HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 11:51 PM
America's Mars Rocket

It will be interesting how it impacts United and USAir's nonstops to Washington(Reagan). Orlando and DC are the two top destinations out of HSV,
flights start May 27th.
The airline announced that its lowest fares will range from $99 for leisure travel to $279 for business travel to Baltimore and from $89 for leisure and $249 for business travel to Orlando.

Nonstop Service Between Huntsville/Decatur and Baltimore

From To
Flight Departs Arrives Frequency
Baltimore/Washington Huntsville/Decatur 755 10:30 a.m 11:20 a.m. Daily
Baltimore/Washington Huntsville/Decatur 751 8:05 p.m. 8:55 p.m Daily
Huntsville/Decatur* Baltimore/Washington 756 7:00 a.m 9:50 a.m. Daily
Huntsville/Decatur Baltimore/Washington 752 4:45 p.m. 7:35 p.m Daily
*Service begins May 28, 2010

The following nonstop flights between Huntsville/Decatur and Orlando will be available beginning May 27, 2010:

Nonstop Service Between Huntsville/Decatur and Orlando

From To
Flight Departs Arrives Frequency
Huntsville/Decatur Orlando 754 11:55 a.m 2:40 p.m. Daily
Orlando Huntsville/Decatur 753 3:30 p.m. 4:10 p.m Daily

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Maybe in a few months AirTran will (after building up a base of local flyers) then be bold and offer direct flights from HSV to ATL. Go AirTran!
I was with you for a while, but then I went searching about Airtran. I'm beginning to think that the likelihood of AirTran changing flight routes for Huntsville anytime in the near future is bad. Atlanta is their main hub, but the two cities that Huntsville will get flights to/fro happen to be what some call their secondary hubs. Those two airports happen to be the only secondary hubs listed, that I've seen, for AirTran. I think they will, as you said, wait for a local base of passengers to be built before making any changes.

Another interesting thing I saw was that all of their planes are over a total of 100 passenger capacity. How do you guys think those flights will look as far as passenger totals on average in the coming months. I mean, they should be good since they will start at summer vacation time, but I'm wondering more during other times of the year. You'll have to excuse me, I don't fly at all really, so that's why I don't know these things.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2010, 9:57 PM

Here is the link from Airtran's website, for those interested.

http://www.airtran.com/press/Huntsvillealpress.aspx

I think the flights to Orlando will be full. Not only is Orlando as vacation destination itself, but it will server as a connecting hub for travel to Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Bahamas, and Key West. I wish the flights left earlier in the morning or later in the day.

Baltimore will also server as connecting hub for most people traveling to Boston or Main.

What is weird is that the website will not let you book flights from HSV to Key West or any other destination in the Caribbean.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 1:23 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Airtran coming (returning) is a good thing the drive to get them to add Atlanta flights will continue. I believe they will add two flights in the next 6 months to ATL The stimulus money will be used for this also along with the campaign underway by the airport to get businesses and individuals to use the carrier.
The media has loved to state that HSV had two low fare carriers before and they left without explaining why. Independence was doing well with it's flights to Dulles before the ENTIRE airline folded nationwide.
Allegiant which I would not be surprised to see them return, had poor scheduling and even worse customer service (you get what you pay for).
After they left 30 HSV passengers stranded early in their service it was hard for them to win back customers. Orlando and Las Vegas are their main routes.
Airtran will be using Boeing 717's on their routes

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 4:55 AM

Why so much talk about airlines? For two pages now it's been the same thing and boring. There are other developments going on around the city. I was over at UAH and saw the new seniors dorm being built next to the new parking facility across from the fitness center. It looks mroe like a luxury hotel than an on cmapus dorm.

There's also the new renovations that are underway at the Propst arena formerly known as the Von Braun Center. http://www.vonbrauncenter.com/construction/

Also the Art museum's expansion is underway as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Why so much talk about airlines? For two pages now it's been the same thing and boring. There are other developments going on around the city. I was over at UAH and saw the new seniors dorm being built next to the new parking facility across from the fitness center. It looks mroe like a luxury hotel than an on cmapus dorm.

There's also the new renovations that are underway at the Propst arena formerly known as the Von Braun Center. http://www.vonbrauncenter.com/construction/

Also the Art museum's expansion is underway as well.
I would hardly call it boring... it was a fun and lively discussion. Just stop your bitching and post (like you have done) something about a development you would like to discuss. Just because this one issue wasn't your thing, does not mean others didn't enjoy the subject...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCA REP View Post
I would hardly call it boring... it was a fun and lively discussion. Just stop your bitching and post (like you have done) something about a development you would like to discuss. Just because this one issue wasn't your thing, does not mean others didn't enjoy the subject...
Don't be a smart ass. FYI I wasn't the only one who complained about it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Don't be a smart ass. FYI I wasn't the only one who complained about it.
Stop crying. We can't always talk about what is important to you. Getting a new discount airline is probably one of the biggest things to happen to Huntsville in the last 12 months.

Just because you are too short sighted to see how important this is, doesn't mean we should all act like a dumb ass like you.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 2:51 AM
America's Mars Rocket

As progressive Huntsville is in some area's it's way behind in others
or inactive..
"Big Spring Partners, the nonprofit downtown redevelopment group, brought San Francisco-based urban planner Robert Alminana to town Thursday to explore the concept.

Alminana spent the day talking to city planners, home builders and others about SmartCode, a development ordinance that's shown promise in reviving moribund downtowns.

First tried in 2003, SmartCode emphasizes walkable neighborhoods where homes, schools, shopping and workplaces intermingle comfortably.

The best example locally is west Huntsville's Village of Providence.

SmartCode also promotes a diversity of housing options -- single-family, townhouses, apartments, lofts -- and redeveloping existing neighborhoods to limit suburban sprawl.

"The most sustainable way to grow is to infill existing urban areas," Alminana told about 30 people at EarlyWorks Children's History Museum.

Petaluma, Calif., was the first U.S. city to adopt a SmartCode, he said. Several others have followed, including Montgomery, Miami, San Antonio and Gulfport, Miss.

But is it right for Huntsville?(If Montgomery can explore and do it, Huntsville can too, I would talk to officials in the Capital City)

City Administrator Rex Reynolds said he's intrigued but wants to hear what builders, developers and real estate agents think.

"We've got to have major input from those major stakeholders that it could impact," Reynolds said Friday. "But I think we've got to be open -- if that's the direction the public wants to go -- to looking at" a SmartCode.

Last July, Big Spring Partners took 115 city leaders to Chattanooga, Tenn., the Southern poster child for a healthy downtown. Reynolds said the trip made it clear that re-awakening a slumbering downtown takes "out of the box" ideas and planning.

He said he's not sure Huntsville's 1960s-era zoning ordinance is up to the task.

City Councilman Bill Kling sat through Alminana's presentation and liked the focus on making downtown more livable. But with city government facing a $14.8 million budget deficit and Huntsville schools on the verge of mass layoffs, he said SmartCode is probably a back-burner issue.

That is the WRONG answer Councilman

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickodemis View Post
Stop crying. We can't always talk about what is important to you. Getting a new discount airline is probably one of the biggest things to happen to Huntsville in the last 12 months.

Just because you are too short sighted to see how important this is, doesn't mean we should all act like a dumb ass like you.
Listen dude, the only people this would appeal to are those who fly in and out of the city. It has no barrings on me or others who don't ever fly whatsoever. So as you being a newbie I advise you to tone down your attitude and take the insults elsewhere. Got it?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Listen dude, the only people this would appeal to are those who fly in and out of the city. It has no barrings on me or others who don't ever fly whatsoever. So as you being a newbie I advise you to tone down your attitude and take the insults elsewhere. Got it?
Now that AirTran is flying out of HSV with incredibly low fares, you and many others "who don't ever fly whatsoever" will be giving flying a second thought - especially if AirTran begins service to their Atlanta hub with connections to most major destinations. Especially when it is way cheaper to fly than drive for even two people to some place like the West Coast (e.g. a one way sale fare from Atlanta to Los Angles or San Francisco of $129)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
Now that AirTran is flying out of HSV with incredibly low fares, you and many others "who don't ever fly whatsoever" will be giving flying a second thought - especially if AirTran begins service to their Atlanta hub with connections to most major destinations. Especially when it is way cheaper to fly than drive for even two people to some place like the West Coast (e.g. a one way sale fare from Atlanta to Los Angles or San Francisco of $129)
I DO NOT FLY....PERIOD!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Petaluma, Calif., was the first U.S. city to adopt a SmartCode, he said. Several others have followed, including Montgomery, Miami, San Antonio and Gulfport, Miss.

But is it right for Huntsville?(If Montgomery can explore and do it, Huntsville can too, I would talk to officials in the Capital City)

City Administrator Rex Reynolds said he's intrigued but wants to hear what builders, developers and real estate agents think.

"We've got to have major input from those major stakeholders that it could impact," Reynolds said Friday. "But I think we've got to be open -- if that's the direction the public wants to go -- to looking at" a SmartCode.

He said he's not sure Huntsville's 1960s-era zoning ordinance is up to the task.

City Councilman Bill Kling sat through Alminana's presentation and liked the focus on making downtown more livable. But with city government facing a $14.8 million budget deficit and Huntsville schools on the verge of mass layoffs, he said SmartCode is probably a back-burner issue.

I think Huntsville can benefit greatly from SmartCode, for it will help deter (maybe not eliminate) more unsustainable sprawl that's going on. It will help the city's inner core become more desirable for redevelopment.

You're right, that is the wrong answer to just keep putting it off. But it will take a lot of education to get city leaders and developers to get out of the old way of thinking when it comes to planning and development.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 3:53 PM

As a guy that flies maybe once a year (out of Nashville), AirTran in HSV is great news. They're going to in-demand destinations (Allegiant's problem), and its an established airline (Independence's problem), so this time might be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post

Definitely agree w/ you, Tiger. I don't see what the Planning Department/Commission can do about school layoffs, nor do I see how adopting SmartCode would affect the budget deficit more than it already has (building bike lanes, for example). Heck, it might even save us money in the long run (less need for roads and new schools on the city fringes). And if people/developers still have reservations about Smart Growth, it can be implemented first as an "incentivized alternative," e.g. large commercial and residential projects using SmartCode would be given priority approval over conventional development.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhsv View Post
Definitely agree w/ you, Tiger. I don't see what the Planning Department/Commission can do about school layoffs, nor do I see how adopting SmartCode would affect the budget deficit more than it already has (building bike lanes, for example). Heck, it might even save us money in the long run (less need for roads and new schools on the city fringes).
The cost involved is going to be the calibration and approval process for the SmartCode. Montgomery spent about $300K in preparing their Downtown Master Plan which included calibrating the SmartCode for their specific location and requirements. Huntsville would essentially have to go through a similar exercise to begin implementation of the SmartCode. But you are right...I believe it is a short-term expense for long-term savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhsv View Post
And if people/developers still have reservations about Smart Growth, it can be implemented first as an "incentivized alternative," e.g. large commercial and residential projects using SmartCode would be given priority approval over conventional development.
Easier said than done as far as priority, the decision could easily be construed as being a capricious zoning attempt in this state because of our poorly written constitution. Montgomery has taking a good appoarch to implementation, it is mandatory in what they define as downtown and optional in large tract development everywhere else. Developers there are starting to realize the advantage of the SmartCode in large tract development because the approval process is much quicker and more simple. It does require more front-end work in design, but the final project is approved easier, typically with community buy-in and support.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 8:21 PM

Kroger

Kroger sign is up in front of Watercress

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and who are you to dictate the terms of discussion? I didn't realize two whole years here was enough tenure to do that. Just skip the posts that don't interest you - it's really that simple.

I for one enjoy the airlines discussion.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 4:31 PM

Here's something for the sports fans. The Tennessee Valley Vipers are moving up. Teams from the Arena League and Arena 2 League have combined to now form a new Arena Football League. The Vipers will now be called the Alabama Vipers. The teams you will see coming to the VBC this year include the Orlando Predator, Tampa Bay Storm, and the Dallas Vigilantes. The league is in conference and divisional format, so you will see the Vipers play Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville a lot. I think that might just be the most talented division. Tickets start at $9 with season tickets starting at $65. You can check out their website at http://www.alabamavipers.com/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn35816 View Post
Here's something for the sports fans. The Tennessee Valley Vipers are moving up. Teams from the Arena League and Arena 2 League have combined to now form a new Arena Football League. The Vipers will now be called the Alabama Vipers. The teams you will see coming to the VBC this year include the Orlando Predator, Tampa Bay Storm, and the Dallas Vigilantes. The league is in conference and divisional format, so you will see the Vipers play Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville a lot. I think that might just be the most talented division. Tickets start at $9 with season tickets starting at $65. You can check out their website at http://www.alabamavipers.com/
Not to be mean but this is old news as it was announced back in January. I made a post about it back then. But thanks for bringing it back up this exciting news! I am really looking forward to this as it will mean the city's first major sports franchise and not minor league. It should draw major media coverage in the area and ticket sales should be high. The AFL has a television contract with NBC and ESPN networks which means the entire nation will see Huntsville and our new look Propst Arena when they broadcast games from here.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:35 AM

What do you think will happen to the soon to be closed Southern Food(Family, whatever it is called) Markets in town? I'd like to see Star Market move into the one on Bailey Cove, but there may be too much competition in that area for them...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast