HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:08 PM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
1000 rooms on that postage stamp sized lot? That's gotta be 50+ stories.
exciting!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:26 PM

801 S Olive by Hunter, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

Wilshire Grand from 9th & Figueroa by Hunter, on Flickr

Metropolis by Hunter, on Flickr

Car Wash & Hotel Figueroa by Hunter, on Flickr

Arts District Park by Hunter, on Flickr

Broadway by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:27 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shots, Hunter! I'm counting 21 stories so far on 8th and Olive. So roughly 11 more to go?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Great shots, Hunter! I'm counting 21 stories so far on 8th and Olive. So roughly 11 more to go?
It'll be just a couple feet taller than Onni, but 12 more to go. 33 in total

So apparently no renderings for the 1000 room double tower hotel for at least 8 months

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I think it'll be 20 feet shorter than Onni, actually. 375 vs. 352, or in that general range. Onni's roof feature and fewer levels of above ground parking are most likely the difference. But from most vantage points, they'll appear roughly the same height.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
I think it'll be 20 feet shorter than Onni, actually. 375 vs. 352, or in that general range. Onni's roof feature and fewer levels of above ground parking are most likely the difference. But from most vantage points, they'll appear roughly the same height.
The renderings always exaggerate

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:04 PM

Mojeda,

Could you place this page as a sticky on the Los Angeles Projects and Construction page?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Two hotel towers planned for Pico/Figueroa/Flower St. Parking Lot

Unnamed developer proposed 1,000 hotel rooms, plus retail space, parking, sky lobbies and guest amenities in two towers. Also requesting similar incentives to those provided to Metropolis and the Wilshire Grand.

Parking lot to the right of the Circa construction site.

Oh man, this is EXCELLENT! 1000 rooms on that small parcel will mean a pretty tall tower. Heres hoping for inspiring and interesting architecture!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:02 PM
Paramoderator

Yo hunter, since you're always asking for requests, any chance you could nab shots of adaptive reuse and street level stuff in the historic core / arts district? Love to see what all the new restaurants and stores look like, and how they are activating the pedestrian experience.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Yo hunter, since you're always asking for requests, any chance you could nab shots of adaptive reuse and street level stuff in the historic core / arts district? Love to see what all the new restaurants and stores look like, and how they are activating the pedestrian experience.
The adaptive reuse stuff is great, moving along slowly but surely. I take images of a lot of the stuff (Broadway Trade) but not much changes from the outside. When it does I'll be sure to post the images here.

As for street level & retail, I'm not sure when you were last here but (flame-suit-on) its gotten worse. Retail doesnt stand a chance in Historic until the city addresses the homeless epidemic on Main, Spring, and Broadway. For example, Acne & Urban Outfitters are currently in a reverse-race to see who can stay open the longest (my sources say neither will last the year).

I'll get together recent Historic Core images and post them within a few hours.

Edit: Broadway (in its 8/10th's complete Bringing Back Broadway phase) from Night On Broadway:

Broadway Arcade by Hunter, on Flickr

Roxie Theater by Hunter, on Flickr

Los Angeles Theater by Hunter, on Flickr

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Feb 22, 2016 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Oh man, this is EXCELLENT! 1000 rooms on that small parcel will mean a pretty tall tower. Heres hoping for inspiring and interesting architecture!
Awesome, great news.

Should be another 50+ tower.
L.A. is booming like never before.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 9:27 PM

^ But hey on the bright side they've found a new use for the planters on Broadway, lol(Referring to ConstructDTLA's post)

Untitled by mojeda101, on Flickr

Would you guys consider the Trinity and Clark as still U/C for adaptive reuse? They're practically done. Chetrit is mysterious.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 12:30 AM

Lol i live across the street. Homeboy is there all the time

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:18 AM

I have long said that if DTLA is to rid itself of it's slum look, then the corridors of Spring, Broadway, and Hill, must be razed. Why hold on to those things which keep hurting its image? Many look like they are ready for the wrecking ball. Take them down and replace them with green fields or else entertainment centers. A great model of cleanliness is what has been done with cities like Rancho Mirage, or Palm Desert. Just lovely!

as for the parking lots, are they not necessary to have?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:24 AM

Wow, that is terrible news from Hunter about ACNE and Urban Outfitters! The Angelo Home store just closed down as well. I wonder how the old May Company building has a chance to survive given that retail south of 8th is doing so poorly. The sad part is that the coffee house adjacent to ACNE will probably go as well since it is owned by ACNE. I really had hoped for a retail renaissance in that area.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
As for street level & retail, I'm not sure when you were last here but (flame-suit-on) its gotten worse. Retail doesnt stand a chance in Historic until the city addresses the homeless epidemic on Main, Spring, and Broadway. For example, Acne & Urban Outfitters are currently in a reverse-race to see who can stay open the longest (my sources say neither will last the year).
Your posts often give a lift to this thread, but this one, due to no fault of your own, does just the opposite. Most of the bldgs you've caught on film still look quite rundown, the pathetic swapmeets still appear to be hanging on, while the reverse appears to be true of the few nicer newer stores on broadway. The possibility that those stores are facing the same fate as that of the figaro restaurant is both extremely disappointing but not totally unexpected.

I wonder if the reasons behind such ongoing failure is as bothersome to ppl like huizar as is their unhappiness when new apt projs aren't taller or better designed? While the two issues are separate....& one doesn't have to preclude the other.....the impression that's created when far less serious problems are being bandied about & inspiring lots of complaints is that dtla is in much better shape than it actually is.

I wonder if the city planner who's unhappy that the proposed hellens apt tower on broadway is too modern....& apparently put a kibosh on it.....is as bothered that dt....esp east of Hill st....still doesn't have enough customers wandering around who have plenty of cash & lots of credit cards in their purses or wallets?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
Wow, that is terrible news from Hunter about ACNE and Urban Outfitters! The Angelo Home store just closed down as well. I wonder how the old May Company building has a chance to survive given that retail south of 8th is doing so poorly. The sad part is that the coffee house adjacent to ACNE will probably go as well since it is owned by ACNE. I really had hoped for a retail renaissance in that area.
I have to say women shoppers will never feel safe walking down Broadway which is filled with drunk or high homeless, mentally ill yelling and screaming, and trash thrown everywhere. Retail will survive and be successful only where the homeless are not. I feel the Oceanwide/Luxe/Circa sites will be very profitable but we will have to wait for that.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:27 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Always one step forward, two steps backward...

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:38 AM
life is good

In more positive retail news, did anyone else notice that new mini grocery/market opened in the Rosslyn? I only walked by but it seemed stocked with fresh fruits/veggies. How long has it been open?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 4:00 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by babypie View Post
I have long said that if DTLA is to rid itself of it's slum look, then the corridors of Spring, Broadway, and Hill, must be razed. Why hold on to those things which keep hurting its image? Many look like they are ready for the wrecking ball. Take them down and replace them with green fields or else entertainment centers. A great model of cleanliness is what has been done with cities like Rancho Mirage, or Palm Desert. Just lovely!

as for the parking lots, are they not necessary to have?
Simcity is fun.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations