HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewjm3D View Post
Ya I laughed when I read his comment. Does he think everybody is home with there lights on when he drives by? What a ridiculous statement.

OMG look, NYC is full of vacant spaces.
People say the same thing about Vancouver. I live in a highrise that is pretty much 100% occupied yet you will never see a time where a 100% of the lights are on at the same time. The analogy is retarded at best.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 10:34 PM

Really the only time you can use lights to measure the vacancy of a building is when looking at office buildings during a solar eclipse.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 11:02 PM

^ Haha that is very true.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:08 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I'm not really that interested in how many supertalls a city has but rather how many highises a city has. That's what gives city a sense of grandeur and mass.

For example, for the last decade Manhattan has technically had only one supertall. Tokyo has zero. Both blow Dubai out of the water in terms of urbanity. Give me a half dozen 200+ metre towers over one supertall any day. After all, if I really need to look at something over 500 metres tall, there's always that tower next to SkyDome.

My number one desire is to see all the unused space whether it be a vacant plot in the railway lands, a surface parking spot in St Jamestown or an abandoned house in the annex disappear from the defined downtown area. Few places have that. Second will be eclipsing 2000 twelve storey buildings. The boom has fulfilled both in spades however, I can't ignore the reality of the situation either.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:15 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The OMB has granted the owners of 1 Yonge a severance of the property.

Paving the way for another supertall site in Toronto.

This is has speculated to be the site of the 100 storey Synergy Condos.
A supertall would face some fierce opposition from the planning staff that spent some time and effort to do a study of the property. Overall, I think it is a piss poor site for a supertall. It would ruin the skyline view from the Island as well as hover over the mid-rise waterfront community developing a few blocks away.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:18 AM

how on earth would it 'ruin' the skyline view from the island? Don't understand your comment..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 1:36 AM

The same way 90 harbour will. By blocking out the true skyline with some behemoth that will probably be ridiculously boring looking, way ahead of everything else.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:42 AM
gettin' rich!

I'm sure the old timers said the exact same thing when FCP and Commerce Court went up.

Too late now, the old-timers skyline is almost completely blocked out now anyway, and further there ain't anything behind 1 Yonge to be blocked. Infact anything built on the site expands the skyline eastward

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

A great skyline does not make a great city.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
But it sure is great.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:28 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Not per se. On the other hand, cities with great skylines are great, though. New York, Chicago, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Toronto, etc.

I can't think of a crappy city with a great skyline. Can you?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Not per se. On the other hand, cities with great skylines are great, though. New York, Chicago, Hong Kong, San Francisco, Toronto, etc.

Dubai?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas are all roughly on par with Toronto when it comes to the major office towers that people on this forum fetishize. Philadelphia is pretty similar and has nicer old skyscrapers. I could imagine somebody arguing that those are "great" skylines if Toronto's is "great".

When it comes to having large numbers of residential buildings Toronto's probably behind a dozen Chinese cities 99% of North Americans have never heard of.

San Francisco's a nice city and it would be my first pick in the US but is it "great" in the same way that New York is? Toronto's also nice but kind of modest as far as world cities go.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:32 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
Dubai?
That has mostly to do with social policy in that country. Strip that away, and it's looks like a fascinating place. You do realize that there's more to Dubai that the new part, right?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That has mostly to do with social policy in that country. Strip that away, and it's looks like a fascinating place. You do realize that there's more to Dubai that the new part, right?
You said it yourself. It looks like a fascinating place, and that doesn't make it a great city.

And social policy has to do as well with the "greatness" of a city, but you asked me to strip that away. That's like telling me to go for the butterface with nice boobs.

And I do know that there's more to Dubai than the new part. I'm sure that the old part that had 60,000 people in 1965 is cute

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
San Francisco's a nice city and it would be my first pick in the US but is it "great" in the same way that New York is?
Actually i would say that is exactly what makes SF such a great city....that it's not NYC.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

True enough, but of the big cities that I have visited, I am less than enamoured with Atlanta, Dallas, and Minneapolis, despite having great skylines. Minneapolis just might be the most boring jurisdiction of 3 million people on the planet.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Detroit.
Although to be fair, it doesn't have a supertall either, but it does have a great looking skyline, especially from across the water in Windsor. But would I want to live there? No way!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I'm not really that interested in how many supertalls a city has but rather how many highises a city has. That's what gives city a sense of grandeur and mass.

For example, for the last decade Manhattan has technically had only one supertall. Tokyo has zero. Both blow Dubai out of the water in terms of urbanity. Give me a half dozen 200+ metre towers over one supertall any day. After all, if I really need to look at something over 500 metres tall, there's always that tower next to SkyDome.
Couldn't have said it better. I'd much rather TO get rid of the surface parking lots with 200m towers (where applicable) than care about having one 350m tower which let's be honest can only go in a few select lots that will be clustered with the CBD and wouldn't have as much of an impact on the typical postcard shots or do any thing to make the city any more grand. I think bigger priority would be cleaning up and improving density in the area of Adelaide to Bloor Yonge to Sherbourne.

That said if/when it happens, I think Toronto will get Canada's first supertall and I think it will be a mixed use building of condo/office/hotel.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:35 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
And I do know that there's more to Dubai than the new part. I'm sure that the old part that had 60,000 people in 1965 is cute
I won't visit Dubai till they enter the 21st century socially/politically, but I can still recognize what's being accomplished there in other areas. That's all I'm trying to say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada