HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
Ohh. I love this tower so much more than how it used to look. It complements Temple Square buildings and Gateway West (the building to the right). I will also work better with The City Creek Center.
I kind of liked the funky, copper-colored exterior of the old tower, but to be sure the new skin is a lot more elegant and tasteful. It definately blends with all the surrounding structures,(including historical) better.

There seems to be a little rebellion lately amongst some forumers in regard to getting rid of all of our funky 50's-60's architecture. I would agree that much of what is left of the 60's style should be given an attentive look, and first given every opportunity to be restored to a pristine condition. I think the restoration and upgrading of the old First Security Tower,(now the Ken Garff Tower.pictured below) was a positive for downtown. That tower is considered by the AIA as one of the more significant nationally of the international style. I would sure be interested to hear what many of our other forumers in other areas think about these 60's buildings being re-skinned.

Often certain elements can be added to a building that is both period appropriate and greatly improves it's aesthetic

Ken Garff Tower/Formerly First Security Bank, Recently refurbished and upgraded to Class A office space

pics by Kevin Delaney

In the mix of downtown companions

LoneStarMike

National Trust Presents National Preservation Honor Award to First Security Bank Building in Salt Lake City, Utah

National Trust Presents National Preservation Honor Award to First Security Bank Building in Salt Lake City, Utah
Ribbon cutting ceremony marks the opening of the First Security Bank.
download large version Pittsburgh, Pa. (November 2, 2006) – Today, the National Trust for Historic Preservation presented the First Security Bank Building in Salt Lake City its prestigious National Preservation Honor Award. The project was one of 21 national award winners honored by the National Trust during its week-long 2006 National Preservation Conference in Pittsburgh, Pa.

Completed in 1955, First Security Bank was the first addition to Salt Lake City's downtown skyline in nearly 30 years and Utah's first major modern building. The sleek steel and glass tower heralded the city's renewed prosperity, and local newspapers quickly likened the bank building to the United Nations' headquarters in New York City.

But by 2002, the First Security Bank building was up for sale and many were concerned that it would be subject to insensitive alteration or even demolition. Happily, the building wound up in the hands of an owner, Wasatch Property Management, willing to go the extra mile to keep its mid-century look intact. The owner gutted the tenant floors down to the steel, removed the asbestos and upgraded the exterior to maintain the feel of the original, internationally-influenced architecture.

"With its glass-and-steel facades recalling an optimistic era not so long ago, the First Security Bank building heralds a bright future for a piece of the recent past," said Richard Moe, president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. "This project is a model for the successful rehabilitation and continued use of recent past architecture across the country."

With the help of a National Register listing, federal tax credits, advice from preservationists, the newest technologies and plenty of determination, the building was rehabbed with such finesse that its original architect, W.A. Sarmiento, says it looks as good as the day it opened. Today, the building is almost fully leased, anchoring and supporting the ongoing revitalization of downtown Salt Lake City.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 1:13 PM

Update Real Stadium - January 18, 2008

Stadium rising: $110M project pushing for September opening

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...245119,00.html

REAL Salt Lake
Pictured, subsequent mixed use surrounding REAL Stadium

REAL Salt Lake

The only roar soccer fans will hear these days at Real Stadium is the whir and spark of welding crews, the bellow of massive propane heaters and the scraping of heavy construction tools But on a tour of the stadium's construction site, officials told the Deseret Morning News that the cheers of the crowd aren' too far away...

Construction workers aren't letting winter get in the way of building Real Salt Lake's soccer stadium, which is more than halfway done. (Michael Brandy, Deseret Morning News)

January 18, 2008

The stadium will have 21,000 permanent seats and offer a "level of intimacy" for soccer fans. (Michael Brandy, Deseret News)

Last edited by delts145; Jan 18, 2008 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 10:24 PM

Downtown - Westgate Lofts - Near Completion

Equitygreen

A converted warehouse that was built in 1909, it once housed commercial tenants General Electric and Sears Roebuck. There will be 54 residential and 3 commercial units. Each tenant will enjoy there own private balcony and there will be a rooftop garden for all to share. Sizes range from 650 sq/ft studios and one-bedrooms to 2,500 sq/ft penthouses. Prices start at about $150,000 and range close to $700,000.

Equitygreen

But the cool thing that sets this development apart is the way the structure's temperature will be regulated. A geothermal heat pump was installed, which compared to using natural gas and electricity, will save tenants between 25% to 75% on their utility bills. Basically, water beneath the earth's surface remains at a constant temperature. In the winter, that water is brought to the surface. A heat pump extracts the warmth from the liquid to heat the units...the remaining water is sent back underground. In the summer, the process is reversed. Although simple in its design, the ground-source heat pump system should be extremely efficient, with low operating costs, as compared to installing new air conditioning system.

Geothermal heat pump

A geothermal heat pump system is a heating and/or an air conditioning system that uses the Earth's ability to store heat in the ground and water thermal masses. This system will take advantage of a land mass as a heat exchanger to either heat or cool a building structure. These systems operate on a very simple premise; the ground a few feet below surface stays around annual average temperature throughout the year, typically somewhere in range of 50-85 °F (10-30 °C) depending upon location's annual climate. A water-source heat pump uses that available heat in the winter and puts heat back into the ground in the summer. A geothermal system differs from a conventional furnace or boiler by its ability to transfer heat versus the standard method of producing the heat. As energy costs continue to rise and pollution concerns continue to be a hot topic, geothermal systems may hold a solution to both of these concerns. A particular advantage is that they can use electricity produced from renewable sources, like solar and wind power, to heat spaces and water much more efficiently than an electric heater. This allows buildings to be heated with renewable energy without transporting and burning biomass on site, producing biogas for use in gas furnaces or relying solely upon solar heating. Geothermal heat pump systems are straightforward and do not require high tech components.

Westgate Lofts

Kevin Delaney

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:22 PM

SLC Projects latest Updates for the Downtown ZCMI block of the City Creek Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
ZCMI Block

Crews still tearing out the old mall. But most of it it's gone now.

This is where the new food court will be. At the base of the Key Bank Tower.

Key Bank Tower Renderings I found.

ALL Pics by SLC Projects

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:37 PM

Salt Lake's Ultra-Luxe City of Holladay Takes On Major New Project.

Cost estimates range anywhere from 500 million to 1 billion. Whatever the cost, the scope and effect of this project will have a major impact on this Salt Lake Valley community and indeed the Metro as a whole.

Mount Olympus and Holladay as seen from the West. Holladay lies behind Downtown and beneath peaks pictured in center of photo

Steve Greenwood Stock Photography

Pioneer farms have given way to city streets, but Holladay's picture-perfect views of Mount Olympus have remained the same
meridian magazine.com

Downtown Salt Lake City is surronded to the North, East, and South by beautiful neighborhoods, and this area of Holladay is no exception. It is a district of sprawling estates with accompanying residential palaces, cliff-side mansions perched high overlooking the entire valley and the Great Salt Lake, ultra luxe condo's and hundred's of freshly updated luxury homes, heavily forrested river-bottoms, and breathtaking views of Mount Olympus and it's sister peaks. It is located only minutes from Downtown Salt Lake, and at the same time only minutes from several of the area's most famous ski resorts. Holladay is also the site of one of America's first indoor malls. The old Cottonwood Mall had served the Salt Lake community admirably over the last four decades, but recently had fallen behind the times in it's competitive edge. The residence of this enviable community demanded something more worthy of their luxurious lifestyle. Enter one of Salt Lake Valley's newest and one of America's most watched, 'developing, upscale lifestyle centers.'

Demolition proceeds in ernest in preparation for the building of the new 'Cottonwood Village.'

Cottonwood Village

All above Pics, courtesy of the City of Holladay

Last edited by delts145; Jan 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:12 PM

Updated Pics of Walker Center Tower and Sign Restoration and Upgrade.

by SLC Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
New Walker Sign.

by SLC Projects

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 7:30 PM

Delts, thanks for your work on this forum. You do a great job of showing off our area to others. I will get out this week and get some updated photos of some projects.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:30 AM

Your most welcome T-Mac, and thank you even more for all of the contributing pics.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 3:56 PM

A Grand, 'Old World Style Hotel,' Recreated

Downtown Salt Lake City's 'Grand Hotel' - Recently Completed

Grand America
The towering white Bethel granite exterior of the Grand America Hotel glistens in the Salt Lake City sun, and at night stands as a beacon of luxurious light in the downtown skyline. The Grand America Hotel is a sumptuous palace, a haven for deluxe decadence befitting royalty. This five-star, luxury hotel redefines 'grand' every single day.

Grand America
Inspired by the charm and craftsmanship of Europe's classic hotels, the Grand America offers 775 luxurious rooms, including 395 exquisite suites. The 24-story hotel overlooks a beautifully landscaped 10-acre footprint in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City. The Grand America is 450,000 square feet, or an entire city block, of hand-tooled marble and granite.

Grand America

Splash Magazine...
I walked through Grand America's beveled-glass and brass doors and entered a lavish wonderland of opulent amenities befitting the royal guests. I was immediately encased in elegant luxury. My eyes darted about, absorbing the gilded images before me: Italian marble floors and walls, English wool carpets, and French furniture and tapestries all illuminated by the Murano crystal chandeliers. In addition to the sumptuous interior decor, the hotel staff and their genuine smiles greeted me at the door. All of this elegance and I had only entered the lobby!

OKLAND CONSTRUCTION - This structural concrete hotel boasts a Five-Star and Five Diamond rating with 905 guest rooms, 777 of them suites. The hotel features a 24-story tower, a four-story garden wing, grand and junior ballrooms, restaurants, shops, courtyards and a multi-level, 1,000-car underground parking garage. This project has a total square footage of 1,756,351.

Bethal White Granite from Vermont was chosen to sheath the entire hotel. Over 1,400 cubic meters of blocks were used for this one project, making it the largest use ever for Behtel White for an individual building.

The Grand America Hotel is conveniently located on 10 acres in the heart of downtown Salt Lake City, just 10 minutes from the Salt Lake International Airport. Ensconced by the Wasatch and Oquirrh Mountain Ranges in the magnificent Salt Lake Valley, the Grand America is walking distance from shopping, restaurants, cultural and sporting events and is roughly 30-40 minutes from the major ski resorts. Nearby are historic Temple Square, the world-famous Great Salt Lake, four major rivers, national parks, forests and monuments.

Inspired by the world's grand hotels of the past, The Grand America Hotel has the allure of Old World craftsmanship, charm and hospitality, with every modern convenience at your fingertips. Designed to be a European "boutique" hotel of American scale, The Grand America is abundant in exquisite details: chandeliers from Murano and Milan, French cherry- wood furniture, English wool carpets, Italian marble bathrooms, as well as state-of-the-art high-speed internet connections, 32-inch televisions and dual-line phones in every room.

* The Grand America was listed on the Gold List of the World's Best Hotels in the 2007 January issue of Condè Nast Traveler.

Grand America

Last edited by delts145; Jan 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:12 PM

Downtown Salt Lake - City Hall

I couldn't resist posting this pic when I saw it this morning.
This magnificent 'Richardsonian Romesque' beauty was recently restored to it's pristine condition.
Also included in the restoration, was the seismic upgrade of the entire structure.
The seismic upgrade included placing the building on giant shock absorbers, which will allow for a great deal of ground/structural movement in the event of a major earthquake.
This historical masterpiece sits accross from Salt Lake City's newest structural gem," The Moshe Safdie Library," which was covered at the top of page 3.

City Hall, Salt Lake City

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 8:10 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Grand America

I love the Grand America Hotel. Having a 5-star hotel of that size here in SAlt Lake is like having apart of Vegas.

When we get the new 1,000 room hotel in downtown Salt Lake City, I hope it will be even bigger and taller then GAH.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:55 AM

Yeah I like the Grand too. One thing I like about the Grand over some of the luxury hotels in Vegas is that the materials used are all the real thing, not composite's,or new-age stucco. I like to flick the marble with my finger to see if it's real. In Vegas it's often not.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:15 PM

Downtown - The Metro - Nearing Completion

Once completed, The Metro Condos will be a 117-unit residential development offering studio, one, two and three bedroom condominium residences as well as four unique "Live/Work" units. It is located in the Central Business District in the heart of the City, at 350 South 200 East, about a half block from the TRAX stop at the City Library and will offer easy access to shopping, the University of Utah and many entertainment venues. Groundbreaking took place in June, 2005, and is scheduled for completion in Summer of 2008. Alan J. Wood, Member Manager of Wood Property Development, is developing the property with the support of the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency.

North Elevation

The Metro
South View

The Metro
View from 200 East

The Metro
Interior of three bedroom unit

The Metro
Storefront Windows

The Metro

June 2007 by T-Mac

September 12, 2007 by SLC Projects

December 22, 2007 -

metrocondos.com

metrocondos.com

Downtown interest strong, SLC condo market remains 'healthy'

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_8015974?source=rv

Project architect Mark Stonehocker takes a look at The Metro, downtown condos scheduled to be ready this summer. (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune)

Interior finishing is under way at The Metro condominiums at 350 S. 200 East. (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune

"The condo market is very healthy," De Lay said. "And I think it's going to continue to be healthy because more people want to downsize and simplify their lifestyle."
In some areas, condos are being marketed as a more affordable alternative to single-family homes. In other cases - especially in downtown Salt Lake City - their appeal lies in their low-maintenance (or maintenance-free) lifestyle

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 3:39 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

The Metro condominiums could be my favorite project in Salt Lake City right now. I have been excited about this project since they were first announced. I realize that cities across the country have similarly designed condominium projects, but the reason I love this project so much is that it brings a entirely new look to downtown Salt Lake City. I really feel that the design of this project will propel more creative and modern projects in SLC.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 5:43 AM

Agreed Future Mayor, I hope to see a lot more of the same downtown in the next four or five years. Of course, this will be along with your own Brownstone
projects. Another thing I like about the Metro is the location. There's so much going on in that immediate vicinity, and to be right next to the new library and City Hall would be a big plus also.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 8:44 AM
Up Up and Away

Great to see all of this development in SLC. Thanks for the updates.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Main St. skybridge gets OK from Salt Lake Planning Commission

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8063006?source=rv

An artist's rendering looking north up Main Street showing the proposed City Creek Center skybridge.

The project now calls for lighted sculptures - which CCRI officials called way-finders -- at each end of the crosswalk across Main Street to better direct traffic to the crosswalk.

Escalators on each side of Main Street also have been realigned in the new plans to run north-south, allowing pedestrians to access the base of the skybridge on the second level, cross the bridge and then immediately return to street level if they choose to do so.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 4:14 PM
Endless Moments...

Nice pics. I like those condos they look great...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
Great to see all of this development in SLC. Thanks for the updates.
You're welcome Pablosan, Downtown, is developing in to a pretty amazing place. It's going to be great place to live when all of the projects are finished in the next four or so years.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 6:07 PM

The NBA Utah Jazz play in this city right?
I've been to Salt Lake City, BTW.
With all do respect, as far as I know, nothing is Jazzy about Salt Lake City. I think they should have their name changed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations