HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:18 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Can we please chat about New Orleans?

I'd like to have a chat about New Orleans, please. It's as if I haven't been to my grandmothers house in a long time and it would sure be nice if i paid a visit. Let's talk.

Last edited by Centropolis; Aug 1, 2018 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Never been.

It's number one on my list of US cities I've never visted.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:20 PM

I'm thinking about staying uptown, or perhaps the garden district for new years. i'm more familiar with uptown and the areas around tulane, but much less so the garden district, or even irish channel. is irish channel an alright place to park my bones?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I'm thinking about staying uptown, or perhaps the garden district for new years. i'm more familiar with uptown and the areas around tulane, but much less so the garden district, or even irish channel. is irish channel an alright place to park my bones?
Why do you want to go there and what do you want to do there? That should probably determine where you stay. Most out-of-towners are mainly attracted to the Garden District, French Quarter, Faubourg Marigny and the restaurants and nightlife in those places (plus the CBD in the middle of that group). But if you are interested in something else or a particular restaurant or whatever in another part of town . . . .

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:25 PM
Never Dell

She's had some medical problems lately but I don't recall all of the specifics. Lost some weight but has been recovering. Still a good singer and loves to cook. I feel like I need to fix something when I go though...living room and kitchen are fine but a lot of other stuff needs repair.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:26 PM

During March they have a Mardi Gras.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
During March they have a Mardi Gras.
Unless you are an alcoholic Millennial, Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) is the WORST time to go to New Orleans (excepting maybe anytime from May to October if you hate hot weather). The Mardi Gras SEASON actually begins at Twelth Night--the 12th night after Christmas--and I most enjoy the city duing that period: Late January, February. The weather is cool, there are some Mardi Gras events happening but the crowds have not yet arrived. Late fall and the pre-Christmas season can be good too.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:31 PM

Went for the first time in April for the APA conference, and was completely blown away. In fact, New Orleans made me change my thoughts on the south. It was the first place I've been in the South that felt liberal, open, diverse, walkable, etc. I haven't been to Atlanta, but Charleston and Savannah, while pretty, seem like very conservative, white-dominated places. New Orleans had a totally different feeling. From Marigny and Bywater to Tulane and the Audubon neighborhood, the city is very vibrant and delightfully walkable. Their bike share system was pretty useful for getting around, too.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Why do you want to go there and what do you want to do there? That should probably determine where you stay. Most out-of-towners are mainly attracted to the Garden District, French Quarter, Faubourg Marigny and the restaurants and nightlife in those places (plus the CBD in the middle of that group). But if you are interested in something else or a particular restaurant or whatever in another part of town . . . .
usually i stay on the downriver end of the quarter and hang out on frenchmen street, with random stops mid city, walk to bywater, etc. i don't care for the quarter at all any more, but feel like downtown and areas adjacent (on the other side from the quarter) might really be changing. i'm not really sure what the warehouse-y/mixed use area directly upriver from the CBD is called?

primarily i'm interested in areas downtown and upriver for this trip for long day-walks, etc, white tablecloth creole, etc. frenchmen street is really great but i'm more interested in magazine st, etc for this trip. i really just want to loaf, and visit museums. any recommended museums? particularly those of the city itself.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I was just there. Love that town. We actually spent some time on Frenchmen st this past trip.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Unless you are an alcoholic Millennial, Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) is the WORST time to go to New Orleans (excepting maybe anytime from May to October if you hate hot weather). The Mardi Gras SEASON actually begins at Twelth Night--the 12th night after Christmas--and I most enjoy the city duing that period: Late January, February. The weather is cool, there are some Mardi Gras events happening but the crowds have not yet arrived. Late fall and the pre-Christmas season can be good too.
i've never been during this time period but have always wanted to go. i would consider twelfth night, however i tend to burn out on carnival season pretty quickly even in st. louis...and wouldnt really be a major attraction for me, unlike the city itself.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:53 PM

garden district is beautiful
walk around the cemeteries
get some ice from Hansens Snoblitz
eat the hummus, endless pitas,a few small plates and a nice cool glass of wine at Shaya. insanely good.
get a whole fish and some oysters from Peche
go watch King James and the Special Men and feast on complimentary red beans and rice at Saturn Bar on Mondays
get some fried chicken from Willie Mays
drink daiquiris
music and crawfish boil at Maple Leaf on Sundays
awesome lox bagels and coffee at Steins Deli
avoid Bourbon Street like the damn plague

^
worked well for me, anyway

Last edited by Via Chicago; Aug 1, 2018 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:00 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
garden district is beautiful
walk around the cemeteries
get some ice from Hansens Snoblitz
eat the hummus, endless pitas, some pickles and a nice cool glass of wine at Shaya
get a whole fish and some oysters from Peche
go watch King James and the Special Men and feast on complimentary red beans and rice at Saturn Bar on Mondays
get some fried chicken from Willie Mays
avoid Bourbon Street
Definitely. But do check out Royal Street, one block south. Totally different atmosphere.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I was just there. Love that town. We actually spent some time on Frenchmen st this past trip.
Frenchmen St. is in the part of town known as Faubourg Marigny and only a short walk across Esplanade from the French Quarter. It really functions as a quieter, more residential annex to the Quarter.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:01 PM

My favorite city in America. Unlike any other city in the nation. You have to go there with a local for the true, non-touristy experience to really appreciate how special it is.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Definitely. But do check out Royal Street, one block south. Totally different atmosphere.
Definitely. I usually make Community Coffee on Royal St. my headquarters/resting spot in NOLA.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:08 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Definitely. I usually make Community Coffee on Royal St. my headquarters/resting spot in NOLA.
Know that place very well.

Quote:
Frenchmen St. is in the part of town known as Faubourg Marigny and only a short walk across Esplanade from the French Quarter. It really functions as a quieter, more residential annex to the Quarter.
It was pretty bumpin' on a Friday/ Saturday night but it seems to be where locals and well acquainted visitors gravitate to.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:22 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
It's delectable and darned good-looking. If you possibly can, go when it's cold. I went in January, when it was cold and windy and the low temperatures were down in the 30's and the highs were struggling to hit the 50's. I bloody loved it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
It's delectable and darned good-looking. If you possibly can, go when it's cold. I went in January, when it was cold and windy and the low temperatures were down in the 30's and the highs were struggling to hit the 50's. I bloody loved it.
i figured as much. i enjoy walking/sitting around outside (when sunny) during this kind of weather. i've driven to new orleans and back without air conditioning in july before so i've had my fill of hot new orleans...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:24 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

I stayed in Irish Chanel when I was in New Orleans for a week earlier this Spring, just off Louisiana a few blocks south of Magazine. It's a great area and in my mind gives good compromise in terms of stuff that is locally available and travel times to other areas (although Bywater is a bit far). We rented bikes and used them almost exclusively to get around including as far as Bywater, Carrolton and Mid-City.

The warehouse district is definitely interesting and has a lot going on in terms of food and drink. Very easy to get to from Irish Channel, even though the walk (or bike ride) under the expressway can be... interesting. Some cool newish breweries near there too - Courtyard was the favourite I went to in the city.

I enjoyed Frenchmen the previous time I was in the city, but lately didn't really find it my speed. Random dive bars nearby and in Bywater ended up being preferable. Still preferable to the Quarter which I probably spent a max of 3 hours in... big proviso being some newish looking establishments up on Rampart which is dead quiet in comparison.

The Carrolton area Uptown was also worth seeing IMO. Lots of bars and restaurants but the Maple Leaf is a must see - I've always gone on Tuesdays to see Rebirth Brass Band but I'm sure it's great all the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions