HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 18, 2006, 1:10 PM
jersey

HOBOKEN | Projects & Construction

This is for keeping track of current, new and proposed construction projects in Hoboken, NJ.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2006, 4:29 AM
Posh

Sooo . . . where's the projects?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2006, 4:29 AM
Posh

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2006, 2:20 AM

New construction

Maxwell Place
Luxury Condominiums along the Hudson river
1125 Hudson St, Hoboken
www.maxwellplace.com

Hudson Tea Building
Loft rentals / condominiums
1500 Hudson St, Hoboken
www.hudsontea.com

Upper Grand - XII hundred Grand & XIII hundred Grand
1200 Grand Ave & 1300 Grand Ave
Luxury condominiums

Old Posted Jan 20, 2006, 3:15 AM

Hoboken rolls out W-elcome mat

By JARRETT RENSHAW
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

HOBOKEN - The Mile Square City now has something in common with San Francisco, Seoul, Sydney, Barcelona and neighboring New York City.

Hoboken will become the next city to boast a luxury W Hotel following yesterday's groundbreaking ceremony on the city's southern waterfront.

The W Hoboken, a sleek, wedge-shaped, 25-story building, will feature 225 rooms plus 37 luxury condos with unobstructed views of the Manhattan skyline, and an upscale bar and spa. Condo owners will enjoy all the luxuries of hotel life, including 24-hour room service, a daily maid and concierge service. It is scheduled to open in fall 2007.

Hoboken-based Applied Development will develop and own the facility, but it will be operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide.

Local civic and political leaders proudly hailed the coming of the W Hotel as a historic and transforming event in the city's history.

"This is a great milestone in the history of the city, and it solidifies that Hoboken is one of the most favored destinations in the state of New Jersey," said Mayor David Roberts, one of the biggest supporters of the project over the years.

The ground-breaking attracted political leaders from all corners, including Hoboken resident Rep. Robert Menendez, who said the W Hotel's presence "exemplifies the city's enormous potential and all the great success it has already realized."

"It's giving us an icon on the waterfront," boasted City Council President Chris Campos.

Michael Barry, president of Applied Housing, said before yesterday that the $62 million hotel would itself bring the city more than 200 jobs, not including construction work, and that guests would spend roughly $100 in Hoboken per visit.

Rumors were buzzing at the press conference that one of W's newest tenants will be newly elected Governor and Hoboken resident Jon Corzine, whose spokesman refused to confirm or deny.

Menendez was asked if he thought about moving into one of the luxury condos, and replied: "I live on a public servant salary, I don't think I could afford to live there."

Although the W Hotel is still to be built, it has already attracted at least one entrepreneur.

"When I was looking for a site for my restaurant, I looked all over Hoboken, but I chose this spot because of the W Hotel," said Richard Browne, owner of Quays restaurant, located less than a block from the site.

Browne, like others, believes the W Hotel will draw some attention away from Washington Street and cast some light on the night life on River Street, where many upscale restaurants have found homes in recent years.

"It's a huge plus for us, and for the town," Browne said.

© 2005 The Jersey Journal

Last edited by macmini; Jan 24, 2006 at 8:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 8:50 PM

The most exciting culturally anchored, transit-based, mixed-use community in Hoboken’s hottest market is yours to call home.
Immediately adjacent the 9th Street/Congress Street NJ Transit Light Rail Station and the core of Hoboken’s bourgeoning Northwest sub-market; Monroe Center is a luxury mixed-use development project with 435 condominiums, 125,000 square feet of retail, 1,120 parking spaces and the internationally renowned Monroe Center for the Arts. Monroe Center offers city living with a softer edge™. Features include stunning views of NYC, an emphasis on the arts, ample open space, rooftop gardens, a sense of community, and the charm of Hoboken.

ABOUT TO BREAK GROUND � The developers of the Monroe Center believe that their artist friendly and transit-accessible project will attract area home buyers.

Monroe Center Development, LLC is ready to break ground on Jan. 27 on a high-rise condominium tower at 800 Monroe St.

This will ultimately be part of a 435-unit development on a 5.5-acre site just steps from the Ninth Street stop of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail.

Not only is this one of the largest projects in the city, it is also one of the most ambitious. Just a decade ago the city's west side was filled with blighted and underutilized properties. But with Hoboken's real estate boom, and the western alignment of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail, the conditions were right for construction.

The developers hope to create a mixed use transit village, with condos, restaurants and shopping, while supporting and bolstering the local artist community.

Nuts and bolts

When completed, the Monroe Center project, which will be built between Seventh and Ninth streets on Monroe and Jackson streets, will include four high-rise residential buildings of between 10 and 13 stories, with ground floor retail, commercial arts space, and mezzanine space. The residential component will be built in several phases.

On Jan. 27, the developers are scheduled to break ground on the 123 unit tower at 800 Monroe St. This building will take between 16 and 18 months to complete, said the developers.

In addition, two former industrial buildings at 700 Monroe St. which house the Monroe Center for the Arts' office and loft spaces, theaters and galleries, are being completely renovated.

The total project also will include be 125,000 square feet of retail space.

Dil Hoda, the managing partner of the development team, added that he is looking forward to finally starting construction. "When we started out, many people this property was really far out on the west side of the city," Hoda said. "But now it's an area that is blossoming."

Artists and small businesses

Already underway is the renovation of the interior of the existing Monroe Center for the Arts at 720 Monroe St. Since opening in 1990, the converted Levelor Blinds Factory has maintained an eclectic mixture of businesses that now include ad agencies, interior designers, cake bakers, architects, toy makers, dance instructors, and yoga studios.

Over the years, the Monroe Center has gained the reputation for attracting some of the city's best artists and most innovative small businesses and entrepreneurs.

Currently, 95 percent of the 110,000 square feet of office space located within the center is being leased by 70 artists and 130 small businesses.

Hoda said that featuring the artists will helps everyone involved. "[The condo owners] will have full access to all of these services. Imagine being able to walk next door to take lessons from a Julliard-trained musician, or take a pottery or dance class. But the artists also benefit because they have a new customer base just steps way," Hoda said.

The new construction of the project will also include seven new artist work and live loft spaces, a two-screen independent movie theater, and a public open area with outdoor performance space.

An 'urban transit village'

Another selling point, said Hoda, is the project's location. Hoda said that because of the property's proximity to the light rail, this project will be a good example of the "smart growth" principle of a "transit friendly community."

A transit village is a state-promoted planning initiative to redevelop and revitalize communities around transit facilities, making them appealing choices for people to live in, while lessening their reliance on cars.

More than required parking

In Hoboken, parking is always an issue, and this is one of the few projects that will provide more parking spaces than the zoning requires. When fully built out, the project will have 1,120 garage parking spaces to complement the surrounding off-street parking.

Park space

According to the developers, outdoor areas at Monroe Center will include one large plaza with stylistic fountains, seating decks and a "hammock park." Each new building at the community will also feature rooftop gardens. "Monroe Center's appeal as a destination will be enhanced by its substantial outdoor public areas," points out Gerard Saddel, a partner of Monroe Center Development, LLC. "A series of public parks and a plaza will be scattered throughout the entire development."

According to the developers, condominiums will run between $450,000 and $1.5 million, and they expect to have a Web site and sales office open in the next month or so.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 9:11 PM

The W Hoboken? No offense, but something just doesn't sound right about that.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 9:34 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Wow...there's shit happening in Hoboken?!

Dayum. I love the W tower...but the "W Hoboken" sounds...dumb?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 9:51 PM
Do you like... Huey Lewis

^um, have either of the last two posters BEEN to Hoboken or Jersey City? There's large new construction projects on just about every block. These cities have great existing residential and commercial areas, have been gentrifying since the 80s, and now that those are rehabbed the old industrial land closer to the waterfront is being redeveloped. The PATH train will take you to either downtown or midown pretty quickly, and the light rail shuttles people between the different Hudson riverfront cities.
"I'm exceedingly pro-growth, but I have to respectfully dissagree. Growth is not the holy grail, smart growth is. Uncontrolled, careless growth which ends up creating problems in the long run is called cancer." -Eigenwelt

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 9:57 PM

seriously...hoboken is a great nice place to live if u can afford it...wish i would have bought property in hoboken 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 11:11 PM

Hoboken is a little gem. True, it's overrun with frat-boys on the weekends, but this former frat-boy likes this little town. Fun fact: Hoboken (1 square mile) has more bars than any other city per capita in the nation. I'll drink to that.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
Posting Quick Reply

Nope, haven't been to Hoboken lately.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2006, 12:43 AM
Mindless Drone

My sister just got an apartment in Hoboken. Hobeken reminds me alot of the back bay. It's in a concentrated area and the houses are brick and have varrying design. If I had to work in NYC, I think Hoboken would be a great place to live. Great Bars, Great Shops, and great transportation into Manhattan.

Miami Heat - Dwyane Wade - 2006 NBA Champions

Old Posted Jan 25, 2006, 2:13 AM
furified freestyle

i have always really liked hoboken inspite of its high weekend douche quotient, though it does lend to good clean entertainment. the night before i threw my buddy's bachelor party we went out to a bar in hoboken and without even getting half way through my pint of beer, some coked out girl put her hand on some girl's husband's crotch. the wife didn't waste three seconds before cold cocking her right across her in the eye -- knocked her ass straight to the ground. then when THAT girl's (male) friend tried to break it up, he knocked the wife over, which prompted the husband to clock this dude right in his nose, causing an insta-gusher. all the while, the too-small-of-a bouncer is just yelling to break it up while it's going down. we had a good spot at the bar so we just watched it all happen and toasted to it when they were all cleared out.

so anyway yeah, i dig hoboken but 9 out of 10 new projects there are just FUGLY. even my buddy's condo building, which is built to resemble a five story rowhome, just comes out tacky (on the outside -- inside it's real nice). still, hoboken is an excellent place to live (especially if you like italian food), the lightrail goes both directions, and the path goes two directions in manhattan and another in jersey. hoboken rocks.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2006, 11:49 AM

sounds like a perfect night out to me, Gio. A little girl on girl action, coke whores and spilled blood in my beer.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2006, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInTheZone
^um, have either of the last two posters BEEN to Hoboken or Jersey City? There's large new construction projects on just about every block. These cities have great existing residential and commercial areas, have been gentrifying since the 80s, and now that those are rehabbed the old industrial land closer to the waterfront is being redeveloped. The PATH train will take you to either downtown or midown pretty quickly, and the light rail shuttles people between the different Hudson riverfront cities.
Yeah, I've been there. It is a fine place. However, typically W Hotels are in locations that have some sort of edge or chic appeal....which Hoboken does not in the slightest.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 2:20 AM

Maids, Spas and Sweeping Views

HIGH STYLE Rendering of the W Hotel planned for Hoboken.
Article Tools Sponsored By
By ANTOINETTE MARTIN
Published: November 5, 2006

WHILE virtually all signs point to a housing market gone limp, sales at two opulent projects in Hoboken and Jersey City indicate that there is still vibrancy at the very high end

At the 55-story Trump Plaza condominium tower rising in Jersey City, more than 100 of 445 units priced from $425,000 to more than $2 million were sold in the first 10 days. At the W Hotel under construction beside the Hudson River in Hoboken, 22 of 36 condos offered at prices from $775,000 to $4.5 million were sold in three weeks.

The Trump building, the first of two planned towers that will be the tallest residential structures in New Jersey, has only dirt, foundation, scaffolding and cranes right now at its site at Washington and Bay Streets, a block from the Exchange Place PATH station. The W, which will be the first of its brand in New Jersey, currently has a similar look at its site on River Street in Hoboken.

Nevertheless, both projects have sales offices near their construction sites, with scale models, streaming video, detailed floor plans and mockups of finished rooms.

At Trump’s lavish sales office on the 13th floor of an office building on Montgomery Street in Jersey City, condo shoppers can get a bird’s-eye view of the construction site and the panoramic view across the river that many tower occupants will enjoy.

The sales office has the same back-lighted onyx walls, Macassar ebony portals and French limestone floors that are planned for the two-story lobby of Trump Plaza, as well as kitchen, bath and room models in the two interior styles that will be offered — one more “glamorous,” the other more “contemporary,” according to the sales agents.

The amenity package includes maid service, valets, porters and the use of Zipcars — Mercedes Benzes available for hourly rent. In addition, 41,000 square feet of “lifestyle attractions” have been built into the project, including a Roman-style spa, a golf-game simulator, a children’s playroom, an outdoor pool, a rooftop green-space and a landscaped plaza.

One-, two- and three-bedroom units at Trump Plaza will range from 750 to 2,050 square feet.

A majority of the condos — about 300 — will be one-bedroom units, according to Dean S. Geibel, managing partner of Metro Homes, a partner in the project. All of the one-bedroom units at the W in Hoboken were quickly sold, leaving the larger units, priced at $1.85 million and up.

Mr. Geibel’s company, based in Hoboken, originally proposed the two-tower project in Jersey City and sometime later joined with Trump to build it.

“We determined there is a strong market for young professionals, especially those working in Jersey City’s ‘Wall Street West’ and the Wall Street across the river, who want the Trump lifestyle of on-the-go urbanity,” Mr. Geibel said. Many of the amenities are pitched directly to such a buyer, he noted — the ultra-modern stainless-steel washer-dryer unit tucked under the kitchen sink, for example.

Mr. Geibel acknowledged that the common charge was higher than at other waterfront properties — $560 to $611 for one-bedroom units, $811 to $1,050 for two-bedrooms, and more for three-bedroom top-floor units — but added that this was because the amenity package was “unprecedented” in New Jersey.

He said the strong pace of initial sales justified the decision to build so many units at a time when inventory had swollen and prices had begun to drop across the state and nation. “The Wall Street economy is bullish,” with the Dow Jones industrial average recently setting record highs, Mr. Geibel said.

“Plus, when you are offering a world-class building with outstanding views, the highest-quality service and unbelievable amenities — all with the Trump name on it — buyers are going to show up,” he said. “We didn’t really have any doubt.”

At the Hoboken W, the one-, two- and three-bedroom condos on the top nine floors of the 225-room hotel and the two 26th-floor penthouse units with four bedrooms are all higher than neighboring buildings in the Waterfront Corporate Center, giving them unobstructed views from floor-to-ceiling windows and from balconies.

The glass-and-zinc-faced tower was designed inside and out by Gwathmey Siegel and Associates, an architecture firm in Manhattan known for innovative modernist style that will stand out amid Hoboken’s traditional squat brick structures, according to the builders, the Applied Development Company of Hoboken.

“This is going to be so different and special for Hoboken that some people have been waiting anxiously to buy homes ever since word got out a couple of years ago that we were going to build it,” said Michael Barry, a principal at Applied Development.

Home buyers at the W will have access to the hotel’s planned high-end restaurant, the Living Room lounge and bar area with a view of the Manhattan skyline, the Bliss Spa, 24-hour room service and the chain’s concierge service, which is dedicated to fulfilling whims.

“You can call downstairs and say you’d like to arrange a four-course dinner for a party of 12 in three hours, and have it done,” Mr. Barry said. “You can be seized with the desire for Beluga caviar and Champagne at midnight, and the staff will scurry around and find just what you want.”

Condo residents can also pay extra for daily housekeeping and laundry service, pet walking and grooming, houseplant maintenance, in-home spa service and so on, Mr. Barry said.

The condo units feature 10-foot ceilings — as do those in the Trump building — and bamboo floors, granite floors and counters in the kitchens, built-in wine coolers, and soaker tubs and glass-tile walls in the baths.

The W condos will be ready for occupancy in the summer of 2008, according to Mr. Barry, and the Trump Plaza building is slated to open in late 2007, Mr. Geibel said. Construction of the second Trump tower, which will be 50 stories, will begin once a large percentage of units in the first tower have been sold, Mr. Geibel added.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 2:32 AM

Under Construction

Hoboken W

The W Hotel in Hoboken has either put Hoboken on the map or totally ruined the W's street cred, depending on who you ask. Either way, construction presses forward.

Looking south from 3rd Street

And West from Sinatra Drive:

Maxwell Place

Last edited by macmini; Jan 1, 2007 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 3:14 AM
Baryonic Lord

Hey not bad...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 8:39 PM

yeah, looks really good- anyone have any updated pictures of the developments. or any new development plans

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations