HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:47 PM

^ As an admittedly casual fan, I have to say that my interest is waning due to the dullness of the team. This weird purgatory that the Jets have been banished to where they're not good enough to qualify for the playoffs but not bad enough to get franchise-altering draft picks (Laine notwithstanding) is starting to feel repetitive.

I'd even be happy if the Moose could provide some solace, but they're even worse. And I don't get the whole "it's about player development" argument since Moose 1.0 seemed pretty good at developing players for the Canucks while also being an extremely competitive team in their own right.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:05 PM

The reason why MTSC has become so dull during games. There's not much to cheer for beyond the personal stats of Laine and Scheifele. I have/split season tix and will continue going to my 10 games a year. Hopefully something happens soon. Chipmans silence is deafening. He knows..

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:22 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
How bush league.
It is actually a common policy at most NHL arenas.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 8:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
It is actually a common policy at most NHL arenas.
Just because it is common policy at many NHL arenas, does not make it the right/logical thing to do. Having True North try to rationalize it with "air quality/energy conservation" is an insult to the intelligence of the common fan.

I guess being honest, and stating the policy was implemented to increase revenue from beer sales and concessions, would not go over too well...

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 3:15 AM

Quote:
If Chevy does not make some trades that will help us on the blueline, or for a reliable veteran goalie, I will question the Jets organization. We have two forwards (Dano and Petan) that most teams would snap up in a second, that are spending more time in the press box than on the ice. If the Jets are not going to utilize their excess offensive firepower, we should trade them for players in a position that the Jets are poor at.

We allowed some of the most shots, most goals against, and were horrible at penalty killing. We need the coaching and personnel who can properly address these problems. Interestingly, a poster on another forum posted what Hurricanes fans were saying about Maurice shortly before he was fired from Carolina. It echoes the opinions of Jets fans, only 5 years ago. Maurice is a mediocre coach, and his system is ineffective. Extending him would send a message that the Jets value loyalty over performance on the ice.
"Maurice is a mediocre coach" He is mediocre at best. Nothing will change as long as he is coach of the Jets. Upper management should wake up and smarter up and look at his record with the Jets which as we all know is 1 playoff series and ZERO wins. They should have dumped him at the end of this year.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:16 AM
jammon member

I have to say as a joint season ticket holder, I'm very close to giving up my season tickets. I have basically decided to give the team one more year. Season tickets are ridiculously expensive as are the concessions. And now they institute a no re-entry policy for the small minority that grab a beer while most of us in the 300 section are just running out to go to the bathroom at City Place. I share in two sections and my 300 tickets are god-awful. We have seats 11 and 12 in row 8 in section 321 and I have to literally do the "pee-pee dance" in my seat so I can make it to the end of the period so I can get to the bathroom. Then, when you finally make it out to the concourse, you literally spend your entire intermission waiting to go to that bathroom. At each and every game there is a large contingent of fans that run to City Place just because we can't wait for the ridiculous lines in the arena. I am quickly losing patience with Chipman and TNSE.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
"Maurice is a mediocre coach" He is mediocre at best. Nothing will change as long as he is coach of the Jets. Upper management should wake up and smarter up and look at his record with the Jets which as we all know is 1 playoff series and ZERO wins. They should have dumped him at the end of this year.
Some of the measures implemented in the past couple of years by True North, or at least the ones I have heard of, really make me question the organization. Having one of the highest regular season ticket prices, did they really need to announce an increase in ticket prices, that once again are well above inflation rates? A desire to make money is one thing. Implementing rules for the sole purpose of increasing beer sales, which I hear can set attendees back $10.00+ a single beer (rather than let fans go across the street to a nearby pub for 20 minutes), just reeks of desperation, especially when the official press release names the primary reason as "air quality/conserving energy."

It does not paint a rosy picture of an organization that bought an NHL team for $170 million, and in just six years has seen the value of the Jets franchise more than double. Add tax incentives, and other breaks by Government, there is no reason to squeeze every last dime out of the people who attend games. We will just see a repeat of what is happening in Ottawa this playoff year, and what happened at the World Junior championships, where fans simply refuse to pay for tickets, and the end result are thousands of unsold seats. There is a breaking point, especially in a blue collar town like Winnipeg, where fans will refuse to buy tickets.

I'm honestly starting to question the Jets ability to ever ice a playoff team, if Chipman and True North are not willing to spend the necessary funds on resigning or buying out players and coaches. It could explain why Pavelec was not bought out in 2014, and would explain why Maurice still has a job.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Just because it is common policy at many NHL arenas, does not make it the right/logical thing to do. Having True North try to rationalize it with "air quality/energy conservation" is an insult to the intelligence of the common fan.
The common fan seems to think that Mark Stuart is a good defenseman and that Pavelec is an incredible goaltender. Can you insult what isn't there?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I have to say as a joint season ticket holder, I'm very close to giving up my season tickets. I have basically decided to give the team one more year. Season tickets are ridiculously expensive as are the concessions. And now they institute a no re-entry policy for the small minority that grab a beer while most of us in the 300 section are just running out to go to the bathroom at City Place. I share in two sections and my 300 tickets are god-awful. We have seats 11 and 12 in row 8 in section 321 and I have to literally do the "pee-pee dance" in my seat so I can make it to the end of the period so I can get to the bathroom. Then, when you finally make it out to the concourse, you literally spend your entire intermission waiting to go to that bathroom. At each and every game there is a large contingent of fans that run to City Place just because we can't wait for the ridiculous lines in the arena. I am quickly losing patience with Chipman and TNSE.
Do you sit beside the guy who hates Enstrom?

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 1:55 PM

I'm in section 324 and don't really have any issue getting into the washroom. And our 3 seats are smack dab in the middle of the row. So getting in and out you need to walk past 8 or 9 people. The washroom location right beside the front entrance from the atrium usually goes pretty quick. The beer vendor right there is also super quick. I really have no issues with waiting at Jets games.

And yeah, there's 7000 people in the upper bowl. You're going to have to wait to get out from your seat.Wouldn't waiting be expected at sports events? Have you seen the line-ups and issues at Edmonton's brand new arena??

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 2:28 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Do you sit beside the guy who hates Enstrom?
Haha. Our section is very chatty. Everyone is a hockey expert, but if it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he sits behind us. I also share seats in section 123 and it's night and day compared to the upper bowl.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
Haha. Our section is very chatty. Everyone is a hockey expert, but if it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he sits behind us. I also share seats in section 123 and it's night and day compared to the upper bowl.
I'm row 7, seats 13 and 14, so I hear the anti-Enstrom talk from somewhere directly behind me.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The common fan seems to think that Mark Stuart is a good defenseman and that Pavelec is an incredible goaltender. Can you insult what isn't there?
The majority of fans thought Pavelec was horrible. Stuart is a liability on defense.

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 4, 2017 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 8:39 PM

Somewhat surprised most fans haven't woken up to the fact the Chevy or Chipman is the true liability to the success of the team in Winnipeg. Someone higher than Maurice is willing to accept the lack luster on ice performance and not call the coaching staff or make the player moves to fix it.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 9:09 PM

Yup. I think it ultimately goes back to Chipman. Chevy has done a good job drafting. But it's mostly his staff doing that. Otherwise he's done shit all. One trade getting rid of Kane, which he did okay on. Fired Claude Noel which was a mistake from the beginning. Maurice now is getting into that territory where coaching looks real bad.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 11:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Somewhat surprised most fans haven't woken up to the fact the Chevy or Chipman is the true liability to the success of the team in Winnipeg. Someone higher than Maurice is willing to accept the lack luster on ice performance and not call the coaching staff or make the player moves to fix it.
Maurice, Huddy, and Flaherty have to to go, is the Jets ever want post season success. Who is the special teams coach? He should be fired as well.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
The majority of fans thought Pavelec was horrible. Stuart is a liability on defense.
I would argue the majority of hockey savvy fans thought that, but the average fan who maybe watched a game here and there and kept up with the team through the news or front page highlights loved Stuart, Thorburn and Pavelec. I've only had the fortune of watching a few games at MTS Centre but I ran into many people who thought Pavelec and Stuart were solid.

I questioned my own sanity in those moments...."maybe I have it all wrong"

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 1:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I would argue the majority of hockey savvy fans thought that, but the average fan who maybe watched a game here and there and kept up with the team through the news or front page highlights loved Stuart, Thorburn and Pavelec. I've only had the fortune of watching a few games at MTS Centre but I ran into many people who thought Pavelec and Stuart were solid.
I really doubt that, considering that Thorburn is a career 4th liner, who can't fight to save his life. Stuart is arguably the worst regular defenseman the Jets have. Trouba, Scheifele, Byfuglien, Laine and Wheeler are loved by the Jets failthful. People tend to like good players, not shitty players. People even loved Kane, until it was revealed he is a horrible person.

Old Posted May 5, 2017, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets4life View Post
stuart is arguably the worst regular defenseman the jets have in the league.
ftfy

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 3:27 AM

Quote:
ftfy
No that was Brian Strait, the Jets top free agent signing in 2016, when he did in fact played a few games for the Jets this past season.

Seriously, there was plenty of bewilderment and consternation among knowledgeable Jets fans when Strait was signed given his advanced stats were some of the worst in the NHL the previous season...yet Chevy apparently had his eyes on him for quite awhile as a 7th or 8th defenseman.

Paid him a cool $1 million to play defense for the Moose most of the season. Signings like this, the 4-year contract given to Stewart 3 years ago (when it was obvious he was a bad defenseman even back then, Maurice's usage of defensemen (ie Stewart on the penalty kill), and the drafting of Stanley in the first round has raised concern of the Jets' management and coaching staff's ability to identify and develop good defensemen and structure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan