HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:28 PM
arf

Regina food trucks not renewing permits as city ups price

I seemed to have noticed a large drop in activity on the plaza this year. Now we know why. The article also seems to hint that customer traffic had declined for some vendors as well so a double-whammy.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Regina food trucks not renewing permits as city ups price

I seemed to have noticed a large drop in activity on the plaza this year. Now we know why. The article also seems to hint that customer traffic had declined for some vendors as well so a double-whammy.
This is partially the result of bricks and mortar establishments complaining. They pay a lot of taxes, and have a lot more regulatory burden.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This is partially the result of bricks and mortar establishments complaining. They pay a lot of taxes, and have a lot more regulatory burden.
It's also due to many of the food trucks having subpar food.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:03 PM

Avenue:

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Avenue:

Looks beautiful!!!!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:44 AM

Wascana Park

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...ss-development

So with the new Conexus building going in they are starting to cut down trees in the park, lots of them, 100 of so. To this point I haven't been too upset about this development but this really pisses me off. A lot of these trees are decades old and it is a total shame to see them cut down. Does anyone know much about translating trees? Maybe it is not feasible with bigger trees but I seem to remember years ago at the U of R they did transplant a fair number of larger poplar and elm trees instead of cutting them down. It pisses me off that the city and or province didn't force Conexus to do this. It might have been costly but even if they saved some of them it would have made a difference.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 4:46 AM

Eat Healthy Foods

Not sure if people remember this spot, it was one of the original organic stores in the city and closed a number of years ago. I was biking by it the other night and it looks like there are some Renos going on in there. Anyone have the scoop on what's going in there?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:09 AM

Odd thread for a discussion about the Connexus Building, but whatever.

I hope you're not getting your numbers for tree removal from No Business In The Park as they may be massaging those numbers just a bit. It's actually 100 or so trees removed or transplanted. These could also include bushes such as Lilac, Dogwood, etc.

Part of the work being done is also the realignment of the Lorne St entrance to Wascana, which has been a cockeyed, offset, tight corner and has been listed in the Wascana Park Master Plan for years for redo and so some trees would have been lost in eventuality anyway.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 7:53 PM

I was walking downtown and a couple spots came to mind that would be perfect for some more restaurants. I find that there are some holes in downtown regarding connection between businesses to help in the pub/restaurant crawl or wander between that needs to be filled in.

The vacant Conexus building main floor spot would be perfect for a restaurant with outside patio. This would then connect a further north restaurant to the Capitol, and Vic's Tavern and to Famoso, Fat Badger and 20Ten.

Across the street at the Alvin Hamilton building (not sure what they are currently doing inside) but the lobby/high ceiling area would be perfect for another restaurant/bar.

Also wish the Royal Bank Tower would lease the Hamilton street side of the main floor lobby to a restaurant to give some life to that corner of the building and street.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:37 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
[SIZE="4"]
Across the street at the Alvin Hamilton building (not sure what they are currently doing inside) but the lobby/high ceiling area would be perfect for another restaurant/bar.

The former Scotiabank space is being used as the construction staging area/site office for the building retrofit. All floors are being gutted to the studs to fit more federal tenants in... basically doubling federal occupants (you can see the first floor of the ‘tower’ has no blinds - from the street it’s clearly gutted), project is to ongoing until 2019 (started in 2017).

Building is owned by the feds, I can’t imagine they’d be interested in being a landlord again... so, very unlikely the former Scotiabank space will be home to anything other than a federal tentant.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
The former Scotiabank space is being used as the construction staging area/site office for the building retrofit. All floors are being gutted to the studs to fit more federal tenants in... basically doubling federal occupants (you can see the first floor of the ‘tower’ has no blinds - from the street it’s clearly gutted), project is to ongoing until 2019 (started in 2017).

Building is owned by the feds, I can’t imagine they’d be interested in being a landlord again... so, very unlikely the former Scotiabank space will be home to anything other than a federal tentant.
How many times has that building be completely re-done in the last 25 years?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 3:25 PM

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
That is very sad. I think they have been struggling ever since they opened their second location.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2018, 9:17 PM

There are so many fast food locations in that end of the city now, I'm sure it's been hard for BB to compete with them.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
There are so many fast food locations in that end of the city now, I'm sure it's been hard for BB to compete with them.
And for those of us not in the east end of the city, it was a much less attractive location than the one on north Albert Street.

I don't think I ever once went to the Quance Street location to eat. I did go to the north Albert Street location about once a year.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Boi View Post
That is very sad. I think they have been struggling ever since they opened their second location.
Absolutely the wrong decision. It took a struggling business and spread them even thinner. When your main (historical) location is struggling, opening another one probably isn't the best business decision. I feel bad for them as the original N.Albert location was a favourite of mine from when I was a kid.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:27 PM

The Dad was a great businessman. The kid and current owner is a bit of a doofus with zero business acumen

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:07 PM

Tried out Avenue for lunch. Very busy for a Monday. Nice décor, small menu. Service was fast. I had the hotdog which was very good. $23 with tax and tip though.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Tried out Avenue for lunch. Very busy for a Monday. Nice décor, small menu. Service was fast. I had the hotdog which was very good. $23 with tax and tip though.
Menu is on their crackbook page.
https://www.facebook.com/avenueYQR/menu/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan