HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:57 PM

^yup. The reason they went Rothesay over Chief, instead of vice versa, was so people and kids don't have to go under the bridge. They deem it safer for people to go over, so there is no potential for being trapped by hooligans.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^yup. The reason they went Rothesay over Chief, instead of vice versa, was so people and kids don't have to go under the bridge. They deem it safer for people to go over, so there is no potential for being trapped by hooligans.
I didn't think that would really be an issue around there? I figured they went that route because it's just cheaper to go over.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 7:18 PM

The designers told me it was for pedestrian safety. Instead of going through a tunnel like structure, they went over so it's more like the street on either side. That was the reasoning.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The designers told me it was for pedestrian safety. Instead of going through a tunnel like structure, they went over so it's more like the street on either side. That was the reasoning.
Either way is better than traffic lights though!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:24 PM

Absolutely.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ The unfortunate thing about it is that a through route via Moray would take a massive load off Route 90, but alas... the damage was done a long time ago. I don't comprehend how that land was not set aside for future transportation use.
I wonder, did it have something to do with how all these regions were their own cities before the Unicity thing? Like each city prior developed however they wanted and then after Unicity there was a patchwork sort of thing that happened which explains why modern day/era Winnipeg has the roads the way it does?

Or am I completely mistaken here

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:07 AM

Most if not all of the land required for the inner ring road way was acquired by the Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg who had the role of providing regional street services pre Unicity days. Some of the routes were suppose to line up with existing streets that I guess would have been widened with buyouts / expropriation.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I wonder, did it have something to do with how all these regions were their own cities before the Unicity thing? Like each city prior developed however they wanted and then after Unicity there was a patchwork sort of thing that happened which explains why modern day/era Winnipeg has the roads the way it does?

Or am I completely mistaken here
The Twin Cities metro is made up of over 200 incorporated municipalities, roads in the metro are efficient, modern and generally well kept, there was never any kind of amalgamation. Winnipeg suffers from poor planning or lack thereof, the road system here is quite frankly embarrassing. Winnipeg's road system is designed for a city of 500K, at some point politicians foolishly came to a conclusion here that roads weren't important.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:35 AM
BANNED

Agreed.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 4:04 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
The Twin Cities metro is made up of over 200 incorporated municipalities
And is home to almost 4M people. It's in no way comparable to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
And is home to almost 4M people. It's in no way comparable to Winnipeg.
What is relevant is that proper planning was done in the Twin Cities, in 1980 Minneapolis had a population of 370K while St. Paul was 270K, Winnipeg at that time was around 560K.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What is relevant is that proper planning was done in the Twin Cities, in 1980 Minneapolis had a population of 370K while St. Paul was 270K, Winnipeg at that time was around 560K.
Not sure the relevance of populations of St. Paul and Minneapolis to the above posters inference that a metro area of 4 million isn't comparable to Winnipeg. St. Paul current population is only 385k and minneapolis is 400k.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Not sure the relevance of populations of St. Paul and Minneapolis to the above posters inference that a metro area of 4 million isn't comparable to Winnipeg. St. Paul current population is only 385k and minneapolis is 400k.
Exactly. I mean Boston's population is technically smaller than Winnipeg if you're just looking at what is technically "Boston" — the metro is 4 million and the capital region is 8 million.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:50 PM

I wonder how the costs would compare to trench Moray between Portage and Ness and leave the houses there vs expropriating everything. It would certainly go a long way towards not ruining the neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:38 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Kind of like on Rothesay where a few lucky residents ended up with this as the view out their front window?

source: WFP
They also bought those properties knowing full well that sooner or later that was going to be built there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I wonder how the costs would compare to trench Moray between Portage and Ness and leave the houses there vs expropriating everything. It would certainly go a long way towards not ruining the neighborhood.
Expensive because of the drainage and pumping station needed.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
They built their homes their knowing that maybe in a century a Hwy would be built. Maybe.....
And it's not the lowest traffic volume street right now anyway. It's like the homes on Route 90 that have to put up with the traffic and when they were built it didn't exist. Not talking about the base homes. But the older parts. And now they to will be expropriated when and IF they ever widen route 90.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 11:33 PM
There is always a way

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...tion-1.3504206

So the NDP is pledging to really speed up some infrastructure projects. Not only that but the amount promised has doubled!!!! I wonder where this money is coming from!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 12:38 AM

The NDP is desperate and it shows. We promise to speed up projects we promised years ago and couldn't get around to doing until now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 12:42 AM
Heart of the Continent

It's really no different than the PCs promising to lower taxes and increase investment. No one is being realistic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan