HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:27 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
MUMBAI | Antilia Mansion | 568 FT / 173 M | 27 FLOORS

Indian tycoon Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries, India's largest private sector company, has been mooting the idea of a groundbreaking residence for his family for almost a decade. As is company is leading the charge in Indian real estate, with massive SEZs planned to come up across the country, Ambani wanted his residence, located at Altamount Road, in the heart of Mumbai's skyscraper construction scene, to reflect the future of Indian construction.

The design of the Residence Antilia, as it came to be called, was kept a close secret even after construction started a couple months ago. Several days ago, he finally approved the release of the building's design to the public.

The Perkins + Wil-designed 40 storey tower already under construction is planned to be the greenest in Mumbai (in apparent conflict with the Park Hyatt Tower and Lodha Bellissimo, which also claim the tag.) Like most capital projects in Mumbai, and reflective of Indian architecture and ancient Indian Vaastu Design, these buildings are to be garden buildings that, since they are skyscrapers, appropriately embody the garden-in-the-sky concept.

Residence Antilia goes one step further. It is designed as the largest and tallest "living wall" in the world -- a seamless, vertical garden that encompasses all walls of the building climbing to the 40th floor. Within this Vaastu tradition, the spine is regarded as the main source of support of the building, symbolically leading upward toward enlightenment. The various floor planes encombass a variety of garden tiers, terraces, water falls, ponds, recreational facilities, and enclosed, living areas that takes advantage of the most spectacular views of Mumbai and its waterfront.

You can see this goal in even the original plan of the tower:

The building's height is significant. At 245m, it will be one of the tallest buildings in Mumbai. Although it only has only 40 floors, due to the non-standard design of the building, using the Indian construction standard of about 3.5m/floor, it will have the virtual height of a 70 storey tower, and will rival the nearby Imperial Twin Towers in height.

The tower will have 6 floors of parking; several floors of just gardens; a couple "entertainment" floors including a massive theater; 2 floors of guest apartments, and various floors dedicated to the kitchen, laundry and other services. Reliance Corporate offices will be in the bottom floors and the private Ambani family residence will make up the topmost several floors. A helipad is designed on top, but there is mixed reports on whether this feature has been actually approved by the authorities.

Construction is well underway, can can be seen in the skyline. With nearly two floors being added every day, construction is expected to be completed by November, 2008.

Cheers,
Jai

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Last edited by Jai; May 14, 2007 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:41 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

edit

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Last edited by Jai; Jun 22, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 10:21 AM
Lost and Found

Slowly but surely rising.
I was in Mumbai in 2003.. nice city, however the older buildings can use some glazing or stone wash !!

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 1:31 PM
Global Citizen

He plans to use the entire 245m skyscraper just as a residence for his family ?!?!?

Anyway, it's a really unique design.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 6:43 PM
(Middle-Island)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
He plans to use the entire 245m skyscraper just as a residence for his family ?!?!?
Really, though. Talk about a skyscraper-estate for the chosen few. It's kind of disgraceful in an Indian city, especially, considering the demographics thereof....Still hope its built.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 6:56 PM
Lost and Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Island View Post
Really, though. Talk about a skyscraper-estate for the chosen few. It's kind of disgraceful in an Indian city, especially, considering the demographics thereof....Still hope its built.
Nah, its only the top few floors for himself mate

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 11:45 PM

Cool. Love buildings like that.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 12:21 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
It's kind of disgraceful in an Indian city, especially, considering the demographics thereof....Still hope its built.
This is a rather lame remark. At least he isn't building a sprawling estate like people in other countries, and at least it is environmentally friendly.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 12:44 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Agreed with spyguy. Its no different than buying a thousand acre ranch. At least he is contributing to Indian development and funding infrastructure in the city.

Besides, there's also the thing that Ambani wants this to be a showcase project for his company, showing what it can do. By pushing technology, materials and design in the construction of this building, and using Reliance Construction resources to design, build, and carry out this project, he is demonstrating the capability of his company. Only the top floors of this building will be his private residence. Below will be corporate offices and other services that I am sure will be used to wow clients and investors.

The fact that he's using his own private capital (as opposed to his company's), shows fiscal responsibility by not wasting shareholders' money. So its a win-win-win for him-his company-Mumbai.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:44 AM

Quote:
I don't get that. What can be built then? Is any private development forbidden?

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 2:00 AM
(Middle-Island)

It's pretty bad that you don't "get that". I guess the two of you don't like to see anyone critcize that level of opulence. Anyway, don't get melodramatic...what's "forbidden"? I was just stating my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Nah, its only the top few floors for himself mate
I don't see that in the article. If true, it would certainly change my opinion.

Last edited by Lost Island; May 15, 2007 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 2:18 AM
(Middle-Island)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
This is a rather lame remark. At least he isn't building a sprawling estate like people in other countries, and at least it is environmentally friendly.
A private 40-story mansion for a family and friends seems disgusting, considering the condition that a third of Mumbai lives in. Other than that, I'd say build it just for the sake of it's innovative green design. It could serve another purpose other than sheer opulence eventually. Meanwhile, guess you're a fan of the caste system as well.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 8:08 AM
Hard worker

Quote:
I don't see that in the article. If true, it would certainly change my opinion.
At the end of the article...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
The tower will have 6 floors of parking; several floors of just gardens; a couple "entertainment" floors including a massive theater; 2 floors of guest apartments, and various floors dedicated to the kitchen, laundry and other services. Reliance Corporate offices will be in the bottom floors and the private Ambani family residence will make up the topmost several floors. A helipad is designed on top, but there is mixed reports on whether this feature has been actually approved by the authorities.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:10 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

Quote:
Meanwhile, guess you're a fan of the caste system as well.
Whoh whoh, what the hell? I don't loose temper easily, but as a "Dalit" myself I take great offense to that.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you? Are you honestly that ignorant?

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 2:49 PM

Quote:
It's pretty bad that you don't "get that". I guess the two of you don't like to see anyone critcize that level of opulence. Anyway, don't get melodramatic...what's "forbidden"? I was just stating my opinion.
Who is getting melodramatic here? I'm just stating my opinion. Anyway, you clearly didn't criticise the "level of opulence", rather you chose to say "It's kind of disgraceful in an Indian city, especially, considering the demographics thereof". Your implication was that as long as poverty exists, any sort of opulent structure should not be constructed. Does you hold this opinion for structures constructed anywhere, or is it an attitude you reserve for India?
By the way, a comment like "Meanwhile, guess you're a fan of the caste system as well" is downright disgraceful.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 6:34 PM
Hard worker

I am confused...from this article below, it seems to indicate that this building won't have any office space (as was mentioned in the first article posted in this thread). Or is this article being disingenuous when it claims that the building will house hundreds of staff? From the way it is written in the BBC article below, it makes it sound like these are all private staff for Mr. Ambani's skyscraper home. But from the first article in this thread, it sounds like these are staff for his company.

I wonder which one it is...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dream home of India's richest man
By Zubair Ahmed
BBC News, Mumbai

WHAT WILL BE INSIDE?
Six floors for parking
An entertainment floor complete with a mini theatre
Three helipads
A health floor with athletics and swimming facilities
Details have emerged of a huge new building in Mumbai that is being built by India's richest man, Mukesh Ambani.

His skyscraper home in the city will be over 170m tall and will have an army of 600 staff to manage it.

Its 27 floors on a 4,532 sq metre plot will provide a panoramic view of the entire city of Mumbai (Bombay) once it is completed next year.

With the country's economy soaring, India's commercial city is poised to have many more such skyscrapers.

Construction of the family home is well under way.

'Full view'

The son of a former petrol pump attendant who went on to build a business empire, Mukesh Ambani is reportedly spending $1bn on his new home.

Legend has it that Mr Ambani - the chairman, and largest shareholder of Reliance Industries, India's largest private sector company - wants to enjoy a "full view" of the Arabian Sea.

So his architects came up with the idea of a 27-storey home.

The first six floors will serve as car parks. A health club will be built on the next two and the few floors above that will house hundreds of staff.

Fifty-year-old Mr Ambani and his family will occupy the top floors of the building which will also have a helipad and swimming pools.

Critics say it is an obscene display of wealth, especially in a city where more than half the inhabitants live on the pavements.

Architects believe that the construction of high-rises will provide a long-term solution to the problem of sheltering the city's homeless, especially when development land is in short supply.

One architect who is constructing a building which will be even taller than that planned by Mr Ambani told the BBC that Mumbai will soon be "littered with high-rises" as the government strives to shift slum dwellers into tower blocks.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...ia/6712605.stm

Published: 2007/06/01 16:41:34 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 7:48 PM

Just to add to the confusion "The Daily Mail" out of London is reporting it as a 60 story single family home.

The 60-storey house for just one family
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770
Last updated at 19:32pm on 1st June 2007

Comments (40)
This 60-storey house is for just one family.

India's richest man, Mukesh Ambani, is planning a palace in the heart of Mumbai with helipad, health club, hanging gardens and six floors of car parking.

Scroll down for more

This 60-storey house is for just one family

His wife, mother and three children will live there with him, looked after by 600 live-in staff.

Construction has already started on what will eventually be a 175m tower and planners are aiming to complete it in September 2008.

Earlier this year, Forbes rated Mr Ambani as the richest resident Indian with a net worth of US$20.1 billion.

He came 14th in Forbes' 2007 worldwide rankings.

Currently he is chairman of petroleum major Reliance Industries Ltd, India's largest private sector company

The building, already worth £500 million, could start a rush on skyscrapers.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 11:25 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

I don't think the article is clear... From initial reports, the skyscraper serves a dual purpose -- home for Ambani's family as well as business use.

I don't see how it would need 600 people otherwise..

Old Posted Jun 1, 2007, 11:37 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

By the way, the original article that the rest got their information from was from yesterday's Mumbai Mirror. The article confirms much of what was put out before, but also corrects some information, namely:

Total number of floors: 27
Total height: 173.2m

Can a mod correct the title to reflect this please?

--------==--=--==--------

MUKESH AMBANI'S MANSION IN THE AIR
Quote:
The 27-storey glass-fronted building will have parking for 168 cars, three helipads, a theatre and a staff of 600 for its upkeep

And an u/c picture:

ANAND BIRAI AND SUDHIR SURYWANSHI

You may have read details about Mukesh Ambani's new house-in-the-making at Altamount Road, but even as work on its construction goes on in full swing, here on your right is the first picture of what it will look like when it's complete.

Mumbai Mirror is in possession of the entire architectural plan for Residence Antilia (as the house is going to be called, after a mythical island), the subject of enormous curiosity in the city ever since the Reliance Industries Ltd chairman purchased the 4,532 sq mt plot in 2002.

The plan, drawn up by the firm Perkins+Will, reveals that the house will resemble a virtual glass palace, with entertainment centres, a health club, a swimming pool and various green spots thrown in for good measure.

COVER STORY

Construction of Mukesh Ambani’s new house at Altamount Road, where real estate prices are now in the region of Rs 75,000 per sq ft, began in late 2006, and the first six floors are already in place now. The building is expected to be complete in September 2008.

27 FLOORS

According to the plan, the house will rise to a height of 173.12 meters, equivalent to that of a regular 60-storeyed residential building. However, Antilia will have only 27 storeys in all, which means each floor will have a ceiling considerably higher than the current average of nearly three meters.

SIX FLOORS FOR PARKING

The first six floors — which have come up — will be reserved for parking alone, and that too for cars belonging only to Mukesh's family. Space for a total of 168 'imported' cars has been earmarked here.

FLOOR FOR CAR MAINTENANCE

Sources said the Ambanis would prefer to have all their cars serviced and maintained at an in-house service centre. This centre will be set up on the seventh floor.

ENTERTAINMENT FLOOR

The eighth floor will have an entertainment centre comprising a mini-theatre with a seating capacity of 50.

BALCONIES WITH GARDENS

The rooftop of the mini-theatre will serve as a garden, and immediately above that, three more balconies with terrace gardens will be independent floors.

THE 'HEALTH' FLOORS

While the ninth floor will a 'refuge' floor — meant to be used for rescue in emergencies — two floors above that will be set aside for 'health.' One of these will have facilities for athletics and a swimming pool, while the other will have a health club complete with the latest gym equipment.

FOR GUESTS

There will be a two-storeyed glass-fronted apartment for the Ambani family's guests above the health floors. One more refuge floor and one floor for mechanical works will be built on top of these apartments.

FAMILY

The four floors at the top, that will provide a view of the Arabian Sea and a superb view of the city's skyline, will be for Mukesh, his wife Neeta, their three children and Mukesh's mother Kokilaben.

AIR SPACE FLOOR

According to the plan, two floors above the family's residence will be set aside as maintenance areas, and on top of that will be an "air space floor," which will act as a control room for helicopters landing on the helipad above.

HELIPAD

The plan states that three helipads are to be built on the terrace.

However, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation officials told this paper that permission for the helipads has not been granted yet. "The residential plans were approved threefour years ago. Two levels of basement have also been shown in the proposed project," Sudhir Shinde, deputy engineer at the BMC's building proposals department said.

STAFF

Nearly 600 staffers are expected to work fulltime in the building, sources said.

TOTAL STATS

According to BMC records, the total area of Mukesh's Altamount Road plot is 4,532.39 square meters. The proposed built-up area is 4,778.09 square meters (only for residential purposes), and the permissible built-up area 4,939.81 square meters.

Last edited by Jai; Jun 1, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2007, 1:00 AM
`

MUMBAI: 60 Equivalent Story Mansion - 568'/27 Stories

The 60-storey house for just one family
19:32pm on 1st June 2007

This 60-storey house is for just one family.

India's richest man, Mukesh Ambani, is planning a palace in the heart of Mumbai with helipad, health club, hanging gardens and six floors of car parking.

His wife, mother and three children will live there with him, looked after by 600 live-in staff.

Construction has already started on what will eventually be a 175m tower and planners are aiming to complete it in September 2008.

Earlier this year, Forbes rated Mr Ambani as the richest resident Indian with a net worth of US$20.1 billion.

He came 14th in Forbes' 2007 worldwide rankings.

Currently he is chairman of petroleum major Reliance Industries Ltd, India's largest private sector company

The building, already worth £500 million, could start a rush on skyscrapers.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 4, 2007 at 7:53 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture