HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 2:41 PM

Family house residential skyscraper

I've had a problem that's been on my mind for a while; maybe you folks can help out.

The short: I want to know if a residential skyscraper can reasonably emulate the size and amenities of suburban single-family housing: basically, a 12+ story building of 2,000 square-foot, two-story units, each with a minimum 500 square foot lawn-ready deck. Construction costs shouldn't be more than $500,000 per unit.

Why: Family housing is tough to find in dense urban areas, especially with enough private outdoor space. The concept of the "rowscraper" goes some of the way to fixing this issue, but it still lacks the outdoor space. Decks every other floor with enough area to simulate a back yard are, to my mind, a reasonable solution.

However, I don't know of any non-luxury buildings that approach this concept, and so it might not be possible. So I ask you: is this possible? Is this desirable? Or am I totally off my nut?

Have an article about the San Francisco Bay Area? Get in touch - PM me.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:20 PM

Several new South Florida developments fit the bill on all your points except for the most important: price. Regalia in Sunny Isles for example had all units ~5,000 square feet and up with almost 1000 square foot outdoor decks but the units cost upwards of $8 million and up. Mansions at Acqualina was another such development with just 1 or 2 large units per floor, huge outdoor decks but prices start ~$10 million. I don't know how you could make family sized units work in a skyscraper at an affordable price without some kind of government funding/incentives.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2015, 3:48 PM

This is a bit different than what you are looking for, but BIG's "The mountain" is a Danish development that combines family housing with dense building. Basically, a slope consisting of one-story residential units is created, where the roof of every unit is the terrace of the one above. A parking garage is put underneath it. As far as I know the extra building costs are justified by the increased desirability of the units. It's only 10 stories, I think, but it shows there's other ways to think about your conundrum.

Source

Bjerget(the mountain) on google images

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture