HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 7:52 PM
amateur urbanite

A weekend in Atlanta?

I will be going up to Atlanta this weekend for a few days and was wondering if you locals have any suggestions. I've been to Atlanta before, but haven't ever really spent much time there or explored. Yes, I will be going to a Brave's game, but I don't particularly want to visit the Coca-Cola museum or aquarium again. These are kind of on my list so far: Little Five Points, Underground Atlanta, and/or possibly the Atlantic Station. So, I guess my question is, what are a few things I should definitely try to see/ do while there?

Sorry if this is too broad, and yes I have looked at the Atlanta website, but I would rather hear some local suggestions first-hand. Thanks in advance.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:13 PM

Don't miss Stone Mountain!! Lots to see and do there.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:27 PM

NIX Atlantic Station and Underground. Nothing against AS but there's nothing to "see". You really don't want to go to Underground

High Museum, Atlanta Botanical Garden, shopping in Buckhead, show at The Fox (tour if you could)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 9:35 PM

Check out the neighborhoods; they're what Atlanta really has going for it.

Inman Park (with Little Five Points), Candler Park, Cabbagetown, Grant Park, Midtown and Virginia-Highland are all extremely nice, walkable neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:34 PM
amateur urbanite

Sounds good. Thanks again everyone. Is there anything at Five Points (not L5P) to see or do?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 10:46 PM

You could do the Atlanta Preservation Center's walking tour of historic Downtown. That's pretty interesting if it's not boiling hot.

http://www.preserveatlanta.com/walki...ric%20Downtown

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau_Mauvilla View Post
Sounds good. Thanks again everyone. Is there anything at Five Points (not L5P) to see or do?
Five Points is within walking distance of CNN, Centennial Park, the Aquarium, the World of Coke, Fairlie-Poplar neighborhood, and lots of Atlanta's gorgeous old buildings. On a nice day it's fun to walk around downtown.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 1:13 PM

It depends on the kinds of things you would like to see -- whether you are looking for museums, an urban experience, parks, restaurants, walkable areas or driveable areas.

Minus World of Coke and the aquarium, from 5 Points my favorite things to see are (as previously mentioned) the nice old buildings in Fairlie Poplar, CNN Center and Centennial Park. I also like the mini urban jungle experience of the Peachtree Center area, just for building watching mostly. If you are down in that central downtown area and need a restaurant recommendation, I suggest Social on West Peachtree Place. Also there's the Peasant Bistro near Centennial Park.

If you visit the High Museum, the area around it along Peachtree Street is very pretty to walk through, and if you want to check out Atlantic Station (I like it, though I know others don't) you can take a free shuttle bus there and back from the High Museum MARTA station -- very convenient and a nice way to get out of your car.

I also like the Zoo/Grant Park -- and that area would give you a good glimpse of the kind of revitalized old neighborhood with restored houses that you can see all along the eastern edge of the city.

Piedmont Park/Botanical Gardens is a good place to visit too.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouveau_Mauvilla View Post
Little Five Points.......

So, I guess my question is, what are a few things I should definitely try to see/ do while there?
That's my hood! If you are into excellent beers, try The Porter. Next door is the new location of Criminal Records (worth a visit) then a few doors down from that is the Euclid Ave Yacht Club (get a seat in the non-smoking section by the open windows for optimum people watching). Wax-n-Facts around the corner on Moreland is a great vintage record (ie vinyl) store and a little further is Junkman's Daughter which is always fun.

If you're driving, head a little north on North Highland and check out Manuel's Tavern which has been open 50-something years and a block north from there is Young Blood gallery and Eclipse de Sol (nice patio). Once you get north of Ponce there are a whole bunch of things along Highland.

Have a great time!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 6:48 PM

Oh, and I'd highly recommend the Atlanta History Center on West Paces. That'll give you a great sense of what the city is about.

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2009, 5:45 PM
amateur urbanite

Well, I'm heading out later this afternoon. Any cafes or lunch places I should try to hit up? I'm going to be primarily in the Five Points area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta