HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:48 PM

Winnipeg:Why You Love it

Positives. Winnipeg in the future,what should change,what could be changed. Why people should move here, why not? Why would you choose winnipeg over another city to live here or why would you leave winnipeg for another city? Thought's ?

Born and raised here, traveled the world, not as much as some, but the elms, the rivers the community have kept me here, to name a few reasons The people kept me here, when so many of my friends have left for so called greener pastures.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:51 PM
BANNED

I think the Edmonton forum needs a thread like this too. According to them, the city is about to lose half it's back-assward population with regards to the arena debate and other back-assward thinking Edmonton is known for

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 4:59 PM

Yeah I drop in thier from time to time and it's crazy...

I was going to post the video from the Weakerthans..but I'll leave a quote....

Late afternoon, another day is nearly done
A darker grey is breaking through a lighter one
A thousand sharpened elbows in the underground
That hollow hurried sound, feet on polished floor
And in the dollar store, the clerk is closing up
And counting loonies trying not to say

I hate Winnipeg

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I think the Edmonton forum needs a thread like this too. According to them, the city is about to lose half it's back-assward population with regards to the arena debate and other back-assward thinking Edmonton is known for
This is off topic.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 5:39 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

I was born here. That's my excuse.

Seriously though it's like a weird oasis with a funny name. Like Ouagadougou or Timbuktu. Go east, you're in Lake of the woods. Go west, you're in flat prairie. Go North right now and theres garter snakes everywhere, or there's freshwater fishing or beaches in the summer. It's like we're world 1-1 of a Mario game.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I was born here. That's my excuse.

Seriously though it's like a weird oasis with a funny name. Like Ouagadougou or Timbuktu. Go east, you're in Lake of the woods. Go west, you're in flat prairie. Go North right now and theres garter snakes everywhere, or there's freshwater fishing or beaches in the summer. It's like we're world 1-1 of a Mario game.
That excuse works for me sometimes too...
Yeah..."Winnipeg" Cree word for "Muddy Waters", someone looks at pictures of our rivers and they go "Sewage"?..No, it's our clay soil base, Take a look at any picture of the Mississippi, from the gulf to Canada...same color...Yes garter snakes had a few..we have a dessert not to far from the Peg. in Carberry..MB

http://canada.travelall.com/mb/att/sw.htm.

Mario world 1-1 is a good anology, are we still an outpost and gateway to the west? Don't think so, Grand beach is a short drive...gotta head out thier soon...

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 6:30 PM

I find Winnipeg pretty clean for the most part. My wife is from Montreal so I go there often. I'm always struck by the sheer amount of grafetti everywhere. Sure we have some here but it really pales in comparison.

I also think the size of the city is pretty good. Its big enough to have some big city type amenities but still small enough to get to anywhere within half an hour. I have some distant cousins who live in Toronto. One has a crap tonne of clothes in the back seat of her car cause if she's going out after work she doesn't have the time to drive home and get ready to go drive back downtown.

Personal drawback I find are we're kind of in the middle of nowhere. If you want to take a decent road trip your looking at a 7 hour drive to Minneapolis, and even then you're only in Minneapolis. I hate winter and I hate hot weather so there's like a week of the year where its tolerable outside during the day. Summer nights rule though. Hanging out and it only gets dark at 9 or 10.

Our downtown is too spread out and not enough happening after 6. Not enough street level retail. I wish we had an area like Ste Catherines st. in Montreal with shops with street level access right up next to one another. Maybe in a decade the exchange could be close.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 7:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
gateway to the west? Don't think so
Sure we are a gateway to the west. We are THE gateway to the west coming from the east, and in some regards north and south. Winnipeg has the perfect spot on the eastern prairies IMO. So very close to the Shield, all the lakes big and small, forest, and tall grass prairie. I love it and miss it. I also love the quick access to the US; less than an hour on Highway 75 from St. Norbert. Grand Forks, Fargo and even Minneapolis (I can get there in 6 hours if I leave at a strategic time to miss the lineups at the border and drive the standard 10kms over the speed limit) are great weekend shopping destinations all within a relatively short driving distance. I love the hot and humid summers and those warm, sticky nights out on the town, drinking beer on a patio. It gets so damn cold at night in Alberta so you have to bundle up if you are going to be coming home later in the evening.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 12:28 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I grew up in a small VLA settlement north of the city. Along side our community was an airstrip and at the end of the runway was a seaplane base. My father was a fitter in the RCAF during the war so he worked part time on the floatplanes there. I spent years as a tot at the riverbank watching the aircraft and boats on the Red. I still remember how excited I got seeing the MS Keenora go by on it's normal schedule. Needless to say I fell in love with our rivers a long time ago. That's my favourite part of Wpg, floods and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
"Muddy Waters", someone looks at pictures of our rivers and they go "Sewage"?..No, it's our clay soil base,
Go drill a hole in the ice in the middle of winter, dip in a glass and have a refreshing drink. The water is sparkling and spotless.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 5:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the rumblings of the trains to the north ends smile
the rails beyound rumbling beyound
never far aware
to smile away
as a praire fire away
smileing above
raging way it is
above rumblings of rail tonight it be
going on to see
i run out to feel
as prarie winds to be
huging on by
sharing all to say
huging me so see
living in the peg
my home at heart
a city indeed

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:

I agree.

Anyways, on topic, even though I don't live in Winnipeg, and may not "love" it, I do like the city and think it is vastly underrated.

What I like about Winnipeg...

- Exchange District. Nothing else quite like it in Western Canada.
- Older urban fabric outside the Exchange. Be it on Portage, in Wollesley, in the Osborne Village or around Point Douglas.
- While a predominantly Anglophone city, I like the little Francophone nods the city has
- It's history. Things have happened in Winnipeg. Can't say that to the same degree for cities in SK, AB, or BC.
- The friendliness and community spirit (reminds me of Edmonton)
- Festivals (again, reminds me of Edmonton)
- The Forks. Great integration and animation of the river system to the built form of the city.
- Some neat modern architecture, like the Red River College and New Hydro Building
- Elm trees
- The potential of the city is vast
- Less flashy and materialistic (due to less disposable income) compared to Alberta and BC
- More stable, calm growth economy, rather than boom and bust

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 6:27 AM

Because Assiniboine park is a masterpiece in landscaping that I think even Frederick Olmstead would be happy with.

It's the right size of city for me, in the long run. Not too big that I don't feel ownership in things, but not too small that it lacks excitement. No so big that traffic is a burden, or pollution a worry. I enjoy living in the big city for its grandeur and admiring its scope, but I also appreciate that you can sometimes have a city that is too big to really get a connection with it as a whole. While Winnipeg has many distinct neighborhoods, I've got to say, I feel connected to them all. I feel that's tough to do in an endless city of 4 million. Or 10 million. Maybe The North End is just as disconnected with White Ridge as Kensington is from Highland Creek in Toronto...and I'm wrong on this bit.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 9:58 AM

do not love (but love it for every non-Winnipeg reason):
(photo by me last week)

Vancouver's "Hudson's Bay" location getting millions upon millions in renos while the old headquarters of the company rots...

Winnipeg is all about history.. the way our bay store is being treated, it should go all he way to the senate to be studied for a couple million dollars at least!! hell stick an experimental lake up on one of the floors maybe?

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Because Assiniboine park is a masterpiece in landscaping that I think even Frederick Olmstead would be happy with.

It's the right size of city for me, in the long run. Not too big that I don't feel ownership in things, but not too small that it lacks excitement. No so big that traffic is a burden, or pollution a worry. I enjoy living in the big city for its grandeur and admiring its scope, but I also appreciate that you can sometimes have a city that is too big to really get a connection with it as a whole. While Winnipeg has many distinct neighborhoods, I've got to say, I feel connected to them all. I feel that's tough to do in an endless city of 4 million. Or 10 million. Maybe The North End is just as disconnected with White Ridge as Kensington is from Highland Creek in Toronto...and I'm wrong on this bit.
I know exactly what you mean. Then again I have lived in every region of the city. But you are bang on with feeling connected everywhere. To put it simply, no matter where you are in the city, you are still in your home and it very much resembles and feels like your home. In a larger city that feeling is lost once you leave your area. At least that is the way I felt with Toronto. There is a deep interconnectedness within this city that is missing there.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I grew up in a small VLA settlement north of the city. Along side our community was an airstrip and at the end of the runway was a seaplane base. My father was a fitter in the RCAF during the war so he worked part time on the floatplanes there. I spent years as a tot at the riverbank watching the aircraft and boats on the Red. I still remember how excited I got seeing the MS Keenora go by on it's normal schedule. Needless to say I fell in love with our rivers a long time ago. That's my favourite part of Wpg, floods and all.

Go drill a hole in the ice in the middle of winter, dip in a glass and have a refreshing drink. The water is sparkling and spotless.
This I have to try. I've waded across the Ass. River close to Polo Park during the fall, and flung mud at friends off the river bottom, probably not smart.

Remember the boat yard on pritchard, with the I belive it was, Sharks teeth and jaw hanging from the building facing the Red?

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Sure we are a gateway to the west. We are THE gateway to the west coming from the east, and in some regards north and south. Winnipeg has the perfect spot on the eastern prairies IMO. So very close to the Shield, all the lakes big and small, forest, and tall grass prairie. I love it and miss it. I also love the quick access to the US; less than an hour on Highway 75 from St. Norbert. Grand Forks, Fargo and even Minneapolis (I can get there in 6 hours if I leave at a strategic time to miss the lineups at the border and drive the standard 10kms over the speed limit) are great weekend shopping destinations all within a relatively short driving distance. I love the hot and humid summers and those warm, sticky nights out on the town, drinking beer on a patio. It gets so damn cold at night in Alberta so you have to bundle up if you are going to be coming home later in the evening.
I enjoy many of these things Shinook,It just seems like the west starts somewhere to the west of us these days, or what I constantly here all the time. But again personally I've been coast to coast and like your saying, Winnipeg, is just right.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan