HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:38 AM
~Hook'em~

A zoo would be awesome! But there is nowhere with enough space for one that I can think of. Perhaps some of the Seaholm sights might have had the space needed for one, but I can't think of anywhere around Rainey that could. It would be cool there if there were space.

Maybe where the Town Lake Animal Shelter was (Pets Alive! is) and in those fields around there? Or just on the other side of I-35 from Rainey District? Where the health services is and some of those parks? That area is booming right now.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:59 AM
Rundberg & I35

I always envisioned a zoo being located in Zilker Park near Mopac. There is a lot of underutilized space that would be perfect for a big project like a zoo.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 3:24 AM

6th Street is a pretty big zoo.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 3:37 AM
~Hook'em~

@ E7thSt That is an interesting idea. A good area over there would be on the other side of Mopac. In the part of Zilker right there between Mopac and Rollingwood between Rollingwood Dr and Town lake. It is near the botanical guardians. It has a large area with varying elevations that could be used very well. The area is about the same size as the Columbus Zoo and bigger than the Houston Zoo.

@ Hill Country - As is West Campus. lol

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:31 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
That's what I'm saying...convert a block or two into renovated houses where artists can house their galleries of hand made jewelry, blown glass, pottery, crafts, antiques, ect... throw in some coffee shops, sandwich shops whatever and make it another spot to visit dt. The more I consider the possibilities, the less highrise construction I want to see here. I think I could handle tall buildings along the edges though and leave the center green and park like. Shoot, I'm even thinking a zoo would be cool here.
I agree with what you are saying and think overall that is the way the city envisions the area with most of the highrises along the edges. In fact if you look at the rendering of the ideal future of Downtown you can clearly see Rainy street as almost a park surrounded by highrises which I think would be awesome. Make Rainey a green pedestrian based thoroughfare or maybe a even a one way street with no parking and wide sidewalks. There is a zoomed in view of the southeast quadrant floating around if somebody would be kind enough to post it since my computer has been acting up been on here using my phone.

By the way as I was just looking for above mentioned rendering I found a map of the Rainey Street District that shows the main stretch a historical landmark district which means nobody has to worry about all those houses disappearing. Yay

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Sep 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
6th Street is a pretty big zoo.
Yeah, really just saw Anthony Bourdain's SXSW episode of No Reservations and 6th St was like you said...a zoo. Off topic but this is the second time a famous foodie came to town to claim our BBQ the best they ever had...the Man VS Food guy and Bourdain. High praise considering all the places they've eaten.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:25 PM
Meh

I sent an email to the Sutton Company, the developer, this was their response.

Quote:
Currently the plan is for one building 8 floors tall covering most of the property.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 11:35 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I'm fine with that. I'd rather have 8 stories in this side of downtown anyway.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm disappointed. Two huge towers turns into one small building. Oh well.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 1:30 AM
Meh

8 floors is lame. The parking garages for Austin SkyHouse and Windsor on the Park are already gobbling up land in that area. Not to mention Milago Condominiums is a skyscraper laying on its side. That's one area of downtown where point towers absolutely make sense. Very small lots, very little land, waterfront views with issues of people worried about hulking towers. These buildings probably would have been pretty large, but they were far enough north that they wouldn't have loomed over the lake very much. If they're shooting for 8 floors now, I hope it doesn't happen.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 1:44 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Okay. You're right. I just don't like the idea of 40+ towers directly adjacent to 35. I'd rather smaller towers by against 35 with the taller ones a block back, for aesthetic reasons.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 1:44 AM

That's like changing the menu from prime rib to spam rib.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:09 AM

Eight floors on a location with no height restrictions is a waste of airspace.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 8:34 AM
Everywhere all at once

I sort of feel like there are better locations for towers of this height. The tricky thing about the Rainey Street district is that its current character...and IMO what makes it such a unique desirable location to live, work and play...is the bungalow low-slung character of the historic buildings that have been converted to great bars and restaurants. Once the Fairmont is built, it will create a great visual exclamation point at the top of the avenue, and it's a great building...but the Rainey Center towers were somewhat generic in design, and once you build that site, whatever is built will bump right up against the Rainey Street bungalows for however long into the future. I think something roughly half the height of the Fairmont, with excellent street interaction would be most ideal; the best possible transition from the city's tallest building to historic one-story buildings. Suffice it to say, I wouldn't be disappointed if they went back to the drawing board here...but only eight floors is definitely a p&ssy move. Pardon my french..

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I sort of feel like there are better locations for towers of this height. The tricky thing about the Rainey Street district is that its current character...and IMO what makes it such a unique desirable location to live, work and play...is the bungalow low-slung character of the historic buildings that have been converted to great bars and restaurants. Once the Fairmont is built, it will create a great visual exclamation point at the top of the avenue, and it's a great building...but the Rainey Center towers were somewhat generic in design, and once you build that site, whatever is built will bump right up against the Rainey Street bungalows for however long into the future. I think something roughly half the height of the Fairmont, with excellent street interaction would be most ideal; the best possible transition from the city's tallest building to historic one-story buildings. Suffice it to say, I wouldn't be disappointed if they went back to the drawing board here...but only eight floors is definitely a p&ssy move. Pardon my french..

I agree with this. Something in the 300 foot range would be ideal for that spot that is a bit taller than SkyHouse. 8 stories on this lot is such a waste that it seems like it would be better to sell the rights to someone that wanted to develop tall. I mean if you only want to build 8 stories, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a lot with a CVC cap and sell the current lot to someone wanting to build big?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
I agree with this. Something in the 300 foot range would be ideal for that spot that is a bit taller than SkyHouse. 8 stories on this lot is such a waste that it seems like it would be better to sell the rights to someone that wanted to develop tall. I mean if you only want to build 8 stories, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a lot with a CVC cap and sell the current lot to someone wanting to build big?
I agree with both points. I would like to see minimum height requirements for blocks not in the CVC. I thought the City of Austin was encouraging building up to discourage building out, ie: sprawl. Maybe they need to put some teeth into that philosophy.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 9:51 PM

Unhappy

Say Goodbye to Lustre Pearl!

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=182867

As a resident of the Rainey Street District I am starting to really worry that we might be losing the great vibe we have going on in the area.

I hope these bungalows that Sutton is going to movie will be placed right nearby. Also I heard a while back ago that JMI owns the properties on the opposite side of the street.

78 Rainey Street & 80 Rainey Street.

I'm sure soon we will hear news of development on that property that the MAC had an issue with also. (74 Rainey Street)

My question is why are developers all vying to take up space on Rainey Street? Yes its prime but why not that huge lot where IHOP sits (cant wait to see that gone), or the one near the Waller Creek where the house was knocked down on Red River, or more South of Rainey?

It just seems like they would be destroying what makes the place really unique. :/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2013, 8:12 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
8 floors is lame. The parking garages for Austin SkyHouse and Windsor on the Park are already gobbling up land in that area. Not to mention Milago Condominiums is a skyscraper laying on its side. That's one area of downtown where point towers absolutely make sense. Very small lots, very little land, waterfront views with issues of people worried about hulking towers. These buildings probably would have been pretty large, but they were far enough north that they wouldn't have loomed over the lake very much. If they're shooting for 8 floors now, I hope it doesn't happen.
I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s as simple as an 8-story building not being financially worthwhile for the site they are in the process of compiling. Just doesn't make since. I believe whomever you spoke to at The Sutton Co. was just blowing you off.

Think of it this way…they tell you it’s an 8-story building and you think to yourself: “how boring,” and refocus your time onto a more interesting project. If they were to tell you it’s one 45-story tower and another 55-story tower…now you’re interested and end up trying to ask them more questions about the project at a time when they don't want to mess with anyone from the outside.

Unsolicited inquiries from outsiders are not what they want at this time. Remember, the city of Austin is considering rewriting the rules for the district, which could end up forcing a total redesign of “Rainey Gateway Center” anyway. This, among a myriad of other complex issues are at hand.

Should it really end up being one, 8-story building…so be it.

On a side note, even though I would love to see the originally purported development come to fruition, I had my doubts from the get-go. The proposed project is far bigger, and more complex, than anything else with which The Sutton Co. has been involved in the past. Phase 1 of Rainey Gateway Center was described as being a roughly $100MM investment (5x the investment of their largest deals).

Nonetheless, the project is still a possibility. On the other hand, The Sutton Co. may end up compiling the sites, obtaining all necessary entitlements for the project, and either find an equity partner(s) for the development or sell the project to another, more experienced developer as a shovel-ready project.

Who knows…the story is still being written on this one.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s as simple as an 8-story building not being financially worthwhile for the site they are in the process of compiling. Just doesn't make since. I believe whomever you spoke to at The Sutton Co. was just blowing you off.
Well they just submitted a site plan

And if you go here and click on the link AULCC_Rainey_Driskell_MF_DATA.xls, it opens an Excel file that says:

Quote:
The subject site is located at Rainey Street and Driskill Street and encompasses the addresses 89-97 Rainey St. The tract is ±2.21 acres and consists of 11 legal lots, as well as a portion of a 12th, as defined by City of Austin and Travis County, as well as the existing alleyway between the lots. The proposed development is an eight (8)-story mixed use building with an internal parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2013, 4:01 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Well they just submitted a site plan

And if you go here and click on the link AULCC_Rainey_Driskell_MF_DATA.xls, it opens an Excel file that says:
They are going to tear down Lustre Pearl and a bunch of other houses to build an 8 story building? Not good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin