HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:48 PM

Big apartment tower planned south of the Chicago River on Michigan Avenue

Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...03-column.html

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 10:54 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Baron View Post
Chicago Tribune:

Awesome! The domino effect of Millennium Park, other rehabs, Apple Store all coming together...

Let's just hope Chicago's biggest chest-thumping gorilla doesn't come out with "nobody told me about this, so it's not a real project as far as I'm concerned!"

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:04 AM

Very cool news. ^^^Fingers crossed for a great design with well lit street frontage.

Random and off topic.....does anyone know of whats going on with the old Mandarin Oriental site? Who owns that one, is that related? I just recently found an old picture of the old M.O. building, and am so dissapointed it never got built. Such a gorgeous looking building.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:09 AM

Well lets hope its a significant size tower (1000ft would be nice) ..i hate this article because they make it sound like it can be something rather substantial but then they compare it possibly the same height as bucks 41 story just to the south...well if its anywhere at that height its a disappointment and nothing to get too excited about. Guess just have to wait and see....

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:36 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

675 N Wells

675 N Wells

by me, on Flickr

by me, on Flickr

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:44 AM
1st Ward

Interesting. I'm always sad to see historic building stock bulldozed, but this particular building isn't all that notable. Anyone know if the building immediately north of the corner building (used to house a Radioshack) will be included in the demolition? Hopefully not. Small human scaled buildings like that help provide variety in the streetscape.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:47 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Interesting. I'm always sad to see historic building stock bulldozed, but this particular building isn't all that notable. Anyone know if the building immediately north of the corner building (used to house a Radioshack) will be included in the demolition? Hopefully not. Small human scaled buildings like that help provide variety in the streetscape.
I agree, but a "humanly scaled streetscape" Michigan Avenue is not, that's just not how it was designed.

I must say that it's a surprise they are still going for apartments given the looming glut. Perhaps they think it's a stellar location?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
675 N Wells

by me, on Flickr

by me, on Flickr
Seeing Wells Street urbanizing is my favorite thing about this boom

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:08 AM
you know where I'll be

300 N Michigan

Guys - somebody posted photos a couple months back of the bKL model....you can see it in person by walking past bKL's office in Aqua.....nice design, similar in size to MILA.....good stuff all-around (although I had been hoping it would have a hotel component, another MILA-sized injection of residential alone in this part of the Loop is hard to call a disappointment!)

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:11 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Awesome! The domino effect of Millennium Park, other rehabs, Apple Store all coming together...

Let's just hope Chicago's biggest chest-thumping gorilla doesn't come out with "nobody told me about this, so it's not a real project as far as I'm concerned!"

It's Magellan (I'd think of Sterling Bay as more of the landowner and an equity partner here) as the operating developer......rest assured his high holiness has been briefed....

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Very cool news. ^^^Fingers crossed for a great design with well lit street frontage.

Random and off topic.....does anyone know of whats going on with the old Mandarin Oriental site? Who owns that one, is that related? I just recently found an old picture of the old M.O. building, and am so dissapointed it never got built. Such a gorgeous looking building.
I'm also surprised that nothing has come of that site. I suspect that's it's mired in some sort of legal struggle.

Also, what about the proposed apartment building right at the corner of Randolph and Michigan across from the park where the Italian restaurant was closed. Nothing happened in all these years.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Guys - somebody posted photos a couple months back of the bKL model....you can see it in person by walking past bKL's office in Aqua.....nice design, similar in size to MILA.....good stuff all-around (although I had been hoping it would have a hotel component, another MILA-sized injection of residential alone in this part of the Loop is hard to call a disappointment!)
Yeah I remember this was posted around the same time as the Vista mat pour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Not a great pic, but bkl has a model for a new building at Michigan and South Water in the window. Looks to be about as tall as carbon and carbide with a Mila-like massing.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:36 PM
BANNED

I think we might be in for something impressive w Magellan behind the wheel. Even 650' there would make a dig impact.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:49 PM
tilted & shifted

bump to the next page.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:50 PM
tilted & shifted

Two well-known Chicago developers and a Chinese investor plan a big apartment tower on a once-drab stretch of Michigan Avenue that recently has sprung to life with a wave of real estate developments.

Chicago-based Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group are drawing up plans for a tall apartment tower at 300 N. Michigan Ave., where a four-story building would be demolished, according to sources...

The exact size of the project is unknown. It could be similar to the 41-story Mila apartment building a block south, which Chicago developer John Buck completed last year....

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Yeah I remember this was posted around the same time as the Vista mat pour.
Can we just consider this a "filler"? That article got me pumped for at least 20 more floors.

P.s. theres a cool exhibit in the intercontinental lobby of old artifacts from the hotel and fitness club. Can we get an extention for their north tower still, or is that completly done and over?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post

Two well-known Chicago developers and a Chinese investor plan a big apartment tower on a once-drab stretch of Michigan Avenue that recently has sprung to life with a wave of real estate developments.

Chicago-based Sterling Bay and Magellan Development Group are drawing up plans for a tall apartment tower at 300 N. Michigan Ave., where a four-story building would be demolished, according to sources...

The exact size of the project is unknown. It could be similar to the 41-story Mila apartment building a block south, which Chicago developer John Buck completed last year....

When I first looked at the drawings, I thought it was an exact replica of 200 NMA. Same architect....Same cheap exterior skin...

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
When I first looked at the drawings, I thought it was an exact replica of 200 NMA. Same architect....Same cheap exterior skin...
Oh the horror.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Not a great pic, but bkl has a model for a new building at Michigan and South Water in the window. Looks to be about as tall as carbon and carbide with a Mila-like massing.

Edit: holy cow, how do I resize this?

Now that this is in the news - bumping it up

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^^ Am I missing something? Isn't that just a model of the Mila? Confused...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations