HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #221  
Old Posted Today, 1:50 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think Chicago is much different than most major U.S. metros re. "tale of two cities". How is it different from, say, Philly?
philly would probably be chicago's closest competition for the most extreme "tale of two cities" trophy.

what tips the scales in chicago's favor for me though is the extent of abandoned urbanism in chicago. philly certainly has its fair share of forlorn and failing neighborhoods, but it doesn't seem to have anything approaching the scale of chicago's urban prairies (the ultimate manifestation of urban death).

but if you want to say chicago is 1A and philly is 1B, that works too.




chicago is the only city that i know of that has both lost ~350,000 black residents and also built 50 500+ foot towers so far this century.

it's absolutely a city that is more extreme on the "tale of two cities" front than most other (i would argue all other) US cities in my opinion.
__________________
He has to go.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Today at 2:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #222  
Old Posted Today, 3:24 PM
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
philly would probably be chicago's closest competition for the most extreme "tale of two cities" trophy.

what tips the scales in chicago's favor for me though is the extent of abandoned urbanism in chicago. philly certainly has its fair share of forlorn and failing neighborhoods, but it doesn't seem to have anything approaching the scale of chicago's urban prairies (the ultimate manifestation of urban death).

but if you want to say chicago is 1A and philly is 1B, that works too.




chicago is the only city that i know of that has both lost ~350,000 black residents and also built 50 500+ foot towers so far this century.

it's absolutely a city that is more extreme on the "tale of two cities" front than most other (i would argue all other) US cities in my opinion.


I'm not sure that's the best example... NS is trying to expand their yard south and has bought / razed most of the properties (there are a few holdouts I believe).
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #223  
Old Posted Today, 3:51 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I'm not sure that's the best example... NS is trying to expand their yard south and has bought / razed most of the properties (there are a few holdouts I believe).
ok. then let's go with these:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7983...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7743...7i16384!8i8192
__________________
He has to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #224  
Old Posted Today, 4:07 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
crisis actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: under the coin of caesar
Posts: 9,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

it's absolutely a city that is more extreme on the "tale of two cities" front than most other (i would argue all other) US cities in my opinion.
the tragic/odd part of this is how i've always thought of chicago as also historically being the unofficial capital of the american middle class...even the wealthy often carry themselves with a certain middle class panache. the middle class also just seems more visible, vital, and much larger generally in the metropolitan midwest than some other regions.

(metro) chicago makes sense to me in that way, whereas as when i visit other large u.s. cities on coasts, i'm left scratching my head as to how being middle class works.
__________________
t h e r e is no C h a o s.... . . . only g r e a t E n e r g y

Last edited by Centropolis; Today at 4:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #225  
Old Posted Today, 4:18 PM
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
>~< , QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: South Loop, Chicago
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Yeah the 53rd and Prairie site is especially tragic given the transit access and proximity to UChicago. I pass by that site most days (either on the green line or the 192).
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #226  
Old Posted Today, 4:27 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 16,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Yeah the 53rd and Prairie site is especially tragic given the transit access and proximity to UChicago. I pass by that site most days (either on the green line or the 192).
Just a matter of time, it will get redeveloped
__________________
I love the Democratic Socialists of America
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #227  
Old Posted Today, 4:34 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
crisis actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: under the coin of caesar
Posts: 9,424
__________________
t h e r e is no C h a o s.... . . . only g r e a t E n e r g y
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #228  
Old Posted Today, 4:36 PM
Centropolis's Avatar
Centropolis Centropolis is offline
crisis actor
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: under the coin of caesar
Posts: 9,424
actually i can find this exact chicago vernacular, the greystone 2-flat: https://goo.gl/maps/kqbE74pQ69QFc6vd7

in st. louis: https://goo.gl/maps/npQf5VxgtYBEjhJn6

for all this talk of milwaukee and chicago being so architecturally related, you don't really hear much about that vis-à-vis st. louis since they are supposed to be completely different style of cities...
__________________
t h e r e is no C h a o s.... . . . only g r e a t E n e r g y
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #229  
Old Posted Today, 4:47 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 20,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post

for all this talk of milwaukee and chicago being so architecturally related
milwaukee's residential vernacular is nowhere remotely as masonry-oriented as chicago's.

milwaukee's residential vernacular is hard-core great lakes typology, wood frame galore.

as a hybrid city, chicago does A LOT of both masonry and wood frame vernacular such that:

this chicago street is much more reminiscent of st. louis (and you'd be hard-pressed to find such a street in milwaukee)

whereas this chicago street is much more reminiscent of milwaukee (and you'd be hard-pressed to find such a street in st. louis)

and then some chicago streets are just a jumbled, mashed-up mess of the two typologies



most of the chicago/milwaukee big brother/little brother thing comes from the shared geographies, histories, and ethnicities.

residential vernacular architecture is a much weaker link between the two cities. you'll find more architectural links on the commercial side of things.
__________________
He has to go.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Today at 5:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #230  
Old Posted Today, 5:36 PM
goat314's Avatar
goat314 goat314 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: St. Louie
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
milwaukee's residential vernacular is nowhere remotely as masonry-oriented as chicago's.

milwaukee's residential vernacular is hard-core great lakes typology, wood frame galore.

as a hybrid city, chicago does A LOT of both masonry and wood frame vernacular such that:

this chicago street is much more reminiscent of st. louis (and you'd be hard-pressed to find such a street in milwaukee)

whereas this chicago street is much more reminiscent of milwaukee (and you'd be hard-pressed to find such a street in st. louis)



most of the chicago/milwaukee big brother/little brother thing comes from the shared geographies, histories, and ethnicities.

residential vernacular architecture is a much weaker link between the two cities. you'll find more architectural links on the commercial side of things.
Chicago's residential architecture is like a mash up between Milwaukee and St. Louis. While it's downtown has more of a East Coast, Manhattan type feel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:48 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.