT

Source: Birmingham Biz Journal

The Parisian[/COLOR] - $7.5 million, plans call for 32 apartments, ground floor retail/dining, rooftop deck, and 163 space parking deck. Planned groundbreaking in November with the project finishing in late spring 2014. Went ahead and moved this one to under construction since it's only about a month away.[/COLOR]

Approved/Planned

L&N Parkside - Dwntwn-Parkside

6 floors, 129 apartments, 12,000 sqft of retail/restaurant space on first floor, 200 space parking deck attached, adjacent to Regions Field.

Five Points South Residential Tower

$40 million, 15 floors, upscale, main tower will have 223 apartments with adjoining parking deck surrounded by an additional 88 apartments.

Deck will include 525 spaces, building will include storage for 50 bikes.

VA Clinic/Parking Deck

$50 Million. 2,800 space parking deck. 70,000 square foot clinic. At the corner of 25th St South and University Blvd. Might as well be at the corner of Red Mountain Expressway and University Blvd South.

Pizitz Building renovation - DwnTwn-CBD

Grocery store/restaurant on the first floor with 145 apartment suites on floors 2-7. Previous proposals had a substantial amount of office space instead of residential space. Construction is expected to start early 2014 and be completed in 2016.

The Stockyard @ Railroad Park - Dwntwn-PARKSIDE

Crowdsourced development located adjacent to Regions Field. So far, only the name has been selected. Next, the public will vote on a design for the building on BirminghamsBuilding.com.

5 Points S - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE-5 POINTS SOUTH

2 new restaurants, $15 million Homewood Suites.

20/59 Downtown Viaduct - DwnTwn-CBD

Would replace the current elevated viaduct through downtown with a new elevated viaduct. The current proposal by ALDOT has drawn much criticism from the public, but the plan shows no signs of being changed.

University Flats - DwnTwn-SOUTHSIDE

$6.6 million project, 60 units near UAB, primarily marketed to grad students.

Lane Park - MOUNTAIN BROOK

$140 million project, multi-use, could potentially be partially delayed to 2019, though.

Downtown Inter-modal Facility - DwnTwn-CBD

$30 million project to combine passenger service for Amtrak, Greyhound, local buses, and potentially Megabus as well as provide a "farmers' market" type market. Construction should begin in Oct 2013.

Birmingham VA - DwnTwn

The VA has plans for a 60,000 sqft facility including a 2,000 car parking deck in the CBD.

LIV Birmingham_Additional Residential Development - DwnTwn-PARKSIDE

LINK to LIV's current, more solid project
A second project proposed by LIV Development to be constructed in the Parkside area on the Southside. Current plans call for a $30 million development with around 220 units (estimated based on my own evaluations).

Proposed

Thomas Jefferson Tower renovation - DwnTwn-CIVIL RIGHTS

20 floors, 306 units planned. Official costs and plans have not been released.

Stonewall Building renovation

Firestone Building - Dwntwn-SOUTHSIDE

Has been mentioned for possible redevelopment as a grocery store and apartments (potentially 30). Source: Birmingham Biz Journal

3rd Ave S/16th St S Apartments - DwnTwn-PARKSIDE

$33 million, 245 unit apartment project.

Rumored large apartment project in Parkside

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Dec 19, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 PM
Burming Hammer

awesome work!

the vibe in this city is so positive right now. the energy is palpable!

can't wait to keep updating this thread with newer and even bigger projects!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:26 PM
Everywhere all at once

AWESOME! Thank you for making a B-ham thread. I sometimes check the thread in the Southeast subsection but it'll be much easier to keep up on activity here. Birmingham has a rather large and impressive core for a city its size (population-wise). I would love to see it become more active and developed, thrive as Alabama's major city and evolve to become another central node of the Piedmont megalopolis.

And it wouldn't hurt to snatch the "state's tallest tower" title back from Mobile...baby steps

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:45 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
AWESOME! Thank you for making a B-ham thread. I sometimes check the thread in the Southeast subsection but it'll be much easier to keep up on activity here. Birmingham has a rather large and impressive core for a city its size (population-wise). I would love to see it become more active and developed, thrive as Alabama's major city and evolve to become another central node of the Piedmont megalopolis.

And it wouldn't hurt to snatch the "state's tallest tower" title back from Mobile...baby steps
You're welcome StatenIslander! Yea, compared to many other cities in the country, Birmingham's core is quite large and much of it is still occupied by the city's early 20th Century buildings. I'm glad we're seeing older buildings renovated instead of being neglected for the sake of building flashy buildings. I think it'll be nice to see the skyline in the future, a mixture of the older stone/masonry buildings with the newer glass-clad ones.

I too would like to see the state's tallest building back in Birmingham, but I imagine it might look a bit awkward if it were to be constructed in downtown because of where it would have to be constructed due to flight paths :/ Stupid flight paths...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 10:03 PM
Burming Hammer

yep, a lot of people probably don't realize that the CBD is directly in the flight path of BHM International. the tallest 4 towers are all capped out in the 400-450' range.

would love to see a tall or even supertall tower built, but it would have to be south of the tracks.

that's really the only "problem" with all this development... it's not manifesting itself in new towers. as quattordici said, there's great building stock to take advantage of. but to the average passerby on the interstate who doesn't experience the redevelopment at the street level, i can see where the current skyline looks a little tired.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 10:54 PM
The Salty Ham

Great start.

A new tower would be awesome but right now I am quite pleased with all the lights coming back on in the buildings already there. The Magic is coming back.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:08 AM

Great thread, and long overdue! Birmingham deserves all the attention it's getting lately.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:23 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Great thread, and long overdue! Birmingham deserves all the attention it's getting lately.
I agree 100%

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:23 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I'm glad there's a Birmingham thread on the main page now. Regions Field looks damn good! I might have to make a trip down to check it out in person.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:21 AM

Great start!

I have been waiting for a thread to pop up for Birmingham especially because of all the news I have heard of the downtown turn around. It has indeed been long over due.

I will be following this one from now on.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:15 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm glad y'all appreciate it! Just for s***s and giggles, just so you know, attendance for Birmingham Barons at Regions Field is the highest in the league (total and average). Their average attendance is over 1,000 greater than the closest franchise (Pensacola).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:46 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

The energy around Birmingham is getting pretty exciting.
I haven't felt this vibe in ten years.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 6:28 PM

Well, of course we've heard of Mobile a little while ago. I hope the entire state is making good business.

@ *BRAVO* That fantastic signature of yours is gorgeous, I love it. Let me say it again!

It's hard to compete with tacky.

Haha! people, that's precious.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 5:48 PM
Cat Enthusiast

2 new tenants announced for Uptown Entertainment District

LINK

Mugshots and Cantina Laredo will join the lineup in the spring of 2014.

Other joints slated for the district which are under construction are:

Texas de Brazil (opening spring 2014)
The Ivy
South (opening this fall)
Octane Coffee Bar (opening in September)

The addition of Mugshots and Cantina Laredo brings the total number of restaurants, bars, pubs, etc... to 7 in the district with only one slot remaining.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 1:18 AM

Birmingham is pretty sweet. While it's not my top choice, it's on my short list of places to relocate to if I ever do decide to move to a new city.

"Na'isha - Our people" - Plains Apache / Apache Tribe of Oklahoma

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 2:33 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Birmingham is pretty sweet. While it's not my top choice, it's on my short list of places to relocate to if I ever do decide to move to a new city.
Thanks Sharkey! While Birmingham isn't at its apex, it definitely has a strong foundation to build upon.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 7:56 PM
Burming Hammer

downtown is hopping this weekend!

sidewalk film festival, taste of 4th ave jazz festival, revival music fest... all within a few blocks. can only imagine if the barons were in town too.

here's a small one to add to the list... it's in the theatre district:

http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf...r_alabama.html

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 2:15 AM
Burming Hammer

add this one to "under construction":

$19 Million U.S. Treasury Building

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingha...-approval.html

i drove by the site this evening... it's still dirt, but construction signs/fences are up.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:32 PM

$30 million apartment, retail project to be built across from Railroad Park

One of the rumored developments around Railroad Park just got announced:

$30 million apartment, retail project to be built across from Railroad Park via al.com

Quote:
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama – A $30 million, six-story apartment and retail project across from the Birmingham Railroad Park got the green light today to start the development with plans to be open the first quarter of 2015.
LIV Parkside will have 228 apartments along First Avenue South between 17th and 18th Streets, facing the $19 million Railroad Park and one block from the new $64 million Regions Field. The project will also include 2,900 square feet of retail space at its two northern corners and the project will be built atop a two-level parking deck.
Quote:
The Birmingham Design Review Committee gave preliminary approval to LIV Parkside’s site plan and concept but took issue with some of the design elements calling them “too suburban” or more fitting for somewhere in Florida than in downtown Birmingham.
Here's the current rendering (click the link for a large picture):

http://media.al.com/business_impact/...38ffa8b548.jpg

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 7:26 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5405 View Post
One of the rumored developments around Railroad Park just got announced:

$30 million apartment, retail project to be built across from Railroad Park via al.com

Here's the current rendering (click the link for a large picture):

http://media.al.com/business_impact/...38ffa8b548.jpg
Gah, you beat me to posting it! Haha, I'll update the main list later today. Great news for the area round Railroad Park. I'm glad this project won't be short. If I read the article correct, it's 6 floors on top of a two floor parking deck? Does that mean it's 8 floors, or is the deck considered part of the 6?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations