HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlvis View Post
Midtown Alliance is soliciting feedback this weekend on a proposal for the realignment of the intersection and expansion of the sidewalks at Peachtree and Peachtree Place.

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/pro...al-row-commons
I'm not sure how this aligns with MA's transportation plan bike network, specifically to use Peachtree Place as a preferred bike route w/bike infrastructure
"A protected cycle track on Peachtree Place takes advantage of the street’s current width and provides another east-west connection through Midtown":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xds40fwvuo...twork.pdf?dl=0

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Midtown Alliance is soliciting feedback this weekend on a proposal for the realignment of the intersection and expansion of the sidewalks at Peachtree and Peachtree Place.

My feedback is that will be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I'm not sure how this aligns with MA's transportation plan bike network, specifically to use Peachtree Place as a preferred bike route w/bike infrastructure
"A protected cycle track on Peachtree Place takes advantage of the street’s current width and provides another east-west connection through Midtown":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xds40fwvuo...twork.pdf?dl=0
They should add bike lanes or a track instead of the few street parking spots. Peachtree Place is useless as a bike road right now, but if Juniper gets a high end bike treatment as I believe it's supposed to, there will need to be a connector into the western part of Midtown. Since Peachtree Place is wide and low traffic all the way to West Peachtree, this should be the spot.

imo they should also make Peachtree Place one-way eastbound on the other side of Peachtree. There's little need for cars to go westbound there: if you're coming from Juniper trying to get to the west part of Midtown, you should take 10th or 8th; if you're coming from Metropolis, you should take 8th. People barely even use it anyways.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
https://www.farrington.com/work-in-progress-whitehall/

Let's hope this "work in progress" gets a lot more thoughtful design put into it. Otherwise, it's pretty banal.
No way this project happens, at least not in its current iteration. The cost of underground parking (although the CoStar report said garage) are high, concrete construction is expensive, and based on their achievable rents, even with the bond financing, I can't see how this will pencil. Not to mention, where we are in the cycle, who the developer is, etc.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 6:28 PM

SAP was filed for the 495 Peachtree project:

Three buildings-489, 493 and 495 Peachtree Street along associated surface Parking lots fronting on Courtland Street NE. Redevelop a commercial building fronting Peachtree Street containing 100,000sf and high-rise multifamily building of 200 units fronting Courtland Street. Addresses included are: 489, 493, 495 and 496 Peachtree Street/ parcels #14 005000040824 and 14 005000040253

SAP filed for 675 West Peachtree (AT&T Plaza)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 8:38 PM
BANNED

675 West Peachtree - AT&T Plaza

The second project is located on the south end of the district at 675 West Peachtree Street. This 49 story, 1.4 million SF tower is known locally as the AT&T building. Recently acquired by New York-based Ichan Enterprises, the project is being led by CBRE with landscape design by HGOR and interior design by IDEA|SPAN. The first phase focuses on interior updates to the lobby and reimagining the expansive, multi-level plaza that fronts on West Peachtree. The DRC was generally supportive of proposed plaza enhancements and encouraged the applicant add more landscape elements and natural materials to soften the hard edges of the vent enclosures for the MARTA tunnel, which spans the length of the plaza below grade. Moreover, the committee stressed the need for strategic retail anchors within the vast plaza, whether temporary kiosks or more permanent structures, to provide a compelling destination that would attract and sustain activity throughout the day. They reinforced the importance of sufficient infrastructure, such as access to power and water, to make activation feasible and cited well-known national examples such as the kiosks in Bryant Park as relevant models for creating destination drivers suited both to a daytime population as well as residents and theater-goers. AT&T is projected to fully vacate the building by 2021.

1389, 1401, and 1409 Peachtree Street

At the north end of the district, Parkside Partners recently acquired three buildings on the northeast corner of Peachtree and 17th Street and is working with ASD|SKY on an adaptive reuse concept. As part of repositioning 1389, 1401 and 1409 Peachtree Street, they plan to give the buildings a more contemporary facelift and provide active public space across the front, intended to function as an outdoor living room. The DRC emphasized two primary concerns with current plans: (1) the circulation pattern for vehicular ingress and egress is not sufficiently clear to understand the impact on Peachtree Street and the adjacent residential neighborhood of Ansley Park, and (2) the proposed trellis structure across the Peachtree frontage needs additional refinement to serve as an enhancement to the project rather than a distracting element. The committee encouraged the applicant to explore additional options for using the architecture of the buildings to engage the plaza and adjacent pedestrian environment. Parkside Partners will present the plans to Ansley Park this evening and the DRC recommended review and comment by NPU-E.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:

HELL YES! Always been a cooky ped crossing - wide sidewalks are a much better use of space

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
My feedback is that will be amazing.

They should add bike lanes or a track instead of the few street parking spots. Peachtree Place is useless as a bike road right now, but if Juniper gets a high end bike treatment as I believe it's supposed to, there will need to be a connector into the western part of Midtown. Since Peachtree Place is wide and low traffic all the way to West Peachtree, this should be the spot.

imo they should also make Peachtree Place one-way eastbound on the other side of Peachtree. There's little need for cars to go westbound there: if you're coming from Juniper trying to get to the west part of Midtown, you should take 10th or 8th; if you're coming from Metropolis, you should take 8th. People barely even use it anyways.
City is removing one-way cross streets, not putting more in

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 12:40 PM

One way vs Two way Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
City is removing one-way cross streets, not putting more in

Is there a plan for Spring St and West Peachtree St to be converted from one way to two way, as well?

If so, is there a working timetable for those two way conversions? They each seem to be working efficiently as is, in my opinion.

Maybe the two way conversion applies only, as you say, to "cross streets" as we saw on 7th and 8th and 13th - among others.

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/mid...two-way-access

On the other hand, with all the massive development in progress (CODA, ANTHEM, Northside Hospital, Arts Center vicinity), and planned, (Cousins' 8th @ West, Midtown Union, Selig's 1105 West Peachtree, etc) maybe there's a two way conversion change anticipated over the next 5- 10 years for Spring and West Peachtree.

Does anyone know the long term vision for Spring street and West Peachtree street?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Is there a plan for Spring St and West Peachtree St to be converted from one way to two way, as well?

If so, is there a working timetable for two way conversions for Spring and West Peachtree? They each seem to be working efficiently as is, in my opinion.

Maybe the two way conversion applies only, as you say, to "cross streets" as we saw on 7th and 8th and 13th - among others.

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/mid...two-way-access

With all the development in progress (CODA, ANTHEM, Northside Hospital, Arts Center vicinity), and planned, (Cousins' 8th @ West, Midtown Union, Selig's 1105 West Peachtree, etc) though, could there be a change planned these next 5- 10 years for Spring and West Peachtree ?

Does anyone know the long term vision for Spring street and West Peachtree street?
Last I heard was from Midtown Alliance's Transportation, where both were to remain one way streets, w/ a complete streets improvement including separated bikeways. West peachtree was planned to be converted two ways only between: "North Ave to Pine St"

Part of Spring Street Improvements (at least engineering & design) are already under way at the northern section.
https://www.midtownatl.com/about/pro...vement-project

BK-01 West Peachtree Street Complete
Street (Pine Street to Peachtree Street)

West Peachtree currently has a northbound bike lane
extending from North Avenue to 12th Street. The narrow
width and placement of the current bike lane between onstreet
parking and fast moving vehicles makes for an unsafe
facility. This project retains the one-way operation north of
North Avenue and repurposes one travel lane to create a
buffered northbound cycle track. South of North Avenue,
West Peachtree would convert to two-way operation with
bike lanes in each direction. This project also includes
sidewalk improvements, bus shelters, and other traffic
calming strategies. When demand for car travel decreases
in the future, it is recommended that West Peachtree Street
be fully converted to two-way operation.

BK-02 Spring Street Complete Street (17th to
Linden Avenue)

Spring Street, the southbound complement to West
Peachtree Street, is in need of significant improvements
to the pedestrian environment. Redevelopment is finally
occurring on this corridor but there are major safety and
comfort issues that need to be addressed. This project
includes new sidewalks with pedestrian amenities and
repurposes one travel lane to create a buffered southbound
cycle track. When demand for car travel decreases in
the future, it is recommended that Spring Street be fully
converted to two-way operation.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Last I heard was from Midtown Alliance's Transportation, where both were to remain one way streets, w/ a complete streets improvement including separated bikeways. West peachtree was planned to be converted two ways only between: "North Ave to Pine St"
I think long term, there was talk about converting both to two way, but they decided to prioritize other projects in the near term.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:32 PM

Smile

Quote:

Part of Spring Street Improvements (at least engineering & design) are already under way at the northern section.
https://www.midtownatl.com/about/pro...vement-project

BK-01 West Peachtree Street Complete
Street (Pine Street to Peachtree Street)

West Peachtree currently has a northbound bike lane
extending from North Avenue to 12th Street. The narrow
width and placement of the current bike lane between onstreet
parking and fast moving vehicles makes for an unsafe
facility. This project retains the one-way operation north of
North Avenue and repurposes one travel lane to create a
buffered northbound cycle track. South of North Avenue,
West Peachtree would convert to two-way operation with
bike lanes in each direction. This project also includes
sidewalk improvements, bus shelters, and other traffic
calming strategies. When demand for car travel decreases
in the future, it is recommended that West Peachtree Street
be fully converted to two-way operation.

BK-02 Spring Street Complete Street (17th to
Linden Avenue)

Spring Street, the southbound complement to West
Peachtree Street, is in need of significant improvements
to the pedestrian environment. Redevelopment is finally
occurring on this corridor but there are major safety and
comfort issues that need to be addressed. This project
includes new sidewalks with pedestrian amenities and
repurposes one travel lane to create a buffered southbound
cycle track. When demand for car travel decreases in
the future, it is recommended that Spring Street be fully
converted to two-way operation.
Thanks mucho !!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
675 West Peachtree - AT&T Plaza

The second project is located on the south end of the district at 675 West Peachtree Street. This 49 story, 1.4 million SF tower is known locally as the AT&T building. Recently acquired by New York-based Ichan Enterprises, the project is being led by CBRE with landscape design by HGOR and interior design by IDEA|SPAN. The first phase focuses on interior updates to the lobby and reimagining the expansive, multi-level plaza that fronts on West Peachtree. The DRC was generally supportive of proposed plaza enhancements and encouraged the applicant add more landscape elements and natural materials to soften the hard edges of the vent enclosures for the MARTA tunnel, which spans the length of the plaza below grade. Moreover, the committee stressed the need for strategic retail anchors within the vast plaza, whether temporary kiosks or more permanent structures, to provide a compelling destination that would attract and sustain activity throughout the day. They reinforced the importance of sufficient infrastructure, such as access to power and water, to make activation feasible and cited well-known national examples such as the kiosks in Bryant Park as relevant models for creating destination drivers suited both to a daytime population as well as residents and theater-goers. AT&T is projected to fully vacate the building by 2021.
I'm surprised no one is talking about this. I expected this building to get a Colony Square type of renovation and bring the retail towards the street. Unless they do a significant remodel on the inside, I don't see Amazon or many other companies flocking to this building. It's just lipstick on a pig.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THWg View Post
I'm surprised no one is talking about this. I expected this building to get a Colony Square type of renovation and bring the retail towards the street. Unless they do a significant remodel on the inside, I don't see Amazon or many other companies flocking to this building. It's just lipstick on a pig.
This building is ‘class B’ office space, and my understanding is Amazon would only use it for 5 years or so while they build out their new class A headquarters buildings nearby or at the gultch. With the Bank of America vacancies, building owners might be hesitant to pour big bucks into this area now. Perhaps in 10 years when the area fills out would be a better time to do such a renovation

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:40 PM

Quote:
This is just the first phase. From the glimpses I caught of the renderings, there will be at least 3 phases. Future phases will address the rest of the property, including the annex building that has an entrance to the MARTA station. Apparently they are waiting for the leases to expire on the existing tenants in the annex building before they can go forward with the rest. They said the leases expire in 2021 but hinted they could negotiate earlier termination if necessary.

They plan to put retail/dining in the annex building opening to the north side of the plaza. They also want to open up the annex building so you can see the MARTA Station below.

They wanted to make the giant mural on the annex building into a video display, but apparently the zoning in Midtown won't allow that.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Your perception ultimately proves what I have been saying - Amazon has selected this space for their initial HQ2 space. Given Amazon wants to be moved into a space by 2019, the building owner's can not take on a massive renovation of the space. As you said, they are just putting lipstick on a pig.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
This building is ‘class B’ office space, and my understanding is Amazon would only use it for 5 years or so while they build out their new class A headquarters buildings nearby or at the gultch. With the Bank of America vacancies, building owners might be hesitant to pour big bucks into this area now. Perhaps in 10 years when the area fills out would be a better time to do such a renovation
Actually the Bank of America building has gone from a 60% vacancy in 2014 to approaching 20% today.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Star Metals Residences

Buildings on the right

Close up of the facade - NICE

8th @ West Peachtree - New View

It definitely towers over the building's around it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Your perception ultimately proves what I have been saying - Amazon has selected this space for their initial HQ2 space. Given Amazon wants to be moved into a space by 2019, the building owner's can not take on a massive renovation of the space. As you said, they are just putting lipstick on a pig.
I'll say it makes a lot more sense there as a three stage redevelopment there would seem to imply something big is dropping there. And if Amazon is moving across the street eventually and into ATT for a couple years, then doing some lipstick for the current time makes perfect sense. While there are a few buildings down the street, it's not like Coda/Anthem, etc are spurring this development solely. Both of those buildings have been underway for a relatively long time.

This property has always been next to the Fox and on top of the MARTA station. The fact the owners are doing something now, this late in the cycle, says they see/know something bigger for the space than what we are all seeing.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:36 PM

Yeah Carl Icahn is looking for a big payday with or without Jeff Bezos, and I'm sure they know each other anyway.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:46 PM

What is the estimated height for 50 Allen plaza

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations