HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:08 AM

Saying a Camera takes Nice Pictures is like Saying a Guitar Plays Nice Melodies

Quote:
The following was left as a comment on a previous post by one of our readers – Angelino Pan y Vino (no link given). I thought it was a great story and one that might encourage readers who might feel they have lower quality cameras and gear.
Read more: http://www.digital-photography-schoo...#ixzz1TTnvtagJ

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 7:25 PM

Well, it's true: a great musician can make great music on a crappy guitar, and a great photographer can make great photos on a crappy camera.

However, the crappy camera and the crappy guitar impose limitations. Your crappy guitar will not give you the best tone, and the intonation may be off, and it may go out of tune easily. Your crappy camera might have low resolution, won't give you shallow depth of field, or might be too slow to capture something.

But the point remains, having awesome equipment won't make you better at either music or photography. I'm experienced in both music and photography and both arts seem to have a large share of equipment junkies with little talent.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 10:24 PM
Ex Houstonian

I hate it more than anything when some ignorant of photography people see a picture and ask right away, what camera do you use, it takes great photos. Ahhhh!!!!! No, the photographer takes good photos, not the camera!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 12:20 AM
tilted & shifted

^I think you're confusing image quality with composition. If a good photographer composes the exact same shot and takes it with two cameras--one shitty and the other expensive--the latter camera will inevitably produce better image quality. No matter how talented a photographer is, he cannot make shots from a shitty digicam look like those from an SLR, in terms of image quality. Were that not to be true, few would spend the money they do on better gear. Photojournalists for The New York Times would be using $50 cameras. Basically, cameras are responsible for good image quality, people are responsible for good compositions.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 3:10 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

^Something that should be stapled to the door of every Best Buy and camera shop in America.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 3:11 AM
Ex Houstonian

Yes, but people who arent photographers when they see a photo and thats all they say is that camera takes great photos, thats what pisses me off. Yes, if you have the exact composition by two cameras, one a Nikon D3x, the other a Nikon point and shoot than of course the D3X will take a better picture but still, you could have a Nikon D3X and a point and shoot. If the person with the point and shoot understands composition, lighting, and is creative, and the person who has the D3X has more money than talent than the person with the cheap point and shoot will get a better photo. People when they see an amazing photo shouldnt say, wow, that camera takes great photos, they should say, wow, you take great photos.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 1:06 PM
Honored Member

On a week-long visit to San Francisco more than thirty years ago, I took along my Rolleiflex TLR. It's a superb camera that lacks any automation; it doesn't even have a built in exposure meter. One day I just wanted to do the standard tourist stuff (Hyde Street Pier, etc.), and I was tired of lugging a bag with big, delicate camera, meter, filters, film, etc. I was staying with a friend and I borrowed his Kodak instamatic. Remember those? Plastic, cartridge-loading with, I believe, 126 Kodacolor 100ASA (ISO) color-negative film with wide exposure latitude, strictly point-and-shoot with no adjustments of any kind. I stuck the camera in one pocket and an extra cartidge or two in another and away I went.

I worked within the limitations of the Instamatic, trying to fill each frame with colorful, simple compositions. The sky was blue and the sun was bright and there was just enough atmospheric haze to soften contrast, and I got some pleasing photos. When I returned to work and shared my vacation photos with co-workers, more than once people looking at the Instamatic photos said something like, "Oooh! What kind of camera do you have?"

At standard machine-print size the prints didn't have quite the crispness of Rollei photos, and they certainly wouldn't have stood up to much enlargement, but casual family-vacation snapshooters don't look for those factors. Often they can benefit from a little coaching on choosing and composing their subjects while watching out for harsh lighting contrasts and jarring composition elements (telephone pole appearing to grow from grandma's head, etc.) and understanding their camera's limitations.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 3:18 PM
arf

"A poor carpenter blames his tools."

I am a shitty carpenter. No tool is going to fix that.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
People when they see an amazing photo shouldnt say, wow, that camera takes great photos, they should say, wow, you take great photos.
Absolutely agree with you 100%. Of course a better camera takes better quality pictures, any fool realises that. But does that mean anybody with a good camera could be a professional?? No of course not, all we are seeing is an era of clueless people with great cameras, and an overabundance of substandard photography taken with quality cameras.

When someone says to me (which has happened on numerous occasions) "your camera takes great photos", the implication is certainly that "if I had your camera I could have taken that....at least thats what I feel.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 3:26 PM
3rd Coast King

I have a crappy camera and it takes great pictures.

My Book

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post
I have a crappy camera and it takes great pictures.
Same. My gear was pretty crappy to begin with (except my wide angle), and it's all taken a beating: dropped on rocks, pelted with hail, falling into a firepit, etc.

In the end, it still works pretty damn well (although an upgrade might be in order soon).

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 10:32 PM
I am a typical

I use tape to close the battery compartment on my 2.1MP camera from 2001. When people find out what kind of camera it is, they're usually impressed by what I've done with it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 5:44 PM
dream fast

I use a well worn Lumix DMC-ZS10 which I've dropped a few times.
My goal is do more with less. BTW, nice thread.

Last edited by george; Oct 31, 2011 at 7:40 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography