HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 4:34 PM
Closed account

Finally? I've never had a problem with the Dundurn store. Best Scotch selection in the city, IMO. And the Dundas store has the nice, bright, squeaky clean suburban thing going on for people who are more comfortable in those types of surroundings (not knocking it, I go there alot, I live pretty much equidistant from the Dundurn and Dundas stores so I can take my pick), but I find the wine and scotch selections better at Dundurn than Dundas, in spite of Dundurn being the smaller store.

I don't frequent the JS store, but the lower city has certainly been well-served by Dundurn and Dundas up until now.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 4:38 PM

Jackson Square has a formidable 'King Can' selection.
Just avoid the breakfast rush.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 4:43 PM

I mostly buy beer (ales to be exact), but I found Dundurn and Ancaster to have the best selection of beers in the city. Dundas always had the same few brands. In Ottawa, I have to go all the way to the Byward Market for something different. Unfortunately Hamilton has no equivalent of the Byward Market LCBO. But even the best LCBOs have a puny selection for beer lovers.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Dundas always had the same few brands.
The Dundas store seems to cater to Mac students, which probably also explains the lousy wine and scotch selections.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 7:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

I miss my Westcliffe LCBO. It's now at Meadowlands.

I'm mostly a wine drinker so the Meadowlands LCBO is perfect for that.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 7:25 PM

If they can do this in one of the poorest areas of the city, can't the LC show downtown a little love? Jackson Square is a busy store, frequented by downtown office workers but it's horribly small with bad beer selection and zero wine selection. It'd be nice to see something like Ottawa's multi-level downtown store in Jackson - now that's a real liquor store.

On the scotch front, Jackson Square does suck but I was surprised to find the $60 Balvenie 12 year old scotch there. Great stuff.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 7:31 PM

Yes Steeltown, that's what I am looking forward at the new Barton store: finally a Vintages down here! Dundurn's selection is okay but I just can't stand how overcrowded that store is. The selection at JS is simply embarrasing.

Dundurn does have a decent scotch selection, but I find I have had to travel up to the Fennell shop to for a decent selection of Whiskey that stretches beyond the usual three option limit offered down here. The Dundas store is too far from the core for me to frequent, particularly with the dismal HSR service to it. This new location is right on the Barton route which makes for quick and easy access to a proper LCBO for downtowners like me.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 7:41 PM

My LCBO fantasy is that the Jackson Square location moves to the first floor of the Lister Block and is open until 10 every day.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
My LCBO fantasy is that the Jackson Square location moves to the first floor of the Lister Block and is open until 10 every day.
I would love to see a full blown LCBO with Vintages locate in the groundfloor space on York vacated by the fitness centre. Would dovetail perfectly with the neighbouring Farmer's Market.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The LCBO opens today

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...w-liquor-store

Finally a quality liquor store in the lower city. Hopefully it will do well enough to convince LCBO to ramp up the condition of the other lower city locations. The Jackson Square location is particularly disappointing.
I really wish they would improve Jackson Square, i.e. a bigger space. The selection is terrible.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Dundurn does have a decent scotch selection, but I find I have had to travel up to the Fennell shop to for a decent selection of Whiskey that stretches beyond the usual three option limit offered down here.
I guess was referring to their single malt selection. You're right their whiskey selection is pretty standard, but I've only been disappointed in their single malt selection once, when i was looking for something pretty obscure.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:03 PM
Closed account

^I think you meant to post this in the Centre Mall thread.

But speaking of the breakfast rush, the Balvenie has always been a good morning Scotch.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 10:58 PM
Hammer'd

The Jackson Square location desperately needs a new location within the mall or at least within the "super block". The biggest problem is the hours of course but the selection also suffers from the size of the store.

My bet is that the traffic circle store will be next on the chopping block, as it is the only remaining "old" store in the lower city, aside from Jackson. Not sure how exactly they would replace it though.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 12:02 AM

I half expected the Queenston circle store to disappear when Eastgate location opened. They may be waiting out a lease or maybe do well enough there to continue as is until a new location in that neighbourhood presents itself. A spot at the former Herbies would work, but I understand the owner has unrealistic expectations on lease value for that property. A year of vacancy may have lowered his expectations, mind you.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2010, 2:59 PM

Liquor store

Place was packed last evening. Lots of stock but short of craft beer selection.
Parking was full in front but to park on the Metro side was empty.
To get in and out of this Mall complex is a major improvment over the Queenston/Nash corner. And all the same necessities.
Even a mark's wear.
Too bad there wasn't another movie theatre like before.
I like the place and the road traffic plan.
Just need a few more stores, maybe a Future Shop. and Rona/Home hardware. Might just need it with all the DIYs in the area.
A smaller version of Bass Pro/Cabelas. MEC type store.

Last edited by bornagainbiking; Dec 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM. Reason: more content

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 3:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Is this the 'destination store' we were all promised years and years ago?
..I don't think a destination store is ever coming

Has anyone ever been to the Colosus Plaza at Hwy-7 & Weston Rd in Vaughan? These two plazas have eerie similarities (minus good stores and a movie theatre).
Colosus Plaza

Centre 'Mall' (ok ok, I know it's not built in this image, but it is identical to that in the Colosus link, check it out in person)

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post

Has anyone ever been to the Colosus Plaza at Hwy-7 & Weston Rd in Vaughan? These two plazas have eerie similarities (minus good stores and a movie theatre).
Colosus Plaza

Centre 'Mall' (ok ok, I know it's not built in this image, but it is identical to that in the Colosus link, check it out in person)
I don't think it was planned, but make no mistake --- Target is a destination store. Plenty of people who go shopping in the US make a point of visiting Target. It is much loved.

I do not really see the big "Colossus Plaza" resemblance and I have been to it plenty of times. There are loads of similar Power Centre-type layouts out there.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
I don't think it was planned, but make no mistake --- Target is a destination store. Plenty of people who go shopping in the US make a point of visiting Target. It is much loved.

I do not really see the big "Colossus Plaza" resemblance and I have been to it plenty of times. There are loads of similar Power Centre-type layouts out there.
I think that was the point I was drivin at re: "There are loads of similar Power Centre-type layouts out there."

Once Target arrives in Canada, it'll no longer become that special store ppl drive out to just for the sake of shopping at Target. Let's face it, Target is Zellers Sr.
Look at Marshalls; the Winners stores they took over in Canada made one change.. The name on the Wall.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
I'm thinking they meant Superstore or Costco (possibly Sam's Club), stores that were in the original plans, but just disappeared by the time construction began.

I was kind of hoping for some kind of entertainment or theatre complex. The old Canadian Tire is just sitting there waiting for someone to use it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues