HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 5:39 AM
Fourth and Main

From what I've heard, Linden Center is technology office space for Wells Fargo and is a Fortune 100 anchor for downtown's IQ District. It's a perfect fit for a research and technology district. What I find interesting, it was originally a 1971 warehouse and was renovated into tech office space in 1997 (one of the IQ District's early adaptive reuse projects). The ceilings were so high, they were able to move the floors up or down, so they could add another floor to the building! It's a beautiful building, by Walter Robbs. I think it's a great view from Plant 64 Lofts too.

B/E Aerospace Engineering Development Lab: (New to this thread)
Do you want to see something awesome? This is a jet sled under construction! Yes, a jet sled! They have to build this first and the building will be constructed around it.

Credit: West & Stem

National Center for Design Innovation:
Moving slowly in the IQ District. These images are old, but still very interesting and I wanted to share them. We really haven't seen much of the CDI. This will be an awesome addition for arts and technology businesses in the city.

You can see a few of the city's skyscrapers in this image:

Credit: CJMW

I think this is a Motion Capture Room?

Flywheel:

Credit: WFIQ

Voting Rights:
A preliminary federal hearing on the state's voter ID law is being held in the U.S. Courthouse at the Ward Federal Building in downtown Winston-Salem. This brought the Moral Monday protests to downtown Winston-Salem. These protests often attract people from all 100 counties in the state. If you're in Winston-Salem this week, be sure to explore some of the new developments and as always, take construction photographs for our thread, if possible.

New Signage at Delurk Gallery:
I love this new sign on Sixth Street, at Delurk Art Gallery.

Credit: DWSP

Plant 64 Lofts:
This is the other side of the power plant at Plant 64 Lofts. The photograph is labeled as a sunny yoga studio will open in this building on July 23! #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: Plant 64 Lofts

National General Insurance Building:
Workers are now moving into this building. I found a great collection of photographs, showing the construction, at West & Stem.

More Jobs:
Mullen Advertising Agency has added a major account (ULTA) and is talking about the long term need to add more jobs at their downtown office, in the Republic Mutual Insurance Building (Park Building).

Awesome July 4th Weekend:
If you weren't downtown over the weekend, you missed-out. People from over 31 countries became U.S. citizens at the naturalization ceremony, around 100 bands was too much for a transformer downtown, and did Winston-Salem really have a big-wheel race downtown?

Something interesting: Winston-Salem has one of only 10 surviving copies of the first printed edition of the “Star-Spangled Banner,” published in 1814 by Thomas Carr. It's a little different than the song we sing today. I'm continually amazed by what is in this city!

Hotel Monaco:
Construction workers are already working on this building! I think we can move this to construction! This will be a $63 million project that will fully gut the building's interior and rebuild the inside with the latest in technology. The beautiful lobby is in perfect condition and really needs no work. It's described as already looking like a upscale hotel by Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants. The original owner kept guards at the desk and maintained it, while it was for sale. Joe Long, CIO of Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, said “Of all the buildings we have ever looked at for an adaptive reuse project, and we have done 15 so far, there has never been a building in as pristine a condition and as well cared for as this building.” The building’s art deco fixtures and features had been maintained to a high degree not seen in other buildings. Remember, this building was selected by architects nationwide in 1965 as the best preserved Art Deco building. Kimpton has hired Pennsylvania-based Strada Architecture as the hotel's renovation architect. It should open in Fall 2015. Yes, we should make a big photography post for this building!

The company wanted the tallest building south of Baltimore and the best skyscraper in the world. They had the money to do it too. This building is one of the city's wow projects, which shows the amazing wealth this city had at the peak of the American Industrial Revolution! The company traveled to NYC, the capitol of skyscrapers, in 1926 to find an architect and selected Shreve, Lamb, and Harmon. This building was a success, winning the 1929 National Association of Architects "Building of the Year Award," as the best skyscraper built in 1929! One of the things I love about this building: It is designed to be viewed from all angles. It's also all Indiana Limestone on all sides. The building's restoration in 1982-1984 won a 1984 AIA Honor Award.

Proposed Conference Rooms / Ballrooms: Marble from Missouri, France, and Belgium.
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...4016.image.jpg
Credit: David Rolfe - JournalNow

Credit: Camel City Dispatch

Wood Ceiling, finished with gold and silver filament, imported from Europe, by the Rambusch Decorating Company: (This company also worked on the Waldorf-Astoria hotel)
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...0f33.image.jpg

Like Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants said: It does have the appearance of a luxury hotel!

Benedict Metalwork: This is not brass. This is an irreplaceable material! It hasn't been manufactured in decades!
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...dcf3.image.jpg

The irreplaceable Benedict Metal is made from copper, tin, lead, zinc, and nickel. The newspapers and even Kimpton Hotels is reporting this as brass. It is not brass.

The Art Deco light fixtures are original:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...383c.image.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...358c.image.jpg

In addition to the mural above, there is also glass art from famed glass sculptor Abbe. These glass panels were taken down to protect them.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...12e3.image.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...b69a.image.jpg

Source

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...aaa9.image.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...81fe.image.jpg

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 4:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 7:19 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Sweet baby Jeebus that's an awesome ground floor interior for the R.J. Reynolds Building. We have our own Art Deco tower gem where I live, but the architect went in an entirely different direction with it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:15 AM
Fourth and Main

The Rambusch Decorating Company designed the interiors for many of New York City's awesome upper-end movie theatres, churches, and performance halls back then. Until recently, only company employees had ever seen the interior, which was closed to the public in 1982, when other tenants were pushed out and the ground floor retail establishments were closed and converted to company museums/lobby space. Now, we can finally see what we've only read about or only seen through the windows along the sidewalk. Rambusch's work is fine art and I'm not aware of any other buildings they worked on in the south? Most of their work is in the northeast. This award-winning building helped Shreve Lamb and Harmon win the contract to design the Empire State Building, which is said to be based on this design?

The upper floors are also said to have marble elevator lobbies? I've also read the building has green veined white Vermont marble restrooms. If those marble restrooms are still in place, what will a hotel and residential development do with them? Are they required to save them (again, if they are still there) by the National Park Service?

Atlantic Capital Headquarters:
Interior rendering for Atlantic Capital's office space in the building, from Steele Group architects, shared by Frank L. Blum Construction. This is the new construction building at Fourth and broad.

Credit: Frank L. Blum Construction

Interior Construction for The Winston-Salem Foundation's office space in the Atlantic Capital Building (below):

Interior Construction for shared building amenities in the Atlantic Capital Building (below):

Bailey Park @ East End:
Moving from grading to going vertical with an actual structure at the park! This is an update, posted by appsdeacs, at WSTB. appsdeacs posted several different views at WSTB. I'll post the construction image showing the footings for the restrooms/office/storage building in the Food Truck Courtyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsdeacs
Flywheel: BUILT
This project is officially completed! Visit Flywheel and sign-up for your co-work membership today!

Herbalife Building:
We are so close to completion on this building. It could be completed as soon as this month! The company has already hired 290 employees and is still hiring! Some of the jobs they are filling are information technology, senior developer, chemists, microbiologists, associate scientists, research and development, applications analysts, and engineering. If those jobs interest you, visit the Herbalife Open House this Friday at 10 a.m., on Temple School Rd.,. If you have prior experience in the pharmaceutical industry, that could help you gain a job here. This building will become home to part of the company's headquarters operations, as well as the company’s global technical operating center and its laboratories. There are plans for a significant future expansion, so this building could reappear on our construction list again in the future.

Hotel Monaco:
Relocating shared systems among the two buildings to construct pool and amenities.

Credit: Blue Ridge Fly Fisherman

Jon Kuhn Studio Renovation:
It appears as if the ground floor of Jon Kuhn's studio will become a restaurant. Permits were pulled, but no real details at this time. What are the plans for the upper floors? Apartments?

Mast General Store & The Village Lofts:
The Mast General Store Apartments are now officially known as The Village Lofts. I think Mast General Store is expected to open in Spring 2015 on the two lower floors? Talk about a big store! Since we haven't seen an update on this project at SSP, I'll post a massive photography update with the latest images found!

Credit: The Village Lofts

IQ District Update: Big Announcement? Maybe?
Tuesday, July 15th, Dr. Eric Tomlinson and The Innovation Quarter will share information on their expansion plans! Could it be an update on Wake Forest University moving their medical school to downtown's IQ District or could it be the massive entertainment center at Bailey Power Plant starting construction soon? Maybe both? It could also be something else? A mixed-use parking deck or their new site plan or a 12-13 storey highrise, as examples? I guess we will see happens? I'm excited!

Last edited by Matthew; Jul 10, 2014 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:36 PM

Patton Building mural finds new home in Arts District parking deck. It was always one of the more striking pieces on Cherry St. The building's upgrades to house a smoothie shop caused the painting to be taken down. Its now tucked away but still within the creative district of downtown.

image by DWSP.

Here is the location of the 2-floor Crossfit Gym and Reebok store on Liberty Street.
http://www.toptiercrossfit.com/facility/

image by Twincity

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 5:13 AM
Fourth and Main

50 West Fourth Apartments:
An update, taken 7-14-2014, for this apartments and retail project. I'm guessing they will custom order new replacement windows for this building?

Source

Winston Mutual Insurance Building: BUILT
Renovation work is completed on this mid-century modern structure and the building will open "almost" fully leased. There is still about 6,000 square feet available. If you're interested in space in this building: (336) 724-1715. The city is conducting preliminary work to get the Winston Mutual Building on the National Register of Historic Places. They also plan to designate it as a local historic landmark, which should provide tax savings. Winston Mutual was an African-American owned insurance company and a developer in the city. If I remember correctly, they developed an upscale African-American neighborhood in the city in the 1920s, called Alta Vista, as an example of their development work.

Engineering Office
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...dbc1.image.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...831e.image.jpg

Old Dominion Headquarters:
Old Dominion will expand their headquarters so they can double their total number of employees in the office to over 1,100. I'm just guessing this will expand their office building to over 300,000 square feet? Old Dominion is a $2.4 billion (revenue) headquarters and employs over 15,000 people nationwide.

1814 Salt-Flax House:
Time for an update on the restoration of this 200 year old house. According to the contractor, the house was built in 1814. Thank you to Wilson-Covington for sharing these updates.

Installing new floor joists:

Source

New foundation (they will waterproof the basement!):

Source

Did this house have tube and knob wiring?

Foothills Brewing:
Foothills Brewing will soon start work on a second tap room and create an indoor/outdoor destination for beer tourists. The destination will include an area for food trucks, live music and bocce ball. The brewery is also starting a running club. Foothills is among the most popular breweries in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. Beer tourists will be able to tour the brewery, taste different beers at the tap room, play games and more. Walter Robbs is the architect and no general contractor is selected at this time. The project will be completed by first quarter 2015.The brewery is also adding several additional 300-barrel fermenters next week.

LDSI Office and New Jobs:
A land surveying company has opened an office in the Winston-Salem area and they are hiring. LDSI specializes in commercial and residential surveying, GIS, and underground utility locating work.

Plant 64:
Indoor basketball court inside Plant 64's Power Plant. This should open at the end of next week?

Credit: Plant 64 Apartments

Painting work is finished at Plant 64's water tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhpmi @ WSTB
Krispy Kreme 77th Birthday Party:
I noticed their birthday party was held in the Brookstown Neighborhood, at the former railyard. Are the street festivals expanding to this area or did Winston-Salem have too many festivals/events to hold this in CBD? Winston-Salem is actually gaining national recognition for its ability to, as they say, stack festivals/events in a single day. This past weekend had a variety of things to do, from Second Sundays to Pole Vaulting in the Streets to Krispy Kreme's Birthday Party to a farmers' market to Summer on Trade to the Downtown Jazz Series. Talk about a busy weekend of events! So many great reasons to invest in downtown or move downtown.

Krispy Kreme's Birthday Party is an international event. The people below are from Cyprus, Sweden, and Albania:

Credit: Krispy Kreme

I love the Winston-Salem Southbound Railway Station (background of photograph above)! It's now offices and a restaurant space.

I think Krispy Kreme has more restaurants in other countries than they have in the United States, so I guess it's not unusual to see people travel from other countries to attend this event?

Krispy Kreme Birthday Party in Brookstown Neighborhood:

Credit: Krispy Kreme

Pole Vaulting in the Streets:
Winston-Salem has many street closing festivals. One of the more interesting of these festivals is Pole Vaulting in the Streets. This event takes place from 10 in the morning until late at night. They have nice crowds for this event. It's now on my list of events I would like to see.

Source

Source

Credit: Camino Bakery

Innovation Quarter:
It does appear as if a big announcement will be made later this morning. Someone at WSTB, who works in the IQ District, said we could hear news today the downtown medical school will start construction in possibly a few weeks.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:33 AM
Fourth and Main

It wasn't just one big announcement made on Tuesday. It was several! Where do we begin? One person at WSTB attended the discussion and another at WSTB received an update through their condo's HOA, which is located beside the medical school project. No newspapers or TV news covered this?

Wake Forest University Downtown Medical School: #CityOfAdaptiveReuse
We've waited for it and now finally... here it is! The downtown medical school! Workers could start on this project in just 8 weeks! It will include spaces for a few other businesses. I'm guessing retail will be included in that space? The building will have a medical library and classrooms for first and second year medical students. It's a renovation of the last vacant industrial building in the IQ District! All buildings after this one will be new construction! Projected completion is set for Spring 2016. BioMedRealty Trust and their subsidiaries will renovate and own the building. They are a major developer and property owner in all 11 Innovation Districts nationwide. I think they are the largest property owner in the city in both total value of all property owned and square footage? This is expected to be BioMedRealty Trust's largest project in Winston-Salem, at over 330,000 square feet. Downtown's IQ District could have around 2,000 students when this building opens?

Massive "U-shaped" building to be renovated into a medical school:

Bailey Power Plant:
This project will also move forward at the same time, with construction expected to start in possibly 8 weeks and workers will complete it in Spring 2016. It will include the SciWorks museum and planetarium, which will be the largest tenant in the entertainment project. BioMedRealty Trust is the developer and will own & manage the property, which will include everything from restaurants/bars to a bowling alley to a movie theatre to a performance hall. They expect their power plant development to become the entertainment hub for downtown. One of the previous posts in this thread will tell you everything that is proposed in it. They may fly drones into the smokestacks today, for their first detailed look inside them.

Credit: Urban Mez

Bailey Park @ East End:
BioMedRealty Trust views their investment in this nearly 2 acre park as enhancing their properties, which so far seem to surround this park. It's amazing how fast this company can build a park! They will complete Bailey Park @ East End in the middle of October of this year. Events to be scheduled at the park could include concerts, speaking series, salsa lessons, book clubs, and fitness events/classes.

Something to think about:
The Power Plant, Future Medical School, and Pepper Building are the last of the big vacant structures in the heart of downtown, if I'm not mistaken. Renovation work is now expected to begin on all three, possibly in the next 8 weeks! And with this in mind, we can expect new construction.

Rails to Trails - The Bicycle Superhighway:
This project is moving forward, with select demolition, but it's being completely redesigned! With BioMedRealty more involved, it seems everything is getting upgraded. They have no trouble contributing the money to do it too. They are telling everyone to think big and go bigger. This redesign could delay the next phase of the project until next year?

North District Phase II:
This is the part of the IQ District that was cleared, graded, grided, and prepared for new construction development. BioMedRealty Trust and their subsidiaries will tell you this is their favorite of the 11 Innovation Districts they work on. It's also the fastest growing in the nation. They have reminded everyone in Winston-Salem they also build new construction buildings. As we've seen at Philadelphia's University City, they also do residential developments too! This part of Winston-Salem's IQ District is unique, compared to the site offerings at the other innovation districts. This is a 28 acre collection of ready-to-go sites for new construction. Everything is new and it presents a blank-slate opportunity to build a dense urban neighborhood in downtown that is centered on research & technology. This is where the new construction 12-13 storey building is proposed. They expect to build at least 4 million square feet of tech company office space on these 28 acres, starting with that signature headquarters tower, along with apartments, retail, park spaces, a streetcar, and maybe a hotel. According to the latest update, they expect to have these 28 acres fully built-out in just 15 years or less! Work could begin as early as next year and they are in contact with potential tenants already. Ayers Saint Gross will release the final site plan at the end of this year, showing how these 28 acres will be developed for state, regional, national, and international marketing. The people working on this are awesome! BioMed Realty wants all of this construction work and they are pushing for bigger and better everything. They are telling locals involved in this they are thinking too small and must go bigger! I would say we should throw-out any previous renderings and plans for these sites. They are redesigning all of this!

525@Vine:
I know it's built, but appsdeacs @ WSTB posted an update, showing new signage. I thought our viewers here may want to see it. I made these smaller, for our photograph/rendering intensive thread. If you want to see the larger full-sized images, go there and let that poster know you like the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsdeacs @ WSTB

RAI Acquires LO:
This is one of the biggest business news stories of the week. Reynolds American, which is Winston-Salem's second largest headquarters, is buying out a neighboring competitor in a deal that could make it the city's largest headquarters? It's also expected to result in more jobs for Winston-Salem over the next 1-3 years. RAI should join the Fortune 250 list? This is also the largest acquisition by a company led by a woman (CEO Susan Cameron).

Big Winston Market:
DWSP had this photograph of Black Mountain Chocolate's new downtown headquarters, retail store, and visible factory in Big Winston Market! Who is ready to visit!

Glade @ West End: #CityOfAdaptiveReuse
Great update in one of the city's indy weeklies on the conversion of an old YWCA into residential units:

Credit: City Beat

1834 Nissen Wagon Works:
This unusual star-shaped smokestack, at the Nissen Wagon Works, was built in 1834! Nissen became famous for having the best wagons, during the Civil War, and quickly became the nation's top wagon manufacturer. At the company's peak, in 1874, its factory complex covered over 600 acres of land and employed hundreds of people. Nissen closed its doors in 1948.

Credit: Urban Mez

More Apartments?
Apartment company Chaucer Creek Capital has purchased a small former industrial building in the former Hanes Textile Complex downtown. This building is located beside The Gallery Lofts, which they also purchased. This could be our next apartment development downtown? No information at this time as to what their plans are for the building. Chaucer Creek Capital would be a new apartment developer to downtown Winston-Salem.

Tour de Frank:
Will you be in Winston-Salem this weekend? Do you want free stuff for eating hotdogs? This sounds like fun! If you're at any of these restaurants, take advantage of this. If you're new to Winston-Salem or visiting from out-of-town and want to take part in it, Airtype Downtown is located on Burke Street. Burke Street will also host Last Friday Street Party next weekend, with beer and food trucks! You may want to visit that too!

Credit: Airtype

Wake Forest University Medical Center:
WFUBMC is ranked #2 in the state and is the #1 cancer hospital in North Carolina, according to US News & World Report. Winston-Salem's Comprehensive Cancer Center, with their beautiful new high-rise building, is actually among the nation's top 20 best cancer centers.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:04 AM

Matthew, thank you so much for this thread.

Although I never comment, I totally enjoy it. Winston-Salem is one of the nicest city's in the States, and really does fly under the radar.

The widespread creative re-use of industrial buildings is absolutely amazing.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 3:02 PM

Arts & Innovation.

I love this view from Traders Row of the Arts District and the IQ.

image from http://www.trulia.com/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinCity View Post
Arts & Innovation.

I love this view from Traders Row of the Arts District and the IQ.

image from http://www.trulia.com/
Yeah, that is beautiful! Thanks for posting it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:40 AM
Fourth and Main

Wow! Great photograph, TwinCity! That appears to be from IMG College's new headquarters, which also has luxury condos on the top floors? IMG College is the nation's largest college sports marketing company. You may hear their name while following your favorite college sports team on TV or radio or see their name on a video game. The building's lobby is a basketball court. I love the views from these buildings. Here are a few interesting rooftop views I found today:

One West Fifth Condos:

Source

District Bar & Grill:

Credit: District Rooftop Bar & Grille

Credit: District Rooftop Bar & Grille

1834 Nissen Wagon Works:
A public hearing will be held for the bond package on August 4th.

Link Apartments:
They are heavily advertising to the ballpark crowd. It doesn't tower over the ballpark, like I expected it to. The side fronting the ballpark is actually the shortest side. These are very nice and being able to cross the street to attend a game is awesome! I highly recommend these apartments! When the streetcar system is in place, it will have a stop near the building, making the entire core and all three major employment centers easily accessible. These apartments should bring use to the ballpark's north entrance too.

I love seeing more color in the apartments downtown!

Bailey Park @ East End:
Likely the biggest update of the week! Steel is rising at Bailey Park! This is a building designed for restrooms, storage, and offices. It will be located in the middle of a food truck courtyard.

They will only complete the northern third of the park in mid-October. Bailey Park will be completed in two phases. This will allow us to revisit Bailey Park for more construction updates in the future. I'm guessing they need the south end of the park to stage construction for the power plant and medical school? If that is so, then we know Bailey Power Plant and the Medical School will both likely start renovation work in mid-or-late October? That is very exciting!

Credit: Flywheel Co-work

It's topped-out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsdeacs @ WSTB

rmhpmi posted several photographs of this building at WSTB. I'll only share one. You can view the others there and let him know you enjoyed the updates.

Quote:
Next Generation Gigabit Network:
AT&T has a list of businesses and sites that have signed up to be connected to the GigaPower all fiber network they are building in Winston-Salem. It's great to be in a city with research and technology companies. I would like to try this! Be sure to contact them and let them know, if you're interested in gigabit internet for your home or workplace. I think they are saying it's 10 times faster than Time Warner Cable?

Flywheel:
I know it was completed a week or two ago, but I love these tech company spaces! Contact them about joining or taking a tour of their space: (336) 231-0227

I like the basketball court! I wish my employer would install a basketball court in our office!

Don't forget to visit this summer:
We would love to see you in Winston-Salem! This is the actual visitors center, in a former industrial building built in 1880, and it's next door to a hotel, in a former industrial building built in 1838. A Thomas Edison designed substation, from the 1880s, is also across the street, which I think is now a residence. #CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Source

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 5:12 AM
Fourth and Main

It's been almost a week since the last update (I was too busy to post an update), so expect a massive update today!

Central Library:
The Central Library in downtown is closing on October 1st for two years. It will be completely rebuilt, preserving some parts of the original Streamline Moderne structure. If you live downtown and need to use the library, they will open a small temporary branch downtown for their genealogy and historical volumes during construction. This is not an adaptive reuse project, because it will remain a library.

Credit: WUNC 91.5

It's qualifies for the National Register of Historic Places, depending on what type of renovation the county is considering. It still has the original wood doors with gold lettering on the windows. It was the best library in the state, when it opened, and was the first in North Carolina to have audio/video items and special rooms for them. This building also included an art museum/gallery when it opened. It led to a large Southeast regional library conference being held in Winston-Salem that year to see it. It will be interesting to see what is preserved, what is reclad and if anything is demolished. The 1979 wing is an ugly brutalist addition (not worth saving / not a good example of the style) and should be reclad or demolished. I would love to see it reclad.

New Apartments/Condos at the Gallery: New Project!
More details are emerging about Chaucer Creek Capital's plan for the vacant industrial building they purchased last week. It appears as if they will demolish the 1-storey warehouse and replace it with a larger new construction building on the half-acre lot. According to the developer, the existing building is in bad condition and isn't historic. We could see 35 residential units in the proposed building. I'm guessing it would have parking under the building, due to the small lot size? No word on if they will be condos or apartments. This developer is expecting rapid growth in research and technology jobs downtown over the next 10 years and wants to take advantage of that. His company also bought an 8-storey downtown apartment building with 82 units at a price high enough to capture everyone's attention. This developer is serious and I'm excited about what is planned here!

Building to be demolished for new apartment building:

New Stickers:
Show your love for the Camel City with these new stickers from Twin City Hive. Twin City Hive is located in the Brookstown area, near the 1880s Thomas Edison flatiron Substation. If you're visiting and your hotel is the 1838 Brookstown Inn, Twin City Hive is across the street.

Credit: Twin City Hive

Bailey Power Plant:
This is a look at the power plant's proposed boardwalk area. This is the area where the railroad tracks are currently located that once fed coal to this industrial beast! It will soon become a place to eat outside and enjoy the nice weather, to walk, or a place to buy something from an open air market. It's a great update from RiA, a software developer headquartered in downtown's IQ District, near the power plant. If you have an update, share it on social media and I'll find it and credit you or your business! We are always thankful for updates!

Credit: RiA Solutions Group

Semans Arts Library:
A lot of library updates today. How close is it to completion?

July Update!

Credit: Semans Library

An older image from April I don't think I posted?

Credit: Semans Library

Civic Plaza:
I do see a construction fence and dirt piled-up! Something is happening at Civic Plaza! Maybe this is telling us the Pepper Building is also about to start and the city needs to at least start some work on the underground deck with city park and amphitheatre?

Source

1919 South Main Street:
Restoration of an historic property in the historic Washington Park Neighborhood.

Credit: State OMB

Credit: State OMB

Plant 64 Lofts:
The little power plant does have an indoor basketball court, which I think is on the second floor? It was planned to have a cafe, but I'm not sure if that is still in the plans? Did you know the brick wall on the east side of the 1922 power plant was the proposed location of a never-built expansion? The brick wall was expected to be temporary! After buying the Bailey Power Plant from the Bailey Brothers in 1924, they didn't need to expand this power plant. For those who want to know, this building did have a smokestack. It was removed at some point. The fitness rooms/basketball court on the top floor have high ceilings and raised skylights, which should be awesome!

The building with the water tower is actually two buildings! The west side, facing the railroad tracks, was built in 1916! It was later expanded to the east in 1923 or 1924? This building will have indoor light wells on the top three floors. I think they will cut into those floors along the hallway and use one old elevator shaft as a light well too! If you're on the fifth floor, in the hallway, you can look down at the floors below! What is really awesome about this building is the penthouse. The structure on the roof, below the water tower, in the renderings is actually the largest apartment in the entire Plant 64 complex and by far the most awesome! It's around 2,444 indoor square feet, with three bedrooms, walk-in-closets in all three bedrooms, a big dining room that is larger than the master bedroom, a spiral staircase will take you to your own private rooftop deck, and the elevators take you to your own private hallway, which leads to a massive foyer, where you step down into a big living room, which is also larger than the master bedroom! I think it's unit 1601, if you're interested? Construction on this building should be completed in December.

The Art Grottos:
Do you need downtown gallery space on North Trade Street? The Art Grottos are still under construction, but will soon be available to artists. Call (336) 782-9209. The building is historic and appears well located.

Atlantic Capital Headquarters:
rmhpmi posted several updates on WSTB a few days ago. If you like them, tell him!

Quote:
Another update on WSTB from rmhpmi.

Quote:
Raymond Loewy Building:
Restoration of an historic upscale department store from the 1920s. Yes, that Raymond Loewy: The Father of Streamlining. At the peak of his career, the work he did on this building appeared in a major magazine and can be seen in the Library of Congress photography collection. To hire Raymond Loewy in the 1940s, to update their store, you know this was a major upscale department store.

Credit: Jason Thiel

ZSR Library:
I've wanted to post on this project for a long, long, time, but I would forget when it was time to make the update post. Today I remembered! This is an historic building, designed by the famed Jens Frederick Larson. Jens Frederick Larson fell in love with Winston-Salem and moved to this city and moved his architecture firm to Winston-Salem too. Workers should complete this project very soon.

We'll start on the 8th floor, which is being updated to create a space that is conducive to high tech work.

Credit: ZSR Library Gazette

Brick wall to be demolished!

This (below) will become an employee lounge:

This area (image below) will become a conference room!

New Atrium Flooring:

Atrium Flooring Test Area:

New 7-storey Atrium Windows:

Bailey Park @ East End:
rmhpmi posted a big update on this new park at WSTB, over a few days. As usual, I'll post a few images from that update. If you want to see the others, you can visit the thread on that forum and thank him for the update.

Quote:

Film Production Design Facility: New To This Thread!
I just discovered this project! The architect is Deborah Berke & Partners (this firm worked on 432 Park Avenue in New York City). The building is for set design and construction, animation, and gaming and includes drafting studios, molding and modeling shops and studios, and advanced graphic studios. Winston-Salem is The City of Arts & Innovation!

LGBT Events:
Don't forget to attend the Pride Winston-Salem Mixology: A Cocktail Competition. It is Saturday, August 9 at 7:00pm at Lake Lissara.

Also worth noting: NC Attorney General Roy Cooper (a Democrat) has just announced that he will no longer defend Amendment One in light of yesterday's Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals ruling! He is for gay marriage.

Interesting Yard Art:
Yes, this is actually in someone's yard in the historic West Salem Neighborhood! Awesome! I would like to have one of these in my front yard! Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy!

West Salem Neighborhood Association

Interesting Map:
I found this while assembling this update! This is a map of the Norfolk & Western Railway from 1909. You've seen their bridges in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District many times, while looking at the IQ's many construction projects. This is the route of the railroad (in 1909).

Credit: Internet Archive

Winston-Salem Streetcar System:
It's not very often you find good detailed information on historical streetcar systems. I found this today from the same source as the map above. Winston-Salem's original electric streetcar system was installed in 1889.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Railway Journal January 11, 1908
More Semi-Convertible Cars for Winston-Salem
The J. G. Brill Company has just shipped two more of its patented semi-convertible single-truck cars to Fries Manufacturing & Power Company, successors to the Winston-Salem Railway & Electric Company. The entire rolling stock for the system has been supplied by the J. G. Bill Company and repeat orders have been filled for the type of car mentioned since it was first introduced in 1904.

Exterior of Winston-Salem Semi-Convertible Car

It is probable that about three more cars will be needed this spring. On the arrival of the last two semi-convertibles the company started to run cars over that portion of the main division of the system which has lately been considerably extended. The new cars are almost exact duplicates of their predecessors and measure 20 ft. 8 ins. over the end panels and 30 ft. 1 in. over the vestibules; width over sills including panels, 7 ft. 8 1/2 ins; size of side sills, 5 ins. x 3 3/8 ins.; end sills, 3 1/2 ins. x 6 5/8 ins. The No. 21-E truck is standard with the road and has a wheel base of 6 ft. 6 ins. Two motors of 37 hp capacity each are employed. The seats are of Brill manufacture and several familiar specialties of the builders' make, namely angle iron bumpers, drawbars, folding gates, etc., completed the equipment.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:44 AM

Thanks for the updates! Moving to. Winston at the end of next week and all these developments make me excited.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 5:47 AM
Fourth and Main

Bailey Power Plant:
New promotional materials, from agents leasing the spaces, have said Bailey Power Plant WILL have a bowling alley, movie theatre, and museum. I'm guessing, from their materials, those tenants have signed leases? The big noteworthy update is at the boardwalk area: It appears, from the new graphic posted below, as if they will add a few "new-construction" additions to the west side of the building, creating even more restaurant/retail spaces along this boardwalk. Yes, they are expanding it, just a couple of months before the proposed start of construction! The new-construction additions are labeled Retail/Restaurant Plaza; Proposed Retail & Restaurant Ground Level; and Proposed Retail & Restaurant 2 Levels. It's also worth noting the new area labeled "Activity Area," which includes a skate/bike park, climbing wall, garden center, and an ice rink! It also appears as if the nationally ranked Cobblestone Market (among top 10 or 12 farmers' markets in the U.S.) will move to area below the rail lines? They are also connecting the boardwalk to a neighboring parking deck.

See New Additions Planned on the West Side

Credit: Cindy Christopher - Commercial Realty Advisors

The large movie theatre, black box theatre, bowling alley, museum and planetarium must have taken most of the space in the building, pressuring the developer to add-on to the building for restaurants and retail?

I would love to see someone open a brewery here. It's the perfect location for another brewery! And they can use an awesome power plant theme.

Cheesy logo also included in the marketing materials:

Credit: Cindy Christopher - Commercial Realty Advisors

It's actually a very big space. I didn't realize how massive it is, until I found these photographs from Doug Rice. You are looking into two massive spaces, separated by a half-wall! This wall with windows in the middle of the building was once an exterior wall, before the building was expanded. There is also another big space to the north and two separate buildings to the south. Don't forget a massive two story basement area as well!

Credit: Doug Rice

You can see the half-wall with windows, between the massive spaces, on both sides of the wall, on multiple floors! WOW! Also, look at how thick the floors are!

A few other images from Doug Rice:

This is the boardwalk area. The 2-storey retail & restaurant addition will be built under the coal silos: ("Factory Loft" apartments in the background)

This is where the restaurant and retail structure will be constructed; on the back side of the 1926 building:

The area below the tracks will have restaurants, retail, skate/bike park, rock climbing, garden center, ice rink, and an open air market.

With these expansions to the building, it should become the same size as Baltimore's Pratt Street Power Plant. It's worth noting: Many of the same people who worked on Baltimore's Pratt Street Power Plant are also working on Winston-Salem's Bailey Power Plant, including the architectural firm Design Collective.

Link Apartments:
Their signs are installed and they light-up!

Credit: Link Apartments

The Edge Flats:
We haven't had an update on this building in a long time, so here is an update from the past four weeks:

Credit: The Edge Flats

New Colors: Update Your Renderings Now!

Credit: The Edge Flats

Plant 64 Lofts:
The power plant at Plant 64 Lofts is now open! Plant 64 shared a few images for us.

Plant 64's pool is also open! If you would like an apartment here, call: (336) 793-2282. Currently, only one of the three apartment buildings is complete. They should have another building open soon. The 10,000 square feet of retail space is completed and ready to lease, if you're interested! The retail space is in the same building the pool is in. Plant 64 is a five building complex.

Wake Forest University Downtown Medical School:
I found this more recent photograph of the building to be converted into the downtown medical school. It also shows construction at Bailey Park @ East End and it shows the "@" sign lit-up on 525@Vine's mechanical penthouse!

Credit: Jerry Cooper

525@Vine:
Yes, it's built, but this is a look at the signage lit at night! You can see the "@" sign lit-up in the photograph above!

Credit: Flywheel Co-Work

Be sure to join the Innovators & Entrepreneur's of Winston-Salem group. They meet at 525@Vine every month and have an impressive number of people at these meets. You can RSVP for August 26th. Keep Winston-Salem Weird & Nerdy!

Winston-Salem is Small Business Friendly:
The Kauffman Foundation has ranked Winston-Salem as one of the nation's most friendly cities for small business. Jon Lieber said “Creating a business climate that is welcoming to small, dynamic businesses is more important than ever, and Winston-Salem has figured out many elements of this formula." It's easy to start and operate a small business in Winston-Salem!

Nash Building: New To This Thread
Work is now underway to convert the top floor into artist lofts and the former Separk Music space into The Design Archive. The Design Archive will have room for 75 vendors and 12 studio rentals. The Nash Building was once a car dealership, with a few retail spaces for other businesses and a business school on the top floor. The top floor still has the chalkboards and other school items. Hopefully, they will save these historic reminders of that business school, during the conversion.

West End Millworks:
The Olio Glass Studio is still under construction, but should finish very soon! You can sign-up for classes right now.

Credit: The Olio

Big Winston Market:
Brent and Dawn Peters, along with their daughter Megan, are long-time Winston-Salem residents. They are moving Black Mountain Chocolate to downtown Winston-Salem, because they want to stay in Winston-Salem. They also want a store and factory that will allow visitors from across the country to tour the facilities and see the small batch chocolate being made. The new downtown headquarters and visible chocolate factory will open by mid-September. Brent Peters said “The whole point of artisan foods is adding the experience and the connectivity. The most fun we have is when people come in and we can show them around and interact with them.” People seem to love the idea of a chocolate factory and store in downtown. As was reported earlier, you will be able to actually watch the chocolate being made from the sidewalk on Trade Street. Their products are available coast-to-coast. Check your local Whole Foods Market, if you want to try their product.

IQ District in Retrofit Magazine:
BioMed Realty Trust linked to this, through Twitter. There wasn't anything new in the article that we don't already know, but it was good to see an article on the IQ District, in a national magazine, on the subject of Adaptive Reuse.

Central Library:
In the latest update: Commissioners want to keep the library open as long as possible. They may keep it open while workers begin some of the early work? Only the N.C., Room will stay open downtown, in the Forsyth County Government Center.

Yo-Yo Ma Concert:
Yo-Yo Ma tickets are now available at the Winston-Salem Symphony Box Office.

Cycling Sunday: A Car Free Event!
Cycling Sunday is on August 17th in downtown Winston-Salem. Several streets will be closed for cycling and skating. It's a great event for the whole family. Yes, skateboarding is allowed.

Winston-Salem's Free Bikeshare:
Don't forget: Winston-Salem has free bikeshare! Yes, it's free! Local business leaders pay for it, so you don't need a membership to use it. Take advantage of this! Just look for the green bikes with real estate ads. The code to unlock the bikes is P-L-A-Y. If this doesn't work, call the number on the bike for the code to unlock it. According to Winston-Salem's LT Bikeshare, “People have been very considerate of the bikes and return them to the proper location." Please do the same. Winston-Salem's free bikeshare works because people return and lock the bikes to one of the bikeshare locations. The locations are on Trade Street, Fourth Street, and Bookstown Avenue.

Credit: LT Bikeshare

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:19 AM
Fourth and Main

Welcome to Winston-Salem, Nomad9! I'm guessing you're attending Wake Forest University? They are involved in some of these projects we are discussing. Since Wake Forest University was built on part of the Reynolda Estate, we'll start with the Reynolda House Pool Renovation!

Reynolda House Indoor Pool:
According to JournalNow, this is the first renovation for this pool since it was built!

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...db3e.image.jpg

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...9777.image.jpg

More Jobs:
German company Polyvlies has agreed to establish its United States headquarters in Winston-Salem. They will create 30 new jobs and invest $9.4 million in their building. Three of those employees will move to Winston-Salem from Germany.

Benton Convention Center, Streetcars & Union Station:
City Council approved $60 million in bonds for the Benton Convention Center, Union Station Restoration and the Streetcar Maintenance Facility. These bonds do not require voter approval. Now we wait for construction! If you see construction, report it on this thread, so I can update the main page.

Innovation Quarter:
Council also agreed to place $25 million in bonds on the ballot this fall, to help in developing downtown's IQ District. If you support downtown and the IQ District, register to vote and be sure to vote for "Economic Development Bonds." These bonds do require voter approval.

New Office Tower at Ballpark Village: New To This Thread
It appears as if Brookstown Development Partners, LLC., is ready for the next phase of their Ballpark Village development, around Winston-Salem's BB&T Ballpark? The most recent site plan I can find shows 350,000 square feet of office space in two buildings, above a 2-storey parking deck, with retail, a plaza area, and another 780 space parking deck on the same block. This would appear above the left field wall, beside The Link Apartments. I'll try to keep you updated on this. Plans can change, but it would be nice to see a 7+ storey building rise above the outfield wall. This area could also use more retail space.

50 West Fourth:
We haven't had an update on this apartments and retail project in a long time!

Source

Semans Arts Library:
An update from wsnc62 @ WSTB. I only posted two of the images this person posted. If you want to see the full update, visit their post and thank the poster for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 @ WSTB

Hotel Monaco:
I love this photograph of Hotel Monaco. I do hope they update the lighting on the crown to LEDs. Knowing Kimpton Hotels, they likely will, in an effort to be green and creative?

Credit: Stephen Fanale

More Jobs:
New Holland Farm & Construction Equipment has selected Mullen in downtown Winston-Salem as their advertising agency of record. Landing the new account has led to the immediate need for new account management positions, along with creative and media resources positions to support the account.

More Jobs:
If you're looking for a job, this is your favorite update post! Atrium is hiring and in need of 100 skilled high-tech manufacturing workers, managers and supervisors. Apply in person at 300 Welcome Center Blvd., just off U.S. 52. Take U.S. 52 (John Gold Expressway) south from downtown and look for Exit 97.

Reynolds American Made the Drug Used to Treat Ebola Patients:
Reynolds American (RAI) is using tobacco plants to help manufacture an experimental drug being used to treat the two American aid workers who contracted the deadly Ebola disease. I don't think many people realize RAI is a large research & technology company. Reynolds American conducts contract research and development related to protein expression and extraction from tobacco plants for clients. According to Reynolds American's David Howard, Tobacco plants are infected with proteins and the tobacco plant becomes a photocopier. The proteins that attack the Ebola virus are then extracted from the plant.

Reanimator:
Have you been to Reanimator for your lunch break? This is Melbourne Australia's Bob Log III performing. Yes, he is singing into an old telephone! Reanimator is located in downtown's IQ District, on the block of storefronts between Bailey Power Plant and Krankies Coffee. There are so many great reasons to move to one of these office buildings or apartments, discussed in this thread.

Central Library:
What can you not live without from the downtown library? Take this survey and let them know.

https://docs.google.com/a/forsyth.cc...dCpTI/viewform

Next Generation Gigabit Network:
City of Winston-Salem Chief Information Officer Dennis Newman said AT&T is aggressively deploying fiber in preparation for the launch of their gigabit network! This is very exciting!

Bailey Park @ East End:
A one week difference!

This is from last week!

Source: Charlie McCurry

This is from today!

Credit: Flywheel Co-Work

Cameron Avenue Homes Restoration: New To This Thread
These homes are being saved from demolition, thanks to a donation by Wells Fargo. Who says look-a-like houses are a recent issue? I do hope it's an accurate restoration. The windows suggest otherwise though.

Credit: The Chronicle

Underdog Records Moving Downtown:
Underdog Records is moving to the Ballpark/West End Village area of downtown next month! They have discovered the advantage of a central location in downtown and Underdog will actually save money on rent too! The new location is next-door to Burke Street Comics. Underdog will continue to offer new & used vinyl, vinyl accessories, and stereo equipment, including new & used turntables and used vintage receivers and speakers. Underdog will also continue to host in-store performances and other events.

Carolina Air & Auto Museum:
This is the Douglas C-54 Skymaster, used in the Berlin Airlift, flying over downtown Winston-Salem! The photograph was taken from Smith Reynolds Airport (KINT). The Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation is working on a permanent move to Winston-Salem's Carolina Air & Auto Museum! Don't forget to donate to the museum: http://airandauto.org/donors/donate.php You or your business can also buy naming rights.

Credit: Hunter Brame

Centennial Art:
Two days remain to donate to the Centennial Art Project. Your donation will pay to increase the size of the sculptures.

http://power2give.org/WinstonSalem/P...projectId=8251

Movie Filming:
20th Century Fox is currently filming a movie in Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem usually appears in a movie and a few commercials/TV shows every year. I found a photograph of the crew filming at Wake Forest University. They are also filming in the coliseum and attempting to make the LJVM appear like several different coliseums. That should be interesting to look for, if you watch the movie. This movie requires a large number of paid extras.

Credit: Wake Forest University

Winston-Salem Open:
This is one of two or three major league sports events held each year in Winston-Salem. The Winston-Salem Open will be held August 16-23. Five of the top 20 teams in the ATP doubles team rankings will compete in the Winston-Salem Open. This is a great event! You can see several of the world's top ranked players. Winston-Salem is a sport cycling, soccer, and tennis city. This event is usually shown nationally on CBS.

Credit: Tennis View Magazine - Fred Mullane

Since we don't have as many photographs as usual, why don't we just post some fun images of the city to close this update out? The weekend was a rain-out, so most of the photographs I'm finding are on rainy/foggy weather.

Fourth Street in the Rain:

Credit: Nick Sharp

Hanging Rock State Park:

Source

If you're new to Winston-Salem and love the outdoors, don't forget to visit the Saurtown Mountains. They have beautiful waterfalls, lakes, bike/hiking trails, and rock formations. It's a great place to go during the summer. There are also two rivers to explore.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

If you're new to Winston-Salem and love the outdoors, don't forget to visit the Saurtown Mountains. They have beautiful waterfalls, lakes, bike/hiking trails, and rock formations. It's a great place to go during the summer. There are also two rivers to explore.
Thanks Matthew! Always such great information. Still quite new to the area, what is the best way to get to Saurtown from W-S?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 4:29 AM
Fourth and Main

Winston-Salem's metro area is very beautiful. Saurtown Mountains is the name for the entire mountain range; which includes the highest point (Moore's Knob) in the Winston-Salem metro area. These are the mountains you see in the background (to the north) from different places around the city. There is a Saurtown Mountain (second tallest mountain in Winston-Salem's metro area) in the Saurtown Range, but it has TV and radio towers at the top. I'm not sure if they will allow you to go to the top of it? Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock State Park are the main attractions people visit. This is also where the Dan River is located.

Wake Forest University students will like this: University Parkway is State Route 66, which takes you to both downtown and the Saurtown Mountains! To visit Hanging Rock, take University Parkway north and keep driving. If you're going to Hanging Rock, look for Moores Spring Road. It will appear as a fork, when you're in the mountains. The best route to visit Pilot Mountain is U.S. 52 (John Gold Expressway) north. You'll see a sign telling you where to exit (Pilot Mountain State Park). Pilot Mountain is the easiest and fastest mountain to visit, due to being on the city's main north-south expressway.

Hanging Rock State Park:
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/main.php

Pilot Mountain State Park
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/pimo/main.php

History:
During the time when Winston-Salem was the state's largest and richest city; Hanging Rock was about to become a massive upscale mountain resort. The Great Depression ended those plans, with the developers filing for bankruptcy and the Winston-Salem Foundation stepping-in to save Hanging Rock from future developers. The Winston-Salem Foundation donated Hanging Rock to the state in 1936, to become a state park.

There are several waterfalls at Hanging Rock State Park. More than what I've posted here. There is also a beach and cabins. The beach isn't crowded.

Source

Source

Source

This is what it looks like from the Winston-Salem city limits:

Hanging Rock State Park from South Main Street in Konnoak Hills (southern end of the city, looking north)

Credit: Angel Fuentes

For Our Friends at Wake Forest University: (Pilot Mountain and Wake Forest Campus)

Credit: Mark Moser

Someone should post this in the City Topography Photo Thread!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:26 AM

Matthew: Yes, here to attend Wake Law. I'm hoping to do something related to urban planning/zoning/development law, hence my interest in this forum. We've only been here since Sunday night but we're already loving it!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 6:55 PM

Awesome! Thanks Matthew. I have made it out to Pilot Mountain already, it is an awesome place. Great for rock climbing. I'll try to check out some of the other spots this weekend.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 7:21 AM

The latest North District master plan shows a large structure attached to the long planned, city-funded parking deck opposite the Wells Fargo Linden Center. Any info? A send parking deck los to be proposed for the north end as well.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 5:07 AM
Fourth and Main

I'm hoping I can visit next month? I always love to visit Winston-Salem.

I think that site plan is a few years old? I seem to remember seeing that building during Edgeton's days. The use of PTRP also seems to confirm this?

Piedmont Advantage Credit Union Headquarters: BUILT
This was the credit union for Winston-Salem based Piedmont Airlines, before it was bought by US Airways.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...size=620%2C868
Credit: Lauren Carroll - JournalNow

Plant 64:
Updates from July and August, provided by Capstone Building, and an extra from today. Most of these photographs are of the power plant, which is my favorite building in the five building complex.

Plant 64 July Updates:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Plant 64 August Updates:

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Plant 64 Update From Today:

Credit: Alex Moffitt

Civic Plaza:
This is the construction I was asking about at Civic Plaza. This looks like something they will have to remove and reinstall or better known as a waste of money. They should've waited until after the park was finished to do this.

Credit: Linville Team

The Heights at Patterson:
Laurel Street is seeking land from the city to build 135 apartment units, ranging from studios to two-bedroom apartments for small families. Yes, this project has grown 30% larger, since the last update! I'm guessing they will add another floor? The city wants the developer to offer a few affordable units as part of the deal. City Manager Derwick Paige said "Restaurant servers and bartenders at the planned Bailey Power Plant would also be able to afford the apartments. While a PhD may want to live there, they’ll need to make sure there are units available for people who earn less.” Yes, this is near the IQ District, within walking distance of Inmar's new headquarters.

West End Millworks:
West End Mill Works is seeking $195,000 in incentives to help finance Phase II of their project. The first phase created 9 new businesses, including Hoots Beer Co., Sutler’s Spirits distillery, The Porch restaurant, The Breathing Room, and Eight Points Muay Thai & Fitness, and 100 new jobs.

WSSU & FTCC:
Among state universities, in the Triad area, graduates of Winston-Salem State University make the most money. Among state community colleges, graduates of FTCC in Winston-Salem have the highest average pay in the Triad.

New Hotel in HMB Corridor:
A new Residence Inn will be constructed in the HMB Corridor by BPR Properties LLC. The hotel will have 108 rooms. The Planning Board “had to make sure that it complied with those conditions regarding architecture, lighting and landscaping, in addition to UDO requirements." Construction will start in the first quarter of 2015 and the building will take a year to complete.

Avid Solutions Headquarters:
Avid Solutions, an engineering firm headquartered in Winston-Salem with offices in multiple countries, will build a new headquarters near the intersection of I-40 and I-74 in Winston-Salem. Construction will start in early 2015.

Olaeris Headquarters & Research Center:
The biggest news of the past week! It's official! Olaeris has selected Winston-Salem as their headquarters. The new headquarters and research center is expected to have a $128 million impact on the city of Winston-Salem. The company was recruited to North Carolina through years of work from NGAT and looked at sites in four metro areas in the state, before selecting Winston-Salem. Olaeris said Winston-Salem is the perfect location for drone research. The company will hire 200 people in its first phase, primarily engineers, technicians, programmers, pilots, and trainers. The company expects Winston-Salem to gain thousands of high-paying jobs, over time, from this headquarters announcement. There are also other companies (more jobs!) that will work with Olaeris, looking at Winston-Salem sites. They have asked the state to use $6 million in incentives to buy their aircraft for state use, as a way to demonstrate it. The state must agree to this unusual incentive request by September 25th. Usually, the state only receives jobs from incentive offers. This incentive offer gives the state jobs and drones to use in emergencies or for research. The state is saying this is the future for incentives.

Central Library:
County leaders are telling everyone: Though this is a renovation, it won't look like a renovation. It will look like a new library! Under CBD zoning, they can build a much denser and urban-style building! There are no minimum setback requirements, no parking requirements, and no height restrictions, according to Planning Director Paul Norby! The zoning district is pedestrian oriented. The county, library, and Ratio Architects won't design new parking for the building. They will instead use shared parking from existing businesses near the library and on-street parking. The architects should have renderings by mid-October.

So what should we expect? It will be difficult to renovate the original Streamline Moderne wing of the building, so it appears as if they are recommending demolition for that wing and building a newer and taller building in its place. The 1979 addition will likely be reused, but it will be completely gutted and reclad, so it looks new. Frank L. Blum Construction Company will be the GC for the project and is already in contact with the architects. Commissioners are expected to issue the bonds for construction on August 25th.

The Edge Flats:

Credit: EdgeFlats

On the Roof:
Rooftop common areas seem to be the most popular amenity in downtown Winston-Salem? Is this on the roof of the artist colony on Third Street?

Credit: Adam Sebastian

Nash Building:
We may have regular updates on this project? Design Archives is opening November 1st! From what I've seen, this will be a great addition to downtown.

Imagine what this was like, as a former Nash car dealership!

Credit: Design Archives

Credit: Design Archives

UNCSA Film School:
The School of Filmmaking at the UNC School of the Arts was ranked No. 13 by The Hollywood Reporter on its annual list of the top 25 film schools. The magazine wrote “The 20-year-old school in Winston-Salem looks like a Hollywood studio backlot." In June, The Hollywood Reporter ranked UNCSA’s School of Drama at No. 6 in the world and the state's high school Drama program, also located in Winston-Salem, at No. 3.

Big Winston Market:
SSP's first look inside the distillery at Big Winston Market!

Credit: Mission Pizza Napoletana

Innovation Quarter:
Winston-Salem biotech company, Tengion, said its Neo-Kidney Augment is on track so far. The Neo-Kidney Augment uses a patient’s own cells to regenerate functional kidney tissue. Another Tengion research project, called Neo-Urinary Conduit, is currently seeking a funding partner. Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for regenerative medicine. It's always interesting to see what they are growing.

Winston-Salem Open:
One of Winston-Salem's two or three major league sports events is here! This week!

It takes 10 days to build the stadium. It's made of thousands of individual steel pieces and seats 4,500 people. It weighs 214,269 short tons. They haven't started work on the permanent stadium. This is the same temporary stadium used last year.

Credit: Andrew Dye

Credit: Andrew Dye

Columbiana Hi Tech:
Columbiana Hi Tech, an AREVA TN company, has started construction on a new 100,000-square-foot building. Samet is the GC. This appears to be a nuclear energy company?

The Hut Indoor Skate Park:
The Hut is renovating their ramps to prepare for Camel City Cream Skateboarding Contest, on Saturday August 23rd.

Credit: Exodus Skateshop

Credit: The Hut

BB&T Soccer Park:
Did you know: 5,000 people, representing 126 teams from across the Southeast, played soccer at the soccer park last weekend? WOW! They had to hold some games at Sara Lee Fields.

ConvergeSouth 2014:
The first and largest technology and social media conference in the southeast has a new home in Winston-Salem. ConvergeSouth is moving to the new Farrell Hall, designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects. The building was completed just a few months ago. This is the 10th anniversary for ConvergeSouth. The conference is scheduled for October 17th at 8 a.m.,. Tickets to attend the full conference are $149.00 each.

Tickets: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/converg...ts-11797160625

Credit: Kenneth Bennett

Credit: Robert A.M. Stern Architects

Cringe-Con:
Are you attending Cringe-Con on August 21?

Source

Angelo Bros., Radio Building:
An interesting mural at the historic Angelo Brothers Building!

Hall of Street Art

Interesting Photographs:

Colin Gibbons

Credit: WFL 1&2

Source

Pepper Building - Big Announcement?
It appears as if a major "construction start" announcement, involving the adaptive reuse of the Art Deco Pepper Building to apartments & retail, could be announced at any time! Forum members at WSTB have reported activity at the building over the past few days and my sources have said construction would start by early fall? It would be great to see a construction start announced in late summer (this week)!

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 5:10 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations