HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:47 PM
The City

^ Wow, OPO on a roll!

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 5:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ seriously.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:23 PM
you know where I'll be

Very pleased to hear about this sold leasing momentum, but not surprised.
This is the single most important office project in Chicago - not only at present - but in a long time. And - the transformational potential for the SW Loop area, with the Post Office being the catalyst, is enormous. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s up to 70% leased by the time it opens to the first tenants later this year. Also, although I don’t have any inside info as such, my guess is that one of the major coworking firms will take a large space - quite possibly the largest coworking space in the city (an entire floor?) here as well. It makes too much sense.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:43 PM

5/28. These are not spiral staircases

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
5/28. These are not spiral staircases

Ooh. Can I buy a ticket for a ride?

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:36 PM

No,no,no, this was used as a drop off point for daycare!

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:58 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

They have to keep that. Its old industrial art now.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:03 PM
પટેલ. કે ન

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Very pleased to hear about this sold leasing momentum, but not surprised.
This is the single most important office project in Chicago - not only at present - but in a long time. And - the transformational potential for the SW Loop area, with the Post Office being the catalyst, is enormous. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s up to 70% leased by the time it opens to the first tenants later this year. Also, although I don’t have any inside info as such, my guess is that one of the major coworking firms will take a large space - quite possibly the largest coworking space in the city (an entire floor?) here as well. It makes too much sense.
Remember the old plans were to tear down half of the building because the 2.5million square feet was just too enormous to renovate and would be unable to ever fully occupy. Luckily we waited and cooler heads prevailed.

http://www.post433.com/

In the link I had previously seen the video Act I
But Not Act II and Act III.

Who sings the song in act III?

EDIT

NM=nevermind my kids figured it out.

Its by an obscure group that only has a few videos on YouTube.

And this song was not one of them.

Its call "Gotta switch it on " by the group Grace Mesa.

Grace Mesa is a production team comprised of singer-songwriter Shane Allen of electronic act "DANKE" and multi-instrumentalist Isaac Carpenter of "Awolnation" Their dynamic musical influences and quirky style, coupled with their indie-pop sensibility make this duo unique and refreshing in their approach to commercial music.

https://www.premiumbeat.com/artist/grace-mesa

Here is the whole song, no video exists a far as I know.

https://soundcloud.com/premiumbeatby...witchiton-full

Last edited by bnk; May 30, 2019 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 9:09 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Remember the old plans were to tear down half of the building because the 2.5million square feet was just too enormous to renovate and would be unable to ever fully occupy. Luckily we waited and cooler heads prevailed.
I still think that from an aesthetic perspective that knocking down the east addition would have looked better but that is a minor squabble.

What I do wonder is that with the robust leasing numbers coming in before the OPO is even operational is where there will be plans to knock down the annex building on the SE corner and build some sort of tower accompany the rest of the complex. I'd love to see a building of 400-800feet bookend the south branch of the river there.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I still think that from an aesthetic perspective that knocking down the east addition would have looked better but that is a minor squabble.

What I do wonder is that with the robust leasing numbers coming in before the OPO is even operational is where there will be plans to knock down the annex building on the SE corner and build some sort of tower accompany the rest of the complex. I'd love to see a building of 400-800feet bookend the south branch of the river there.
I really hope they keep the sugar building annex and turn it into nice loft office space. It is a beautiful red brick building and could look gorgeous with some new windows and a gut rehab. It would really be a shame to lose such a nice and pretty massive brick building considering how hot that sector is right now in other parts of town. Anyone know what 601's plan is for this building yet?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

I believe the 'east addition' you refer to is actually the original post office building constructed in 1921... the rest of the massive building is the actual 'addition' and was constructed in 1932...

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 5:06 PM
TL;DR

News today that the OPO developers cooperated with the Feds to bring down Ed Burke... Danny Solis was supposed to steer 601W to Burke's law firm, and in exchange Burke would get 601W the TIF funding they needed.

Given this, I can't believe Rahm wasn't in-the-know on the Feds' plan. Rahm pushed so hard to get the OPO developed, and he even threatened Bill Davies with eminent domain.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Wow. That's a really uncomfortable looking hot tub 601W is installing at OPO. Make sure your tetanus shots are up to date before getting in.

Last edited by Mister Uptempo; May 31, 2019 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 8:18 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
News today that the OPO developers cooperated with the Feds to bring down Ed Burke... Danny Solis was supposed to steer 601W to Burke's law firm, and in exchange Burke would get 601W the TIF funding they needed.

Given this, I can't believe Rahm wasn't in-the-know on the Feds' plan. Rahm pushed so hard to get the OPO developed, and he even threatened Bill Davies with eminent domain.

Thank you 601W.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Makes sense it was an out of town developer to push back.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:41 PM

Sorry for the slightly crooked potato quality cell phone shot, but caught them testing the exterior lighting for this magnificent beast at dusk last night:

This is going to be sooo awesome once it is done and lit up like the Merch Mart...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 6:46 PM

Hell yeah! I loved when they added LED's to the Rookery's exterior, but this is going to be a jaw dropper driving by.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:10 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...-cisco-systems

Quote:
IT giant Cisco Systems is negotiating a lease for around 130,000 square feet in the mammoth property at 433 W. Van Buren St., sources familiar with discussions said.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
That would be a great get!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 4:47 PM

I was unfortunately out of town during the CAF Open House last Oct, but would have loved to have been able to join for the OPO tour and seeing these recent inside pictures of the spiral staircase/hot tube (haha) has me thinking that it might be possible to arrange some time to get in to check out the building. Any advice on how I might go about setting something up like that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development