HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 11:42 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Dec. 18th

[IMG]
blackness by matteroffact, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 1:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

cool.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2013, 9:42 PM
Community Guy

Just booked a trip in April to Shanghai, will definitely be going to get some shots of this beast!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 4:34 AM

^ Cool. I'll be around then, so feel free to PM if you want to meet up for a drink or walkabout.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
This is one of the most awsome photos I've seen on here in a while. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 5:54 PM
if I sang out of tune

Photo copyright: casper_shaw

Jan 1.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^simply amazing. What a shot.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:17 PM
them bones

Absolutely crazy how 'short' Jin Mao looks from that angle.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Kind of makes me sad though, as Jin Mao is one of my all time favorite buildings. Amazing that a near 1,400 footer can basically be lost in any skyline. What a great picture.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 9:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Awesome photo. I really like this building, and the complex, but I wish they could do something better with them at street level. This amazing building deserves better.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 11:30 PM
New Yorker for life

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...06443445811168

Shanghai Tower Developers Seek Leasing Agent

By Esther Fung
Jan. 7, 2014

Quote:
The state-owned developer of what will be China's tallest building is taking the unusual step of moving to hire a leasing agent, underscoring the challenges of finding tenants as the country's economy cools.

The 2,073-foot Shanghai Tower—which will be the largest skyscraper in the world after the Burj Khalifa in Dubai when it is completed next year—hasn't yet signed any leases for its 220,000 square meters (2.4 million square feet) of office space. The project is coming to market at a time when rental rates are under pressure from slipping demand and a surge of new supply.

To help fill the building, the owners—a group including state-backed entities Shanghai Chengtou Corp., Shanghai Lujiazui Finance & Trade Zone Development Co., and Shanghai Construction Group Co. plan to hire a leasing agent, an unorthodox step in China, particularly for a state-owned developer.

The plan was confirmed in an e-mail to The Wall Street Journal from Grace Zhu, Shanghai Tower's marketing director. She said that the developer has started to interview real estate brokers.

People involved with the project say that bringing in a leasing agent is important because the developer wants to attract major financial institutions and other international tenants, not just state agencies and other domestic businesses. "They don't want this to just be a Chinese building," said Daniel Winey, managing principal of the Asia region for Gensler, the architecture firm that designed the building. "If you want to attract tenants like Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse, you're going to need an international broker."

...Many brokers predict that demand will eventually catch up with the new space being delivered. They point out that the city's office market, with 10 million square meters of top-quality space, still pales in comparison with financial centers like Manhattan, which has four times that amount.

But given Shanghai Tower's high cost it will likely take longer for the building to make money than typical office projects. Mr. Winey, the Gensler managing principal, said he doubts any private developer would ever attempt such an expensive design.

"I don't think you would attempt anything like this unless you have a 30-year plus investment horizon," he said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Awesome photo. I really like this building, and the complex, but I wish they could do something better with them at street level. This amazing building deserves better.
Pudong in general is a pretty poor experience from a pedestrian standpoint. Central Shanghai (across the river) is fascinating.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Shanghai Tower Developers Seek Leasing Agent

So if leasing has slowed, does that mean the 6% vacancy rate is a bit of a mirage? Not even Houston has a rate that low, and it hasn't had the same rate of development Shanghai has.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
So if leasing has slowed, does that mean the 6% vacancy rate is a bit of a mirage? Not even Houston has a rate that low, and it hasn't had the same rate of development Shanghai has.
I was about to say. I always thought 5-10% was optimum for an office building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:55 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Unreal!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 7:07 PM

Simply incredible. I think this is the most awe-inspiring skyscraper out there currently. It makes SWFC look mediocre and Mao look pathetic. Burj may be taller, but this thing is just stunning on a different level.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2014, 10:05 PM
+

China will start to recover by May of this year.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:42 AM

I forgot to post this one. It's from last year, but it was a nice, clear night to view the tower/skyline, so I thought I'd post it anyway.

lujiazui tint by matteroffact, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 9:07 AM
Imster

With the cladding now approaching the height of the SWFC it seems months away from completion. I wonder what next super structure will go up in shanghai as the skyline will be dominated with the trio of 400+ meter buildings. As the population grows I believe more 2000 ft buildings will go up we have reached a dawn since the Burj Khalifa where 2000ft plus buildings are acceptable. Buildings need to be safe in most kind of disasters lots of lessons have been learned in design since the wtc collapse.

This building the shanghai tower is yet another beacon of human endeavour and achievement
I can't wait for its crowning moment. Please keep sending pictures on aerial shots are the best

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 9:10 AM
Imster

Shanghai has 2 awesome buildings in the world. What's next?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive