HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 8:45 PM
ハルウララ

Provincial Currency - Who Would Your Province Select To Be On Bills?

Thought crossed my mind yesterday for a little exercise:

If your province had its own currency and had to issue its own $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 bills who would be on these bills and why? Who are some of the most influential people in your province's history? This isn't a thread for how this would happen or what circumstances would lead to this situation - it's just focused on the hypothetical.

My first thoughts would be that Robert L. Stanfield would be on Nova Scotian currency, and one of my picks for New Brunswick would definitely be Willie O'Ree. Would Levesque find his way on a bill in Quebec? Louis Riel?

For New Brunswick I imagine Louis J. Robichaud would be an easy bet. Given NB's linguistic makeup, arguments and controversy would almost certainly arise from this process, but Robichaud has certainly cemented his place in NB history enough regardless of how one feels about his time in office to warrant inclusion on currency.

I don't have a lot of background in provincial histories and who you lot think are important in shaping that history so i'm really intrigued in finding out how they would shake out.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Our currency while independent still mainly depicted the Royal Family and local landmarks/historic events. This held true through our currency's entire evolution from a locally-printed British pound, to a dual currency, to our own dollar. One of the more recent examples:

These days I imagine we'd put the Royal Family, Philip Francis Little (our first Prime Minister), Joey Smallwood (our first Premier), icebergs/whales/seabirds, Marconi, Cabot, Baltimore, Cupids (first English colony), Gilbert/King's Beach where Newfoundland was claimed for Elizabeth I and started the British Empire, signing of the Atlantic Charter (UK/US during WWII - Churchill and Roosevelt), Royal Newfoundland Regiment/Beaumont Hamel/Caribou, some symbol of music (probably Emile Benoit or Ron Hynes), some Aboriginal symbolism from Labrador (probably art), something mining/forestry related to represent people in the interior, and lighthouses, of course.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Our currency while independent still mainly depicted the Royal Family and local landmarks/historic events. This held true through our currency's entire evolution from a locally-printed British pound, to a dual currency, to our own dollar. One of the more recent examples:

These days I imagine we'd put the Royal Family, Philip Francis Little (our first Prime Minister), Joey Smallwood (our first Premier), icebergs/whales/seabirds, Marconi, Cabot, Baltimore, Cupids (first English colony), Gilbert/King's Beach where Newfoundland was claimed for Elizabeth I and started the British Empire, signing of the Atlantic Charter (UK/US during WWII - Churchill and Roosevelt), Royal Newfoundland Regiment/Beaumont Hamel/Caribou, some symbol of music (probably Emile Benoit or Ron Hynes), some Aboriginal symbolism from Labrador (probably art), something mining/forestry related to represent people in the interior, and lighthouses, of course.
The idea of putting someone foreign on one's money (unless they had a really significant impact - like maybe Cabot in this list - is just so weird to me.

The only French guys I *might* see on Québécois currency would be Jacques Cartier or Samuel de Champlain. I don't see important French kings (François Ier, Henri IV, several of the Louis) who were important in our colonial era on our currency.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Would Levesque find his way on a bill in Quebec? Louis Riel?

René Lévesque almost certainly would if things were to come to that. I doubt Louis Riel would appear on currency. He is regarded as a hero but he was a Manitoban.

Others that might show up there would be Maurice Richard (already on the Canadian 5-dollar note) and chansonnier Félix Leclerc would also be a pretty good bet. Maybe chansonnier Gilles Vigneault too, although he is still alive at the moment.

For a religious personnage, perhaps Frère André.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 9:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The idea of putting someone foreign on one's money (unless they had a really significant impact - like maybe Cabot in this list - is just so weird to me.

The only French guys I *might* see on Québécois currency would be Jacques Cartier or Samuel de Champlain. I don't see important French kings (François Ier, Henri IV, several of the Louis) who were important in our colonial era on our currency.
That might ring true with some people here, I imagine - but I think the majority are still very comfortable with Royal/Canadian/American people of note, especially regarding events that took place here. Amelia Earheart is another good example, or Alcock and Brown for the same reasons.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 10:50 PM

Saskatchewan would have to have Gordie Howe, Gordie Howe, Gordie Howe, and Gordie Howe!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:19 PM

For Manitoba, its gotta be Louis Riel, Tommy Douglas, and Jonathan Toews.

F*ck it, Teemu Selanne.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 11:59 PM

This is a neat idea for a thread.

For BC the first two that come to mind that would be a must IMO are Emily Carr (who I actually hope is chosen as the first woman besides the Queen on Canada's next printing of currency) and Sir James Douglas.

After that it becomes more murky. A strong case could be made for Captain George Vancouver.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 12:51 AM
The New Republic

For Ontario, my vote goes to Superman. He wasn't born in Ontario, but who was. He's already on our stamps and commemorative coins so bills isn't much of a stretch. A Toronto boy, Joe Shutster, invented Superman. He modeled the Daily Planet after the Toronto Star and Metropolis on Toronto. Superman is an honorary Ontarian.

Courtesy of CBC

Courtesy of Canadian Mint

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 12:56 AM

My votes for Ontario:

- Wayne Gretzky ($20 bill, which will also be known as a 99)
- Sir Frederick Banting ($100 bill)
- Roberta Bondar ($50 bill)
- Neil Young ($10 bill. Standard for paying for cover at bars with a band will be to give them Neil Young.)
- Alex Trebek ($5 bill, and any Daily Double values. Must include mustache.)

If we still had a $2 bill and $1 bill, I'd also add the entire Tragically Hip, and Howie Mandel.

Notice I did not include any politicians. Though I would not object to some historical premiers such as John S. McDonald or even William Davis.

Last edited by manny_santos; Sep 6, 2016 at 1:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:37 AM
New Brunswick booster!

I believe Louis J Robichaud, Who made New Brunswick bilingual, would be a contender for our own bills. Max Aitken, later Lord Beaverbrook, would also be a good contender due to his huge philanthropic works for the province. The Queen as well. I think an Acadian flag would be a nice touch. There would also be potatoes and trees hahaha

I know this isn't what this thread is for but here is just a little history of banking in New Brunswick before the big 5 banks took over.

The Bank of New Brunswick was founded in Saint John in 1820 and bought out by The Bank of Nova Scotia in 1913. The first headquarters of the Bank of New Brunswick was built in 1820 in Saint John, here is a picture dating 1865:

2016-09-05_10-16-29 by James McGrath, on Flickr

The second Bank of New Brunswick headquarters built on the same lot after the great fire of 1877 in Saint John which destroyed the majority of the business area of the city(the building with the columns on the left of the photo):

2016-09-05_10-27-27 by James McGrath, on Flickr

Some bank notes:

2016-09-05_10-12-41 by James McGrath, on Flickr

2016-09-05_10-12-51 by James McGrath, on Flickr

The Peoples Bank of New Brunswick was founded in 1864 in Fredericton and was bought out by The Bank of Montreal in 1907 (not the legislature on both bills):

2016-09-05_10-13-00 by James McGrath, on Flickr

2016-09-05_10-13-14 by James McGrath, on Flickr

Last edited by KnoxfordGuy; Sep 6, 2016 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:41 AM

Also for BC: Terry Fox!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:50 AM

For NB Romeo Leblanc would make the $5 with the Centennial Bridge on the back.

The $10 would have Charles Fisher (our first Premier) along with a picture of the Hopewell Rocks.

The $20 would stick with Her Majesty with the Legislature on the reverse.

The $50 would feature the aforementioned Louis Robichaud along with a picture of Saint John Harbour during the heyday of shipbuilding.

The $100 would feature Samuel Tilley as well as a view of the Saint John River valley.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
The second Bank of New Brunswick headquarters built on the same lot after the great fire of 1877 in Saint John which destroyed the majority of the business area of the city(the building with the columns on the left of the photo):

2016-09-05_10-27-27 by James McGrath, on Flickr
Here's that building today for anyone curious.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.27099...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 2:18 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quebec and Alberta Represent!

wookiepeedia

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 2:50 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Also for BC: Terry Fox!
I agree, but isn't Terry Fox already on our money? I would also agree with Emily Carr, and would add Pauline Johnson. Outside of that for BC, it would have to, by default, include someone named Clarke or Campbell, and maybe Bill Vander Zalm.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:09 AM

For Alberta -- Louise Caroline Alberta, Alexander Rutherford, Paul Kane, Ernest Manning, Peter Lougheed, Ralph Klein, Lois Hole, Emily Murphy, Louise McKinney, Nellie McClung, Wayne Gretzky...

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:25 AM

Grant MacEwan, OC AOE (August 12, 1902 – June 15, 2000) was a farmer, Professor at the University of Saskatchewan, Dean of Agriculture at the University of Manitoba, the 28th Mayor of Calgary and both a Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) and the ninth Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, Canada. MacEwan University in Edmonton, Alberta and the MacEwan Student Centre at the University of Calgary as well as the neighbourhoods of MacEwan Glen in Calgary and MacEwan in Edmonton are named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_MacEwan

Lois Elsa Hole, CM, AOE (née Veregin; 30 January 1929 – 6 January 2005) was a Canadian politician, businesswoman, academician, professional gardener and best-selling author. She was the 15th Lieutenant Governor of Alberta from 10 February 2000 until her death. She was known as the "Queen of Hugs" for breaking with protocol and hugging almost everyone she met, including journalists, diplomats and other politicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lois_Hole

Edgar Peter Lougheed, PC CC AOE QC, (/ˈlɔːhiːd/ law-heed; July 26, 1928 – September 13, 2012) was a Canadian lawyer and politician. He served as the tenth Premier of Alberta from 1971 to 1985 as a Progressive Conservative.
Lougheed was the grandson of Sir James Alexander Lougheed, an early senator and prominent Alberta businessman. After a short football career he entered business and practised law in Calgary. In 1965, he was elected leader of the Progressive Conservatives, a party that at the time had no seats in the legislature. He led the party back into the legislature in the 1967 provincial election. Four years later, the Tories won power with 49 of the 75 seats in the legislature, defeating the Social Credit Party which had governed the province since the 1935 election. Lougheed established a Tory dynasty in the province that was uninterrupted until 2015 when the Alberta NDP won a majority government, the longest unbroken run in government for a provincial party in Canadian history to date. Lougheed was reelected in 1975, 1979 and 1982 provincial elections, winning landslide majorities each time.
As premier, Lougheed furthered the development of the oil and gas resources, and started the Alberta Heritage Fund as a way of ensuring that the exploitation of non-renewable resources would be of long-term benefit to Alberta. He also introduced the Alberta Bill of Rights. Lougheed quarrelled with Pierre Trudeau's federal Liberal government over its 1980 introduction of the National Energy Program. But Lougheed and Trudeau eventually reached an agreement for energy revenue sharing in 1982, after hard bargaining. The successful Calgary bid to host the 1988 Winter Olympics was developed during Lougheed's terms.
From 1996 to 2002, Lougheed served as Chancellor of Queen's University.
Lougheed sat on the boards of a variety of organizations and corporations. In a 2012 edition, the Institute for Research on Public Policy's magazine, Policy Options, named Lougheed the best Canadian premier of the last forty years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lougheed

Emily Murphy (born Emily Gowan Ferguson; 14 March 1868 – 17 October 1933) was a Canadian women's rights activist, jurist, and author. In 1916, she became the first female magistrate in Canada, and in the British Empire. She is best known for her contributions to Canadian feminism, specifically to the question of whether women were "persons" under Canadian law.
Murphy is known as one of the "The Famous Five" (also called "The Valiant Five")—a group of Canadian women's rights activists that also included Henrietta Muir Edwards, Nellie McClung, Louise McKinney and Irene Parlby. In 1927, the women launched the "Persons Case," contending that women could be "qualified persons" eligible to sit in the Senate. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that they were not. However, upon appeal to the Judicial Committee of the British Privy Council, the court of last resort for Canada at that time, the women won their case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Murphy

Ralph Phillip Klein, OC AOE (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) was a Canadian politician who served as the 12th Premier of Alberta and leader of the Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta from 1992 until his retirement in 2006. Klein's tenure as premier ended when the Alberta Progressive Conservatives' new leader, Ed Stelmach, assumed office December 14, 2006, exactly fourteen years after Klein first became Premier. His nickname was "King Ralph", a reference to his political longevity and his management style. Klein continued the PC dynasty, winning four consecutive majority governments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Klein

Last edited by BretttheRiderFan; Sep 6, 2016 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:29 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
For NB Romeo Leblanc would make the $5 with the Centennial Bridge on the back.

The $10 would have Charles Fisher (our first Premier) along with a picture of the Hopewell Rocks.

The $20 would stick with Her Majesty with the Legislature on the reverse.

The $50 would feature the aforementioned Louis Robichaud along with a picture of Saint John Harbour during the heyday of shipbuilding.

The $100 would feature Samuel Tilley as well as a view of the Saint John River valley.
No K. C. Irving? What about Captain Highliner?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I agree, but isn't Terry Fox already on our money? I would also agree with Emily Carr, and would add Pauline Johnson. Outside of that for BC, it would have to, by default, include someone named Clarke or Campbell, and maybe Bill Vander Zalm.
What about if we had a cyberpunk/futurist/pop culture theme featuring William Gibson and Douglas Coupland?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada